Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Akumos posted:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_0?ie=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=PexPeppers

One of my favorite sauce makers finally got on Amazon recently. His stock isn't huge but his sauces have always been my favorite, no extracts in them, they are extremely authentic and bold flavors. The heat on a few of them is absurd too.

got the taco one if it sucks im gonna send you a very rude private message

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Pex Peppers is good stuff, never had the taco flavor though.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I love El Yucatero hot sauce but I'm still not sure about having it again since they found really high levels of lead in it.

I know this was a while ago, and El Yucatero say they tested some of their sauces and found no lead, but they would say that.

https://grist.org/food/lead-in-hot-sauce/

I'm also a bit paranoid about foods from places like China because their food safety standards etc. aren't as good as ours in the UK and I'm sure I've read about high levels of heavy metals in Chinese foods too.

Thoughts?

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 22, 2018

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

^ It's from 2013 and that probably led to increased scrutiny, I'm holding on to my XXXtra hot.

Akumos posted:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_0?ie=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=PexPeppers

One of my favorite sauce makers finally got on Amazon recently. His stock isn't huge but his sauces have always been my favorite, no extracts in them, they are extremely authentic and bold flavors. The heat on a few of them is absurd too.

Hornetbomb and Atom Splitter both sound interesting, I killed off my Mike's Hot Honey a few months ago and haven't had a honey/heat option for a while and I've legitimately never heard of a 7 pot douglah pepper.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Mikes hot honey is good stuff tho

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I got a bottle of The Last Dab. It's got a predominant pepper taste but once you get past it, you notice the other flavors. Pretty tasty and it's a nice burn--fairly intense but not cruel. I wish it wasn't so thick, it's kind of a pain to get it out of that tiny bottle mouth. Tapping on the neck helps a lot. It tastes really good on baked potatoes!

Only real problem is if I eat too much of it, my stomach hurts afterwards :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I got a bottle of The Last Dab. It's got a predominant pepper taste but once you get past it, you notice the other flavors. Pretty tasty and it's a nice burn--fairly intense but not cruel. I wish it wasn't so thick, it's kind of a pain to get it out of that tiny bottle mouth. Tapping on the neck helps a lot. It tastes really good on baked potatoes!

Only real problem is if I eat too much of it, my stomach hurts afterwards :(

A couple friends and I did our own 10-wing Hot Ones lineup last weekend and the Last Dab was real tasty. I liked it a lot. I don't know if it was the Last Dab's effect or just the cumulative effect of all the hot sauce I'd eaten, but like a half hour later my whole face just felt really warm. Like it was definitely really hot but like you said, it wasn't cruel, and it developed over time in a way that was actually kind of pleasant.

Mad Dog 357 can gently caress right off, though we didn't have Da Bomb so I suspect I'd be kinder to Mad Dog if I had a truly evil hot sauce like that one first. As it was, though, Mad Dog hosed me up bad. I felt that one in my loving ears. After that, the Last Dab was downright gentle. Kinda shows the difference that using an extract can make in how the heat hits you.

The whole experience introduced me to some delicious sauces I hadn't tried before, like Dirty Dick's and Queen Majesty Scotch Bonnet and Ginger. Ended up buying bottles of those for myself afterwards.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 30, 2018

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

WhatEvil posted:

I love El Yucatero hot sauce but I'm still not sure about having it again since they found really high levels of lead in it.

I know this was a while ago, and El Yucatero say they tested some of their sauces and found no lead, but they would say that.

https://grist.org/food/lead-in-hot-sauce/

I'm also a bit paranoid about foods from places like China because their food safety standards etc. aren't as good as ours in the UK and I'm sure I've read about high levels of heavy metals in Chinese foods too.

Thoughts?

Bring on the lead poisoning, that mayan xxxtra hot yucatero is the best.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have some Tabasco Sriracha and it 'farts' (for lack of a better word) everytime I open the cap. Basically air puffs out. If wait 3 or 4 minutes before opening it will spurt Sriracha all over the place. Why is it doing that? Previously I bought the brand with Chinese? writing and I don't remember it doing that.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

wormil posted:

I have some Tabasco Sriracha and it 'farts' (for lack of a better word) everytime I open the cap. Basically air puffs out. If wait 3 or 4 minutes before opening it will spurt Sriracha all over the place. Why is it doing that? Previously I bought the brand with Chinese? writing and I don't remember it doing that.

