Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

I've seen some fellow El Yucateco lovers ITT, but has anyone tried their "XXXtra" hot sauce, Kutbil-Ik? It's very hot and very delicious, with a strong Habanero flavor. I can't get enough of it.

I also tried out their Black Label sauce, and didn't like it at all. Something about the overpowering smoke flavor just turned me off big time.

Holy crap! I love the regular green El Yucateco, but I didn't know this existed!

I must find!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

AND WE HAVE A WINNER!

This is the haul that the woman and I brought back from Jamaica:

We've now tasted them all, and while we enjoyed every last one, there is a clear winner:

This stuff is fantastic. There are several styles of pepper sauce in Jamaica, but the yellow crushed Scotch Bonnet tend to be the hottest AND the most flavorful.

I bought it in the supermarket for about 1.63 a bottle in US Dollars. I wish I had stocked up, because buying it direct from the website will cost you $5 a bottle plus shipping.

http://mydadsfoods.com/products/Scotch-Bonnet-Pepper-Sauce.html

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Walmart HEAVILY customizes it's inventory to suit the local market... and I live in New England. So, I'll take a look, but it seems unlikely. We have some Hispanic folks around here, but they tend to be from PR, not Mexico.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The sandwich was decent, but I'm sort of offended by the "Firemen are just naturally SANDWICH GODS" marketing hype. I mean good for them for their entrepreneurial sucess, but the firemen I've known in real life have been bland, meat-and-potatoes/fast food type eaters. Besides, exposure to structure fires tends to dampen one's sense of smell.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

goodness posted:

But you are the only one in the world who likes subway over any other chain. Their ingredients are low quality, their bread is poo poo, their corporate is really bad at hiring people from what I have seen.

Sorry man, but their quality is much better then BK... if nothing else, the bread is fresh baked.
Also, "corporate" doesn't do the hiring, outside of airports and rest stops, the vast majority of the Subway stores are independently owned.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Subway carries "veggie patties" at most locations (actually, GardenBurger brand veggie burgers), and they have locations EVERYWHERE. That's important to me because I live with a vegetarian: when we are out on the road traveling, Subway is often the only place we can get her some protein. BurgerKing is the only burger place that sells veggie burgers, but I generally avoid BK, as I don't like their food.

CommonShore posted:

Check Walmart. Seriously.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Locations in central and Northern New Hampshire stock the red/green/black. In the urban sprawl of the southern plains, you will likely fair better.

CommonShore posted:

I'm in Canada, and not in an area with a notable mexican population. They just have that and the regular green flavour in the small bottles, one facing of each. In fact, Walmart is the only store that carries several basic "American" ingredients, like Old Bay seasoning, at least at a reasonable price.

I'd like to think that I'm pretty good about admitting when I'm wrong, so... I was wrong about this.

My local Walmart did indeed have El Yucateco in the ethnic section! However, they didn't have any of the Extra Hot, just regular red and green, plus black label. The woman and I didn't really care for The Black label, it was overwhelmingly smoky, with very little heat. Disappointing, we both love the green stuff.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, it's pretty good as basic Tabasco replacement, but the yellow scotch bonnet sauces you can get are SO MUCH better.

EDIT: reposting my post from a few pages back:

AND WE HAVE A WINNER!

This is the haul that the woman and I brought back from Jamaica:

We've now tasted them all, and while we enjoyed every last one, there is a clear winner:

This stuff is fantastic. There are several styles of pepper sauce in Jamaica, but the yellow crushed Scotch Bonnet tend to be the hottest AND the most flavorful.

I bought it in the supermarket for about 1.63 a bottle in US Dollars. I wish I had stocked up, because buying it direct from the website will cost you $5 a bottle plus shipping.

http://mydadsfoods.com/products/Scotch-Bonnet-Pepper-Sauce.html

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

At my house we really like the Tabasco chipotle. The Choloua one is nice, but salty and not very hot.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The heat level of jalapenos varies a huge amount, it's not just soil and sunlight but also genetics. What kind of sauces are you making this year?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

wormil posted:

Peppers are super super easy to grow.

Only if you have a lot of sunlight. I live in the woods, and I've totally given up on growing my own peppers. :smith:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I love Habs, but now that I can get good fresh Scotch Bonnets locally, I may not every go back.

pr0k posted:

Aint'cha got a chainsaw?

Yes I do, but 3/4 of it is Conservation land. So I'm OK with not being allowed to chop it down.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anyone try the new Taco Bell sauces yet?

I like the chipotle sauce, but it's not new. The new ones are the habanero and ghost sauces. I tried the ghost sauce and it was... not bad. Some unnecessary smoke flavor, but it DID actually taste a little like ghost peppers, and it was VERY hot for a Taco Bell product.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I bought a bottle of that El Yucateco Black stuff. Not a fan. Tastes acrid, like burnt leaves or something. Not very hot, either. blech.

