Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

The only band I can think of who's done the "reunion" or "comeback" and gotten it right is Swans. They reunited with a purpose and they're different and better than they've ever been.
I know this is a pretty lame example but Meat Loaf's comeback in the early 90s was pretty sweet after all the poo poo and drugs that happened in the 80s after he left Jim Steinman

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Also, Trey was in Mr. Bungle and Patton recruited him for KFAD recording duties, but it was pretty well-known that the music wasn't Trey's cup of tea (not experimental enough for him, he wasn't really a fan of rock music either), and when he said he was leaving the band and not doing the tour, it wasn't much of a surprise.
And I imagine working with Patton on both Mr. Bungle along with FNM must have been a pain because as much as I love Patton he kind of seems like a guy who is a perfectionistic rear end in a top hat and can be really really petty when you slight him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

achillesforever6 posted:

And I imagine working with Patton on both Mr. Bungle along with FNM must have been a pain because as much as I love Patton he kind of seems like a guy who is a perfectionistic rear end in a top hat and can be really really petty when you slight him.

I wonder if that was really the case in Bungle considering Spruance and Trevor Dunn were the more dominant songwriters.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

comes along bort posted:

I wonder if that was really the case in Bungle considering Spruance and Trevor Dunn were the more dominant songwriters.
Well this is from a 2007 interview with Trey about why they hadn't spoken in years

quote:

I know this is a tired old topic, but my readers would kill me if I didn't ask about it – why have you and Mike Patton not spoken in years? Did your friendship die out because of Mr. Bungle or Faith No More, or did you just go separate ways, or something else entirely?
As time wears on you find out who your friends are, and who they aren't. Mike and I always had the best working relationship imaginable. Really, very very good and fruitful. There are other things in life we see differently. I don't think those things are irreconcilable at all. But when you get used to having things your own way, and certain people around you resist the "natural order" of becoming subordinate to you, you may start nursing resentments. Even lashing out at them and calling them egomaniacs etc. for not assuming the position. I think in my case it was too painful for Patton to realize that where there are no subordinates there is no insubordination. Like most of us, Mike tends to begin the process of deciding whether or not he can afford to discard a person's point of view altogether, rather than facing certain difficult facts of life. So to answer your question, there was never any big mess between he and I specifically. The general dysfunction coming from being expected to silently endure more and more of this emerging top-down/top-dog order-barking thing he'd taken to just ended up getting really tiresome for everyone involved. In a band, strong personalities need to know where to draw the line on this kind of stuff. Anyway, since it wasn't going to happen, I was the idiot who started to draw that line. I admit I had more emotional involvement in the process than would be neccesary for a non-robot, having poured comparatively ridiculously copious doses of my blood into the project. Patton's subsequent resentment towards me is a fairly predictable outcome. You don't stand up to him and stay off the poo poo-list. A bummer, yeah, but its essentially a self-protecting reflex action - something I don't really feel a need to hold against him too much. He has his way. It won't change. And after all why should it? This method works well for him overall -- who am I to question it? I dare say it's even part of his charm. (we are a nation of pathological narcissists after all!). Whatever. Really, I feel fondly about the time we spent making music together, and feel we did some great things. And, while I am diametrically opposed to it on a human level, over time I do appreciate the clarity of his cut and dry approach: how black and white it makes things. You're either in the club, or out of the club. Unfortunately, I have to say I do prefer life as an excommunicate from that kind of 'friendship'. I know he prefers it that way too. I'm sure both of us would agree it was a good run, though.
I was happy to see Patton show up for that one Secret Chiefs 3 song though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKMVzmoYnLU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Real Thing and Angel Dust are getting reissued, both as double CD and double 180g vinyl versions. The extra discs contain various B-sides and rarities that have been released in the past, but hey, fancy vinyl releases.

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Well this is from a 2007 interview with Trey about why they hadn't spoken in years

I was happy to see Patton show up for that one Secret Chiefs 3 song though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKMVzmoYnLU

I've seen them play together a few times since 2010 and I've noticed Patton at a SC3 show or two. I don't know if Bungle is coming back, but it seems like things have improved since that 2007 interview.

