Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Enjoy your Cholula, those are quality.

I like them. The chili garlic reminds me of PeriPeri, and the Chipotle is awesome in the chili I just made. The Marie Sharp's I like better than the comatose level version of their sauce. Same heat level but the extract flavor (at least, that's what I think I taste in the back of my throat) is less.

At least, those are my impressions based on tasting off a spoon. I also mainlined some Da Bomb to see if that throat feeling/taste was the extract. It was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

QuarkMartial posted:

We are iced in, but in desperate need of necessities, so I went to the Hispanic grocery store right by my house. Surprisingly (not) they had a large variety of hot sauce, so I snagged a few I'd not had before:

The El Yucateco and Valentina are ones I've had before, just took the opportunity to restock. The others are new. Really looking forward to the No Wimps Allowed.

I can't get Marie Sharps around here and I really miss the Belizian Heat one.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

QuarkMartial posted:

I like them. The chili garlic reminds me of PeriPeri, and the Chipotle is awesome in the chili I just made. The Marie Sharp's I like better than the comatose level version of their sauce. Same heat level but the extract flavor (at least, that's what I think I taste in the back of my throat) is less.

At least, those are my impressions based on tasting off a spoon. I also mainlined some Da Bomb to see if that throat feeling/taste was the extract. It was.

I wish they sold chipotle by the gallon. I use it so much.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is there a popular manufactured habanero salsa that's used in taqueria restaurants? I've been to two places that serve an identical tasting salsa and it's delicious and hot but they refuse to tell me if they are made at the restaurant or if they buy it. I think it has to be purchased since these were two different restaurants. The thing is that it doesn't taste like it's jarred, it tastes like fresh mix of tomatoes and peppers plus misc stuff. It's sort of a dullish red color and it's not chunky.

e: It looks very similar to this

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/three-simple-yucatan-condiments-salsas.html

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 13, 2018

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Mu Zeta posted:

Is there a popular manufactured habanero salsa that's used in taqueria restaurants? I've been to two places that serve an identical tasting salsa and it's delicious and hot but they refuse to tell me if they are made at the restaurant or if they buy it. I think it has to be purchased since these were two different restaurants. The thing is that it doesn't taste like it's jarred, it tastes like fresh mix of tomatoes and peppers plus misc stuff. It's sort of a dullish red color and it's not chunky.

e: It looks very similar to this

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/three-simple-yucatan-condiments-salsas.html

Are you positive that it's habanero salsa? Salsa de chile de arbol is the "hot" salsa around here and most versions I've tasted are all remarkably similar, whether it comes from a taqueria or is made by Mexican American home cooks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah it's habanero and its really hot. When i see white people try it they are in real pain. When i search images for arbol salsa it doesnt look like it. It looks like my picture.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
The only pacakaged sauce I can think of that looks like that is El Yucateco Kutbil-Ik. It is pretty drat hot and also delicious. Could that be right?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It looks tasty. That one looks a little more runny but I'm going to buy some regardless. Thanks

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I was going to suggest the same thing. The flavor is also pretty similar to what you described, but they might add some tomato puree to it for thickening and flavor. I can't taste any tomato at all in kutbil-ik.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What’s a good, relatively cheap ghost pepper sauce that has a flavor besides heat? I have a bottle of the Island Pepper Company stuff that I got for 3 bucks. It’s not bad but it just tastes like hot. I want something that I can put on some pretzels or something. I have ghost pepper mustard, which is tasty but not really ghost pepper hot.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What’s a good, relatively cheap ghost pepper sauce that has a flavor besides heat? I have a bottle of the Island Pepper Company stuff that I got for 3 bucks. It’s not bad but it just tastes like hot. I want something that I can put on some pretzels or something. I have ghost pepper mustard, which is tasty but not really ghost pepper hot.

this is a bit more expensive than the average, but it is quite good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

uber_stoat posted:

this is a bit more expensive than the average, but it is quite good.

