Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
It's also good with roast pork. MY WIFE and I glaze pork with pepper jelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Got about 20 jalapenos from the garden, any best way to make it into hot sauce? Googling it, the first three recipes all seem to be the same without any fermentation. ( I'd like to avoid fermentation anyways because :effort: )

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

katkillad2 posted:

Got about 20 jalapenos from the garden, any best way to make it into hot sauce? Googling it, the first three recipes all seem to be the same without any fermentation. ( I'd like to avoid fermentation anyways because :effort: )

Jalapenos are delicious when dried and crushed into flakes. I have like a $20 dehydrator and just cut them lengthwise and let them run overnight.

I also have a tiny food processor that is marked for pepper use only that I use to grind them up when they are dried out.

I've never really made any sauces.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Cowboy Candy is usually what I do with leftover peppers :clint:

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

katkillad2 posted:

My process is:
Freeze as they ripen.
Thaw it all when you are ready to make sauce.
Dice, saute with small amount of oil, a lot of garlic. Just slightly cooked down to where garlic is golden color.
Blend with vinegar, salt.

Other ingredients people use are onion, carrot, various fruit like mango.

Fermentation always seemed too unpredictable to me, I haven't tried it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’ve been playing around with a serious eats recipe:
-1 lb peppers, roasted
-1 tbsp salt
-2 tbsp honey
-1 tbsp lime juice
-1 cup vinegar

Super easy and has been tasty so far. Right now I use a majority of jalapeños, 1/2 deseeded, and then throw in 2 unseeded habs for some more heat. My next batch I’m going to add in some garlic and decrease the honey a tad.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Comb Your Beard posted:

My process is:
Freeze as they ripen.
Thaw it all when you are ready to make sauce.
Dice, saute with small amount of oil, a lot of garlic. Just slightly cooked down to where garlic is golden color.
Blend with vinegar, salt.

Other ingredients people use are onion, carrot, various fruit like mango.

Fermentation always seemed too unpredictable to me, I haven't tried it.

This is pretty much the same recipe I keep seeing so might as well give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just found Dirty Dick’s on Amazon and man all three varieties look tasty. I really want to try that peach green sauce.

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013
It looks like I'm going to have a lot of Thai dragons and habaneros this year. Last year I had a ton of fiery hot habs and I made the NosmoKing's mango hab sauce. It turned out great, but I'm more of a savory hot sauce fan.

I just half-assed a Sambal Oelek-esque (dragons, onion, vinegar, garlic, and fish sauce) from a youtube that turned out better than expected, but what I'm really hunting for is something like El Yucateco Black Label. Yes I'm willing to try smoking peppers, anyone run across something like that?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I'm watching a bunch of Hot Ones episodes for the first time. I realize they are filming a show and these wings are probably cold and maybe even hours old but drat half the time it sounds like they are eating potato chips. I've never had wings that crispy that weren't dry as hell.

I should really get off my rear end and learn to make wings on my smoker. I live in a hot wing dead zone. Literally my only option, besides the shittiest wings ever from pizza chains, is BW3's and after they got rid of their discount wings on Tuesday it's just not worth it. Last time I ordered takeout wings from them it was like a dollar a wing and even though I asked for the wings wet there was barely any sauce.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What everyone's favorite "extremely hot" sauce? Stuff in the league of Da Bomb, Mad Dog 357, Blaire's ____ Death, etc.

I have the standards: El Yuc, Secret Aardvark, Hot Ones Chipotle, Hot Ones Habanero, etc, but I want something more intense in my lineup.

I have to buy more Aardvark anyway, so I was gonna throw something else in the cart.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

What everyone's favorite "extremely hot" sauce? Stuff in the league of Da Bomb, Mad Dog 357, Blaire's ____ Death, etc.

I have the standards: El Yuc, Secret Aardvark, Hot Ones Chipotle, Hot Ones Habanero, etc, but I want something more intense in my lineup.

I have to buy more Aardvark anyway, so I was gonna throw something else in the cart.

Heartbreaking Dawn cauterizer. It's goddamn delicious.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'll add that to the list. Ordered Bravado Ghost Pepper/Blueberry, Secret Aardvark, and Blair's Mega Death just because I've always wanted to try it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

I'll add that to the list. Ordered Bravado Ghost Pepper/Blueberry, Secret Aardvark, and Blair's Mega Death just because I've always wanted to try it.

I have the Bravado Blueberry and I wish I had not bought it. Its not good. I need to order more SA as well.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Chili Klaus > Hot Ones.

I can't even begin to imagine what these American celebrities would do if they popped a whole fresh super hot in their mouth and had to chew for awhile.

I just noticed that there are a few eps of Hot Ones where they did a collaboration, I'll have to check those out.

I remember finding his channel a few years before hot ones was a thing and even with a huge language barrier it is incredibly entertaining. You don't need to know Danish to understand most of what is being said. :supaburn:

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Chili Klaus > Hot Ones.

