Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Try some lemon juice. Or buy sharper mayonnaise. I think safflower mayo tastes a little flat and boring, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Doom Rooster posted:

The VAST majority of "jalapenos" sold now are the TAM variety, which is actually a cross-breed with green bell pepper, and is quite mild. They're the really big one.

If you're growing your own jalapenos and the seeds don't say that they are TAM, then they are likely REAL jalapenos, and actually quite spicy. They'll be like half the size of a TAM.

They can also cross-polinate, as I learned the year my habeneros accidentally caused spicy bell peppers.

Human Tornada posted:

IMO add hot sauce and Cajun seasoning.

Truth.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 21, 2018

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Liquid Communism posted:

They can also cross-polinate, as I learned the year my habeneros accidentally caused spicy bell peppers.

Truth.

I think the cross pollination requires the first generation after the cross though. Like if you breed a hab with a bell pepper the bell won't be hot until you plant the seeds from that cross pollinated pepper.

I've had some mega hot varieties of cayenne and serano before too, I assumed it was from cross pollination of the seed stock.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Definitely not what you are describing, but burger + Black Label El Yucateco is amazing. Seems like the perfect hot sauce for beefy related things.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

angor posted:

Which Da Bomb did you buy? I have the regular stuff (not beyond insanity) and I don't think it's that bad at all. Maybe I need to revisit it.

Mega late reply but yes, I've only had Beyond Insanity and it is horrible. I wasn't even aware there was a base-level Da Bomb

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Crystal, less mayo, and cajun seasoning did the trick. Thanks for helping me explore the possibilities.

Also I threw some Crystal on my eggs this morning and basically, sriracha can go to hell. Definitely looking forward to trying more hot sauces and putting hot sauce on more things.

Tonight I'm gonna take a stab at buffalo chicken wings. I think I'd like to try this with various hot sauces but since this is my first go I'm gonna lead with the Frank's RedHot.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Best hot sauce for eggs is Habanero Tabasco. Second place is Valentina Black Label.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I'm actually a big fan of Frank's Red Hot for my eggs. Not much in the way of heat at all but I really love the flavor. It's not perfect for everything but it'll always have a place in my pantry.

Edit: This is my other go-to egg topper. Local guy and I love his sauces. I can also heartily recommend the huckleberry ghost sauce. It's got good heat but you can still taste the fruity tang of the huckleberries.

Magnus Praeda fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 24, 2018

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Buffalo wings went alright. I used this recipe that was linked earlier in the thread for preparing the wings but just tossed them in some buffalo sauce (1 part Frank's RedHot, 1 part butter). The result worked out well enough, the wings came out very nice. The sauce wasn't disgusting by any means but I think it was kind of pungent and thin for my taste. I'm not sure if a different hot sauce would work better or if I need to do something other than a simple butter sauce.

My Marie Sharp's Belizean Heat arrived in the mail today and I'm excited to try that soon. Probably gonna start by topping it on the usual suspects like eggs and burgers. I have no idea if it would be suited for a wing sauce.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Human Tornada posted:

Best hot sauce for eggs is Habanero Tabasco. Second place is Valentina Black Label.
I'm surprised more people aren't on the Valentina/Valentina Black train. It's not that hot, as far as hot sauces go, but oh my god there's so much loving flavor there

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Cholula makes the best grocery store hot sauces, especially the chipotle one :colbert:

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Cholula makes the best grocery store hot sauces, especially the chipotle one :colbert:

Chipotle Tabasco > Chipotle Cholula

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

angor posted:

Chipotle Tabasco > Chipotle Cholula

Trash. GTFO.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Cholula sweet habenero is my new favorite grocery store sauce. Slight sweetness with a good burn.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

Cheap, vinegary hot sauce is the ideal pairing for eggs imo, brand really doesn't matter other than how much heat you want.The vinegar cutting through the richness of the eggs is such a nice combination.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

Cheap, vinegary hot sauce is the ideal pairing for eggs imo, brand really doesn't matter other than how much heat you want.The vinegar cutting through the richness of the eggs is such a nice combination.

Plus, serving Papa Xerxes' Guava Ghost Sauce with some eggs, hash browns, and coffee just doesn't feel right.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Whalley posted:

I'm surprised more people aren't on the Valentina/Valentina Black train. It's not that hot, as far as hot sauces go, but oh my god there's so much loving flavor there

Agreed. The Black label one is my favorite vinegar sauce. It also helps that the bottle is like twice the size of a typical one and costs less than $2.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Whalley posted:

This. The texture is great too, it just coats whatever you put it on.

I've never really enjoyed hot sauce on eggs. Every so often I go back to it with a different sauce because I feel like I must be missing something, but it just never quite clicks for me. Nothing compares to just a teensy bit of salt and a ton of black pepper imo.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Agreed. The Black label one is my favorite vinegar sauce. It also helps that the bottle is like twice the size of a typical one and costs less than $2.