It's a fermented product, and it continues to ferment as it sits. Part of fermentation is the release of gas, which is what you're releasing when you open the container. It's perfectly normal and perfectly safe.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I’ve been getting the same spurting but with ghost pepper mustard :yum:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Midniter posted:

It's a fermented product, and it continues to ferment as it sits. Part of fermentation is the release of gas, which is what you're releasing when you open the container. It's perfectly normal and perfectly safe.

And make sure you give it an escape valve, or make whatever you're fermenting it in pretty sturdy.

I'm totally not speaking from experience where I had the lid blow off of a batch of dough I had fermenting once.

Totally not.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

kloa posted:

I’ve been getting the same spurting but with ghost pepper mustard :yum:

I had Crazy Jerry's Mustard Gas (not great) and it did that too.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Help, I bought a bottle of Secret Aardvark and now I don't know if I'll ever buy a different sauce

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

Help, I bought a bottle of Secret Aardvark and now I don't know if I'll ever buy a different sauce

Bought?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Correction - was graciously gifted by a goon that has the heart of a saint, and the dashing good looks of a 1930s Hollywood starlet.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

Correction - was graciously gifted by a goon that has the heart of a saint, and the dashing good looks of a 1930s Hollywood starlet.

Perfect. I have also been putting Secret Aardvark on everything. I had 3 bottles, I am down to a half bottle.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I can give a solid rec on the heat/flavor front for this---first time a carrot based sauced has panned out so well, and even though they downplay it compared to the rest, the carrot really does lead everything:

http://motherlodeprovisions.com/products/wildfire-hot-sauce/

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Have you had Marie Sharp's? I'd be interested in a head-to-head since that's the only carrot-based sauce I've used.

Also if anyone's on the fence about the Pex Peppers stuff linked last page, I'm really enjoying Hornet Bomb and thought Atom Splitter was pretty good, if a little fruitier than I'd like - I feel like I'd rather go for Dave's Scorpion Pepper if I want something around that heat level.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

The Pex stuff just reads as :siren: too hot to handle :siren: on all of their descriptions.

Does it actually taste good, or is this just for ruining dishes?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Don't know about the taco but the others are fine if you can handle hab with the 7 pot being hottest. I really like their honey sauce.

/e- aww their prices increased quite a bit on amazon

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 14, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Have you had Dirty Dick's? Because I feel the same way about that sauce.

Seriously, at this point I've decided what I'm going to have for dinner multiple nights this week by trying to think of something that would taste good with a bunch of delicious tropical hot sauce on it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Anyone know a good, decently available sauce that’s around 100,000 Scoville, similar to the heat in Halal Guys red sauce, if you’ve had it.

I love that loving sauce and can’t get enough packets, but it’s a pain in the rear end to get over to the restaurant.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

skooma512 posted:

Anyone know a good, decently available sauce that’s around 100,000 Scoville, similar to the heat in Halal Guys red sauce, if you’ve had it.

I love that loving sauce and can’t get enough packets, but it’s a pain in the rear end to get over to the restaurant.

This one's around 83,000
https://heatonist.com/products/dawsons-original-hot?variant=378284736521

This one is 100,000
https://heatonist.com/products/zombie-apocalypse?variant=378255769609

Both tasty. But once you get up into that Scoville range, "decently available" is relative. You won't find anything at your local grocery store probably, unless they have an unusually good hot sauce selection.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
I'm looking for a good go-to hot sauce for pasta dishes. Maybe something garlicky? Heat level doesn't matter much to me as long as it's not some extract-based mega hot thing.

Right now I've got a good selection of general hot sauces I use but I want something more specific.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Loutre posted:

I'm looking for a good go-to hot sauce for pasta dishes. Maybe something garlicky? Heat level doesn't matter much to me as long as it's not some extract-based mega hot thing.

Right now I've got a good selection of general hot sauces I use but I want something more specific.