I can't even begin to imagine what these American celebrities would do if they popped a whole fresh super hot in their mouth and had to chew for awhile.

I just noticed that there are a few eps of Hot Ones where they did a collaboration, I'll have to check those out.

I remember finding his channel a few years before hot ones was a thing and even with a huge language barrier it is incredibly entertaining. You don't need to know Danish to understand most of what is being said. :supaburn:

The Chili Klaus eps of Hot Ones are some of the best.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah Sean and Klaus do the “pop a whole reaper” thing two separate times, and it’s incredibly good both times.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The best bit of super hot related media is the Chili Klaus where he makes the Danish National Orchestra take a pepper each and then try to play Tango Jalousie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuvUaFp_qMQ

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Flaggy posted:

I have the Bravado Blueberry and I wish I had not bought it. Its not good. I need to order more SA as well.

I have a sauce called Blueberry Plague from PepperNorth. It's easily one of my hottest sauces, even hotter than Da Bomb (not the beyond insanity version). I hated it at first but then tried it on some mild, squidgy cheese (similar to queso fresco) and it changed my mind about that sauce.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

20 garden jalapenos worth of hot sauce:

I wasn't expecting much from this in regards to taste but... it actually tastes fantastic and I haven't even let it sit for 2 weeks like suggested. Like better than anything jalapeno related that I've had. If/when I make it again I would probably cut the salt by 1/2-1/3rd but not a giant issue. I thought this would make enough to share with two other people, but it made a lot less than I thought.

Edit: Turns out maybe I shouldn't have seeded the jalapenos with my thumb nail. Skin underneath it has been burning for hours :negative:

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 24, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
FYI, jalapenos washed, dried, and put in a tupperware will last a long time in the refrigerator and be as crisp as the day you picked them. I've kept them for several weeks with no problems.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Couldn't remember which Dirty Dick's was the one people go crazy for so I got this one. Major banana flavor going on in there.

Also here's my Mayan Habanero and Orange Scotch Bonnet harvest this year. I used a bunch already before I took the picture and there's another 1/3 that amount still waiting to ripen.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Blair's Mega Death trip report: surprisingly delicious for as spicy as it is. Definitely a once-in-a-while sauce, and given that I think it's worth the price.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Just got both the jalapeño and habanero Heartbeat sauces and they're really good

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

COOL CORN posted:

1. Hot Ones Last Dab
2. Mad Dog 357 Gold Edition
99. Da Bomb

These are the only mega hot sauces I've purchased. Stay away from Da Bomb, it's horrible. The other 2 taste pretty good (357 is the hottest one if that matters)

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Which Da Bomb did you buy? I have the regular stuff (not beyond insanity) and I don't think it's that bad at all. Maybe I need to revisit it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I think Beyond Insanity has extra extract in it that gives it a chemical taste that people don't like.

That's just second hand though, I could be wrong.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

some of the mad dogs have extract too

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

some of the mad dogs have extract too

Extract is so gross

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

katkillad2 posted:

20 garden jalapenos worth of hot sauce:

Edit: Turns out maybe I shouldn't have seeded the jalapenos with my thumb nail. Skin underneath it has been burning for hours :negative:

That looks awesome.

I always use nitrile gloves when working with any kind of pepper, mainly because I don't want to rub my eyes later by accident.

My mom cut some hot jalapenos or seranos one time and got severe contact dermatitis and couldn't move her hands for a few days. Apparently it's known as "Hunan hand" syndrome. :kingsley:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/7741356/

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I always use nitrile gloves

Yea I'm going to have to get some gloves or something, I've got another 20 jalapenos and want to make some Prik Nam Pla with them. ( Going to leave some seeds, but not all of them. ) It got even weirder later, the senses to heat/cold felt like it kind of flip flopped for a few days. Holding a cold bottle of water felt like it was burning my hand. It's fine now though, weird!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I got that after eating some super-hot hot wings. poo poo sucked, I could barely sleep for the burning.

At least I didn't touch my penis before washing my hands, like my friend did :v:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

I got that after eating some super-hot hot wings. poo poo sucked, I could barely sleep for the burning.

At least I didn't touch my penis before washing my hands, like my friend did :v:

Did your friend at least apologize to you?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

I think Beyond Insanity has extra extract in it that gives it a chemical taste that people don't like.

That's just second hand though, I could be wrong.

That is true and it does taste like chemicals.

I started making tomatillo salsa today and stuck a whole fresh reaper in, holy poo poo its real good folks.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

PT6A posted:

I learned the hard way that capsaicin can transfer through athletic shorts to skin when I deseeded a few peppers and then scratched below the belt.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah, if you're going to be handling hot peppers, always have a friend touch your penis for you

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Friends don’t let friends touch penis with peppers on

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah, if you're going to be handling hot peppers, always have a friend touch your penis for you

Unless your friend has also been handling hot peppers.

Friends don't give friends the ol' spicy penis.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

This convo has been peak hot sauce thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
How could you give your own brother the spicy peechain Dominic?!