At my local mexican grocer you can buy that stuff in a gallon jug.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

This is my go to sauce.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yucateco green is my favorite general-purpose, followed closely by any Melinda's habanero sauce.

Been making more of my own, from red savina habaneros from my garden:

This one was about 8 habaneros, a mango, half a head of garlic, salt, and cider vinegar blended and bottled in old Yucateco bottles.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
My favorite internet purchase so far has to be The Pepper Plant.

https://www.amazon.com/Pepper-Plant-Sauce-Original-Pack/dp/B07199H39F/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1537888502&sr=8-3&keywords=pepper+plant

Not particularly hot, but has a distinct flavor I love on a lot of foods. Not sure what it is exactly. I've bought a dozen different sauces in the last year, Pepper Plant's the only one I've reordered multiple times - I'm on my sixth bottle right now.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Cholula green is really good on eggs too.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Loutre posted:

My favorite internet purchase so far has to be The Pepper Plant.

https://www.amazon.com/Pepper-Plant-Sauce-Original-Pack/dp/B07199H39F/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1537888502&sr=8-3&keywords=pepper+plant

Not particularly hot, but has a distinct flavor I love on a lot of foods. Not sure what it is exactly. I've bought a dozen different sauces in the last year, Pepper Plant's the only one I've reordered multiple times - I'm on my sixth bottle right now.

Ya this one is good but it's mad salty. Like, if I know I'm going to be using it I don't salt (or under salt) whatever dish I'm making. I like it on crummy steaks.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Flaggy posted:

This is my go to sauce.

Black or XXXtra hot is the way to go. Green is light weight sauce !:colbert:

I love it though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hot chili oil and scallions on my eggs ty

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Flaggy posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe.html

If you follow this recipe, they are better than fried wings. Its a bit of a process. Dry the wings, toss with salt and baking powder, leave the wings uncovered over night. Bake to perfection. My wife isn't really big on wings, I make this recipe alot now because she loves how crispy and tender the wings come out after the whole process. Once baked, toss with sauce and enjoy.

thank you for this

Potential BFF posted:

It isn't technically hot sauce but Herdez guacamole salsa is delicious and the medium variety is significantly hotter than something like red / green Cholula or Valentina.

It's essentially a salsa verde with avocado and I've been putting it on all kinds of stuff. It's especially good as salad dressing.

Can Confirm that this is amazing

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

I am going to sound like a commercial here, but Habanero Tabasco is my top favorite Louisiana-style sauce. My GOTO for eggs, pizza, shrimp, etc.--basically anything outside of Mexican dishes (for which I prefer El Yucateco black label). It is the perfect balance to me of flavor and fruitiness and fermentation pungency, while being hot enough to be interesting without overdoing it. I will be trying the Scorpion Tabasco next to see if it compares.

Edit: I know this isn't gardenchat, but I just pulled these out of the garden: Tabasco, Trinidad Moruga Scorpions, Bhut Jolokias, and a couple of Poblanos. Any suggestions on what to do with them besides just drying them out?

Pioneer42 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 27, 2018

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
No one mentioned Louisiana or Crystal on eggs? That's a staple in the South.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

QuarkMartial posted:

I do love me some Crystal

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

QuarkMartial posted:

Louisiana is good as gently caress on a lot of things, when you need that vinegary tang.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Potential BFF posted:

It isn't technically hot sauce but Herdez guacamole salsa is delicious and the medium variety is significantly hotter than something like red / green Cholula or Valentina.

It's essentially a salsa verde with avocado and I've been putting it on all kinds of stuff. It's especially good as salad dressing.

I was going to pick some of this up today and it should be illegal to call this guacamole, avocado is like the 5th ingredient on the list :spergin:

Got some authentic taco truck taco's today to put my home made jalapeno hot sauce on, was fantastic. Should have took a picture but :effort:

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

I was going to pick some of this up today and it should be illegal to call this guacamole, avocado is like the 5th ingredient on the list :spergin:

Yeah, it's not really like guacamole. It's real close to the spicy creamy green salsa that a lot of taquerias around me have. It's not as spicy some, but it's a pretty good approximation for home use.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
manzenetta habenero hot sauce just kicked my rear end oh god

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

dis astranagant posted:

Very few people know how to begin a piece of technical writing. Even $300 textbooks gotta ramble on about god, mother and apple pie for 20 pages before they get into anything you might want to know.

That's how writing is taught in college now. My wife is getting a degree in technical writing and they basically teach how to write mommy blogs. If I'm reading your technical article, I don't need to be sold on the why it's important and how I should feel about it, I'm already here reading it. SOLD. Let's get to the info. /rant

I keep a box of those cheap polyethylene gloves like they use in cafeterias and they work well cutting up hot peppers. I still wash my hands before touching sensitive body parts.