Yup, I didn't like it either, and I love the regular green stuff.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

People don't seem to believe me when I tell them this, but I've spent a lifetime eating hot food, and I've never once had that problem.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm a bit past 40. The only time I've ever had burning was the occasional bout of diarrhea.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

And also, Mrs Squashy keeps a jar of extra hot ground red chiles that she liberally sprinkles onto her meals before tucking in. Sprinkles onto the meals that she's already added plenty of heat to. Mind you, her food is extremely delicious, but not at all shy with the heat.

Yep. I have a pretty strong tolerance for heat, so she makes things to my level, and then adds more heat for herself.

She's been enjoying this lately:

We brought a bottle back from Curacao, but we've since found it locally at a few Caribbean markets. Straight pickled Scotch Bonnets, great stuff.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

the_paradigm_shift posted:

It's stupidly expensive from Amazon sadly but I think it's cheaper elsewhere.

That is the case with a LOT of good hot sauces... thankfully, I've got a large Caribbean/Islander population near my house, so I can go buy a lot of them at a reasonable price.

Comb Your Beard posted:

Has anyone ever gone the extra mile of putting a bit of Sodium Benzoate in their homemade hot sauce?

Nope, but when the woman and I were obsessing over recreating our own Huy Fong Sriracha, we experimented with using a tiny pinch of black salt to help replicate that flavor. It works well, but you need to be VERY careful with that stuff, or else your food will end up tasting and smelling like low-tide.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Some hot pepper charts from Imgur:

Neither is 100% accurate, but I like these charts anyway.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

pr0k posted:

the red pepper relishy stuff that jersey mikes and subway use are also cherry peppers.

Subway localizes it's hot peppers, they are different region to region and store to store.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ate some BBQ at Okemo mountain last weekend, and they had a nice selection of local sauces.

The ginger-peach-hab was awesome on pulled pork, and I later found it at a drugstore, so I was able to buy some. Yum!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

so... it's Redneck kim chi?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

On vacation in Barbados, and drat, the locals like thier hot sauce!!!

We went to a super market, and bought a ton of bot sauce, all different kinds. Will post a pic of the entire haul when I get back.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

What a great concept, he needs better guests.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The haul from Barbados. I bought all of this at a supermarket in a mall, and it was cheap. It had a great selection and quality food, probably the best supermarket I've been to in the Caribbean. They even had Herr's potato chips.

The two items on the left aren't local to Barbados. I loving love that Jamaican yellow scotch bonnet stuff. Matouk's hot sauces are available in my area at Caribbean markets, but I'd never seen their pepper jelly. It's yummy.

Bajan sauce comes in two varieties, red and yellow. Red is a little hotter and has some vinegar, yellow has some mustard and is creamier. Both of the sauces have a nice texture from chunks of garlic, onions and peppers. The Delish brand was budget, about 82 cents a bottle. The other bottles were about $1.49, and the big plastic bottle was $2.50. The foil pouch has a wet marinade and was 69 cents.

Amanda's is like Barbadian Heinz, I'm pretty sure that it was the sauce that they served at the Hilton. It's fantastic. The Delish has been surprisingly good so far too. I haven't opened the two in the middle yet.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Planet X posted:

We have Barbadian friends, and they bring us Bajan sauce, as well as top secret homemade sauce too. I like the freshness of the cucumber.

I'm jealous! I'll bet it all tastes awesome, the food was really good on Barbados.

I bought a poorly-edited cookbook, with lots of local recipes. Here is one for a more traditional hot sauce; I haven't made it yet, as the recipe is a little weird. Maybe one of you can try it out and give us a trip report?

[notes from me are in brackets]

quote:

In the 1950's fresh horseradish was widely grown in Barbados and was a main ingredient in Bajan yellow pepper sauce. However, as the sauce became a commercial product, this wonderful ingredient faded out. This is an original old Bajan recipe.

Ingredients:
4 Oz / 125 g Green-topped spring onions
4-5 medium onions
12 fresh ripe Scotch Bonnets (or 24 chili peppers)
1/2 Oz / 15 g fresh turmeric (or 1 tsp dry powdered)
2 Tbl English Hot Mustard [Colemans. anything else and you are a MONSTER]
1/4 Cup + 2 Tbl salt [about 100 grams of salt, see note below]
2 1/2 Cups of vinegar
6 cloves of garlic
1 Lb / 500 g of fresh grated horseradish root (or 1 Tbl of dried horseradish powder) [1lb? that sounds a like a LOT]
3 dozen peeled pearl onions (Optional)

[Note: original printed recipe calls for salt as follows "1/4 cup 1oz/3og salt", which I've translated as "1/4 cup + (1 oz / 30 g)", or 6 Tbl / 100 g)]

Directions:

1. Wash, peel, and coarsely chop the onions and spring onions. Remove the stems from the hot peppers (Optional: for a less hot sauce, remove the seeds). Peel the garlic.

