Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I got a bottle of Pex Peppers Painapple about a week and a half ago after hearing good words about it. It doesn’t destroy me and has great flavor, but it’s less hot than I expected. It’s absolutely the best Reaper based sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

a foolish pianist posted:

You can add vinegar or water to thin it out, or use a food mill to remove more of the solids.

Oh, I did add apple cider vinegar, and I left out celery as an ingredient that I used. I didn't even think about straining it. I was going for a thicker sauce, but it came out as a thin salsa. I've got two plants flowering now, so the next batch will be bigger and better :)

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
This is probably just exposing my age, but is it me or has this been the worst season of Hot Ones? I don't know who half of these people are and even the Will Ferrell episode was weak.

I know there's literally hundreds/thousands of hot sauces I haven't tried but I'm running out of recommendations. Anyone try anything new/not commonly recommended lately? I'm starting to get burnt out on some of my previous staples :smith:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

katkillad2 posted:

This is probably just exposing my age, but is it me or has this been the worst season of Hot Ones? I don't know who half of these people are and even the Will Ferrell episode was weak.

I know there's literally hundreds/thousands of hot sauces I haven't tried but I'm running out of recommendations. Anyone try anything new/not commonly recommended lately? I'm starting to get burnt out on some of my previous staples :smith:

Have you tried Fiya! Fiya! Fiya! ? It rules so hard and is probably my favorite hot sauce, but I should warn you it’s hot. And if I say something is hot, it’s hot. It’s more likely to gently caress me up than the Last Dab is because it flows easier and I’ll end up putting more on than I thought I would. Lot of heat and a lot of flavor, highly recommended.

Headless Horseman has a ghost pepper and horseradish one that’s also excellent.

E:On the milder size, Sauce Bae is as incredible as the name is bad. Habenero and pineapple are a great combo.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 3, 2020

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

katkillad2 posted:

Have you had anything from HI Spice? I'm a fan of Smoked Scorpion and Ho Brah! for heat and Turmeric Ginger and Jalapeno Lime for flavor.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
this one brand called texas pete has been really whooping my butt! a little dabll do you, partner :)

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I ordered a Callahan's gift set from Amazon, never tried any of their sauces. I'll report back if any of them are worth talking about : edit: Maybe don't order this, they only sent me 2 out of the 3 bottles...

ada shatan posted:

Have you had anything from HI Spice? I'm a fan of Smoked Scorpion and Ho Brah! for heat and Turmeric Ginger and Jalapeno Lime for flavor.

Haven't tried anything from them yet, thanks for the reccomendation!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

E:On the milder size, Sauce Bae is as incredible as the name is bad. Habenero and pineapple are a great combo.

Yea this is my favorite hot sauce right now. It's not hot, but it's probably the best tasting hot sauce I've ever tried. I have to stop myself, mostly due to budget, from going through a bottle every week.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 10, 2020

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Convinced my SO to make an extra stop on a road trip at the end of last year.

Picked up my seeds for this season while I was there, to save on shipping, and a few bottled sauces.

Everything going great with the seedlings, a couple more weeks and they'll be ready to head outdoors.

Also, of their bottled sauces, this one has been my favorite. Not a fan of silly names, but its one I might pick up again. It is mainly ghost pepper mash; so it's got a good flavor and not stupid hot.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Beautiful starts! I've always had good luck with their stuff. Jealous you got to check 'em out in person.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Got Adoboloco’s Maui No Ka ‘Oi in the hot one’s box today and oh my, that is good. They’re rapidly becoming my favorite hot sauce company. Tons of flavor and they are not afraid to bring the heat.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I got some Gringo Bandito (Dexter Holland of Offspring fame's brand) lately. Probably one of the few ghost sauces that I can find without extract.

It's great.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I was wondering how the Gringo Bandito is, being an Offspring fan. Been deep on a Karma sauce kick lately - that and Matouk's Scorpion sauce.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Matouk's Calypso Sauce is one of my all time favorites, it goes especially well with fried chicken. I buy it in the 750 mL bottles. I'm not sure I could make the jump in heat up to the Scorpion Sauce though.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Calypso is beautiful too. I've just experimentally found that scorpion sauces are about my upper-fun-limit on heat which of course varies. Similar flavor profile between the two aside from pepper flavor differences.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mekilljoydammit posted:

Calypso is beautiful too. I've just experimentally found that scorpion sauces are about my upper-fun-limit on heat which of course varies. Similar flavor profile between the two aside from pepper flavor differences.