And that song is awesome. I need a whole album of that.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

http://loudwire.com/duff-mckagan-faith-no-more-gimp-onstage/
This is pretty great

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Is anyone else watching Faith No More live on Yahoo! Screen?

Edit: holy crap, Chuck Mosley.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

tarlibone posted:

Is anyone else watching Faith No More live on Yahoo! Screen?

I am.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
It was kind-of cool seeing Chuck Mosley get up there for a song. And it was also a decent reminder of why they hired Mike Patton.

But still, cool move by FNM.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!
The set list disappointed me... no Digging the Grave, As The Worm Turns, or Cone of Shame :(

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Jeffe posted:

The set list disappointed me... no Digging the Grave, As The Worm Turns, or Cone of Shame :(

I still haven't listened to the leaded Sol invictus, so I don't know CoS. Digging the Grave is a cool tune, but I'd prefer to hear What a Day to that. It's just a little wackier, a little nuttier, a little faithnomorier.

But skipping As the Worm Turns... yeah, I felt that. When I saw Chuck come out, I wondered if maybe we'd hear We Care a Lot or As the Worm Turns. But now, we got... Mark Bowen.

Other than that, I liked the setlist. I would have liked to hear some other stuff, like Land of Sunshine, Falling to Pieces, Woodpecker from Mars, and Last Cup of Sorrow. And As the Worm Turns, of course. But, hey, what can you do? I can't get tickets to the nearest show to me (in Chicago), so this was a treat.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!
Yeah, I shouldn't complain, they're not coming to where I am at all. And Mark Bowen was a huge waste of Chuck, but then he was nervous and not singing his...best. Seconding Land of Sunshine and Last Cup of Sorrow too!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
video of chuck?

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

video of chuck?

It ain't pretty, but here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvU6lzXVwtw

Neat seeing Chuck up there, though it would've been cooler to have seen him perform a more recognizable song than that, especially since they've kept about a handful of tracks from his era in rotation, anyway. Maybe it's just his personal favorite song to perform, I dunno.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!
Full album available for streaming on NPR:
http://www.npr.org/2015/05/10/404672919/first-listen-faith-no-more-sol-invictus

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Skjorte posted:

Neat seeing Chuck up there, though it would've been cooler to have seen him perform a more recognizable song than that, especially since they've kept about a handful of tracks from his era in rotation, anyway. Maybe it's just his personal favorite song to perform, I dunno.

Did I hear him say the he was "nervous" after they played? I still thought it was pretty cool that they brought him up and recognized the early days of the band.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's also streamable on Soundcloud by way of NME.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
From last night in Boston...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlkBTf0BTyo&t=146s

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
why have you posted it? did something happen or is it just a cool performance?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Neat Rollingstone article about how the band got together again
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/faith-no-more-how-rocks-most-contrarian-band-made-up-and-came-back-20150512?page=3

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
FNM were on Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show last night. They played Superhero on a small version of their live-show stage, and for the web, they did a nice version of Easy that Jimmy requested.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I thought they hated that song now.

oriface
Jul 13, 2006

il_cornuto posted:

I thought they hated that song now.

Ugh I don't know, but they play it every show. It was a great ha ha song when they first played it in the nineties, but I hate that it takes a spot in every show since. It is marginally better than that Bee Gees cover that seems to get played every other show.

Got to see them in Philly last night. Got to see the We care a lot-Be aggressive setlist. Very happy to get both of those. These club shows are a great start to this tour. Everyone in the place knew the lyrics to all but the new songs and the crowd karaoke-ing is pretty cool.

Wish I got there in time to get a ticket for the chance to buy an autographed poster. It was planet of the Apes :(

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

oriface posted:

Ugh I don't know, but they play it every show. It was a great ha ha song when they first played it in the nineties, but I hate that it takes a spot in every show since. It is marginally better than that Bee Gees cover that seems to get played every other show.
A shame they don't just do one whole bit that is nothing but covers.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

That'd be quite an eclectic show.