2. Place the onions, spring onions, turmeric, mustard, salt, chili peppers, garlic and 1/2 cup of vinegar into a food processor, and process for a few minutes. When processing, wrap a kitchen towel around the lid, as some processors will spew when thin liquids are processed.

3. Add 2 cups vinegar, the grated horseradish, and the pearl onions (optional). [no note as to whether or not you pulse it in, or just mix it in, or what]

4. Store in clean bottles.

Once I figured out the salt typo, the remaining issues are:
-1 loving pound of fresh horseradish? that seems like way too much, specially since the dry equivalent is 1 Tablespoon.
-Not sure if you are supposed to do more processing in step 3.

Some one please try this. :)

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 15, 2016

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

It's hotter then Fire sauce, but I like Fire sauce better.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

pr0k posted:

Not very spicy at all, but I have a new love - trader joe's green dragon hot sauce. Lime/cilantro/tomatillo/green chile. Heavy cilantro/tomatillo flavor, just enough heat to warm the tongue. I am puttin it on everything.

Mrs. Squashy picked up a bottle of that last week, and it's great! Nice and sour, has a strong tomatillo flavor to it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

unknown posted:

Finally, truly ripe jalapenos are available in the market. Nice red colour with good corking to them, only really once a year up north here.

As the saying goes: "Smoke 'em if you got 'em!". Eventually to be made into a nice chipotle sauce after smoking for a day or so.

Yeah, when looking at that, I drooled a little.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

This might be a retarded question, but... how is it that Ghost peppers naturally taste smoky? Without being smoked?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

As plants grow they naturally form aromatic compounds for a variety of reasons (most of them beyond my knowledge). The class of aromatic molecule that contributes to that smoky flavor is primarily phenolic, which also includes capsaicin. Peppers are very high in phenolic compounds in general, especially Capsicum chinense, the species that includes habanero, bhut jolokia, datil, and hainan peppers, among others.

That's a drat good answer, thank you.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Best base for fruity peppers like Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets, anyway.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Really, most supermarkets in the US now have a decent selection of hot sauces, including Walmart.

What you need to do now is start learning what the different peppers taste like, and which ones you like. Personally, I like the fruity peppers, like Habeneros and Scotch Bonnets.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've only seen a few episodes, but I have enjoyed that series.

I'm on vacation in St. Thomas, here is some hot sauce I bought at the supermarket. VERY tasty, but disappointing in the heat levels, particularly the Habanero. It's yummy, but not hot enough for a sauce with habs as it's number one ingredient.

The mango one tastes a bit like Mango Pickapeppa sauce, and the Papaya Curry is reminiscent of Indian lime pickle.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The mango pickapeppa is SO good, too. Almost no heat, but great on practically anything that works with sweet flavors.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The duty free shop in the Barbados airport had 2-liter bottles of Bajan hot sauce:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ben Nevis posted:

It's not particularly spicy, but my favorite mustard is Ba Tampte. It's just so purely mustard-y. It's just exactly what I want when I reach for mustard.

One of my favorites as well!
Very similar to Hebrew National, too.

More of a "spicy mustard" then a "hot mustard", though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I also got a sampler pack from datil-do-it from a co-worker for Christmas and most of them are pretty tasty but mainly just vinegar. Their Port Au Prince sauce is a really good vinegar-based mild habenero sauce.

I got regifted that same pack. With the original price tag still on it... $8.99

So far, I haven't been impressed with sauces (although I only tried 2 of them), and the some of the stuff printed on the box is ridiculous. On the habanero sauce: "The Habanero is known as one of the hottest peppers in the world..."

No. No it isn't. :colbert:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I discovered Colman's yellow mustard outside of the The British Museum in London. I got a hot dog from a cart, and the only mustard they had was in a yellow plastic squeeze bottle. I assumed that it was plain old American yellow mustard, like French's, so I squirted a shitload all over my dog. It was an eye-opening and eye-watering experience when I bit into it.

Still ate the whole thing, though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jose posted:

anyone make their own mustard? seems like it should be easy enough

I've done it a few times. Including one of the ICSA competitions, Battle Mustard.

Grinding the seeds took a LOT more work then I thought (I used my Cuisinart), so make sure you soak them through thoroughly before processing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I love the Grace hot sauces. That one is awesome, but even their basic red Tabasco knockoff is an improvement on the original.