Scorpions are weird for me, I can take reaper sauces and pepper x no problem but there’s a ton of scorpion sauces that ruin me. I think most of the pepper x/reaper ones go easy on the pepper and cut it down with other ingredients, and the scorpion ones tend to just go hog wild.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
This thread was linked in the gardening thread, and I'm so very happy to have found it. Are there any good online hot sauce stores that aren't heatonist or amazon? I'm always looking to add more to my collection and I have a move coming up and I can't take all my homemade fermented sauces with me. Don't worry, I'm donating them to a good home.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Scorpions are weird for me, I can take reaper sauces and pepper x no problem but there’s a ton of scorpion sauces that ruin me. I think most of the pepper x/reaper ones go easy on the pepper and cut it down with other ingredients, and the scorpion ones tend to just go hog wild.

For me, 7 Pot sauces wreck me whether or not they're theoretically hotter than Scorpions or not. I have two different varieties of Last Dab handy, and I find them more pleasant than Exhorresco which is theoretically not as hot.

I should actually try more Reaper sauces; I've been hesitant. Also because Karma's Funken Hot Yellow is so goddamn good.

Jhet posted:

This thread was linked in the gardening thread, and I'm so very happy to have found it. Are there any good online hot sauce stores that aren't heatonist or amazon? I'm always looking to add more to my collection and I have a move coming up and I can't take all my homemade fermented sauces with me. Don't worry, I'm donating them to a good home.

https://heathotsauce.com/ is a pretty good one. https://www.dochotties.com/ too. I also tend to order directly from Karma Sauce.

Also <3 fermented sauces... I have a mason full of fermented habaneros I'm waiting for inspiration on.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mekilljoydammit posted:

https://heathotsauce.com/ is a pretty good one. https://www.dochotties.com/ too. I also tend to order directly from Karma Sauce.

Also <3 fermented sauces... I have a mason full of fermented habaneros I'm waiting for inspiration on.

Thanks for the links. I ran across the first one, but when so many hot sauces talk about asses, it can be hard to filter them out. Most of them are lying too unless they use extract and then they’re just selling me edible pepper spray and I don’t want to eat that.

I fermented Reapers, Caribbean Reds, Datils, and Cayenne last year and blended in different proportions. It turned out great. I did habanero the year before and that was great too. The lactic tang is so pleasant on the palate. Vinegar is good too, but not when it holds the sauce into one profile.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Oh yeah, a lot of hot sauces go into the dumb "rear end" thing. Heat Hot Sauce provides a lot of ways to look for stuff - I'd try any of the ones on their front page for example.

I should grow Datils next year, I remember them as lovely. This year I've got Aleppos, Fatalliis, Yellow Morugas and 7 Pot Mustards growing. My favorite recipe so far is Applewood smoked Jalapeños and fermentation Habaneros for the peppers, which I can just get, but I want to branch out.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Make sure you get the right seeds on the Datils, mine didn’t grow true to type and were a cross with something else. They tasted fine, but were weak.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Tried a bottle of Heartbeat Hot Sauce Lion's Mane Piri Piri and holy poo poo, that's a delicious sauce. Lends itself extremely well to anything egg in my opinion.

Adoboloco's Kolohe Kid and Secret Aardvark's Serrabanero are still my go to breakfast sauces but this guy is definitely going in the main fridge.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I made hot sauce for the first time!

Was trying to make some space in the freezer and found some ancient jalapenos (about 10) and an assortment of random unknown pepper strips and figured I'd give it a go. Didn't have quite enough for the recipe I was using so I threw in a few pepperoncinis and a couple of sweet yellow peppers. I'm under no illusions that this is amazing but it wasn't awful for a first try. Texture is thicker than I'd like and you need to spread it on with a spoon. Like it's almost salsa-like despite.my best efforts with the food processor. Heat is pretty mild. I put in a lot of garlic but dont feel like it's really noticeable. The jarred stuff isn't anywhere near as good as fresh.

Used it on some burritos and have no regrets. Thinking of just using the rest as a dip.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mekilljoydammit posted:

I should actually try more Reaper sauces; I've been hesitant. Also because Karma's Funken Hot Yellow is so goddamn good.

Bravado’s Black Garlic reaper sauce is delicious and shouldn’t gently caress you up too bad. The Last Dab is also really delicious. I’ve found that reaper sauces tend to have a lot of flavor to them- I think they use less pepper because it’s so hot so it gives them some room to play with other flavors.

Busted out my pepper x sauces for the first time in a while today. So good on an omelette. I’m sure I’m gonna pay for it later though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Busted out my Blair's Mega Death yesterday mixed with a little ketchup and mustard as a fry dipping sauce.

