Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

RisqueBarber posted:

High five for dota avatars. This is my favorite garlic hot sauce:

I really like Cholula, but the chili garlic really doesn’t have any heat to it. Good garlicky flavor and stuff but if you want heat look elsewhere/add to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'm going to go buy a bottle of Crystal's at Safeway's and you can't stop me

My job buys Mormon-family sized bottles of Crystal’s for the work fridge and it owns. I keep a bottle of ghost pepper sauce in there and the assistant chief decided it can’t be so bad and used it. He spent the next ten minutes saying “I made a mistake” and turning red.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

kloa posted:

When in Rome The South, you do as the locals do and say Crystals :clint:

I've lived in south Louisiana all of my life and have lived about an hour away from Baumer foods where it's made for 20 years and I've never once in my life heard anyone refer to it as Crystal's. :shrug:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

A Tasteful Nude posted:

I nearly impulse bought some of this, too, because I think David Chang is a cool dude.

Let us know if it's good, thread. Also, is the spicy... actually spicy?

My bottle arrived, it's quite good! It's got a distinct fermented and savory flavor from the gochujang and miso and a nice sweetness to it. I'd say the spicy version is about as hot as Frank's, maybe slightly hotter.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/radiofreepony/status/1001576265093132289

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Except it turns out that capsaicin is mostly a fungicide and any mammal repelling properties are a happy coincidence.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Reads like a beavis and butthead sketch

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
After watching the video by Bon Appetit on making hot sauce I'm going to make some. He used Fresno and habenero but I want medium heat and fruity. Any specific recommendations on peppers and ratios thereof?

At the local supermarkets, selection is usually limited to habenero, jalapeno, anaheim, bell, occasionally serranos. There is a real Mexican grocery nearby, I was there yesterday, but they don't have much more selection in fresh peppers. This weekend I'll check the farmer's market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGjCeAbWKPo

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

bonnets are real fruity, scorpions too.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
New hot sauce line up for Hot Ones is up. Along with a sneak peek of the next season's first guest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUPdTMC3Obk

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

wormil posted:

After watching the video by Bon Appetit on making hot sauce I'm going to make some. He used Fresno and habenero but I want medium heat and fruity. Any specific recommendations on peppers and ratios thereof?

At the local supermarkets, selection is usually limited to habenero, jalapeno, anaheim, bell, occasionally serranos. There is a real Mexican grocery nearby, I was there yesterday, but they don't have much more selection in fresh peppers. This weekend I'll check the farmer's market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGjCeAbWKPo

Habeneros have a great sunny fruitiness and breeders have even created strains with that same note but way less heat. I wouldn't count out using them. One option: buy Chile de árbol in dried form and rehydrate. At any Latino grocer it will cheap and plentiful, like a huge bag. Or go Cayenne, classic for sauce for a reason.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Found a Mexican farmers market.
$2 worth of peppers.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeesh, lets resuscitate this thread. I haven't started fermenting yet because it seems like something that can be hosed up easily if not done right and I want to read a little more. But I did make papaya habanero sauce. I don't know why but my blender wouldn't really give me a good puree and it ended up a bit pulpy. But no matter, it eats the same. Some papaya, 2 habaneros, 1 red jalapeno, some garlic and onion, a few spices. Lime juice and vinegar. I could have easily added another habanero but I wanted to keep it medium because I'm not the only person eating it. The papaya wasn't as ripe as I would have liked and was tart, so the sauce is more acidic than I'd like so I might add a little sugar. I'll try it on food first and see how it goes.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
That looks delicious. The tienda near me has tomatillos, so I thinking of making some salsa verde here soon.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

wormil posted:

Yeesh, lets resuscitate this thread. I haven't started fermenting yet because it seems like something that can be hosed up easily if not done right and I want to read a little more. But I did make papaya habanero sauce. I don't know why but my blender wouldn't really give me a good puree and it ended up a bit pulpy. But no matter, it eats the same. Some papaya, 2 habaneros, 1 red jalapeno, some garlic and onion, a few spices. Lime juice and vinegar. I could have easily added another habanero but I wanted to keep it medium because I'm not the only person eating it. The papaya wasn't as ripe as I would have liked and was tart, so the sauce is more acidic than I'd like so I might add a little sugar. I'll try it on food first and see how it goes.

