Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Is it weird to occasionally just take a slug from your favorite hot sauce? I do it but I think it's weird. Am I the only one who does that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Tim Peters posted:

I just picked up a bottle of the black label. It tastes like crap and isn't hot enough. It was super cheap though

Different taste buds, I suppose. I never claimed it was very hot, I just like the flavor and yea it's very cheap, like 2 bucks for the tall bottle.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Croatoan posted:

Is it weird to occasionally just take a slug from your favorite hot sauce? I do it but I think it's weird. Am I the only one who does that?

Nope. Especially if I'm hungry I'll just put a few drops on my tongue.

niss posted:

I found my Halloween costume this year.

Are you my neighbor? Because my neighbor wore that.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Not completely relevant to the thread, but figured this might be the best place to ask. Anyone have any suggestions on pickled peppers to buy similar to the kind Jimmy John's uses on their sandwiches?

Also yes, if the hot sauce tastes good enough I'll put a few splashes in my mouth.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

pr0k posted:

Nope. Especially if I'm hungry I'll just put a few drops on my tongue.

Are you my neighbor? Because my neighbor wore that.

No, I ended up not actually using it this year.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

katkillad2 posted:

Not completely relevant to the thread, but figured this might be the best place to ask. Anyone have any suggestions on pickled peppers to buy similar to the kind Jimmy John's uses on their sandwiches?

Also yes, if the hot sauce tastes good enough I'll put a few splashes in my mouth.

Jimmy Johns uses Cherry Peppers, but the taste is pretty indistinguishable from plain ol Pepperoncinis, aka the peppers you get with a Papa Johns pizza. You should be able to find them either whole or pre-sliced in the pickle section of the grocery store.

My other favorite pepper-based sandwich topping is Giardiniera, which is a mix of peppers and assorted other vegetables like cauliflower, carrots, celery, and other stuff. Super spicy and delicious

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

My other favorite pepper-based sandwich topping is Giardiniera, which is a mix of peppers and assorted other vegetables like cauliflower, carrots, celery, and other stuff. Super spicy and delicious

Seconding this. Giardiniera is wonderful.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Jmcrofts posted:

Jimmy Johns uses Cherry Peppers,
the red pepper relishy stuff that jersey mikes and subway use are also cherry peppers. Don't know jimmy johns but I'm guessing its the same. See attached picture.

quote:

but the taste is pretty indistinguishable from plain ol Pepperoncini

I don' think so...pepperoncini aren't nearly as sweet as cherries.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pr0k posted:

the red pepper relishy stuff that jersey mikes and subway use are also cherry peppers. Don't know jimmy johns but I'm guessing its the same. See attached picture.

JJs uses sliced peppers. Upon GIS it looks like it actually might be a mix of peppers, I thought they were all Cherry.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

pr0k posted:

the red pepper relishy stuff that jersey mikes and subway use are also cherry peppers.

Subway localizes it's hot peppers, they are different region to region and store to store.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Subway localizes it's hot peppers, they are different region to region and store to store.

It blew my mind the first time a young me went to a non-Chicago Subway and they didn't have giardiniera.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I can definitely taste the difference in papa johns peppers and Pepperoncinis compared to Jimmy Johns. It might be mostly the pickling as I've also had cherry peppers on various things before. I would put Jimmy Johns peppers on literally everything, I would probably eat them like candy.

Once a year I usually get giardiniera home made which is pretty good but it's mostly just hot, not a ton of flavor. I'll try some of the suggestions out anyways, need more pickled peppers in my life.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I found a new hot sauce you guys have to try. I don't know if I would describe it as a medium hot sauce or a super spicy barbecue sauce. Either way, it's awesome! Historic Lychburg Tennessee Whiskey Barbecue Sauce 151 POOF is what it's called. I like it as a dipping sauce for chips fries whatever. Man this stuff is good!