Also anyone who hasn't tried fermenting their own sauce should give it a go. My homemade hot sauce lights up my brain like nothing I've ever had from a store, I think it's the umami.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

wormil posted:

Also anyone who hasn't tried fermenting their own sauce should give it a go. My homemade hot sauce lights up my brain like nothing I've ever had from a store, I think it's the umami.

I started my first batch this week and I'm hype. It's a mix of random peppers from the farmers market. Some cayenne, hungarian wax, weird purple ones, some that may be aji amarillo, and red jalapeno.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ben Nevis posted:

I started my first batch this week and I'm hype. It's a mix of random peppers from the farmers market. Some cayenne, hungarian wax, weird purple ones, some that may be aji amarillo, and red jalapeno.

Same, they don't even label them here so I fill up a bag for $5 or however much they charge.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I've posted in this thread before, I like habanero and scotch bonnet sauces that are mostly just the pepper. Small amount of onions or carrots for sweetness. Habs and bonnets have a really clean/fresh flavor besides the heat that I love. I don't care for vinegar-heavy hot sauces. I'll try anything once though, unless it's pepper spray levels of heat.

I have been working in a warehouse, and one of our clients sells hot sauces. Out of a pallet with hundreds of bottles, there's almost always a few where the cap or plastic seal are messed up. Those can't be sold, and a lot of the time the sauce is just fine. So we get to sample most of the stuff. Some of my favorites that I haven't seen before in this thread:

Mellow Habanero does habaneros just the way I like them. They have a few varieties, a smoky one, one that has hops in it (my favorite), and a milder version for those that prefer a little less heat. One of my favorite sauces ever.

Char Man roasts peppers for their sauces. Their verde is my favorite I've ever tried. Just look at it in the bottle! You can see the flavor.

Sam and Olliver Blackheart Cherry Reaper is sweet and hot and a bit tart. It looks like runny dark cherry jam. It's not INSANE XXX ATOMIC DEATH BOMB heat level even though it has reapers in it. It is about as hot as I can handle though. Amazing on pork, and for dipping egg rolls.

High River Cheeba Gold is really good if you like Caribbean stlye sauces. It's got peaches, mustard, a hint of cumin and curry powder. It's sooo good on fish and shrimp.

Heartbreaking Dawns 1542 Southwest Habanero is "really loving good taco sauce." Has a nice deep earthy roastyness to it, and lots of garlic.

I've also gotten to try some of the sauces that come up in this thread. Dirty Dick's is excellent, Secret Aadvark was so good I went out and bought a bottle after trying it. I wish my town had a HOT SAUS EMPORIUM that did tastings/free samples or something, but getting to try all of these for free at work is almost as good. Now I have a backlog of sauces to buy, and easy reasonable Christmas wish list.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Do any of you folks use hot sauce as part of a burger/sandwich spread, and if so which hot sauces do you favor for the task? A restaurant in town used to make burger with what the chef called a "spicy cajun spread" and it was amazing. Genuinely spicy and flavorful. Sadly, the restaurant closed down about a year ago and I've wanted to recreate the burger myself. I bought some cajun mayonnaise on a lark and dear god was that awful. I figure I should do some experimenting on my own but I'm not a hot sauce expert by any means and uncertain where to start. All I can really figure is maybe I should grab something ostensibly out of Louisana and mix it with some mayonnaise.

It sounds like you got a close approximation already, but I'd start with mayo, mix in hot sauce of choice and "cajun spice" mix. Puree roasted red peppers (out of a can or jar is fine) about 1/4 the volume of your bowl of mayo, then stir in the puree. Tweak it to taste afterwards with salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, maybe a small dab of mustard.

If it had chunks, finely diced onion, garlic, maybe pickles?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'm on week one of fermenting some garden grown jalapenos, 10 Trinidad scorpions and a few habeneros with star anise, half cinnamon stick, caramon pods, fennel, garlic, scalinons etc
I wonder what I should finish it with I'm gonna try for 2 weeks. I was thinking carrots or mango but they'll be too ripe by the time its fermented..

Sorry I spelled words wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Unless it's not your thing, diced/grated* ginger would go well with everything else you've already thrown in there. Really complements cardamom, licorice/anise, and cinnamon without adding any sweetness. Unless you HATE ginger, I'd try at least one final bottle with it to test. Black pepper would mingle well too. You can also steep some of your ingredients in cheap vodka (fancy option: Everclear or similar) and add the infused liquor instead of solid ingredients if it's starting to get too thick or gritty.

*Freeze your ginger, it will last forever and also you can shave off microplane sized pieces if you just scrape frozen ginger with a steak knife. It's comically easy and less cleanup than using an actual grater/microplane.

Grated/pureed/superfine diced carrots are great to add at bottling time if your sauce came out a bit too hot and needs dilution. Adds just a pinch of sweetness. Onions are a runner-up for this method.