Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

I love it!
What kinds do you guys recommend?

One of my favorites is Texas Pete. Not the hottest but super tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Cholula and Hoy Fong's Sriracha.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 1, 2014

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

d3rt posted:

Cholula and Hoy Fong's Sriracha.

Love both of these. That sriracha (or homemade) is my go-to in most instances, but for Mexican I choose either Cholula or, what I like to call, "Radioactive Sauce" because of it's color: http://www.elyucateco.com/english/products/sauces/green-habanero.html
It's super tasty, and one of the few hot sauces readily available at a lot of establishments that I tend to find "hot."

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Lao Gan Ma

An amazing blend of chili oils, peppers, sesame oil, peanuts, and in my favourite kind, black beans.
It's practically mandatory when eating dumplings with my parents, goes great with stir-fry or just mixed with plain white rice.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

A Jupiter posted:

Lao Gan Ma

Is this fairly common and I'll find it at a bay area asian grocer?

sharkattack posted:

That sriracha (or homemade) is my go-to in most instances

There was a GWS thread recently with people making their own sriracha.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Sriracha is an absolute must.

For Mexican hot sauces, I actually like Valentina the best, and it is hilariously cheap. Like, less than a dollar for a 20oz bottle here in Texas.

For Louisiana hot sauces, Crystal's is good, and so are a number of others, but honestly, the best that I have ever found is actually Schlotzky's. It's not quite as hot as I would like, but god drat the flavor and consistency are both PERFECT. I buy a new sauce to try at least once a week, and while many are great, I just keep coming back. It also helps that they sell it for like two bucks per bottle.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

I love the original Cholula but they have a Chipotle variety (I know, I know) that I find goes really, really well with carnita pork. Very flavorful, not what I would call "hot."

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Mcilhenny Habanero Tabasco Sauce. I swear to God, I could have this on everything. I bought a 24.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

d3rt posted:

Is this fairly common and I'll find it at a bay area asian grocer?

Yeah, look for the grumpy lady.

giacomo
Mar 11, 2008

sharkattack posted:

"Radioactive Sauce" because of it's color: http://www.elyucateco.com/english/products/sauces/green-habanero.html
It's super tasty, and one of the few hot sauces readily available at a lot of establishments that I tend to find "hot."

This is probably my favorite hot sauce, mostly because it hasn't made me piss fire from my rear end in a top hat yet, and is still pretty spicy.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I admit it: I'm the guy who doesn't like Sriracha as much as everyone else.

At home, I always keep Tabasco Chipotle and Crystal (so much better than regular Tabasco) on hand. I don't like super-hot sauces that burn on their way out even more than on their way in, but whenever anything is described as hot and smoky or hot and sweet, that's when I have to try it.

Quizno's Subs used to have a "Batch 41 Three-Pepper" hot sauce that I loved. It was thick and spicy and smoky and slightly sweet, too. At one point, they sold it in flask-shaped bottles, but I stopped eating at Quizno's when they stopped carrying the sauce.

Crown of Smoke
Mar 21, 2004

Fluctuations of the electric current exactly imitate the air waves of our voice.

The best for Bloody Marys: simple, spicy, southern, no chunks, just thick & spicy tomato juice, basically.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
I have a horrible addiction to hot sauces. Every now and then I come upon a place that has quite a variety, and I can't leave without buying a bunch of random bottles. A few friends also know about my addiction so I randomly have bottles brought to me when people travel or just happen to see something interesting.

That being said, I always keep a bottle of sriracha and a bottle of Frank's wing sauce in my fridge, the latter of which I doctor up with a few extras whenever I make wings. A friend that owned a bar for ~5 years had THE BEST wings, IMHO, and when they closed (due to not renewing their lease at the advice of their lawyer) they gave me the formula, and it's surprisingly simple for what it is. If I want the wings hotter than the standard, I have a whole shelf full in the door of my fridge to pick from. I love me some hot sauce. Can't wait to see what others come up with in here, and I almost guarantee you guys are gonna cost me money.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
My favorite is one that my friends dad has started making recently as a home business. It's hard to explain, but it's very "Haitian"-tasting. He won't really talk about the recipe, but I've come to the conclusion he's using Scotch bonnets as the pepper and spicing it with clove, but it's really unique tasting as far as I know.

Unfortunately he pretty much just sells it out of his house in South Florida now, but it's really something that I hope will make it to stores and the like.

flesy
May 6, 2007
y=mx+b
Valentina is good for everything, Bufalo is a little sweeter and el yucateco will burn your poo poo esp the mayan recipe habanero. but in reality gently caress sauce, salsa is where its at get the peppers you grew in your garden roast or boil them throw them in the blender with some garlic and maybe a bit of vinegar some water, whatever poo poo is dope.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

flesy posted:

Valentina is good for everything, Bufalo is a little sweeter and el yucateco will burn your poo poo esp the mayan recipe habanero. but in reality gently caress sauce, salsa is where its at get the peppers you grew in your garden roast or boil them throw them in the blender with some garlic and maybe a bit of vinegar some water, whatever poo poo is dope.

Agreed. Homemade salsa kicks the hell out of hot sauce.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

This, motherfuckers, this poo poo right here.

Double Seahorse chili garlic oil. Thai? Vietnamese? Who the gently caress knows.

