Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The Tiger is pretty rad but people greatly overestimate it's armor

Knowing nothing about tanks has given me the advantage of underestimating ALL armor and play in a way where I try to avoid ever getting hit in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Karelia is the best map!

Rorac posted:

Get good at it and you might just become the best ground forces player here, Thief.

NickBlasta posted:

Some kind of general knowledge is useful, but literally all I've had to tell my friends who don't know poo poo about a tank is "See front? Shoot any of the bits, like a hatch/view slit/MG port, see side or rear? Shoot that instead." I think that will get you through any tank situation.

Can the average player consistently hit those areas from afar? It seems like the guns aren't laser accurate enough to bank on this. With planes it isn't so much of an issue because you're often firing like at least 4 different guns at the same time into a convergence zone so it's a lot easier to pepper a very specific area of your target.

If I'm close enough to be sure I can hit it, I generally just try to hit them from the side because looking down a barrel is sketchy business.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Planes can be game changers when a team is capping or defending a point. Otherwise, they're basically there to assist the tanks and are only as good as the tanks that are spotting for them when really it should be them spotting for the tanks instead of staring at a minimap blip. Unless they're some kind of cyber-ace, bombing and dive bombing player controlled things is pretty hard.

Once bombers realize they can bomb the mini-bases instead of tanks and really dent the enemy's ticket bar then we'll be seeing a lot more from them. But even then there's going to be assholes like me that only play combined arms to harass other airplanes.

It's basically two separate rounds being played at the same time, except the planes can switch their focus to the ground if the tanks are losing badly. The overlap is great but it will always be a balancing nightmare because for some reason in this game you don't see players doing the same kind of improvised teamwork that you'd see in something like Team Fortress 2 but the game is still built around it so when players actually do figure it out they completely steamroll the enemy team and people think its unfair. Having proper voice chat would really help and I don't know how a game developer can look at something like Arma2 and not want to copy how they handled communicating over the mic.

Thief fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 4, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Basically when flying any 109 you always want to have a significant altitude advantage otherwise you should be flying in the safest direction possible while climbing to reach that point.

The low ammo loads of the Russian fighters will be more than enough to shoot you down if you insist on dogfighting them at the altitudes that CARBs tend to play out in instead of taking them up high or attacking from above with an energy level that makes them unable to do anything but defend themselves.

Thief fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 4, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Basically, yeah, what Thief says. You do outclimb them, and will outclimb them faster higher up. Be patient and Get High :350:.

Be careful though because the types of Yaks and 109s that face each other are so comparable that even the slightest energy disadvantage will allow them to climb up your rear end and you'll have to burn all your altitude to try and shake them or pray a wingman comes to peel them off.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

bUm posted:

I am frightened by the possibility of a F2P (yeah, I know TF2 is these days), international, and adminless (no one to remove XxJoexMommasxAssxX playing obnoxious music, no kickvote [maybe a mutevote?], muting could be a hassle... especially in SB planes) microphone comms. It's plainly an advantage (unless they don't speak English and/or you don't speak Russian), but at what cost. At what cost sir!?

Don't spoil why I really want voice chat! It would become the whole reason to play the game. We would learn Russian/Portuguese so much faster...

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Pretty much. You can take a tank AND a plane into a tank battle because they're all combined arms now. Planes still have their own separate joint. Overall the game is much better and more balanced since you left. Teamwork and communication forever OP.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

AtillatheBum posted:

Despite supposedly similar playstyles I just don't work well with these German planes.

Heliosicle posted:

While they have a similar overall playstyle - energy fighting/bnz, the way you go about it with German planes is quite different because they don't have the same very high speed control (at least in 109's).

The German fighter playstyle focuses on strictly killing the poo poo out of other planes.

The USA fighter playstyle is more about endurance with huge ammo loads that can double as an equally good ground attack weapons. Both dogfight at their best at very high altitudes but because of the USA's versatility many inexperienced players will go for the easy ground targets while there is still an enemy threat in the air. Since altitude is essentially your lifebar this almost always ends in disaster.

