Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Got pale orange habaneros from farmers market seed, bigger red habaneros, brown jamaican chocolate pepper, red ghost, yellow ghost, "big thai hybrids," and proper upward growing thai chiles. Should I do individual sauces or mix them all together? Thinking just garlic and white wine vinegar, in the past with onion and other stuff the texture was too thick and I had to strain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What do y'all think about using Passion Fruit Concentrate in a hot sauce? Really dig passion fruits.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Has anyone ever gone the extra mile of putting a bit of Sodium Benzoate in their homemade hot sauce?

My method has been to keep my original batch of homemade in the fridge in big plastic vinegar bottles and blend it for usage in glass Crystal bottles with a little bit of Red Yucateco. That way I get a bit of preservative action from the commercial hot sauce and my homemade gets stretched a bit further.

Typically I don't consistently fridge the current hot sauce I'm using, but it contains a lot of vinegar anyway.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Salt Fish posted:

I've been on an autistic bender of enjoying hot sauce and I could use some advice on what to try next. I started a year ago thinking that taco bell "fire" sauce was too hot if I used a whole packet and now I'm looking for something hotter than el yucateco xxxtra hot. I like habanero and very specifically red sauces. The carrot stuff is awesome and I really like Marie Sharps fiery hot, but I've grown a tolerance to it's heat and I can only eat so much of it because it gets way too sweet.

Nice choice on the el yucateco xxxtra hot, that stuff has a funky sickly heat that sneaks up on you. Bonus points for the gibberish language in the name Kutbil-ik (Mayan?). The taste is pretty unlike a red sauce though.

Check out Melinda's, they have a Ghost, Naga Jolokia, and Scorpion sauce in their lineup. I'd avoid extracts, just go for super hots. World Market has them in stock usually.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Is it cool to talk about making hot sauce in this thread?

I usually make hot sauce with formerly fresh frozen whole peppers (minus the stem and the core where it attaches obvi). Then whole garlic, salt, vinegar, blend, minimal filtering. Then I bottle it in old 12 oz Crystal hot sauce bottles thinned out a bit with a thinner commercial brand like Crystal or Goya.

Got some dried chile de árbols that are quite hot. Thinking split them lengthwise, destem, dump, rehydrate in white vinegar, then use them the same way I would the thawed ones, reserving vinegar for later. Good plan or nah?

Cholula uses árbols and that stuff is quality in my opinion.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm kinda intimidated to do a fermented mash. At this point I will probably stick with my method since I like the taste.

I use a lot of vinegar but it never tastes too sour like Tabasco does to me.

The white vinegar I have on-hand currently is this funky Filipino brand. I also use a little fish sauce and cider vinegar.

Next growing season I'm keeping it simple and just buying seeds from Burpee. Red Habaneros and "Dragon Cayennes".

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Kenji from Food Lab/Serious Eats wrote up his 30 favorite hot sauces. Some of my favs are on there, only one I'm missing is Crystal.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/02/kenjis-favorite-hot-sauces-chili-pepper.html

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I usually freeze them as they ripen then use a dehydrator when I have enough for a batch to turn into powder/flakes in a food processor.

I agree on freezing. Pick them as they ripen as he said and you can freeze immediately. That way you can have all the fruit off a single plant at uniform ideal ripeness. I make sauce so I just do one big thaw when I'm ready. Freezing and thawing softens the pepper somewhat too.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My horseradish routine has been to keep the root in the freezer, grate as needed, and directly use the shavings in whatever I need. Seems to work pretty well.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's missing something. I think I wanted to throw some garlic and some kind of spice into it but I forgot.

I dropped onions and started just using garlic, seems to give more flavor and less bulk. It sounds like you're doing a low quantity of ultra-hot peppers, 9 peppers total going into 5 bottles. Maybe round it out with more medium hot peppers, some arbols, cayennes, thais, serannos, or jalapenos. I also use fish sauce in lieu of salt but I'm a freak.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Pooper Trooper posted:

Hi thread! So this Saturday I decided to try fermenting peppers for the first time. Yesterday I saw this fur had developed on the surface. What do you think? Is it mold or yeast, which I've read can develop? And in the more likely scenario that it's mold, what do I do?