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

This poo poo is so good. Fiery, fruity, sweet, and bright. Last May I went to Puerto Rico and one of the restaurants I ate at had the best hot sauce I've ever had. I haven't been able to find anything just like it yet but this stuff is fairly close.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Been blowing through bottles of this recently: http://www.leviroots.com/product-details/_/scotch-bonnet-chilli-sauce/10/72/

It's not super spicy, but it's really drat tasty. Especially on a halloumi sandwich.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

User Error posted:

This poo poo is so good. Fiery, fruity, sweet, and bright. Last May I went to Puerto Rico and one of the restaurants I ate at had the best hot sauce I've ever had. I haven't been able to find anything just like it yet but this stuff is fairly close.

I really, really liked their garlic habanero sauce, but another goon said they tried it and it tasted like rear end. I start reading reviews and I guess the newer batches aren't very good at all, so sorry goon for leading you to bad hot sauce :(

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I used to inhale the various Cajon's pepper purees, but now they're all watery rear end. Gotta stock up on the good stuff before it gets found and subsequently made to a lower standard.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000
The OP didn't specify the range of hot sauce suggestions, so while I initially feel like the Ring of Fire Garden Fresh Chile Sauce doesn't meet any heat expectations thrown out in this thread thus far, I really like the flavor and the smokiness of the sauce. I have bottle of green in the cupboard once I finish this one, but it's really tasty.

http://www.ringoffirehotsauce.com/products

It comes out of San Diego, but I managed to find it in a Hot Pepper Sauce store in Port Jefferson/Long Island, New York, which was a nice surprise!

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Wild T posted:

I really, really liked their garlic habanero sauce, but another goon said they tried it and it tasted like rear end. I start reading reviews and I guess the newer batches aren't very good at all, so sorry goon for leading you to bad hot sauce :(

I never said it tasted like rear end!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're ever in the York, PA/Lancaster, PA area you should check out some Old Grumpy Mark's.

http://oldgrumpymarks.com/ogm-salsas---sauces.html

They're pretty good locally made hot sauce combos, and they go great on burritos.

I really want to try and take the ingredients they posted and make some of them at home.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Supermarket had Peri-Peri Hot on clearance, drat this stuff is delicious. I'm going back to see if they have any left.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

wormil posted:

Supermarket had Peri-Peri Hot on clearance, drat this stuff is delicious. I'm going back to see if they have any left.

That's good sauce. Their restaurants in the DC areas serve reasonably priced chicken with all the sauce you want :)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

ytisomauq posted:

That's good sauce. Their restaurants in the DC areas serve reasonably priced chicken with all the sauce you want :)

I almost stole one of those giant bottles with the drip top but I found out you can actually order them online! Peri peri owns, been craving it lately so I got a small bottle from the market to make some peri peri chicken this week.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
At the rate I'm eating it I'll have to make my own. It's so fruity and delicious.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Found this at my local grocery and it's been great on burgers and hotdogs:

Also picked up this:

...which is just on the "meh" side of mediocrity. It's got the sweetness I was looking for, but sorely lacking in heat.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I decided to make some chilli oil. Does anyone have any practical advice? I have 4 small to medium sized trinidad scorpions. I had 5 but i cut one open, harvested the seeds and then tried it. Holy poo poo these things are hot! Even so, they taste amazing, very fruity and they are really fragrant, almost citrus-like. They are drying outside for the next few days.

My main aims are:
1:avoid botulism
2: make tasty oil

I read somewhere that I should boil the oil? Boiling the oil sounds dangerous and gross to me.... Should i throw in some herbs as well or should I just rely on tasty olive oil?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

fickle poofterist posted:

I decided to make some chilli oil. Does anyone have any practical advice? I have 4 small to medium sized trinidad scorpions. I had 5 but i cut one open, harvested the seeds and then tried it. Holy poo poo these things are hot! Even so, they taste amazing, very fruity and they are really fragrant, almost citrus-like. They are drying outside for the next few days.

