Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
For me, personally, I don't much care for the taste of vinegar. Ultra hot sauces let me add a really wonderful kick to my soup and rice dishes without having to deal with that. Since it is more concentrated, you can use a lot less to get you where you are going. You can basically ignore the flavor profile and just add "heat".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Pioneer42 posted:

Habanero Tabasco is my #1 BFF

Just got a bottle of this stuff and forgot to get the Chipotle version as well.

It's really really good. Plenty of heat for me with a mild sweetness. There's a LOT of fruit mash in the ingredients. Mango, papaya, etc. I didn't realize I was getting into such a mix of flavors. Very good sauce.

I'll get the Chipotle next time, though I wonder if it'll be as warm as I'm looking for in a hot sauce.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 2, 2015

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

The Ferret King posted:

Just got a bottle of this stuff and forget to get the Chipotle version as well.

It's really really good. Plenty of heat for me with a mild sweetness. There's a LOT of fruit mash in the ingredients. Mango, papaya, etc. I didn't realize I was getting into such a mix of flavors. Very good sauce.

I'll get the Chipotle next time, though I wonder if it'll be as warm as I'm looking for in a hot sauce.

I wish the Habanero Tabasco came in a bigger bottle. I've got face-melting ultrahot sauces that have a completely open bottle neck and Tabasco comes like some kind of IV drip. It confuses me.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

I wish the Habanero Tabasco came in a bigger bottle. I've got face-melting ultrahot sauces that have a completely open bottle neck and Tabasco comes like some kind of IV drip. It confuses me.

The face-melting hot sauce makers probably assume that their customers know what they're getting into and also have all their motor skills developed to the point where they can control the pouring of a liquid from a bottle. The people making Tabasco and other consumer-level sauces probably figure that they can't protect the average consumer enough.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Picked my first jalapeno from the garden and sliced off a piece to try, it wasn't what I was expecting. Two glasses of milk and two spoonfuls of sour cream later my eyes are still watering and my mouth is on fire. There wasn't even seeds or pulp in my slice, just green pepper. I thought I had some tolerance but either these jalapenos are hotter than normal or they are some other kind of pepper. They are exciting hot. Can't wait to make hot sauce from them.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The heat level of jalapenos varies a huge amount, it's not just soil and sunlight but also genetics. What kind of sauces are you making this year?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

wormil posted:

Picked my first jalapeno from the garden and sliced off a piece to try, it wasn't what I was expecting. Two glasses of milk and two spoonfuls of sour cream later my eyes are still watering and my mouth is on fire. There wasn't even seeds or pulp in my slice, just green pepper. I thought I had some tolerance but either these jalapenos are hotter than normal or they are some other kind of pepper. They are exciting hot. Can't wait to make hot sauce from them.

Maybe you planted some real OG jalapenos rather than the Texas A&M frankenvariety?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

wormil posted:

Yeah, if you're used to grocery store jalapenos, that are 75% (or whatever, pulling a number out of my rear end) bell pepper genetically, real jalapenos can be a wake-up call.

That said, I've never had one that hot, but it could just be that you have a pretty low heat tolerance, or potentially accidentally planted a serrano or something that looks similar but is not actually a jalapeno.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Hard to say, they look like jalapeno. Maybe I'm a big sissy from eating too many store bought peppers.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Can anyone recommend a place to buy fresh hot peppers online? The habeneros I can get around here are so weak.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Peppers are super super easy to grow.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I've heard that, but I just want to make some hot sauce. :shrug: I found 'Wicked Mike' on thehotpepper.com marketplace. He seems to get good reviews there.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I ended up buying a mix of peppers from a different guy on thehotpepper forums:

My pic:

His pics:

Yellow Brain Strain, Scotch Bonnet x Naga Morich, Peach Fatalii cross, Caramel 7 Pot, St. Bart's Hab, 7 Jonah, Peach Bhut, Tepin x Lemon Drop, "the hottest pepper in the world (off pheno)," 2nd row: Brown Moruga variant, supposed to be Bhut Jolokia Indan Carbon, unknown, CARDI Yellow, Peach Congo, Red Bhut, Peach Wasp, 7 Pot Chaguanas, Peach Congo, White Devil's Tongue cross

7 Pot Chaguanas, Yellow 7 x Bhut, "the world's hottest (off pheno)," Bolivian Bumpy Yellow Hab, Black Naga, Red MoA Scotch Bonnet, unknown, Goronong, 2nd row: Red Moruga, Large Orange Thai, White Devil's Tongue cross, CARDI Yellow (huge), Caramel 7 Pot, Carolina Yellow Hab, Tepin x Lemon Drop, Unknown, Peach Wasp

Made those into a hot sauce yesterday:

I was worried that the sauce would be super-spicy, but it ended up being around 5/10 or 6/10. Ingredients are peppers, sweet onion, carrot, garlic, mango, pineapple juice, vinegar, water, salt.

