Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I go through bottles of Chipotle Tabasco and Tiger Sauce way faster than anything else, imo they're the best if you hosed something up and want to drown out the flavor (which happens a lot to me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Re: Mustardchat, I wish the World Market near me still stocked Dave's Hurtin' Habanero Honey Mustard - I loved that stuff, but not enough to blow $13 on a single jar of it on Amazon Prime.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

^ It's from 2013 and that probably led to increased scrutiny, I'm holding on to my XXXtra hot.

Akumos posted:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_0?ie=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=PexPeppers

One of my favorite sauce makers finally got on Amazon recently. His stock isn't huge but his sauces have always been my favorite, no extracts in them, they are extremely authentic and bold flavors. The heat on a few of them is absurd too.

Hornetbomb and Atom Splitter both sound interesting, I killed off my Mike's Hot Honey a few months ago and haven't had a honey/heat option for a while and I've legitimately never heard of a 7 pot douglah pepper.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

kloa posted:

I’ve been getting the same spurting but with ghost pepper mustard :yum:

I had Crazy Jerry's Mustard Gas (not great) and it did that too.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Have you had Marie Sharp's? I'd be interested in a head-to-head since that's the only carrot-based sauce I've used.

Also if anyone's on the fence about the Pex Peppers stuff linked last page, I'm really enjoying Hornet Bomb and thought Atom Splitter was pretty good, if a little fruitier than I'd like - I feel like I'd rather go for Dave's Scorpion Pepper if I want something around that heat level.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I want to throw a baseball right at that sauce wall.

Anyone have favorite apple cider vinegar-based sauces? I got a month of the Hot Ones box as a birthday present which included this stuff which is delicious but super thin and runny, it really kicked rear end on a meat lover's pizza. That being said, I didn't get the dates or the whiskey or anything, just a spicy apple cider vinegar more than anything and I feel like people have to be doing that better.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I've ordered through this website that carries them before and they let me add in some of the Palo Alto Firefighters Habanero packets as a freebie. They were like a platonic ideal taco sauce.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Now that it's sold out, I feel okay saying that the guys who made the fiery chipotle for Heatonist basically tweaked the recipe just enough that they could sell it under another name and sell it as Cutino's Chipotle now.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

nwin posted:

Why would you wait to share that info?

They brought that batch back for charity and it'd feel lovely undercutting that.

Since I heard about this a few years back I stopped buying Melinda's, but I miss their Naga Jolokia, a stalwart in my college fridge. Also, a diner I went to earlier this year had their XXXtra Hot and I didn't hesitate to blast my hash browns with it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Howler Monkey is delicious, but very watery.

Why does Da Bomb hurt so much?

Extracts, that leads to the metallic taste there.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

mischief posted:

We cracked open several other bottles over beer and some boring rear end football game the other day:

Zombie Apocalypse - Mostly vinegar at the start then just a sleepy gradual heat. It's hot but it's not offensive. Probably best for wings/fried chicken?
Garlic Reaper - Hot. Starts hot. Stays hot. Ends hot. Still hot. I think the garlic is just there so you can pour it.

If you had to pick between these two, which do you think is better overall? I've only tried Torchbearer's Son of Zombie which was good, but more like a barbecue sauce than anything and went super fast. I'm split between these two as the next one of theirs on the docket.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A tablespoon of crystal mixed with 3-4 drops of ghost pepper sauce is the second best on fried chicken. (The best is anything from a proper Nashville Hot Chicken place)

I just finished off a jar of Lillie's of Charleston Hab Mussy and imo it's an all-timer for anything fried and savory. Like, I'm actually glad it's not around anymore for diet purposes, haha.

Re: Nashville hot, I've never had the authentic stuff - I was in Nashville back in 2010 but it wasn't as much of a thing, at least on the level that tourists would know about it coming in. If anyone's in Chicago though, I can vouch for The Budlong having one of the best chicken sandwiches I've ever eaten.

QuarkMartial posted:

My wife just got home from a trip and brought me some Carolina Reaper beef jerky.

It's so good.

My dad's the kind of guy who gets presents from Beef Jerky Outlet and one thing I've learned from that is how amazing their reaper jerky tastes - I can just chaingun that stuff down.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

mischief posted:

Zombie Apocalypse is probably the more flexible sauce of the two, especially for fried foods.

My order from Heat came in the other day and Zombie Apocalypse (great texture, it's nice and thick and goes really well on pizza) is up there with Sam and Oliver Blackheart Cherry Reaper (the first cherry-based sauce that gives me both cherry flavor and heat) as my personal favorites.

Cutino's Habanero and Heartbreaking Dawns Skylarking Anytime are both solid but I don't see myself buying them again over other options, and Yellowbird Habanero has some kind of really unpleasant running through it (maybe a bitter batch of onions or something?) that I really don't enjoy.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

The Midniter posted:

I find the floral, fruity flavor of raw habaneros to be my favorite of any chili pepper. The fact they're very spicy is just the cherry on top.

:same:

Habaneros and scotch bonnets are pretty much the only raw peppers I enjoy eating, imo everything else needs to be pickled/cooked/whatever else

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

I like El Yucateco Black... :colbert:

I feel like it's fine and on par with like the red, but I don't see the point of any non-Kutbilik Yucateco

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

scuz posted:

Isn't that what Jesse was kinda doing at the beginning of Breaking Bad? Using cayenne pepper in his meth or something?

You know he had that chili p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Anyone else love Melinda's as a condiment style hot sauce?

Melinda's is good and I'll use it at like a diner if it's available, but I haven't bought it since learning they hosed Marie Sharp over re: her original recipe