Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I've seen some fellow El Yucateco lovers ITT, but has anyone tried their "XXXtra" hot sauce, Kutbil-Ik? It's very hot and very delicious, with a strong Habanero flavor. I can't get enough of it.

I also tried out their Black Label sauce, and didn't like it at all. Something about the overpowering smoke flavor just turned me off big time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

Tried this the other day and my stomach still hurts :(

drat. I've practically built up a tolerance to it, I use this stuff almost every day.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If there are any fellow Chicagoons ITT, I highly recommend checking out Habanero Grill in the west loop. Ask for the Habanero sauce, it is extremely spicy but oh so delicious.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/haba-nero-baja-grill-chicago

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Found a new hot sauce I love:

The Habanero flavor of Louisiana Hot Sauce. Pretty hot, but not upsettingly so.

The label says "One Drop Does It" but a couple quick dashes should be juuuust right ;)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll check out Tabasco Chipotle. I hate regular Tabasco so I had written it off, but it sounds like it might be right up my alley.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks everyone who recommended Chipotle Tabasco. The flavor is fantastic, nice and smokey and not too vinegary like regular Tabasco.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I had the ghost pepper griller or whatever it's called. It was hotter than anything else I've had at taco bell but not that hot considering it has "ghost pepper" in the name.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I bought a bottle of that El Yucateco Black stuff. Not a fan. Tastes acrid, like burnt leaves or something. Not very hot, either. blech.

Yeah I don't know why that one's so awful, the rest of their sauces are great.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

katkillad2 posted:

Not completely relevant to the thread, but figured this might be the best place to ask. Anyone have any suggestions on pickled peppers to buy similar to the kind Jimmy John's uses on their sandwiches?

Also yes, if the hot sauce tastes good enough I'll put a few splashes in my mouth.

Jimmy Johns uses Cherry Peppers, but the taste is pretty indistinguishable from plain ol Pepperoncinis, aka the peppers you get with a Papa Johns pizza. You should be able to find them either whole or pre-sliced in the pickle section of the grocery store.

My other favorite pepper-based sandwich topping is Giardiniera, which is a mix of peppers and assorted other vegetables like cauliflower, carrots, celery, and other stuff. Super spicy and delicious

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pr0k posted:

the red pepper relishy stuff that jersey mikes and subway use are also cherry peppers. Don't know jimmy johns but I'm guessing its the same. See attached picture.

JJs uses sliced peppers. Upon GIS it looks like it actually might be a mix of peppers, I thought they were all Cherry.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Not technically a hot sauce, but Mrs. Renfro brand salsa has some insanely hot variations, including ghost pepper and a ton of habanero salsas. They have them in the salsa section of my local supermarket.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What is hot chow chow???

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So is it like relish but cabbage instead of cucumber?

Sounds like something I'd love.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Herr Tog posted:

We are posting friends now for you putting me on these things.

:respek:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You guys ever watch Hot Ones? It's an interview show where between every question they eat a chicken wing doused in increasingly spicy hot sauce.

Key and Peele did admirably:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_9v-7rtVDk

Cholula was too spicy for DJ Khaled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcEpHnaZMgg

They also sell their own brand of hot sauce which I should probably buy and do a trip report for this thread.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Manslaughter posted:

Diablo sauce is back at taco bell.

I had this today. It was good!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Any of you guys had this stuff?

Ordered a couple bottles, will post trip report when they get in.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jmcrofts posted:

Any of you guys had this stuff?

Ordered a couple bottles, will post trip report when they get in.

This came in today. It's really good, starts out sweet but then has a decently hot finish. My only complaint is I feel like you kind of need to put a lot of it on, I went through like 1/5 of a bottle for one order of fried chicken.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mariooncrack posted:

Looking forward to the trip report. I've been thinking about picking up a bottle or two of this.

http://www.blazegourmet.com/collections/hot-sauces

This is a local hot sauce maker of mine. I really like their mild thing and his taco sauce. His salsa is good too.

The Hot Ones sauce is excellent. It's not super hot but it tastes delicious.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doom Rooster posted:

I'd say that they probably won't harm you. The flavor will have changed over time, so a 2010 vintage will not taste the same as a fresh version of the same sauce.

Agree with this. It's like beer, it loses its subtlety and flavor with time but it never becomes harmful.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

katkillad2 posted:

Took some of the suggestions and bought like 6 bottles of hot sauce, the one that really stands out is this:

It's smokey, vinegary and the perfect amount of heat... easily my new favorite hot sauce. Is there anything similar/better or should I just continue buying this stuff for the rest of my life?