While USA is a fantastic nation overall, I really wouldn't recommend playing them as your main focus anymore. This is mostly because of the matchmaker overpopulation and general pubbie nature of the players that play them. Just check out the American planes that can be found on other nations:
    :godwinning:/ :canada: CL-13 Sabre - actually better than the :911: one, making it the absolute best plane in the entire game in terms of raw performance. Available through regular F2P gameplay, no need for premium.
    :godwinning: P-47 Hitlerbolt - Instead of rockets/bombs you sometimes get an air start making this the closest you can get to "pay-2-win" in this game.
    :ussr: B-25 Mitchell - All the fun of a B-25 but you get to bomb other players in combined arms.
    :britain: F6F Hellcat - The Hellcat is one of the most OP planes for its rank on USA. The Brit one has a higher BR but is still loving badass because :radcat:
    :britain: Mustang w/cannons - It's a Mustang. With cannons.
    :ussr: PBY Catalina - Gigantic flying boat plane to harass lowbies with.
    :ussr: Kittyhawk - RedTailsBlackJesus.gif goes here.
    :ussr: Aircobras/Kingcobras - From what I've heard, Russia used more of these IRL than USA.
    :japan: F4U Corsair - The least popular plane but really great when flown properly. Fills a really good gap in its era on the Japanese tree as a pure BnZ fighter. It's worth noting that most people flying this are very experienced cyber-aces. Also, naval planes are automatically fun because they have tailhooks to land on carriers.

These are the loving best planes from :911: and I highly recommend investing in them so that you do not have deal with as many random shitlords for teammates. They also have cool paintjobs.

There's really not much reason to play USA beyond Era II unless you really seriously like the 'proper' P-51, F8F Bearcat, F9F Panther (which is the coolest looking plane in the game imo) and B-17/B-24 bombers or you don't want to spend any money on this awesome free game.

But you could throw a few Gold Eagles at one of the premium planes I listed above and level a different nation twice as fast while flying your favorite American plane and not be limited to pure energy fighting/bombing... that is unless your favorite plane is the Twin Mustang, in which case you probably should be flying USA. :patriot:

Thief fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 4, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

The real reason like roughly 99.9% of the people play USA is because they think they still have the best jets. I'm just trying to help them not waste their time, only their money.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Zsinjeh posted:

Pretty sure it's because everybody are way more familiar with american planes from movies and just general history knowledge. B-17s, Mustangs, Corsairs, Thunderbolts, Lightning. It's also pretty great that they all look so vastly different. Jets are a cool extra.

There's dozens of Zeroes, 109s and Spitfires with only superficial changes like loadout and engine performance. They could and do perform vastly different but if they still look the same it's hard to get excited for some. Soviets have a good blend too but they're much less popular to the average joe then USA.

This is probably more accurate but holy poo poo the in-game chat in War Thunder is really something.

Thief fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 4, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

That's great if they make sure to limit the daily events to things that aren't Germany vs Russia. People are going to start seeing summadat pilot poo poo going down from the silent cyber-aces that are too busy seal-clubbing everyone.

As for the squad events, they were hardly used across all game modes. That system is the first thing I've seen in game that's just failed entirely and it really has no reason to stay. Even if you get a squad together, you have to loving sit there and wait for another squad to organize and just so happen to que for squad events. I'd rather see them implement a perma-Floats! mode or some other gimmick for cartoon fun.

Fauxtool posted:

if you are going to disagree with the post you should be able to explain it. He said these are some of the best and you said no this is my favorite. Thats just going off topic

The funny thing is my post said that you should still fly USA if you really like P-51s and/or don't want to spend money on the game.

Thief fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 4, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

To be fair the only thing you're missing out on by not spending money on this game are some cool unique foreign/prototype planes. Well that and time because lol XP grinding.

The best thing about War Thunder is that it is not pay-2-win.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

More like the :france: D.520 and :australia: Boomerang/Wirray which own.

But I know that's not your thing so there's also the Assender UFO on :911: that you cannot afford and the BTD-1/XP-50.

And loving lol, the American Zero/Hien and German P-47s are the closest this game will ever get to actually being Pay-2-Win because of reasons that have been explained many times before so I won't bother typing about it.

Thief fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 4, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

That is most of them. There's literally one I didn't mention. You're making GBS threads on the unique planes because they 'suck'. And the non-unique ones because they are reskins when that isn't even the reason why I was suggesting people get them.

I don't care if you don't spend money on this free game or that you only play USA. In fact, I prefer it that way. It's really cool that you only want to fly the P-51, they're great planes. But there's well over 100 different planes in this game and I intend on trying them all out for the sake of variety because this is largely an airplane game and I genuinely don't care if they are good or bad. I don't mind spending what ends up being the price of any other videogame to skip the grind.