Scrape it off and maybe the good lactic acid bacteria will win out. Might just be a fail though.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I made hot sauce again, I thought I would do a little post with images. I do a Mexican style sauce with some Asian ingredients. No fermenting just vinegar. This year I went with a 3:1 ratio of Filipino Cane Vinegar:Apple Cider Vinegar. Oddly it still doesn't taste too vinegary like Tabasco. Garlic the only other solid ingredient. I also don't strain it at all. I bottle it with a bit of thinner commercial sauce to thin it out. 2017 growing season my garden didn't give me good yields so I purchased a bag of Thai peppers, destemmed them, froze. Typically I pick peppers as they ripen, destem, immediately freeze. Also I love fish sauce so all the salt comes from fish sauce. This batch should last me at least until the fall where hopefully I will have a good harvest to start anew.

Album: https://imgur.com/a/oqUB9

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 19, 2018

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Trader Joes Habanero hot suace is pretty good and very cheap in store. Plenty of that habanero brightness and wicked heat and not a lot else, just supporting flavors. Probably the best store brand I've tried of one.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

wormil posted:

After watching the video by Bon Appetit on making hot sauce I'm going to make some. He used Fresno and habenero but I want medium heat and fruity. Any specific recommendations on peppers and ratios thereof?

At the local supermarkets, selection is usually limited to habenero, jalapeno, anaheim, bell, occasionally serranos. There is a real Mexican grocery nearby, I was there yesterday, but they don't have much more selection in fresh peppers. This weekend I'll check the farmer's market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGjCeAbWKPo

Habeneros have a great sunny fruitiness and breeders have even created strains with that same note but way less heat. I wouldn't count out using them. One option: buy Chile de árbol in dried form and rehydrate. At any Latino grocer it will cheap and plentiful, like a huge bag. Or go Cayenne, classic for sauce for a reason.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

katkillad2 posted:

Got about 20 jalapenos from the garden, any best way to make it into hot sauce? Googling it, the first three recipes all seem to be the same without any fermentation. ( I'd like to avoid fermentation anyways because :effort: )

My process is:
Freeze as they ripen.
Thaw it all when you are ready to make sauce.
Dice, saute with small amount of oil, a lot of garlic. Just slightly cooked down to where garlic is golden color.
Blend with vinegar, salt.

Other ingredients people use are onion, carrot, various fruit like mango.

Fermentation always seemed too unpredictable to me, I haven't tried it.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Basic disposable gloves (like the kind a doctor uses) are actually really effective at preventing this type of thing.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
How is Valentina so thick without using a thickening agent? Some magic of industrial food science? Omitting it from their ingredients list? It also kinda clings to everything.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
People like the taste of habs so much they bred heatless hab varieties. Really don't get where you're coming form.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My hot sauce recipe I go hot pepper and garlic straight into vinegar. If I wanted to dip my toes into the lacto-ferment world, would I do garlic and pepper or just pepper in my mash?

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 17, 2019

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

sadus posted:

Just got a bunch of scotch bonnets from eBay, way more than I can use soon. They are still a bit moist - what's the best way to preserve pure peppers? Pop them in a demudifier?

Depends on your goals for them. I would freeze them.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Usually I make hot sauce with straight vinegar no lacto action. This year I think I will do a small test batch.

1. Weigh solids (peppers and garlic)
2. Chop to like a medium dice
3. Put in small jar
4. Add weighed advised percentage salt (kosher, not iodized), mix it in
5. Add a little bit of yogurt liquid from a yogurt brand I like
6. Rubber band coffee filter over it

Good recipe? Do I need to add a bit of distilled water too?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I think my lacto ferment is going well. Did a no added water method. Jalapenos, serranos, cayennes, habaneros, garlic rough chopped. Previously frozen. All red and ripe, destemmed, additionally cored the jalapenos a little bit. 5% kosher salt by weight. Liquid from a single Fage yogurt added.