Try Chipotle Tabasco. Even if you hate regular Tabasco (like I do) the Chipotle version has great smoke flavor and just the right amount of heat.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does it have liquid rage tho?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just bought a shitload of hot sauces:

4 bottles of Hot Ones - I bought 2 bottles of this a while ago and went through them super fast. It's too good.
Secret Aardvark Drunken Jerk - looking forward to making some jerk chicken with this
High River Rogue - I just heard this one was good

Will return with trip reports when they get here

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This is my current fav sauce:

Not really as hot as the label would lead you to believe, but VERY flavorful and delicious. I think some grocery stores carry it now, or if you're lucky enough to live close to a Nando's restaurant they'll sell it to you there.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RisqueBarber posted:

What's everyone's favorite hot sauce for wings? I'm grilling some next weekend and want to try something new.

You cool with waiting for shipping? Cuz this stuff is my jam right now

http://heatonist.com/hot-ones-hot-sauce/

I also made some jerk wings by marinating chicken wings with this stuff, and they were perfect:

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Aardvark-Drunken-Jerk-Sauce/dp/B00AIR3MZK

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doom Rooster posted:

These ghost peppers:

Got turned into these bottles of hot sauce.

Ghost peppers with all seeds removed, roasted red bell pepper, onion, garlic, carrot, cider vinegar, white vinegar, salt.

After about 2 weeks of mellowing, it's loving excellent. Flavor is great, but not overpowering, not too much vinegar, so it matches well with a TON of stuff. The way the heat comes on is really cool. It hits almost instantly, and it is intense but not painful. It just stays exactly the same level of spicy for like 60 seconds, then starts to fade. My goal here was a good general purpose sauce, and I am very pleased with it.

Since making those bottles though, I've harvested 7 more ghost peppers, so am looking to make another batch or two of more specialized sauces. Something sweet and fruity maybe, then something dark and savory?

Looks fantastic! If you're looking for something darker maybe try roasting peppers on the grill to get some roasty toasty smoke flavor

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah boys, got 2 of these ordered before they instantly sold out

https://heatonist.com/hot-ones-the-last-dab/

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shipment gets in today :pray:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

COOL CORN posted:

I guess the sauce killed Jmcrofts. Would love to hear how it is!

Folks, what are some good foods to put hot sauce on for people who don't eat meat? I know about eggs, and burritos of course, but I feel like there's gotta be something to get the same je ne sais quoi as a hot-sauce-laden wing.

Sorry guys, it didn't kill me I just forgot to post.

It's fantastic, I would highly recommend it to anyone that likes really hot sauce. It's very hot and very delicious, the ginger and yellow mustard flavors make it a perfect accompaniment to chicken in particular.

THAT BEING SAID, they recently revealed that a lab they sent it to rated it at 2.4 million scovilles which is honestly a joke. That is hotter than a carolina reaper pepper, there's no way this sauce is anywhere near that in reality. I've had 200k scoville hot sauces that tasted much hotter than The Last Dab.

So I still think it's a great sauce but if you go in expecting it to be the hottest sauce you've ever tasted and blow your face off you may be disappointed.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 25, 2017

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

There's a spice store near my apartment that has a bunch of different varieties of dried chiles. Has anyone ever tried to make stuff out of dried chiles (or used them in conjunction with fresh ones), and was it worth it?

Can't speak to using them in hot sauce, but for making chili they are invaluable

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Do you just toss a couple in while it's stewing, or do you cut them up in any way?

You can grind them in a spice grinder to make chili powder, or my preferred method is to toast them dry in a pan, deglaze with a small amount of chicken stock, then just let it simmer for a few minutes to hydrate the chilis. Then pour the whole deal into a blender, and it makes this really rich, delicious chili paste that is the perfect base for chili.

The method is explained in more detail here:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/01/the-best-chili-recipe.html

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Herr Tog posted:

HEY THREAD. Spicy bbq sauce or should I take sauce I like and add to it instead?

I made some hot BBQ sauce just by mixing Sweet Baby Ray's and Dirty Dick's and it was amazing, would recommend.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

COOL CORN posted:

What everyone's favorite "extremely hot" sauce? Stuff in the league of Da Bomb, Mad Dog 357, Blaire's ____ Death, etc.

I have the standards: El Yuc, Secret Aardvark, Hot Ones Chipotle, Hot Ones Habanero, etc, but I want something more intense in my lineup.

I have to buy more Aardvark anyway, so I was gonna throw something else in the cart.

1. Hot Ones Last Dab
2. Mad Dog 357 Gold Edition
99. Da Bomb

These are the only mega hot sauces I've purchased. Stay away from Da Bomb, it's horrible. The other 2 taste pretty good (357 is the hottest one if that matters)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

angor posted:

Which Da Bomb did you buy? I have the regular stuff (not beyond insanity) and I don't think it's that bad at all. Maybe I need to revisit it.

Mega late reply but yes, I've only had Beyond Insanity and it is horrible. I wasn't even aware there was a base-level Da Bomb