Thief fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 4, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Also paint your tank bright yellow because its hard to aim when looking into the sun.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

FYI shooting in the slit can sometimes lead to unwanted complications.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I think that's why he missed. The tactical glare induced seizure is a valid defensive upgrade.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

X-ray tank skin with skeletons for crew.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

The Il-2's guns will kill the poo poo out of any planes in the area. Just look at the vid I posted like a page or two ago, they're practically on par with American .50s in terms of killing range.

Rhopunzel posted:

I can kill a tank using all my rockets, and because there isn't any bombsight I can't accurately place bombs and always miss. What am I doing wrong?

It's actually easier to dive bomb in sim battles because all you have to do is set a timer, dive in and release the bomb as your target disappears under your nose.

Otherwise, you just gotta eyeball that poo poo from 3rd person view.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

Jingles is a hack who is talking a lot without actually saying much useful. Video could be 14 min shorter

But that's the best part! He talks as if he's doing some kind of creepy ASMR fetish video.

He autographed our tanks with HEAT rounds the other day.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Ludicro posted:

Any idea what is causing the excessive shinyness on custom skins?

It's probably the default normal map not meshing well with your custom skin. Try deleting it or using a blank one if it insists on loading one.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

LAME recruitment denied.

Um... I think that guy might actually be a goon, the name seems familiar?

But we've been getting a lot of random applications lately though so for future reference to anyone applying, GET ON MUMBLE! The only actual requirement I've set is that we want people who are actually trying to play together because teamwork and communication are the only genuinely OP things in this game. Skill doesn't matter, nor does memorizing all the angles and and armor thicnkesses - we just don't want there to be like 100 dudes in that don't even know each other. There is already a 'goons' chat channel to idle in if that's what you're looking for. :getin:

And to give you an idea of the kind of random pubbies that are usually applying, they are in regards to the following kind of chat spam:
    [LAME] is a Muslim Only clan looking for dedicated bombers!
    [LAME] is a Christian squadron recruiting mature, family friendly gamers. Our members do not believe in cursing during this online war crime simulator. We have a guild bank!
    [LAME] is a virgin only clan looking for intentional and/or born again virgins! We have a 1 slot TeamSpeak and fly with steering wheels only!
    [LAME] is a pacifist squadron that flies with Arados only because killing is mean and this is first and foremost a realistic flight SIMULATOR. Not everyone in war is a murderer.
    [LAME] is now recruiting people that don't want to actually play with us but have a funny tag! We don't have a teamspeak or a website but if you have any questions regarding the clan or game in general please PM Jingles for more info.
    [LAME] Ladies Are Mostly Enrolled is a GIRLS ONLY squadron looking for the next Lily of Stalingrad. Males are considered only if they are willing to obediently serve the matriarchy.
    [LAME] Losing and Making Excuses is recruiting hardcore cyber-warriors for ranked competitive battles. If you think you have what it takes, please schedule an appointment to begin your tryouts. No women, no kids. Just aces. Sorry.
So forgive us if it seems like we're blowing anyone off, but let us know who you are instead of simply submitting the request and never saying anything.

Thief fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 5, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Subyng posted:

It's not confirmation bias though, literally every plane death today was an insta-kill and literally every plane death before today (AA excepted) was a slow death. I've played very few games so far so I can account for every single one. My question was rhetorical anyway, it was just annoying getting killed with 1-2 hits every game.

Except that is quite literally confirmation bias. Are the planes more agile now because I stopped getting hit today? :smugdog:

For real though, focus on not getting hit so that your mind isn't busy considering lesser things such as durability. Despite what some butthurt people say, this is actually a legit strategy because positioning and situational awareness are extremely important in this game and it directs your attention away from potential plane durability when instead it should be more towards one of the 50 other things to consider that will have a far greater impact on your situation when flying in a dogfight.

And of course it was rhetorical because you didn't even use a question mark but lol people are going to answer anyway since you posted it on an internet videogame forum for nerds.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Always amuses me to see bullet hole damage when you've not actually been shot.

I've noticed this as well but after having made a few skins, it seems there is a blanket damage texture that goes over the entire default skin. This is for the outside of the plane though. I have dug through the files for the inside of the cockpit but I assume they're largely similar though likely with more stages of destruction because of how close up and detailed it all is.

