Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Mr. Walker seems to be able to enunciate rather well for someone with no discernible lips.

Anyhow, this is an interesting choice for a first LP, but you seem to be doing well so far. This is one of the better games of its type on the market (I cannot really call it the best in a world where Amnesia: The Dark Descent exists) and more proof that yes, you can make a great horror game without a gun that will make money, so I'm glad that it's getting a showing on the forums. Do you think you will do the DLC as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Still going strong on these videos. Good job!

Oh god that man has no pants... :gonk:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

A Bystander posted:

The moment where you whipped out the camera in the elevator after killing Trager without making a comment in between was incredibly funny to me. Then the note showed up and I couldn't help but laugh.

It really is a great little moment, isn't it? The note you get from that particular shot is written perfectly, sort of the thing you would say before launching into hysterical laughter which eventually trails off into wracking, terrified sobs. And possible screaming.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Well, there's outside, and then there's outside, in the rain, still confined within asylum grounds, with lunatic and stalkers still around, as well as some grim, grinning ghost coming out to socialize.

I don't think I'd be too excited either.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

I was wondering if you would ever show us a death...The Twins catching up is a good place.

It seems the writer did a little bit of homework. The Alp is a real part of Germanic folklore, and "Walrider" is one of its names. The whole "it sits on your chest while your sleeping" thing was called alpdruck, and it is thought to have been an early explanation for problems arising from sleep apnea or paralysis, or night terrors.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Ah, yes. This past video has on of the parts that has me calling this a great game: the ol' "let's take away your light source and make you fumble around in the dark" gag. Vulnerability is the heart of horror, and it always makes me happy when a game is able to produce that feeling so well. (I can only think of a couple who do, Fatal Frame 2 and the Penumbra series, namely) It's a credit to you, DR, that you remained silent and let that moment breathe; there were certainly some expletives from me when I got to that part.

I'm quite looking forward to next update.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Acquire Currency! posted:

OP hasn't screamed yet

For which we all thank him, I think. Too many horror games have every shred of good smushed out of them in lets plays because some shrieking fools believe the sight of them acting scared is so much funnier than the games plot, atmosphere, etc... I hate to sound like a broken record here, but it is refreshing to see a serious LP that lets a game with good atmosphere have its atmosphere.

As for Whistleblower, I'm looking forward to it too, but hadn't we better wait until it happens to discuss it?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Whew! So, that was Outlast. I was surprised by how much I liked it, even after the end (which I freely admit is a bit abrupt), and I think mostly it comes down to the fact that there is actual horror in this game.

You see, I've been into horror games for a while now, and something I've noticed a lot is that a lot of horror games... aren't really all that scary, at least to me. In these games (as in most scary movies), there seems to be a preponderance of graphic imagery and jump scares in order to get the heart pumping and wring shrieks from the hapless audience, but these thing aren't scary, they startle. They're cheap gimmicks involving load noises and scary images to provide an adrenaline rush, and after the first few times, it just becomes tiresome. (I'm startled every time the cat knocks something over in the night or some dumbass bird doesn't know how windows work; does that make my cat and the birds auteurs of horror cinema?) In video games, this is further undercut by giving the player a gun making the main character some weapon trained badass marine or something; I think I said in a previous post that the heart of horror is vulnerability, and it is quite difficult to feel vulnerable when one is blowing something apart with a shotgun.

I mean, consider Resident Evil, which this game makes quite a few nods to; it continually bills itself as this pants-wettingly terrifying experience, but it's mostly shooting zombies and gross mutants apart with your big guns that you always seem to find ammo for. There's this B-movie element of schlocky horror (campy one-liners, last minute escapes from explosions, scenery-chewing villains that are evil for the sake of being evil, etc) that keeps rearing its head so much that when it tries to be serious and tragic, it just becomes silly. It keeps trying to pull our heartstrings by having NPCs die/turn into monsters, and yeah, that's sad, but unless you take the time to build up the characters and their relationships, as well as setting up a genuine chance that you can actually save them, it's really not going to work. That's why its success grew after RE4 because it embraced its ridiculous premises and became a straight up action game.

But Outlast is "survival horror" in both senses. You have no gun, you have nothing but a camera. You wanted to sneak in to get a story, but you have no military training and are completely ill equipped to handle what you find. You have no idea who's going to attack you and who isn't, and for those that attack you, you have no recourse but to run and hide. This is what makes it a survival game, as you spend the whole game trying not to die instead of making the other guys die first. And the horror aspect is fairly solid too, as we seem to have a fairly standard dynamic of being led by a "good" inmate and pursued by "bad" ones that gets completely turned on its head later. (Spoilering just in case, for those who haven't seen the video) You see, Gantolandon called it: Father Martin was truly a madman who worships the Walrider who wants to increase its power and see it spread beyond the asylum, and Walker has been spending the whole game trying to stop that. The big dude was never just murdering people willy nilly, he was eliminating potential Walrider hosts, and pursued Miles so desperately towards the end because he was already so close to becoming one. Walker might be irretrivably broken, but he was really the only one trying to stop this thing from happening, and it is telling that even Miles can't bring himself to hate him in the end. And then you have the ambiguity of the actual Walrider. Is it truly a spirit from beyond, or a collection of nanomachines that destroys things; or is the entire thing in Miles' head? Did Miles merely die in madness, or did his death unleash fury on the commandoes and Wernike? It is that ambiguity and the subversion of expectations, as well as a dedication to making the protagonist completely vulnerable and harmless except, perhaps, at the very end that pushed this game in my mind from a good game to a great one, perhaps one of the greatest horror game in years.

to tl;dr it: Horror is not just some big hulk with no face chasing you through darkened halls. Horror is the idea that his catching and killing you is legitimately the best outcome for all concerned, including you.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 13, 2014

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Hey, if Miles got though the first game minus two fingers, I think Waylon can get away with a few cuts on his feet.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Cookie had the whirr-whirr of his blade, Walker had the jingle-jangle of his Chains, Trager had the snip-snip of his scissors... I'm pretty sure, of all your stalkers, only the Twins are dead silent when they stalk you.

VV Well, then, that's his audio tell! :v: "When I was a boy, my mother often said to me..."

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 5, 2014

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Compendium posted:

I like Waylon's notes though. You can really hear the desperation and horror in the writing, especially when he refers to his wife. Makes me wanna root for him to get back to his family even more.

Seriously, right? I mean, the notes from Miles in the game proper are pretty good (they add a sense of character to Miles and makes you feel like he's not quite such a blank slate), but the notes in Whistleblower are greatly improved. This is What The Game Is knocks it right out of the park. The steady progression of quality in this area makes me excited for the next project Red Barrels makes.

Also echoing the praise for the end bit. You've got a real gift of playing in character. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Well done, DumbRodent, very good job LPing a pretty good game. I will look forward to your next project.

• Locked thread