I know nothing about oil but I wanted to say this pepper quickly became my favorite. I've had the pepper mash and dried ones but I'm growing some this summer and can't wait to have fresh ones.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Yeah I was surprised at how good it tasted because I was under the impression is basically a hybrid fruit, with the pure purpose of being hot (over a million scovilles or something)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ate some BBQ at Okemo mountain last weekend, and they had a nice selection of local sauces.

The ginger-peach-hab was awesome on pulled pork, and I later found it at a drugstore, so I was able to buy some. Yum!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This stuff is poo poo. Not The poo poo, just regular ol' poo poo (bland).

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

it's kroger brand hot sauce, I mean come on :|

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I've been a huge fan of this for a couple of years

About 600k scoville claimed. It's a really nice heat with no weird sharpness.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

But Not Tonight posted:

it's kroger brand hot sauce, I mean come on :|

That's no excuse for this level of blandness. I've bought other things of their Private Selection that were fine.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been on an autistic bender of enjoying hot sauce and I could use some advice on what to try next. I started a year ago thinking that taco bell "fire" sauce was too hot if I used a whole packet and now I'm looking for something hotter than el yucateco xxxtra hot. I like habanero and very specifically red sauces. The carrot stuff is awesome and I really like Marie Sharps fiery hot, but I've grown a tolerance to it's heat and I can only eat so much of it because it gets way too sweet.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Salt Fish posted:

I've been on an autistic bender of enjoying hot sauce and I could use some advice on what to try next. I started a year ago thinking that taco bell "fire" sauce was too hot if I used a whole packet and now I'm looking for something hotter than el yucateco xxxtra hot. I like habanero and very specifically red sauces. The carrot stuff is awesome and I really like Marie Sharps fiery hot, but I've grown a tolerance to it's heat and I can only eat so much of it because it gets way too sweet.

Nice choice on the el yucateco xxxtra hot, that stuff has a funky sickly heat that sneaks up on you. Bonus points for the gibberish language in the name Kutbil-ik (Mayan?). The taste is pretty unlike a red sauce though.

Check out Melinda's, they have a Ghost, Naga Jolokia, and Scorpion sauce in their lineup. I'd avoid extracts, just go for super hots. World Market has them in stock usually.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Not technically a hot sauce, but Mrs. Renfro brand salsa has some insanely hot variations, including ghost pepper and a ton of habanero salsas. They have them in the salsa section of my local supermarket.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Jmcrofts posted:

Not technically a hot sauce, but Mrs. Renfro brand salsa has some insanely hot variations, including ghost pepper and a ton of habanero salsas. They have them in the salsa section of my local supermarket.

I'm eating some of this right now and it delicious

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Comb Your Beard posted:

Nice choice on the el yucateco xxxtra hot, that stuff has a funky sickly heat that sneaks up on you. Bonus points for the gibberish language in the name Kutbil-ik (Mayan?). The taste is pretty unlike a red sauce though.

Check out Melinda's, they have a Ghost, Naga Jolokia, and Scorpion sauce in their lineup. I'd avoid extracts, just go for super hots. World Market has them in stock usually.

Good recommendation; the green pepper flavor of the xxxtra hot isn't my favorite but the heat is a really nice level. I picked up a hearthbreaking dawns fervor and that was a great pick. The heat and flavor are just what I was looking for but I think the sweet to almost sour taste of the super hots is going to get old before I finish the bottle.

And yes, avoid extracts is high on my list. I had some Marie Sharp's Beware! sauce and it was super bitter; just disgusting, and I can only blame the cap extract.

I'll check out melinda's they seem to be very well regarded.

Jmcrofts posted:

I love this, and the Mrs. Renfroes habanero and mango hab as well. Great sauces. For some reason the ghost pepper one gives me stomach issues even though the heat is a 5/10sih. I think their regular habanero is amazing though and that is definitely my favorite hot sauce of all time.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 31, 2016

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I don't get down on the hot sauces but Mrs. Renfro's Hot Chow Chow, hoo boy sign me right the hell up

fuckin' a, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What is hot chow chow???