Been going a week and it smells pretty strong. No visible mold or anything. My first time fermenting anything except preserved lemon I did once.

I'll be interested to see if this makes me abandon my cook it down a bit->straight vinegar method. This is enough for like 1-2 test bottles.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
El Yucateco XXXtra hot is so good. I make my own hot sauce but when I bottle it from the jars I blend in a little of that too. I kinda wonder if it's really as "Mayan" as the label would suggest.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

ItBreathes posted:

Got my hands on a blender and ready to start making my own hot sauces. If you're going with a pepper/garlic/vinegar sauce, there's no reason you'd actually need to cook it, right? Like, it would impact flavor and consistency but the vinegar should prevent spoilage.

Also, from the top of the page, Gringo Bandito Verde is absolutely delicious. The others, not so much.

You could cook it down a bit before blending or you could not, it's a stylistic choice.

If you're using raw garlic I would puree it directly in plenty of vinegar, there's evidence the presence of acid makes the garlic more mellow and delicious. https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/02/make-the-most-out-of-garlic-chopping-acid-heat.html

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My test ferment of mixed peppers and garlic + 5% dry salt by weight + fage yogurt water starter worked it seems. Just left it in the cabinet for like 2 whole months with banded coffee filter cover, pureed it straight up with my usual vinegar blend. I got to taste it to see if the final result is actually more delicious than my cook-down method.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I had good results with this. Salt and baking powder the skin, leave uncovered in fridge, then bake.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe.html

If you sub out Franks for a different sauce (after all this is the Hot Sauce thread), maybe put in a tiny bit of some syrup or sugar, to me Franks reads kind of sweet.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Once you've pureed your peppers with your liquid, is there any value to letting the solids sit in the liquid for a while? Thinking no? My inlaws got me an unnecessarily nice blender, a vitamix.

My method is gonna be push against mesh strainer then spoon some into a coffee filter squeeze that hard then just throw away little lump of filter. To get that last bit of liquid. I used to not even strain at all, got tired of it.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Made hot sauce with ghost, habanero, thai, cayenne, serrano, rehydrated arbol, garlic, cane vinegar, apple cider vinegar, lime suice, fish sauce, miso, dashi powder. All the peppers were ripened to red. It's borderline too spicey but good, ghost chiles don't gently caress around. May bottle with a bit of Crystal to tame it. I feel like the heat takes a step down after a while though with home made, maybe a month in.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Before I freeze them, I core jalapenos just a little bit. But not as severely as you would a bell pepper. Cut like 3 or 4 slanted 1 cm deep cuts where the stem attached and scoop out. Does that make sense? Feel like that area is more vegetal, less flavor and heat.

For making sauce later on.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Tincture use is more limited I would think, I use mine for cocktails . My margarita mix-in is fresh red habanero and dried chipotle from the store. The shriveled brown ones not the adobe cans. Chopped, let it go a few days, strained. Regular tequila was fine, didn't use everclear like making bitters. Less work than making sauce.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 9, 2021

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm too lazy/busy to start seeds. Where can I get more exotic hot pepper plants already ready to put in? Beyond what home depot would have. I'm in northern virginia. I'll try my local farmers market I guess.

In year 2 at my new house. Last year the stuff I just crammed in the ground south facing, no soil amending grew the best.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
If you want to make a fermented hot sauce with garlic do you ferment the garlic? Or pepper, salt, water, only? I think garlic after? I've always done various vinegars, umami/salt boosters, little bit of super lime juice from the bar. Just always hear how good the lacto fermenting is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm overwintering a pepper plant (orange ghost) using this guide and it's been successful so far. Was my best one, great heat. The leaves grew back. I skipped the insecticide soap step. I might only grow it solo next year, I have too many peppers and made sauce. This is after it looked semi dead from cold too.

https://peppergeek.com/overwintering-pepper-plants/