One cool thing about cockpit view is how planes that don't have fully closed cockpits will have differing transparencies. Like if there's two sliding glass plates on the side and they overlap loosely, you can peek through the gap and be looking at the actual sky out there. This seems to apply to bullet holes as well. And each cockpit seems to have its own wind sounds as air rushes by, which you may have noticed flying the 112 and :italy: planes.

Thief fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 5, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

They're like hood ornaments. Japanese bombs have little stipes painted on them to make them aesthetically pleasing and to show off to your enemy as you beat them in a turn fight with bombs mounted.

See also: the 2x250kgs mounted on my Ki-43 Hayabusa.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

They're a bit tricky to use, but I solo'd the entirety of the Zhengzhou map with them once. It was something really dumb like 50+ ground kills, half of which were pillboxes and light pillboxes.

:siren: confirmation bias!!1 :siren:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I unlocked the Lancaster because I'm stupid, and I flew it for the same reason. Because just being a Lancaster wasn't enough of a target, I put a giant 'BRITAIN 2, GERMANY 0' on the wings. So many loving Germans in my rear end all night long.

The good news is that the Lancaster is actually really cheap to repair and carries a pretty good bomb load, so it's actually a pretty good farm bomber. The bad news is that the defensive armament kind of sucks, and it's engines make a sound like cooing morning doves for some unfathomable loving reason. Still, it isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I like it.

I've seen Lancasters do some crazy poo poo. Britain may not have a G8N1 but otherwise it is probably the best Era IV nation in the game right now :britain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8_5Qc1mK54&t=20s

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Subyng posted:

How do I get the instructor to cooperate in RB? I feel like flying mouse-joystick in SB isn't any harder compared to this.

Sorry if I'm late to the discussion, but you seriously just point the mouse where you want to go and the plane flies there. The instructor pretty much does the rest and helps keep you from falling out of the sky. I think my favorite thing about the instructor is that it will do all the rudder stuff perfectly for you, though much of the fun in flying with a joystick is being able to actually min/max your rudder to really get your plane to do summadat pilot poo poo. Also, slipping around like an air drifter is neat but the War Thunder flight model doesn't seem too implement this as much as other flight sims.

Anyway, to give an example, this kind of mouse cursor movement:

Would look like this in game:

To avoid any confusion, please note that the in-game mouse cursor is actually a circle shaped circle instead of an arrow.

Once you've mastered the art of pointing the mouse cursor in the direction you want to go, you can start left clicking the button to shoot at other players. The most simple way I can think of explaining it is like opening a folder on your computer. If you're not familiar with this, it's basically when you hover your mouse cursor over the thing and click on it until something happens:

When I kill an enemy player I often think of it as simply opening a file. If you apply this to War Thunder then you can shoot down enemy players for pixel experience points and non-premium currencies:

This is the true secret technique to being a cyber-ace in War Thunder.

Azran, please add this important guide to the OP - preferably next to the ones about armor thickness and ammo belts.

MaNiAk posted:

Lazy potshot at a plane ends up being incredibly rewarding, I'm never gonna be able to do this again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2NUijteiks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH-djASVKQs

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

On the PC you just hold J for 3 seconds. A little timer thingie will pop up, so for the PlayStation try just pressing random buttons for 3 seconds until you bail out.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

There's a lot of trial and error in energy fighting no matter how good your aim gets because positioning is usually the deciding factor and we have this big huge loving sky to fly around in.

Use your failed attacks to figure out what does and does not work when diving on a target. You'll start noticing patterns in everything, the most important of which might be that of your target.

If your target is unaware of you, look around them as if you WERE them. The majority of players in this game are extremely bad at managing their tunnel vision. They will get completed fixated on something and you can use this to predict what they will do. An example of this is if you're flying within diving range of an enemy but you see that they're flying towards a bot. Even though bots are easy/free kills, they will totally loving zone in on it and won't even see you coming. They will fly straight at that loving bot as you dive up their rear end. This is probably the best time to practice snap shooting outside of actively scissoring someone in a dogfight.

If your target IS aware of you, watch how they handle you bouncing back on them multiple times. It is generally easy to tell which direction they will break in these moments because the planes involved are at close range and often already turning in a way that will favor one direction over the other. If you see someone pull a 270 roll in this situation to turn in the opposite direction of what they're initially trying to make it look like then you are almost positively playing against a person that knows how to defend themselves. Though you won't be in this situation very often, that 270 roll thing is also a great indicator of how good the player you're chasing is when zig-zagging through a dense furball. People that are very experienced at defensive maneuvering tend to do this a lot to either shake their tail or bait their attacker into scissoring with them.