12.59 for a 20 ounce bottles not bad at all. Thanks for the recommendation

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
:eyepop: it's like $6 here in Texas (for obvious reasons I guess)

But I'll second that it's pretty good.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, I can get it at whole foods for around $6 so it might be worth checking there if one is near you as an alternative to online.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

If you're okay with more of a salsa, Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper Salsa is pretty good, although frankly I think it seems a little unspicy compared to the other ghost pepper products I've tried (it's still extremely spicy, just not as hot as other things I've had). It has a lovely slightly smoky, slightly fruity flavour.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

PT6A posted:

If you're okay with more of a salsa, Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper Salsa is pretty good, although frankly I think it seems a little unspicy compared to the other ghost pepper products I've tried (it's still extremely spicy, just not as hot as other things I've had). It has a lovely slightly smoky, slightly fruity flavour.

I tried their ghost pepper salsa con queso and it basically just tasted like hot onions. I guess that could be somebody's thing but as someone who hates onion. :barf:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I guess today's National Hot Sauce Day, as I got an email from iBurn.com stating that they are having a 10% off sale for all hot sauces. No coupon codes necessary, valid until 1/23/18, 11:59 CST.

http://www.iburn.com/Hot-Sauce-s/1814.htm

Anyone have recommendations?

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I guess today's National Hot Sauce Day, as I got an email from iBurn.com stating that they are having a 10% off sale for all hot sauces. No coupon codes necessary, valid until 1/23/18, 11:59 CST.

http://www.iburn.com/Hot-Sauce-s/1814.htm

Anyone have recommendations?

If you are looking for something mild but tasting great, Blair's original is worth trying. I guess knowing what you are looking for would help though.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Haha, that's fair enough. I like a vinegary taste and a good deal of spiciness, like ghost pepper level or so.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Melinda's Naga Jolokia is pretty good if you're looking for flavor. It's got a lot of heat but quite a few fruits and other flavors to make it a bit different than your usual "tastes like vinegar and pain" variety of ghost pepper sauces.

Pretty sure you can find it on Amazon.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Should I take a chance on a local bottle Tropical Pepper Co's Scorpion Pepper Hot Sauce as a first foray into Scorpion Pepper doings? I already enjoy their Ghost Pepper sauce decently enough as the first other Ghost Pepper Thing I've ran into since a few scattered jars of Kam's Hot Chili Sauce, but the Scorpion kind of looks like a low effort compared to it as I am far more interested in overall flavour and an accentuating blend to draw out potential than just chasing after heat for the sake of such. Granted, I waited all these years for some kind of Scorpion Pepper sauce to finally show up in my area until now to sate my curiosity---so a bit more for hopefully a more evocative spread to draw from wouldn't exactly be a huge ask...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Should I take a chance on a local bottle Tropical Pepper Co's Scorpion Pepper Hot Sauce as a first foray into Scorpion Pepper doings? I already enjoy their Ghost Pepper sauce decently enough as the first other Ghost Pepper Thing I've ran into since a few scattered jars of Kam's Hot Chili Sauce, but the Scorpion kind of looks like a low effort compared to it as I am far more interested in overall flavour and an accentuating blend to draw out potential than just chasing after heat for the sake of such. Granted, I waited all these years for some kind of Scorpion Pepper sauce to finally show up in my area until now to sate my curiosity---so a bit more for hopefully a more evocative spread to draw from wouldn't exactly be a huge ask...

It’s mostly pain sauce. I use it in soup and chili and whatnot where I can heat up a bulk item but it’s really got no flavor other than pain and “I’m probably gonna regret this on the toilet later”

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Where are you finding it?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I made hot sauce again, I thought I would do a little post with images. I do a Mexican style sauce with some Asian ingredients. No fermenting just vinegar. This year I went with a 3:1 ratio of Filipino Cane Vinegar:Apple Cider Vinegar. Oddly it still doesn't taste too vinegary like Tabasco. Garlic the only other solid ingredient. I also don't strain it at all. I bottle it with a bit of thinner commercial sauce to thin it out. 2017 growing season my garden didn't give me good yields so I purchased a bag of Thai peppers, destemmed them, froze. Typically I pick peppers as they ripen, destem, immediately freeze. Also I love fish sauce so all the salt comes from fish sauce. This batch should last me at least until the fall where hopefully I will have a good harvest to start anew.

Album: https://imgur.com/a/oqUB9

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 19, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Where are you finding it?

