Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just in case the OP isn't doing a good job on selling you on Outlast, though he is, I can tell you it's the best horror title since the original Amnesia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crane Fist posted:

You didn't rate the second one?

Machine for pigs was good! It is better than most of its peers though not as good as Outlast or Descent. A lot of people said Machine was more of a horror carnival show (I think partly due to the lamp having infinite fuel) though I think that's a bit unfounded. This might be a bit unpopular but I do put Outlast on the same level as Dark Descent, the DLC is also very good.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm really glad everyone is getting to experience dickbros. One of my favorite things Outlast does is with its passive actors. Whistleblower has a part where [non story spoilers] you have to push a shelf and a passive inmate gets up and walks right next to it. It's not like a jump scare or anything, you can plainly see him. He's just watching what you're doing.

E: Razage asked a question about the pathing in this game and I'd like to say some things about it, if it's too much of a text dump I'll remove this.

Outlast is not a stealth game in the sense of say, Metal Gear or Dishonered, you know that by now. In those games the player can memorize the path his enemies are going to take and approach the situation accordingly. After playing the crap out of Outlast I've noticed that the inmates work entirely different to the AI most people are used to. I believe that at some level the inmates are constantly aware of where the player is at, though their chase mode isn't activated until the player is in full sight of them. This is something I suspected about halfway through my initial play through. The inmates will have a 'base' where they return to and wherever the player is hiding is where they walk out to. If the player moves then the inmate will adjust his search area to where the player is every single time. I actually gave this a fair bit of testing in one of the early sections in Whistleblower as it was almost perfectly designed to test my theory also I was stuck for like half an hour. The setup is two rooms connected by a single hallway with a single inmate patrolling. The second room has multiple places to hide and a partition in between it. I would hide in different spots (once or twice getting caught) and whenever I changed spots the inmate would adjust his pathing to try and find me. I think that it's a really interesting thing to do and a great move for a horror game. It means you're never really safe when there are inmates around and it makes double inmate encounters even more terrifying. There is still a little room to 'game' the system here like anyone would do in a stealth game but that takes a fair bit of knowledge about the game and most people are scared shitless so super logical thought about the game's systems is out of the question. DumbRodent probably knows and could display this but I'd imagine watching him huddle in different lockers just to show you that now the scary penis men are looking over here this time would suck.

Double E: That reason is also why I don't really suggest hiding in lockers, inmates seem to be prone to check them even if you're hiding in a corner inches away. Though I've noticed they don't check all of them if there is more than one. It's a gamble if they pick to open the one you're in or not.

E:3 spoiler'd for OP new rule.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 14, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Razage posted:

That's interesting, it seems in some of these chase sections DumbRodent has to really know where he's going or he's going to get clobbered. It makes me leery of buying this game myself since I think it will lead to endless restarts until I learn the maps and I've never been a fan of those kinds of games.

The dickbros are amazing though, "He just vanished."

"Yeah, vanished, he must think we're a bunch of assholes."

The good thing about Outlast is that once you identify the exit to the area you're almost home free. Though the exits become less and less obvious as the game progresses.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1stGear posted:

Enemies will never check the hiding spot you're in (if they didn't see you enter it, obviously). They'll always check the locker next to the one you're in or stand just beside the bed you're under, but never take the final step.

Thinking back, that should have been super obvious.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DumbRodent posted:

Doing my best to maintain the illusion for the sake of the viewers, nonetheless.

Oddly, from my experience, this is not the case in Whistleblower. It caught me off-guard a couple times due to stalkers' behavior being different. I got yanked out from beneath a bed despite being perfectly hidden while slipping beneath it.

Edit: I made a tiny change to the OP, just being picky. Could you please put a tag in your post? Sorry for the hassle..

Thanks a ton!
While jumpscares can be pretty annoying, my goal in this LP is to preserve and present the game cinematically on its own merits. Giving warnings before jumpscares would risk killing the tension.
There is one particularly mean one I'll be giving a warning before though, or at least toning down the scarechord's volume.

Done and done.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DumbRodent posted:

Normal people take three hits. 'Main' stalkers, like Walker, execute Miles if you don't get away after one hit- I was very close to dying during the Walker segment. It's a lot more fun on the harder difficulties, but I wanted to give myself some room for error since my OCD means a death = rerecording the entire episode, and it's still easy enough to get cornered and killed.

In the game's defense, it's still pretty challenging to survive when you don't know where to go/what to do. You are also slowed down when next to an enemy, when Miles raises his hands in fear. I died a few times my first go through the Trager segment, because they are also a lot faster than they seem when they want to be.

This is what ups the ante in Whistleblower, as the amount of 'main' stalker characters is way upped.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To be fair Outlast only has one 'escape into a loading screen' and it's in the dlc.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DumbRodent posted:

I would say that death scenes are an important element of survival horror. If a character you wish to see survive can die horribly with one mistake, it creates tension. It depends on how immersed the player is, though.
The Last of Us was frightening to me primarily because of what happens if you blunder into a Bloater. With headphones on. The audio design of those death scenes was... :stonk:

Outlast has its share of extremely unpleasant ways to die. Some are now sadly missing due to the QTE's being removed, though... shame because it does remove some of the tension I had from my first playthrough, but I'm sure Miles is grateful. :shobon:

He's probably grateful because that mouse wave QTE was finicky as gently caress.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best Fatal Frame LP I've ever seen was a guy live streaming it and getting super wasted while playing. It was loving magic.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That point of the game was interesting on my first playthrough as the twins had a habit of insta gibbing me. At one point I opened the door and blam I was dead. I wondered if this was just the twins standard damage output (by this time when I played it the game didn't have any patches) or if the way they hunted the player allowed them to strike at the same time for big damage. I'm curious if this happened to you, DR.