When you break off to reset for another fully charged attack they will be ready for you, but this time they will likely be in a neutral line that will make it less obvious which direction they will break when you dive on them. On the first dive, whichever way they turn is generally their main defense and is what they're most comfortable with. I'd be willing to bet lions that they'll turn that way the second time you attack unless they're experienced. If your attacks continue to fail, see how long it takes for them to change the direction of their defensive maneuvers. More often than not a pattern forms which can allow you to adjust your dive in a way that will have you lined up for a great high angle shot. Imagine where that little lead indicator would be if you were still playing arcade and shoot for it. These particular sort of high deflection shots own because your target will be turning. A plane that is on the defensive and turning is very unlikely to change its direction once it's locked in because it can easily end up putting them at a further disadvantage. So there they are locked in a defensive turn and unless they know how to roll their plane in a way that minimizes its profile to you as the attacker, you will have a wide open shot on multiple critical areas of their plane like the cockpit, engine(s), wings, and elevator. At the worst, you'll have to saw through their wingroots and even that is a pretty great option considering most planes have hundreds and even thousands of bullets.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I personally originally turned on IAS for that very reason. It's also good if you want to see how close you can push planes to stalling without crashing. Especially helpful for holding the tightest turns for as long as possible and doing sketchy carrier landings.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I wish they would do an event where you get points for successfully landing a plane of your choice on a carrier. And of course there would be assholes trying to ram you or honest accidental collisions from overcrowding but it would only add to the fun.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Subyng, the level of miscommunication is very funny when you seem to always feel the need to argue semantics after someone replies to you. It's almost as if you already know the answers you want to hear.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

wow :gaijin: has featured a good Vid on flap/throttle useage. Keep in mind how you fly is more important than what % of :s: your plane is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIc2JDGe2ig

The climbing spirals as seen in that video are one of my favorite ways to defend myself against pubbies when you are alone and/or can't rely on a wingman. Once you get comfortable with them you can also use these spirals to force all planes involved to stall close enough to the deck that you'll pull out but if they try to follow you they will lawn dart. It works really loving well when some pubbie in a plane like the P-38 Lightning is trying to fight vertically with you at tree top level. You don't get a point for the kill but it is just as satisfying.

It's also a good option if you know you can outrun someone flat out on the deck because you're basically fully draining the energy levels of both planes involved and unless they can keep up with you in the turns you're going to pull away from them and totally reverse the offensive/defensive situation.

Fauxtool posted:

I never find myself in those situations where I need such expert flap/throttle management to secure a kill. Its a lot easier to just play safe and prey on easy targets.

They really help in planes like the Yak/La that don't exactly specialize in turn fighting but are still good turn fighters.

Proper throttle and flap management means everything when you want to turn fight in a plane like the F-series 109s that are generally capable of doing it but only when you're min/maxing the plane to its limits like a Marsielle wheraboo.

But overall, yeah it doesn't really matter. It's about the same as memorizing tank charts to gain an edge that will only help someone that already knows how to play.

Thief fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 16, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Subyng posted:

Isn't this what it's like literally all of the time?

It's not literally every round, but I mean it's pretty much expected to see people complaining about it in the in-game text chat on both USA/Britain whenever they spawn in because just about everyone is sick of it by now. It's basically like Korea except Korea is actually a good map because of how the mountains and ground targets influence gameplay in a meaningful way.

Vahakyla posted:

Personally, I believe that Subyng should not stop posting in this thread.

And Subyng, the offer still stands. Pop into mumble, find me and I swear that I will help you become better at this game with the patience of a saint without being a dick at all.

Take the offer.

For real, get in mumble and play with goons because teamwork is OP.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Subyng posted:

Wait, this is on RB? Why are US and British pilots flying against each other?

Because in the deep and intricate alternate history lore of Wär Thünder, it clearly states that :911:&:britain: prepared for landing on Hokkaido by flying thousands of B-17/Lancasters at each other while Grieffonspits dueled the UFO age Bearcat. Well, either that or because matchmaker is lopsided as poo poo from the lack of people queing as Britain/Japan... but I don't have the exact patchnote to back my claim.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lol @ woop speaking through the interdimensional lag vortex as the corsair in front of you got sucked into a portal that transported it to hokkaido to fight n1ks, creating an entirely new alternate history war thunder timeline where germany won the war.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

It's times like these I wish I memorized those over-penetration charts.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

Man, tier 4 Germany is pretty awful now. The B-17pocalypse is way worse than the Yerpocalypse ever was.