I should get a bigger batch of peppers from wicked mike today. I'm planning to ferment most of those.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 23, 2015

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
That looks really good.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Che Delilas posted:

The face-melting hot sauce makers probably assume that their customers know what they're getting into and also have all their motor skills developed to the point where they can control the pouring of a liquid from a bottle. The people making Tabasco and other consumer-level sauces probably figure that they can't protect the average consumer enough.

Che Delilas posted:

The people making Tabasco and other consumer-level sauces probably figure that they can't protect the average consumer enough.

Che Delilas posted:

The people making Tabasco and other consumer-level sauces probably figure that they can't protect the average consumer enough.

Che Delilas posted:

and other consumer-level sauces
:smuggo::yikes::suicide:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Picked up a 34 oz bottle of Valentina for $1.79 recently and tried it out tonight. Not super hot but that's a pretty tasty sauce and a massive steal at the price. Texture's a little thicker than most similar sauces I've had, which is nice because it doesn't just run off your food.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

bunnielab posted:

Huh, around Baltimore, Tiger Sauce is mixing a ton of grated horseradish with enough mayo to make it spreadable, like a vastly stronger version of Arby's horsey sauce.

Same in virginia. I add a little sugar and vinegar to mine.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

Picked up a 34 oz bottle of Valentina for $1.79 recently and tried it out tonight. Not super hot but that's a pretty tasty sauce and a massive steal at the price. Texture's a little thicker than most similar sauces I've had, which is nice because it doesn't just run off your food.

Theres a "super hot" version ( black bottle) that has the same great taste with just a little more heat.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

wormil posted:

Peppers are super super easy to grow.

Only if you have a lot of sunlight. I live in the woods, and I've totally given up on growing my own peppers. :smith:

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Aint'cha got a chainsaw?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I fell in love with habanero sauce in the states, then moved to Germany where I could never find very much. I ended up screwing around in the kitchen and came up with a fairly basic hot sauce that tastes good while still being spicy enough to make me happy. Sautee 1/2 bulb garlic and 1/4 of a large white onion in some olive oil. Add one wafered large carrot and cook until tender. Add to blender with a pinch of salt, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1 small lime's worth of juice, one whole grilled (or roasted) bell pepper and 12 raw red habaneros. Blend until it's a mass of bright orange death, keep your face away from blender when opening because the fumes will peel paint. I prefer to let the garlic brown a little to give it a smokey tinge, and the lime preserves it well enough that it doesn't need an overpowering amount of vinegar.

Now I'm living in on an island in the middle of the Indian Ocean and the hottest we can get at our one store are jalapeņos. I ended up ordering a packet of habanero seeds and some soil and had about ten plants growing very well until the new dude in charge saw them, bitched about introducing non-native species and made me get rid of them. This was in a garden box I built in a field of non-native grass, studded with non-native decorative hibiscus bushes overlooked by non-native coconut palms. Oh well, there's always Amazon for my habanero habit.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So I have two jars of peppers fermenting right now. One larger one of habaneros and a smaller one of fresh tabasco peppers from my garden. I am using the water bag method that was suggested a while back in the thread to keep everything submerged and it is working out great. Only issue is I don't seem to be seeing much in the way of bubbles yet and its been a bit over 2 weeks for each. Everything seems okay so I am just going to let them sit for at least another week.

In other hot sauce related items, I decided I was in the mood for some PB&J's last night but I realized I ddn't have any jelly, but I did have some fresh strawberries. So I made some jam, but I added 3 of the tabasco peppers to the mix. I was a bit unsure how it was going to come out while it was reducing down as it smelled a bit weird. After putting it in a jar to cool, I tasted it and it is very subtle heat. Nice and sweet, but not too sweet then you get a hint of heat afterwards which is nice. Would definitely make it again.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bunnielab posted:

Huh, around Baltimore, Tiger Sauce is mixing a ton of grated horseradish with enough mayo to make it spreadable, like a vastly stronger version of Arby's horsey sauce.

A little late, but I also love horsey sauce. I dont care if Arby's is terrible, I want curly fries and horsey sauce NOW drat it. Speaking of horseradish though, Tiger Sauce is also a fantastic cocktail sauce on cold shrimp.

Wild T posted:

Now I'm living in on an island in the middle of the Indian Ocean and the hottest we can get at our one store are jalapeņos. I ended up ordering a packet of habanero seeds and some soil and had about ten plants growing very well until the new dude in charge saw them, bitched about introducing non-native species and made me get rid of them. This was in a garden box I built in a field of non-native grass, studded with non-native decorative hibiscus bushes overlooked by non-native coconut palms. Oh well, there's always Amazon for my habanero habit.

That's hosed up.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 7, 2015

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like tobasco a lot and it is great for spicing up a michelada when you want a drink with a "latin" kick

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Suspect Bucket posted:

A little late, but I also love horsey sauce. I dont care if Arby's is terrible, I want curly fries and horsey sauce NOW drat it. Speaking of horseradish though, Tiger Sauce is also a fantastic cocktail sauce on cold shrimp.

