Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
can hot sauce be yellow? and not contain vinegar?

although, this would probably be good with some white vinegar, I always end up squeezing half a lime on whatever I eat with it.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Sure.

Ingredients:
  • ~ 1/2 cup of roasted unsalted peanuts (i like a bit more)
  • ~ 20 chiles de arbol (10 grams or .35 oz)
  • 1 cup of water
  • 2 cloves of garlic
Instructions:
  • lightly crush garlic, add to a hot pan with 2 tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil.
  • when it smells garlicky, add the peanuts, stir often.
  • when the peanuts start to change color but have not darkened, add the peppers and stir for about 20 seconds. (image 2)
  • dump garlic, peanuts, peppers, and oil somewhere and add the cup of water to cool and stop the browning (image 3)
  • put all that poo poo in the blender with a teaspoon of salt (or add a bit less and then adjust for taste)
  • blend on turbo for 1 minute
Notes:
you could use salted peanuts and not add salt, or even raw peanuts and just leave them longer in the oil
in some restaurants the use vinegar as well, I normally squeeze a lime before blending, but you don't need it

It will thicken slightly when it cools, a favorite of mine on rib-eye tacos with lime, or on grilled corn on the cob

ogarza fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 3, 2019

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

:same:

Habaneros and scotch bonnets are pretty much the only raw peppers I enjoy eating, imo everything else needs to be pickled/cooked/whatever else

I love bird pepper, growing up we just had them on a little plate on the table and you would just grab a few to munch on while eating, delicious.

In fact, I think these taste like crap when pickled.

Sometimes we would let them get red on the plant and pick them, dehydrate and blend to a powder and just re-filled season all bottles with the powder, good sprinkled on pretty much everything IMO.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
What are you guy's thoughts on just making salsa? being from Mexico, using hot sauce on anything that is not snack food seems very strange. If we want a sour bite with mix some vinegar or lime with the sauce.

I keep a bottle with something made fresh every week, toss it in when cooking eggs, tacos, or when cooking rice, etc. In my opinion hot sauce is very inferior.

Now if I'm eating popcorn, or kettle cooked chips.. hell yeah, add some valentina/cholula, lots of lime juice, tajin powder a few drops of maggi or worcestershire sauce and toss until everything is coated with a bit of everything... then sprinkle a bit more lime.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 22, 2019

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Much improved this time

However many peanuts and arbol peppers you see in there, about 4-5 garlic cloves, fried in olive oil

Blended with water, more oil, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, 2 raw cloves of garlic, 2-3 cloves (sticks), salt.

aww hell yeah

Spicy, garlicky, creamy, and slightly tart.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Clove, more garlic, this time used the peanut skins and a bit more acid

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Looks awesome! Does it have a strong peanut flavor from the roasted nuts? Seems like it would also go great with Vietnamese or Thai food. Maybe try some scallions too?

Yes, it taste like peanuts... I'd imagine this would be really tasty with thai

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

wormil posted:

I'm going to have a load of cayenne peppers soon and already bought 3 bags of unsalted peanuts, can't wait to make this. How well does it keep in the fridge?

Longest I've had it in the fridge was 1 week, 2 wide mouth mason jars, lol, tasted fine. It's like peanut butter with vinegar so, I feel it keeps better than tomato based salsas.

Also 3 bags, holy crap... what you see in that pan was enough to fill 3 mason jars, since you add water and vinegar when blending

Almost filled the blender.

You could make different batches and experiment, my mom liked it with a 3 to 1 parts of water and white vinegar, I preferred apple cider and lime juice, but we both liked heavy on the garlic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

wormil posted:

Yeah I bought the peanuts long before seeing your post, no idea why I even mentioned it except to express enthusiasm.

It's really tasty on grilled corn on the cob or in a cup, mayo, tajin powder, peanut salsa, lime.. mmm

ogarza fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 17, 2019