Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

The extra hot is easily my favorite hot sauce. I wish I could find it in the KC area, though. Every time I visit my parents, I always get funny looks with a cart full of a month or twos supply of the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

I'm not too partial to the green stuff, but they have pretty much every other kind of El Yucateco around me. The chipotle and the Mayan Kutbil-Ik versions are delicious.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Probably because most people don't love hot sauce as much as we do. As an extremely pasty white male, anytime I go into a Thai restaurant or any other place with respectable spicy food, I usually make sure to stress that I like things Thai hot or equivalent. I've gotten funny looks and "Are you sure?" quite a few times.

I'll burn my mouth with copious amounts of capsaicin and like it, damnit.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Is it normal to have a literal Pavlovian response to hot sauce? The second I catch a good whiff, my mouth is watering in anticipation of the burn.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

litany of gulps posted:

You eventually get to the point where your brain associates heat with the endorphin rush it creates, and you'll start salivating just thinking about the smell and taste of hot peppers.

Once I've committed to grabbing some chips and hot sauce to snack on, my mouth is watering before I even get to the fridge to grab the bottles.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

How is it? Until you posted this, I forgot I picked up a bottle a couple weeks ago, and it's been sitting in my pantry waiting for me.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I love Crystal. It's pretty much my goto when I want some flavor. The Xtra Hot is my true favorite, but I haven't been able to find it outside my hometown. Whenever I make a trip out there, I'm always loading up a cart basket full of the stuff.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

CommonShore posted:

Yeah after posting I checked their website. No retailers in Canada. One goofball specialty online store wants $6/bottle + $12 shipping for one. gently caress that.

From looking at the colour and descriptions I've read, I've been imagining it as a smokier/oaky version of Franks. Am I way off?

Yeah, it's definitely just more a pure pepper and vinegar flavor. Plain, simple, and delicious. The Xtra hot is just more of the same with a bit more of a kick.

I wish I could find a good source on the Xtra hot. Where my parents lives, they usually have the small bottles for $1 at Wal-Mart and I haven't been able to find anything online that's anywhere near that cheap.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
The glass is just a spice enhancer. When the little bits cut up your mouth, then you'll really feel that delicious capsaicin burn.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Found this while out shopping hiding on a corner shelf. It's definitely one of the hotter sauces I've tried. I need to have some more to get a true sense of it's flavor as just a little dab was enough to start an endorphin rush.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
El Yucateco.

Markoff Chaney posted:

A warning to El Yucateco fans: Their sauce has been found to contain a bit more lead than we really want to put in our bodies and lead is not a thing to take lightly http://news.unlv.edu/article/study-hidden-dangers-hot-sauce

Are there any test strips you can buy to test stuff for lead? The black label El Yucateco is delicious, but lead poisoning isn't. :ohdear:

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Pioneer42 posted:

Crystal > Louisiana > Tabasco

I'm sorry, you had that backwards.

Anyone with Crystal in their area seen the Extra Hot variant? I saw my parents last weekend and hit up the stores looking to stock up and there was nothing. They had nothing months ago, but I assumed they were just temporarily out of stock. It was my favorite. :smith:

xergm fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 31, 2014

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

CommonShore posted:

Check Walmart. Seriously.

Just make sure you look in the Hispanic foods aisle. I'm still not entirely sure what dictates whether a hot sauce is put there vs the regular condiment aisle by the other hot sauces.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
One of my favorites. I go through bottles of that stuff quickly enough that my preference of grocery store is based on whether or not they carry my preferred hot sauces.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Eat more hot sauce until it knows who's boss.

The only time I've ever had a problem with that is when I eat something at my heat limit. The burning butthole is actually the relieving part, just wait until you eat something hot enough that your whole intestinal tract hates you. You can actually feel it work it's way through.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Which kind did you get? There's 2 versions.

Yellow label (regular):

Black label (extra hot):

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Doom Rooster posted:

Crystal blue top (mostly flavor, not much heat), or red top (decent heat level)

Please tell me if you can find this and, if so, where. All the Xtra Hot bottles have dried up for the last couple years from all the usual places. The only way I can buy it without paying a ridiculous markup is the buy the gallon size and refill.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

straight up brolic posted:

Dave's Insanity sauce lives up to the name. I couldn't hear for 10 min after dabbing it on a rib.

I thought I was the only one who gets weird ear feelings. It's like my inner ear is sweating and feeling tickly when I eat something sufficiently hot.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Been devouring some Pain Is Good and Melinda's at work.

Taste and heat wise, they're pretty close, which is to say they're delicious.

The faces in the label are what you look like in the bathroom after eating way too much. :v:

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I think I have that same set! I should probably actually get to using it, one of those things I just kind of forgot about.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
This is why I like dropping in to World Market from time to time.

They're both deliciously hot.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Democratic Pirate posted:

The $20 for 3 bottles they have on their website is a good deal, but the $14 for shipping is enough to price me out.

Amazon has 3 for $20.99 with prime.
https://smile.amazon.com/Secret-Aardvark-Habanero-Sauce-2-Pack/dp/B00E5PZ2JA/

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Article in Deadspin today about Carolina Reaper eating contests and the world of peppers. https://deadspin.com/conquering-the-carolina-reaper-requires-self-deceit-mi-1834153829

I decided to try my hand at growing peppers this year and while I don't have Reapers because my seed order came in super late, but I do have some Trinidad Moruga Scorpion seedlings going.

I have no doubt this same pain and suffering await me, and it'll be fun to see how these tiny plants grow into spicy monsters.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Dave's Scorpion Pepper sauce does not have extract, and it's deliciously hot.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Cold pizza, hot pizza, it all gets the Aardvark.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
El Yucateco Black Label may be poo poo, but the Mayan Kutbil-ik sauce is pretty good.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Picked the last harvest from my pepper plants today. I think I need to make some hot sauce...

Left to right: Ghost, Moruga Scorpion, Carolina Reaper

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
No plans yet. Certainly open to input if anyone has any they have tried with some super-hots.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I checked out one of the international markets in town that I had never been to before.

It was a good trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

kazr posted:

Marie Sharp's Beware habanero sauce is one if my favorites. Ironically, right next to Melinda's ghost pepper wing sauce

It's the first one I opened and I absolutely loved it too. I was a little worried there would be an unnatural taste when I saw it contained capsicum extract, but it was amazing!