When it comes to RBs/SBs, I would say that Era 4 Germany is the best it has ever been for them since the implementation of a matchmaker.

Those 30mm cannons are probably the most efficient thing to kill a B-17 with aside from ramming them. In general, the key is to attack them from the front for an easy kill but pretty much every Era IV German fighter has 30mms of some sort so you can really just hit them from any angle so long as you're properly BnZing. The problems I see from most people stem from when they don't break off when those .50 tracers start to light them up or they're too impatient to climb to the proper height to dive on them because B-17s can be a bitch to not only catch up to but get significantly above them. Overall, I think the game is actually a lot better than it was now that bombers are actually useful. But they're quite boring when compared to fighters so I don't bother flying them much.

IMO the two best nations at Era IV are Britain and Germany - both of which more often than not have to go up against USA and their B-17 horde. After you deal with the B-17s or simply ignore them, you often actually totally outnumber the US fighters making them rather easy to take down so long as they don't play the endurance game.

Yeah, you will frequently lose via ground targets/tickets draining when playing against USA but other than a minor hit to your RP/lion gain, it really doesn't feel like a proper loss until someone actually shoots your rear end down. Most of the losing rounds as Brits/Nazis ends with you chasing one last American around the map because endurance fighting is basically OP when the maps tend to auto-complete in their favor. But when it comes to straight up fighting, the only other nation that I feel has as great odds at endgame is endgame Japan.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

Yes. Was just curious though. 2,000 + golden eagles seems like a lot for squadrons especially if they don't do anything.

If you're not in a tagged squadron then just apply to [LAME] and fly with us in mumble. We play the poo poo out of Germany because planes like the 109 are actually some of the best for their ranks in Era II/III and later on they get the Mig15/Sabre. They also have the P-47 and La-5FN which among some of the best premium planes in the game for meta reasons.

TehKeen posted:

So I just found out about the mid-tier 109s getting 20mm gunpods under the wings - I had no idea this was even a thing. The promise of tripling my mineshot output is very appealing, but are there any downsides? (other than the listen ones)

Geisladisk posted:

I find the performance hit from gunpods is barely noticable, but the firepower and ammo boost from having two extra 20mms is.

Yeah, unless you want to do some cyber-ace bullshit and turn fight people in your 109s using proper flaps/throttle management, there is generally no reason NOT to take gunpods and a large fuel load. You may climb and turn a bit slower but once you gain the altitude advantage you will never really lose it in a 109 unless you are fighting against a very competent player or a group of people working as a team.

Enigma89 posted:

What about the La-5 and La-7, are they basically smaller FW-190s?

La-5FNs are basically 109s that have better rollrates, accelerate to their max speed faster and excel at mid-to-low altitude dogfighting. A 109 can outdive a La-5 and fight at higher altitudes with better gun loadouts and energy retention while the La-5 is generally just more agile.

For what its worth, they are so incredibly similar that it's really just who can fly/position themselves better that usually ends up winning. I would say that the in the case of the La-5FN variant will have the edge vs pretty much any 109 it goes up against in a straight up fight but in every other case the 109 can more often than not completely hold the energy advantage over the La's head and push their face into the deck after multiple BnZ/bouncing passes.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Era IV :britain: kinda owns except for that one Tempest with the monster guns. But even that plane has been downtiered enough to be at least somewhat competitive and like all bloop planes its a fun gimmick.

Also, the Mosquito is one of the most surprisingly great planes in the game despite its recent nerf when you consider that its a legit heavy fighter at Era IV that goes up against basically the best prop planes in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Japan's high tier prop games are amazing though. The 30mm Ki-84, N1K, Zero and even the occaisional G8N1 play together so well and often get maps like Saipan where its pretty much totally in their favor.

My only concerns with the matchmaker are keeping a biplane focused level for new players and having a properly split up endgame jet and lowbie jet games. Everything in between Era II-IV could just be randomly mixed with a hint of BR deciding what actually gets into games but really it doesn't even matter when you look at planes like the Hellcat that can hold their own against practically anything.

• Locked thread