Incredible with, on, underneath, around and besides EVERYTHING

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

For Mexican hot sauces, I actually like Valentina the best, and it is hilariously cheap. Like, less than a dollar for a 20oz bottle here in Texas.

nthing the Valentina love - we keep a 34oz bottle in the fridge at all times (less than $2!) and for Mexican foods or anything with eggs, it's just wonderful. Can't get enough of it.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I have a friend from Guatemala who turned me on to this stuff. It isn't too spicy at all, but it makes everything taste delicious.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I buy way too many hot sauces way too often, and have found some good ones. here are a couple of my favorites recently :

the chili oil isn't exactly right I think, but this was the nearest thing I could find. the kind I have has like fried bean curd bits in it which are extra salty and crunchy, and a little sweet. so loving delicious, esp on dim sum.

Mestizo
Sep 19, 2003

"Why would anyone want to kill me, I'm awesome"
Jardine's Sontava: XX Habanero Hot Sauce

You can find this at Cost Plus:World Market. It's my go to hot sauce, and has great flavor and spice.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

The extra hot is easily my favorite hot sauce. I wish I could find it in the KC area, though. Every time I visit my parents, I always get funny looks with a cart full of a month or twos supply of the stuff.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Laoganma is great, as is this stuff:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

These are all the best hot sauce. I haven't seem them for sale in forever, I really need to order a few bottles.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The problem with Marie Sharpe's is that I no longer know anyone to buy it cheap on vacation down here and smuggle me back a box of bottles. So I have to pay New England specialty shop pricing, now :(

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I keep both Dave's Ghost Pepper and Dave's Scorpion Pepper sauce at work for when I want to enjoy something tasty and spicy.

Not my picture, but the same bottles I keep around.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I love Cholua, but it's freaking expensive, so Valentina is a good compromise.

Tapatio is pretty good too.

I've also had this Rhino Peri-Peri sauce that's absolutely fantastic.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Butch Cassidy posted:

The problem with Marie Sharpe's is that I no longer know anyone to buy it cheap on vacation down here and smuggle me back a box of bottles. So I have to pay New England specialty shop pricing, now :(

Are you in the US? Amazon carries it. Prime eligible even.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=marie%20sharp

Don't want to start dropping names lest it be perceived as advertising, but a buddy of mine started making and selling his own recently as well. I still have a bottle of Crystal and a bottle of Sriracha, but I usually just use his these days.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I like Melinda's fire roasted habanero sauce. It's chunky and it's got a good flavor to it. Goes really well with beans and rice.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

I'm not too partial to the green stuff, but they have pretty much every other kind of El Yucateco around me. The chipotle and the Mayan Kutbil-Ik versions are delicious.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Drythe posted:

I keep both Dave's Ghost Pepper and Dave's Scorpion Pepper sauce at work for when I want to enjoy something tasty and spicy.

Not my picture, but the same bottles I keep around.

Dave's Total Insanity sauce is pretty awesome in it's own right. My go-tos are:

Sriracha
Franks red hot
Dave's total insanity sauce
Also in my fridge but not used nearly as often are Tabasco and Texas Pete Pepper Sauce. I only use those as toppings on things like greens though. For that stuff I go with the classics.
Oh and I guess I do have Cholula too. Man I didn't realize I have an entire shelf in my fridge door dedicated to hot sauces and mustards.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 4, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Yes and the two pack works out a bit cheaper than local. Cool.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Great with pork.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Doom Rooster posted:

More Valentina love here. I did notice that it has a different cap when bought at the Mexican grocery vs Kroger. The Mexican grocer has a wide open pourer, the kroger one has a regular hot sauce tiny shaker hole.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Probably because most people don't love hot sauce as much as we do. As an extremely pasty white male, anytime I go into a Thai restaurant or any other place with respectable spicy food, I usually make sure to stress that I like things Thai hot or equivalent. I've gotten funny looks and "Are you sure?" quite a few times.

I'll burn my mouth with copious amounts of capsaicin and like it, damnit.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

xergm posted:

Probably because most people don't love hot sauce as much as we do. As an extremely pasty white male, anytime I go into a Thai restaurant or any other place with respectable spicy food, I usually make sure to stress that I like things Thai hot or equivalent. I've gotten funny looks and "Are you sure?" quite a few times.

I'll burn my mouth with copious amounts of capsaicin and like it, damnit.

Same. In fact, I often ask for extra chili paste/pickled chilies/whatever they have on the side when I order. In one specific instance, I had ordered a 5 star hot curry at a Thai place, then asked for the extra chili tray thingy, and literally all of the employees came out one by one to watch me eat it. I was like a sideshow act or something
My boyfriend's parents will never let me live it down, either. Actually, come to think of it...they've done a similar thing to me. One time they sat me down in their house and had me try random spoonfuls of hot sauce from their collection... :stare:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Here is a question, I love mustard-based bbq sauces but I have never made one I am happy with. Can anyone recommend a good bottled brand for me to try? It's pulled pork season and I need something to get me started.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
Dunn's River Jamaican-Style Hot Sauce
Got hooked on this stuff while in the UK, I ran out almost a year ago and need to find a new hook-up to get my fix.

Scorpion Gourmet Hot Sauce
Uses Scotch Bonnet Peppers but it's made almost exactly like this habanero sauce from a taco truck in Ft. Worth called Salsa Limon

Picamas
Central American hot sauce, good on everything.

San Luis
Amazing on tacos with a dash of El Yucateco for more heat.

Also, after looking at my hot sauce stash, I think I have a problem:

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Mons Hubris posted:

Laoganma is great, as is this stuff:

Agreed, to both. Yuzu kosho is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I dunno if sriracha has changed or something but nowadays when I put it on stuff I think there's a foul taste to it. I don't really use it anymore.