Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

FATWOLF posted:

2tsp of seeded habaneros in over 3 cups of other stuff is weak as hell. that recipe will never be hot.

The mango really dulls the heat. When I do my roasted Tomatillo salsa, I use 3 to 5 whole habeneros (seeds and veins) for 1 quart. 3 makes it pleasantly hot and 5 makes it exciting. It's amazing how sweet ingredients take down the heat (carrots, fruit, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

rj54x posted:

So all of my habaneros ripened at once. Any habanero sauce recipes that will last a fairly long time? I don't want to wind up with a huge batch that'll go bad in a week's time.

When I've got a lot of habaneros, I just roast them along side onions and garlic and make hot sauce in little bottles. I cut it about 50/50 with vinegar and blend them up until smooth. Tastes kind of sweet and not too hot at all. It likes a fair amount of salt so taste test as you're boiling the mixture. Shelf stable for years, especially if you process the bottles.

Sambal Oelek is good too but I wonder if habaneros are too spicy.

Roasted tomatillos are a good addition too. Just make sure that you're processing the jars properly and keeping the PH below 4 as mentioned above.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

My current favorite is a hot sauce made by an owner of one of the vendors that my company uses. He doesn't sell it. He gives it away to his clients as gifts in nice retail packaging.

It comes in two flavors:

"Habenero Hotsauce" (Easy going, like Yucateco)
and
"The Hottest Fuckin' Sauce" (it creeps up on you. It starts mild and just keeps building.)