It's still too much for me to put on anything straight, but a couple dabs mixed in with a sauce is great, it's really fruity

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have two bottles of pain sauce that I only have to be mixed into other things, they’re basically just straight ghost or scorpion peppers with no real flavor profile outside of that. I love mixing it into mustard for dipping pretzels into/ketchup for fries, etc.
If I try to just put them on something I’m eating they’re kind of gross but they’re great for that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Big Lots has their own line of hot sauce and the Carolina Reaper sauce is kind of loving crazy and I love it. It ACTUALLY has the chili pepper in it too, not just named Carolina Reaper and it's just a shitload of habanero or something.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Just trained Painapple, though not from Fuego box. It's quite good, the reaper is really nice and you get some wonderful sweetness from the honey and the pineapple. It's nice when you can find some sauces that really let the pepper come through. Not that more complicated ones are bad, but it's nice to really get that pepper.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I live in a country where it's basically impossible to get anything spicy so am taking matters into my own hands. I bought a pack of seeds for some Jamaican Red chillies which claim to be Extremely Hot. Not having grown anything from seed before I've chucked the seeds in a pot with compost and they are in the bathroom to hopefully germinate.

I'd love to make some hot sauce if and when I have a harvest later this year. A friend from Trinidad had some amazing home made hot sauce, might see if I can get the recipe - though the lactofermentation sounds really interesting.

Anyway that's my story thanks for reading

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
Just finished off a bottle of this and it's definitely a top 10 for me.

Nice amount of heat, and despite the mango it goes with almost anything - especially pork. Small family-run Australian company but I think they ship internationally too if you contact them directly. I've tried several of their sauces over the past year and most of them are pretty drat good!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Beardcrumb posted:

Just finished off a bottle of this and it's definitely a top 10 for me.

Nice amount of heat, and despite the mango it goes with almost anything - especially pork. Small family-run Australian company but I think they ship internationally too if you contact them directly. I've tried several of their sauces over the past year and most of them are pretty drat good!

That is a great logo too

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

iospace posted:

That is a great logo too

It really nails “this is pretty spicy” without being weird and trashy like a lot of hot sauce labels do.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

It really nails “this is pretty spicy” without being weird and trashy like a lot of hot sauce labels do.

Can you really be a hot sauce if you don't mention "satan" OR "buttholes"???

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

COOL CORN posted:

Can you really be a hot sauce if you don't mention "satan" OR "buttholes"???

Pretty sure it’s in the FDA labeling guidelines. If you don’t, you can’t call it hot sauce. Has to be called “liquified pepper product” I think.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Always double check the labels before you use a sauce. Nothing like expecting a scotch bonnet sauce and using something with Reapers as the main ingredient.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

Not having grown anything from seed before I've chucked the seeds in a pot with compost and they are in the bathroom to hopefully germinate.

A couple of weeks later and nothing is happening. How long would you expect it takes chilli seeds to germinate?

I moved the flower pot into the living room where it's maybe a little warmer. Though the weather has been cool the past few days.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

knox_harrington posted:

A couple of weeks later and nothing is happening. How long would you expect it takes chilli seeds to germinate?

I moved the flower pot into the living room where it's maybe a little warmer. Though the weather has been cool the past few days.

About a week or so. Hows the moisture level? They should be pretty damp to germinate, try adding water and covering with plastic wrap to slow evaporation, and put it on a windowsill to let some sunlight warm things up.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Pepper seeds can be pretty tough to get to germinate in my experience. I've had pretty good luck with those little jiffy peat pellets in the tray that you can close the lid and still let light in. If you place it on top of a fridge or on a shelf above some other mildly warm appliance it may help to start the process depending on the variety.

Usually I had to put at least two seeds in each pellet and plant at least 3-4 of those per variety to make sure you get a few healthy seedlings. Then you can clip the weaker looking one when it still has it's first two leaves to make more room for the roots so they don't get tangled when they grow.

Peppers seem to do best when growing in pots also, most of the ones I planted in the ground get too much moisture after rains and grew stunted. Also with pots you can trim them down before the first frost and carry them indoors to over winter them to get a huge boost for the next year's season with a fully grown plant. The habeneros I grew really seemed to flourish if you let the pot dry out almost completely before watering them again. I mixed a bit of sand in the soil to help drainage.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The heatonist box this month has I-O Thor’s Hammer from volcanic peppers. It’s got reapers, scorpions, 7-pots and ghosts. I think I may go buy some unsauced wings to put it on tonight, I’m really looking forwards to it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The volcanic Io Thor’s Hammer is good. It hits with a ton of smoke right away which then turns into a good but not overwhelming burn.

There was also a Chipotle and Habenero sauce in there from Fresco Sauces. The label made it look like a cheapshit hot sauce from like, a CVS multipack of hot sauce but it’s amazing. I would be surprised if I still have any left a week from now. It’s not very hot but holy poo poo, so much flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm growing some Tabasco and Cayennetta peppers this year, hoping to get enough to make a small batch of hot sauce.

How would I go about making a sauce like Tabasco brand stuff? I thought I recalled it being fermented, but it's got vinegar in it which I assume would prevent fermentation?

Any thoughts?