Fermenting's pretty easy, you just have to observe really basic sanitation, on the level of 'wash your jar and peppers'.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Thanks. It is delicious but not hot enough. I might add 2 more habaneros, reblend and cook it for a few minutes. I added some to pizza sauce tonight and it was really good.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I recently acquired some dried ground habanero powder. It is an excellent solution for "this thing is not quite hot enough."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

wormil posted:

After watching the video by Bon Appetit on making hot sauce I'm going to make some. He used Fresno and habenero but I want medium heat and fruity.

That series generally has me wanting to start fermenting things and I was going to start with the hot sauce.

Habaneros are one of my favorite peppers because of how fruity they can be, and I'd bet that the heat will be more on the medium side with habaneros and maybe some rehydrated chile de arbol, like someone else suggested. I'd guess fresnos would be a little bit more on the sharp side, but I'm not sure how things would change with fermentation.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

I recently acquired some dried ground habanero powder. It is an excellent solution for "this thing is not quite hot enough."

Make Strawberry Habanero Jam! I do with my hab powder and its amazing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Flaggy posted:

Make Strawberry Habanero Jam! I do with my hab powder and its amazing.

Oh hell yes, I'm going to try this.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

PT6A posted:

They had it in the bulk bin of my local fancy grocery store. I’ve had a small jar for a year now. Love it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Liquid Communism posted:

Fermenting's pretty easy, you just have to observe really basic sanitation, on the level of 'wash your jar and peppers'.

Good. It looked easy but then I started reading /r/fermentation and suddenly it felt complicated.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This isn't exactly "hot sauce" but I think I just had straight-up Sichuan peppercorns for the first time (because I finally found a good Chinese place in this town) and I immediately understood what "numbing spice" means. I've definitely had them in small quantities before but this was the first time I really noticed their effect. That's such a unique sensation and it's awesome when it's combined with other kinds of heat. I already loved mapo tofu and now I love it even more.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 10, 2018

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I can somewhat relate having only finally managed to get my hands on some Sansho in these last few months after years of vaguely hearing about it---numbing with semi-citrus aroma/tones in this case.

I kind of dream of a hot sauce that combines the 2 with some kind of strong smokey/boozy element.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Harrow posted:

This isn't exactly "hot sauce" but I think I just had straight-up Sichuan peppercorns for the first time (because I finally found a good Chinese place in this town) and I immediately understood what "numbing spice" means. I've definitely had them in small quantities before but this was the first time I really noticed their effect. That's such a unique sensation and it's awesome when it's combined with other kinds of heat. I already loved mapo tofu and now I love it even more.

I got some and tried them a few months ago, they tasted like licking a 9-volt battery but with a weird sour aftertaste.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Harrow posted:

swampface posted:

I got some and tried them a few months ago, they tasted like licking a 9-volt battery but with a weird sour aftertaste.

I looooooooove Szechuan pepper. There is a quick and simple Dan Dan noodles dish by Jamie Oliver that uses them and I make that about twice a month.
I don't think I've ever used them for something else, the taste is just so specific.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They're fantastic in mapo tofu, though I wanted it to also have more hot spice, so I'll probably ask for it extra hot next time. I'm sure I've had it in five spice powder and other things like that before, but I've never experienced the actual numbing sensation it causes until I ordered from this one Sichuan place, and now I can't get enough.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I got some lao gan ma finally. 1/2 teaspoon in garbage bin ramen makes it taste like the "fancy" ramen that is more than $1 a pop and has like 4 spice packets.

