Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticks
Nov 8, 2006
ten pilot eyes

Hi All,

Last winter I picked up a Springfield Armory M1A Scout, 18" barrel. First off, I'm generally stoked and dig the feel compared to the .223 and .308 AR's that I've had the pleasure to shoot during carbine and pistol classes. I would describe my marksmanship skills as intermediate.

Bench rest setup

I'm having some problems with windage. I know that SA bore-sights every rifle at the factory to get a basic mechanical zero - and noticed that the windage had been adjusted a few clicks from center. When I took my rifle to the range to sight in for a 200yd zero, I had to adjust the rear windage fairly extremely to get dialed in. IE, I used about half of the total adjustment range to get on target. Additionally, I had to give more elevation than I would have thought (12 clicks) to get on target.

sample 25 yd zero target

I do have astigmatism in my dominant eye, its possible that could have an effect on my sight alignment, I have experienced this with BUIS and aimpoint micro's on AR's and No4 MK1 peep sights.

My question is this:

Is this typical or acceptable for a new rifle, or any rifle to have to use this much windage adjustment just to get on target? I haven't touched my front sight yet.

Is this a quality control issue for Springfield Armory? Does this seem off?

sticks fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

I don't think that's unreasonable, that's pretty much why the sight is adjustable. If you were right at the edge of the adjustment you could maybe have a valid issue, but you've got plenty of adjustment left so don't worry about it.

The Pigeon
Feb 8, 2008

I have nothing to say here.

College Slice

I had to change my front sight a smidge to get it where I liked it. The rear sight, however, I adjust all the time. For me, it's 13 clicks elevation from bottomed out to get it zeroed at 200m. Works every time. I very seldom have to mess with the windage knob now that it's sighted. If I were you, I'd get your front post set where your windage knob is centered then go from there.

EDIT: if you are really worried about your eyesight being the issue. Have the RO, or a friend send a group down range to see how their impacts compare with yours.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Usually, looking through a small aperture "corrects" any astigmatism issues. When I look through my PRO, I see *. When I look at it through the rear sight, I see a crisp dot.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Perfectly reasonable. I don't expect any rifle to do the exact same thing with whatever ammo I can find compared with whatever the factory used, if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticks
Nov 8, 2006
ten pilot eyes

Thanks for all the replies, I'm really looking forward to doing more shooting once I'm back home.

Sean

• Locked thread