Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Glad someone is doing this- I got a good ways through the game before my old computer packed up and now I'm stuck on my laptop which isn't fast enough to run it, so I never found out how it ended. This game is something special, that's for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Acquire Currency! posted:

Just in case the OP isn't doing a good job on selling you on Outlast, though he is, I can tell you it's the best horror title since the original Amnesia.

You didn't rate the second one?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Acquire Currency! posted:

Machine for pigs was good! It is better than most of its peers though not as good as Outlast or Descent. A lot of people said Machine was more of a horror carnival show (I think partly due to the lamp having infinite fuel) though I think that's a bit unfounded. This might be a bit unpopular but I do put Outlast on the same level as Dark Descent, the DLC is also very good.

Personally I'd rate Machine for Pigs and Outlast over Descent, if only because neither of them have goofy physics nonsense or the hallucination effects and the limited tinderboxes which made no sense at all. Descent is also the worst in plot terms- it's actually really simple what's going on, but it's so convoluted and overtold that after I finished it I had to go on Wikipedia to find out what the hell was supposed to have just happened. Machine is a lot more straightforward, and if you haven't figured out where Outlast is going with this then you apparently don't watch any movies ever.

Is the Whistleblower DLC actually any good?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Compendium posted:

Well, there's no need for me to sleep peacefully tonight! :downs:

The detail I noticed about all the asylum residents is that all of them so far are bald. Is shaving off hair a thing that actually occurs in mental institutions or is this the game going "Nah," to designing extra assets?

I think a shaved head is a requirement for certain kinds of old-school electroshock treatments and such? Certainly necessary if you're going to be attaching any kind of weird science poo poo to a person's brain, anyway.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Speedball posted:

EDIT: Also also: Male and female wards? We haven't seen a single woman.

With the state most of the inmates are in, can we really say that for sure?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Fair enough, but I'd be a lot more terrified of a two minute sequence where I'm struggling to crawl away or get to my feet and a huge man is constantly stamping on my face until the vision splits and blood runs into your eyes and then it goes black and all your hear is CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH as your brain is mashed into goo.

You're a weird dude, you know that?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You're just a little too... into it? Maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The episode 11 link in the OP doesn't seem to be working? The one at the top and the thread link work fine so I don't know what that all about.

I actually own Whistleblower- I got it along with Outlast in the sale and I've never actually had the chance to play it. I don't feel like I really missed out on much so far but I'm still curious where they're going with this.

• Locked thread