Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

I love Cholua, but it's freaking expensive, so Valentina is a good compromise.

Tapatio is pretty good too.

I've also had this Rhino Peri-Peri sauce that's absolutely fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Is Cholua any cheaper if bought in bulk? I ask because it's my favorite sauce, but at $5 or so for a small bottle, it's absurdly expensive.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

I made my own sauce from home grown Thai chillies and habaneros.

Chopped them up fresh with just a little onion and garlic, put them in the food processor until they liquefied, and put them in a jar in the fridge with plenty of vinegar and some salt.

Left em there for 2 months, strained them, bottled it, and it wasn't half bad. Pretty drat good considering I didn't follow a recipe and just used poo poo I already had.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Is it El Yucateco that gets its delicious flavor from a delicate touch of lead particles in its secretive cavern bottling plant in darkest Mehico?

Also I'm seriously considering buying a gallon of Cholua next paycheck...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Croatoan posted:

I know a guy who's son makes ramen and throws in some peanut butter and sriracha to make a ghetto pad thai. TBH I kinda want to try it.

Back to hot sauces, I finally got around to trying Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce and holy gently caress that burned my tongue for like 10 minutes. That's from taking a few drops on my tongue. On a sandwich it was great but god drat that poo poo was too much for me on it's own.

Edit: I should clarify, I love Dave's Total Insanity Sauce and don't have a problem taking a few drops straight up.

A friend bought me a bottle of Dave's Ultimate Insanity sauce because he knows I like hot sauce.

Thing is, I normally enjoy sauces such as Cholua, Tabasco, and Tapatio. I have no experience with the super ridiculous hot sauces, except occasionally putting some in big batches of chilli.

On another note, I am growing 5 Tabasco pepper plants this summer. I'm planning on making hot sauce, and I would welcome instructions or techniques from experienced Sauciers.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Not really a hot sauce, but I love me some Pickapeppa sauce.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Tabasco Chipotle is thicker than regular Tabasco, for one thing.

I actually prefer it over Cholua Chipotle, although I prefer Cholua regular and Cholua Chili-Garlic over most any other sauces.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

I absolutely love garlic based sauces. How hot would you say that Vampire Slayer sauce is? Are we talking ghost peppers, or just Habanero?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Hey goons I put some peppers in a blender with garlic, salt, onion, and vinegar. Can I keep the mash in the pantry without killing myself, or should it go in the fridge? And how long should I let it sit before straining it (if I choose to do so)?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

taqueso posted:

If you can get the pH down to 3.8 or lower, it will keep outside the fridge because bacteria won't be able to survive.

What's a good way to measure pH? I'm assuming some sort of food grade test strips, but I wouldn't know where to find them.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Why would you call Cholua an "alternative to Frank's"? They're nothing at all alike (to me anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Chipotle Tabasco is the premier Chipotle sauce.
Chili-garlic Cholua is the superior garlicky sauce.
Pickapeppa is the best not hot sauce.
Not sure what my favorite "just hot sauce" sauce is tho.

E: it's a recurring joke in my family that there is probably lead in El Yucateco but no one cares because it's so good.