As another Baltimoron, Tiger Sauce and horseradish in general rules. I had a roommate whose girlfriend was about the nicest yet not bright girl ever. I had picked up a ton of good bread, cold cuts and condiments for sandwiches and stashed it in the kitchen. She asked us if we wanted sandwiches and proceeded to make us each a nice stacked Dagwood contraption. Only catch was that she saw that I tended to put a thin spread of minced horseradish on my sandwiches and, having never eaten it herself, layered a good quarter-inch thick blob onto the sandwich. I figured it was mayo, took a bite and tried my damnedest to look polite as my sinuses rapidly drained their contents.

Suspect Bucket posted:

That's hosed up.

The habanero struggle is real. On the bright side I've got a couple of bottles of Pain Is Good brand garlic habanero sauce, which was the one that got me into habs in the first place. I feel weird that I never use mango in my hot sauce (no mangos available here, anyway) and always preferred the more savory, smokey heat and garlic sauces.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I love Habs, but now that I can get good fresh Scotch Bonnets locally, I may not every go back.

pr0k posted:

Aint'cha got a chainsaw?

Yes I do, but 3/4 of it is Conservation land. So I'm OK with not being allowed to chop it down.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

wormil posted:

I have terrible memory regarding jalapeņos. Most every place I go to has the grocery store kind that are spicy and gigantic, whereas this little asian food truck has the small original kind. I always forget that fact when I order the banh mi and it turns the sandwich into a banh "someone please kill" mi.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My algebra teacher was an insane hippie burnout and grew serranos in his classroom windowsill. I stopped counting how many students cried and ran to the water fountain when he handed them a sliver sliced from a pepper fresh off the plant.

The burn from those fuckers lingered and he made awesome jerky with them in the marinade.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Butch Cassidy posted:

My algebra teacher was an insane hippie burnout and grew serranos in his classroom windowsill. I stopped counting how many students cried and ran to the water fountain when he handed them a sliver sliced from a pepper fresh off the plant.

The burn from those fuckers lingered and he made awesome jerky with them in the marinade.

This reminds me of how I used to bring some type of hot red peppers (not sure which type, they were just called "hot red peppers" when we bought the plants) from the family garden into elementary school. I'd bring a handful of them every day and a bunch of the boys would try to see who could handle them the best, and there was this one kid who would somehow get them in his eyes almost every day. My teacher asked me to stop bringing them in because this one kid had to go to the school nurse and get his eyes flushed out so many times.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
As a teacher, I never thought to grow peppers for classroom plants... That's an awesome idea.

Why is it that every habanero sauce I try has a burned taste to it?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Had a student bring me some real salsa verde today. So good and it's got a nice kick to it. I can smell jalapenos and cilantro and I'm pretty sure it has some serranos in it too. And tomatillos, of course.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got a habanero hot sauce from Trader Joe's last weekend. I tried it this weekend not expecting much, but holy poo poo this sauce is loving hot as hell for a store-brand hot sauce and had me hiccuping like crazy. It's not terribly flavorful, just mostly pure heat, so I'm not in love with it but I know what I'll use when I need to add some fire to whatever I'm cooking.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anyone try the new Taco Bell sauces yet?

I like the chipotle sauce, but it's not new. The new ones are the habanero and ghost sauces. I tried the ghost sauce and it was... not bad. Some unnecessary smoke flavor, but it DID actually taste a little like ghost peppers, and it was VERY hot for a Taco Bell product.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I had the ghost pepper griller or whatever it's called. It was hotter than anything else I've had at taco bell but not that hot considering it has "ghost pepper" in the name.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Jmcrofts posted:

I had the ghost pepper griller or whatever it's called. It was hotter than anything else I've had at taco bell but not that hot considering it has "ghost pepper" in the name.

That was my experience, too. It's spicy, but not ghost pepper hot.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I tried out some of that Pain is Good garlic habanero sauce that a goon mentioned a while back and it just tastes like salt to me, not garlic. Are there any legit garlic hot sauces that taste like garlic?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I bought a bottle of that El Yucateco Black stuff. Not a fan. Tastes acrid, like burnt leaves or something. Not very hot, either. blech.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I bought a bottle of that El Yucateco Black stuff. Not a fan. Tastes acrid, like burnt leaves or something. Not very hot, either. blech.

Yup, I didn't like it either, and I love the regular green stuff.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Try the kutbil-ik. It has a really fresh, strong hab taste, it is hot without being ridiculously hot, and it's really good on eggs or chorizo burritos or most things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Try the kutbil-ik. It has a really fresh, strong hab taste, it is hot without being ridiculously hot, and it's really good on eggs or chorizo burritos or most things.

Yeah, that one's great, I've been using it for years. Goes well in bloody Marys too