Big E: I'm really dumb. There aren't any story spoilers in there just a question to DR about how the twins deal damage.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Speedball posted:

Definitely SOMETHING not human, at any rate. But so far all the madness and danger we've faced has been entirely human, if an extremely warped and bottom-of-the-gutter type of mutated human.

Whatever happened must be hell on human physiology as well as the mind, because even guys who weren't patients like Trager got mutilated by it.

I wonder how long it's been since the "outbreak." Few hours, few days? Seems like a whole hell of a lot has gone wrong, in any case.

Things answered in the dlc actually! I don't remember if DR said he'd do it.
E: I don't know if telling you about the duration of the outbreak is following the thread rules.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay so as far as I've gathered about the timeline Miles is pretty much on the fuckin' ball once he gets the email as he shows up a few hours after the outbreak. Whistleblower's very first moments are you sending Miles the email that gets him to Massive. With the patients taking over the asylum a few hours after that. As you can tell the whole place would be loving ashes right now had this been going on for weeks. Indeed the time from the Whistleblower's email to where Miles is now is like afternoon to night the same day. Within 24 hours.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1stGear posted:

There's a fairly significant time gap baked into Whistleblower. Miles would still have been pretty prompt, but not quite out the door once he gets the email.

Maybe you could remind me as I've forgotten or missed it, how much time has passed after the whistleblower gets caught.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

resurgam40 posted:

Ah, yes. This past video has on of the parts that has me calling this a great game: the ol' "let's take away your light source and make you fumble around in the dark" gag. Vulnerability is the heart of horror, and it always makes me happy when a game is able to produce that feeling so well. (I can only think of a couple who do, Fatal Frame 2 and the Penumbra series, namely) It's a credit to you, DR, that you remained silent and let that moment breathe; there were certainly some expletives from me when I got to that part.

I'm quite looking forward to next update.
Fatal Frame 1 took it the extra mile by making the invincible ghost the final boss, God what a challenging last fight.

Discendo Vox posted:

I won't get into it at the moment, but the design of the darkness segment of the game is brilliant and probably deserves a detailed postmortem.

One of the game's greatest moments.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glazius posted:

So now that you're moving through an area with maybe a few more of Father Martin's followers, there's this wonderful thing where you have no idea if a humanoid figure you see is going to wreck you or just kind of be like "ever onward, true believer". I imagine that makes for some interesting tension.

One thing I dig about the game is the non-hostile patients. Some are really interesting.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daeren posted:

Someone trying to analyze this game from a gender standpoint has plenty enough to talk about by the end of the DLC, believe me.

Better watch these ones quick when DR does them.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I forgot how good the music is.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stringbean posted:

They should have a mode which let's you watch the segments when you hold your camcorder up. Ala found footage movie.

The storage and resources that would take up would be crazy.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1stGear posted:

Oh man, I cannot wait for people's reactions to Whistleblower. :allears:

Please don't flag DR's videos when he does Whistleblower.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OP hasn't screamed yet

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah yes, the hard left into crazy town.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's just some crazy loving body horror that wouldn't be out of place in a classic b-movie. That being said the DLC has a non-encounter room that's just loving inspired with how menacing it is. Seriously some guy at Red Barrels put hours into crafting that room.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You'll be getting an explanation for the crazy metal tumors and skin decay shortly. Maybe next video?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stringbean posted:

They seem to ramp up those abrupt scares drastically. The pacing is much quicker then the base game so far too. Does it keep up this pacing as the compound goes increasingly insane?

You'd better loving believe it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There were probably a few safety meetings as a staff member on this insane company. Though the head of security might've envisioned this scenario and quietly shook his head at their chances.

"Close the doors silently." He says to those who complete the vent climbing obstacle course. "Be thankful we retrofitted all the vents in this place to be able to hide a man in."

frank.club fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 16, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeek posted:

I am surprised that a security firm can detect someone sending fishy email but cannot intercept said email, really. Can one of you IT-savvy folks explain why?

If they really wants to contain the Walrider, they should build those airlock things at all entry points. They are proven to be indestructible barricade against it, you see :pseudo:

Walrider can posses or inhabit people though, the reason why the airlock worked so well is because you manage to escape it. Incidentally it can take ventilation shafts. In whistleblower it's pretty clear that once it breached control room it only goes up, up, up!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I do have some questions about how far the rider can get without a host. It seems to have to hang close the facility when it's spectral.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How is he responsible?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Speedball posted:

Yeah, this is a case of Murkov's 3-step plan not having a second step between "create unstoppable god-monster" and "profit."

You would think that they'd learn. Light spoilers ahead (probably) but there are some dossiers late in whistleblower detailing the extreme prevention taken even while transporting Hope and the other two 'dreamers'.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Discendo Vox posted:

In both games, you're unconscious/strapped down for an indeterminate period of time after the Resonance Cascade Event.

Yep! And I think it's probably not too demanding to think that these dudes either mapped out their spots way ahead of time or were just drawn to an area. Cannibal in the kitchen, the Dr in the clinic.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the cook really shows off how good the sound behind this game is.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This Is What the Game Is is a great example on how to do these 'personal note' things right.

E: \/\/\/ u wanna fight?

frank.club fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 30, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Speedball posted:

And this is about where a lot of people started checking out.

Haven't even gotten to the best part yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good poo poo

• Locked thread