Can't wait to throw it in a stir fry or soup with noodles. I licked the spoon that I used to get it out of the jar, then dipped it again just to lick more. It has a surprising depth of flavor considering it's just chilis, garlic, sichuan peppercorn, MSG in oil. Not that hot but the flavor more than makes up for it. The sichuan pepper is just right, I've had stuff in the past that numbed your tongue and made everything taste like faintly sour pennies. Other sauces have so little you don't even know it's there. This poo poo is just right :discourse:

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 13, 2018

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I got some lao gan ma finally. 1/2 teaspoon in garbage bin ramen makes it taste like the "fancy" ramen that is more than $1 a pop and has like 4 spice packets.

Can't wait to throw it in a stir fry or soup with noodles. I licked the spoon that I used to get it out of the jar, then dipped it again just to lick more. It has a surprising depth of flavor considering it's just chilis, garlic, sichuan peppercorn, MSG in oil. Not that hot but the flavor more than makes up for it. The sichuan pepper is just right, I've had stuff in the past that numbed your tongue and made everything taste like faintly sour pennies. Other sauces have so little you don't even know it's there. This poo poo is just right :discourse:

*Angry Grandma stares at you sternly and then nods her head slightly in acknowledgement*

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just ordered Los Calientes the new sauce from Hot Ones. Can't wait.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Great thread. For any UK goons reading I 100% recommend Dalston Chillies Scotch Bonnet Hot Sauce. Pretty hot but absolutely delicious so you get that conflict between wanting to put more on while fighting your mouth on fire.

link to shop

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I am a big fan of the Louisiana hot sauces like Crystal and Red Devil but I had never had the actual brand name Louisiana Hot Sauce hot sauce before. It is so good! It is like the core flavors of vinegar, spice, and salt amped up to 11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Hot_Sauce

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Paper With Lines posted:

I am a big fan of the Louisiana hot sauces like Crystal and Red Devil but I had never had the actual brand name Louisiana Hot Sauce hot sauce before. It is so good! It is like the core flavors of vinegar, spice, and salt amped up to 11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Hot_Sauce

LOL I'm shocked you've waited this long. It's great, it's just a straight up no nonsense vinegear and cayenne sauce. I can't place why but I do ever so slightly prefer it over Crystal.

It's what I think of when I think of the platonic ideal form of hot sauce. Not saying it's the best but well it's just what hot sauce is, everything else is a derivative.

Oh and it's like 99 cents a pint.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flaggy posted:

Just ordered Los Calientes the new sauce from Hot Ones. Can't wait.

Just ordered a bottle myself. I also fell for their little flat rate shipping scheme and also reupped my supply of Secret Aardvark.

Also ordered some of that Bronx serrano hot sauce. My friend has a bottle and I liked it a lot.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Louisiana is the best general purpose hot sauce.

Hot Ones pissed me off. Every time I tried to order their chipotle sauce it was out of stock and now they've up and decided to quit making it. Bullshit imo.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Lately I've been getting Valentina Black label extra hot because it's always available and very cheap per oz.

I like it more than Louisiana and the other vinegar sauces because it has a much hotter heat. It's not a slow long burn like habenero sauces but it still packs a sharp heat.

Tabasco has a good flavor imo because of the aging and fermentation.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Of tempting relevance perhaps---can't say I can recall seeing a hot sauce company going the crowdfunding route on anything prior, but on the other hand, I'd not be terribly surprised to have simply missed any number of them as it was only by sheer chance I stumbled upon this outright:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flybyjing/sichuan-chili-crisp-deep-flavor-to-power-your-food

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I found a gallon of crystal extra hot and I've been enjoying that as my cayenne.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Of tempting relevance perhaps---can't say I can recall seeing a hot sauce company going the crowdfunding route on anything prior, but on the other hand, I'd not be terribly surprised to have simply missed any number of them as it was only by sheer chance I stumbled upon this outright:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flybyjing/sichuan-chili-crisp-deep-flavor-to-power-your-food

So what, this is like a crowdfunded hipster Lao Gan Ma?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

So what, this is like a crowdfunded hipster Lao Gan Ma?

Its so easy to make at home, probably cheaper too.

Meant to link this earlier.

How to make homemade spicy chili crisp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GezQyVRQRzU