High five for dota avatars. This is my favorite garlic hot sauce:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Something really vinegary is good in red pasta dishes, like Crystals. I usually put red wine vinegar in my spaghetti sauce, but if I want it a little spicy I'll put Crystals instead.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

kloa posted:

Something really vinegary is good in red pasta dishes, like Crystals. I usually put red wine vinegar in my spaghetti sauce, but if I want it a little spicy I'll put Crystals instead.

I know im being stupidly pedantic and please forgive me, but Crystal hot sauce is singular and doesnt have an "s" at the end. That being said, it's one of my favorite hot sauces. I'll shut up now, sorry.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mushika posted:

I know im being stupidly pedantic and please forgive me, but Crystal hot sauce is singular and doesnt have an "s" at the end. That being said, it's one of my favorite hot sauces. I'll shut up now, sorry.

I’ll have to give Crystal another go. I used it once but it tasted kind of gross to me. Maybe I got a bad bottle or wasn’t using it in the right context, or maybe my taste just wasn’t there yet.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Has anyone had Momofuku Ssäm sauce? Popped up on Amazon and it looks interesting enough, they've got a spicy version too.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Nando's herb and lemon is really, insanely good in tomato sauces. Also in general. Also the rest of the Nando's line.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Potential BFF posted:

Has anyone had Momofuku Ssäm sauce? Popped up on Amazon and it looks interesting enough, they've got a spicy version too.

I nearly impulse bought some of this, too, because I think David Chang is a cool dude.

Let us know if it's good, thread. Also, is the spicy... actually spicy?

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

RisqueBarber posted:

High five for dota avatars. This is my favorite garlic hot sauce:

I've used Cholula for years but never actually tried the Garlic one, picked up a bottle today. I'll also try the Nando's herb and lemon, I've only tried one of their sauces before and it was pretty good (I think maybe it was too thick for me? Was a while ago.)

Crystal is a great suggestion, I do love the vinegar punch in pasta, but I'm more of a Frank's guy when it comes to those sauces. Crystal/Frank's are definitely my go-to style of sauce for it out of the commonly available ones.

On other hot sauce topics,

Secret Aardvark was a surprise disappointment for me. It felt kind of flavorless, which shocked me considering its reputation.

Could it be: bad bottle because I got it off the internet? Mostly smell based, since I have a weak sense of smell? Not meant to be refrigerated?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I wasn't really blown away by Secret Aardvark either. It's not bad but something about it just isn't doing it for me. Maybe it's because I bought it along with El Yucateco kutbi-ik and Yellowbird serrano which are both wonderful.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Mushika posted:

When in Rome The South, you do as the locals do and say Crystals :clint:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mushika posted:

I'm going to go buy a bottle of Crystal's at Safeway's and you can't stop me

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Potential BFF posted:

I wasn't really blown away by Secret Aardvark either. It's not bad but something about it just isn't doing it for me. Maybe it's because I bought it along with El Yucateco kutbi-ik and Yellowbird serrano which are both wonderful.

Had the Jalaleno Yellowbird here recently, and that's just a real nice sauce. I'd love to try more of their stuff.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Trader Joes Habanero hot suace is pretty good and very cheap in store. Plenty of that habanero brightness and wicked heat and not a lot else, just supporting flavors. Probably the best store brand I've tried of one.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I pulled the trigger on the Momofuku Ssam sauce. I went with the spicy to keep up appearances and I'll report back when it arrives.

I've been on a kick ordering hot stuff from Amazon lately. My last purchase was a package of Samyang 2x spicy ramen which has become a Youtube challenge. I'm not gonna lie, it's a bit of an ordeal for me to finish a bowl but it is legitimately tasty even though it hurts. Outside of the incredibly spicy sauce, the noodles are pretty fat and fluffy compared to something like Maruchan or Nissin and they come with a little packet of sesame seeds and seaweed. I'll definitely finish the package of five but I'm not sure I like having my rear end kicked that hard by my lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Loutre posted:

I got some of this stuff at a Japanese grocery a few weeks ago and I can say it's mild enough to put in anything without adding much of an "Asian" flavor. It's got Chilis in oil and little fried crispy bits of garlic that are amazingly good in plain noodles.

https://www.amazon.com/Chili-Oil-Crunchy-Garlic-Ounce/dp/B00BF028XQ

9/10

My only suggestion would be to make it spicier.