Easy, followed by I Wanna gently caress Myself, and then Greenfields... you might actually force some people to have an aurally induced seizure.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

tarlibone posted:

That'd be quite an eclectic show.

Easy, followed by I Wanna gently caress Myself, and then Greenfields... you might actually force some people to have an aurally induced seizure.
I know I bring up Mr. Bungle a lot but watching those live concerts from the early 90s are great because they would just do a few of their songs and all these covers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE3_EL7aVi8
@22:00 they do the MTV Theme / MTV News; Rhythm Nation; Free Fallin'; Living in Sin; We Didn't Start the Fire; Love Shack; Heaven

And its glorious

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

They covered Rich Girl by Hall and Oates at the Boston show so who knows

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

achillesforever6 posted:

They played Deep Purple's Highway Star back in '97 when I saw them.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/05/ranking-every-faith-no-more-song-from-worst-to-best/
Someone spent a lot of time making this and I still can't get over the fact that he thinks the Patton version of "As the Worm Turns" is awful. :catstare:

That and saying RV, Cuckoo for CaCa, Live at Brixton, and Ugly in the Morning are bad

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

achillesforever6 posted:

I know I bring up Mr. Bungle a lot but watching those live concerts from the early 90s are great because they would just do a few of their songs and all these covers

And its glorious

Also they start off with the intro from Slayer's Spill the Blood into Squeeze Me Macaroni. Plus the Thunderball theme around the 30 minute mark.

For me, nothing beats their cover of Billy Squier's The Stroke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1CLGppTsNE

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I would like to check this band out. Where to start?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

rear end Catchcum posted:

I would like to check this band out. Where to start?

Angel Dust

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I really like the new record, I particularly like Cone of Shame, Separation Anxiety, and From the Dead.

Co-sign on Angel Dust being the place to start, I earnestly believe it's a top 10 record for the 90's.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/05/ranking-every-faith-no-more-song-from-worst-to-best/
Someone spent a lot of time making this and I still can't get over the fact that he thinks the Patton version of "As the Worm Turns" is awful. :catstare:

That and saying RV, Cuckoo for CaCa, Live at Brixton, and Ugly in the Morning are bad

I've seen a lot of pointless, lovely lists on the internet, and this one is as lovely as they get.

Yep! Start at the top.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
A multicam edit of the April 23rd show (the one I was at)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctWkoGJxbTk

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Bought the CD at Best Buy for $10 then found out there was a $2 off coupon. :bang:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

I saw a list like this not too long ago for Nirvana. Might have even been the same website.

What's striking here is that the Nirvana list included stuff that you'd only ever think about listening to all the way through because Nirvana did it, and some of it was before they called themselves Nirvana. We're talking 5th generation bootleg cassette recordings from late night college radio station shows. And at no point does the person making the list and commenting feel the need to call anything dumb or stupid.

But here, that's a recurring theme.

No two lists of FNM's songs from worst to best will ever be the same, but the choices here were odd, and his inexplicable fascination with Chuck Mosley as, from what I read, the only singer talented enough to sing Chuck Mosley FNM songs, is just... wow. I mean, wow. Don't get me wrong, I like the first to FNM albums, and Chuck is part of their charm. But I can't think of a song besides maybe Anne's Song that Patton couldn't do better. Every one I've heard Patton do is better, in fact, and now that I think about it, he could make Anne's Song better if he wanted to.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Faster Disco?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The FNM one is cute in a deranged way

http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/05/20/more-metal-missed-connections-faith-no-more-and-mastodon/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Time to out myself as a fan from after Chuck departed. In fact, until a few years ago, I didn't even know who he was.

I HUGE part of FNM's charm for me is Mike's ridiculous vocal stuff. I definitely love the eclectic music and the instrumentation, but for me, patton more or less makes the band what it is.

• Locked thread