The supermarket near my job has a massive, massive hot sauce selection with all the tropical pepper co stuff. If anyone wants some it’s like 3.something a bottle the last time I checked, I could send some in the US for cost+shipping.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Picked up a bottle of locally made Trinidad Scorpion hot sauce today. It's really good.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I made a container of Trini pepper sauce:

About 15 or so habaneros, a head of garlic, a bunch of cilantro (can't get chadon beni up here), a few tablespoons of yellow mustard, and cider vinegar, blended up with a bit of salt. This stuff is simple and delicious, and I put it on everything.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

a foolish pianist posted:

About 15 or so habaneros, a head of garlic, a bunch of cilantro (can't get chadon beni up here), a few tablespoons of yellow mustard, and cider vinegar, blended up with a bit of salt. This stuff is simple and delicious, and I put it on everything.

That looks amazing. Since it's that many habaneros, is it face-melting?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

It is punchy, but a manageable punchy. It feels about the same level of heat as the Yucateca green sauce, or maybe a bit more. The flavor is awesome, though.

I think I got the basic recipe here:

https://www.simplytrinicooking.com/trini-pepper-sauce/

a couple of years ago, but I just eyeball proportions and add spices or other ingredients at random. Sometimes it's some allspice for a jerk-type flavor, or a couple of slices of mango or grapefruit, or a dash of mushroom soy sauce. The recipe makes a great base for a lot of variations.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 22, 2018

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

Picked up a bottle of locally made Trinidad Scorpion hot sauce today. It's really good.

I impulse bought their habanero sauce at a Fareway once, but it was way too garlicky for me. Like, totally unreasonably garlicky. Everyone else who tried it said it was good, though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I impulse bought their habanero sauce at a Fareway once, but it was way too garlicky for me. Like, totally unreasonably garlicky. Everyone else who tried it said it was good, though.

Yeah, that's why I went with the Scorpion. The habenero was too garlicky, and the ghost pepper was a little more fierce than I wanted.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I like Tropical Pepper Co's ghost pepper sauce, not the biggest fan of their scorpion pepper.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

a foolish pianist posted:

Bought a packet of habaneros this weekend because of this post. 15 habaneros, head of garlic, half and half distilled vinegar and apple cider vinegar, two bunches of cilantro, and then realized I was out of mustard :smith:. Do I need to refrigerate this stuff? There's about 3/4 cup of vinegar - I just don't know if that's enough to keep it shelf stable.

Turned out fantastic!

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

I did the same today - 16 scotch bonnets, couple heads of garlic and mass of coriander. Turned out great, not too hot but very tasty!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

pim01 posted:

I did the same today - 16 scotch bonnets, couple heads of garlic and mass of coriander. Turned out great, not too hot but very tasty!

Heads up for future reference, cut open all peppers before using them because many can look amazing from the outside and be totally moldy inside.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Good shout - I checked the stems on these as that's often the bit that gets wonky when the inside gets moldy, but might as well chop them in half if I'm going to blend them anyway :)

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

angor posted:

Bought a packet of habaneros this weekend because of this post. 15 habaneros, head of garlic, half and half distilled vinegar and apple cider vinegar, two bunches of cilantro, and then realized I was out of mustard :smith:. Do I need to refrigerate this stuff? There's about 3/4 cup of vinegar - I just don't know if that's enough to keep it shelf stable.

Turned out fantastic!

I keep mine in the fridge, but I'm not sure it's necessary. I've never had it go bad, but then, I use it pretty quickly.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_0?ie=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=PexPeppers

One of my favorite sauce makers finally got on Amazon recently. His stock isn't huge but his sauces have always been my favorite, no extracts in them, they are extremely authentic and bold flavors. The heat on a few of them is absurd too.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Picked up a bottle of Kitchen Garden Farm's Sriracha as they're local and it was on sale... and I have been putting it on absolutely everything. Might have to try their habanero version next but I'm still working my way into that heat level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Akumos posted:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_0?ie=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=PexPeppers

One of my favorite sauce makers finally got on Amazon recently. His stock isn't huge but his sauces have always been my favorite, no extracts in them, they are extremely authentic and bold flavors. The heat on a few of them is absurd too.

thanks that's a good price for amazon hot sauce. I hope the hot is very hot.