Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Working on my own hot sauce blends... today's experiment was trying to do something like Fiery Chipotle because I like the general concept a lot. Want to tweak the recipe a few more batches before I release anything but so far so good. Always been a hot sauce lover, it's just interesting to me how easy it is to try things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Hey, since some were talking about growing stuff I'll ask here.

I'm new at bothering to garden because I've never found anything worth the trouble vs hitting farmers markets or good grocery stores. Getting the peppers I want changes that. How hard are these things to do, really? My intent is to plant things outdoors (I have a few acres of what used to be farm field) and screw with them minimally. I'm in SE Wisconsin in USDA 5a, so I'm not even sure of some basic things like "are they basically going to be annuals" and the like.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah, starting about now is why I'm asking; I wanted to get seeds and stuff ordered next week. ;)

Thanks for the tips - "totally lazy and clueless" sounds like the right level of education for where I'm at so far. I didn't want "you have to go build an outdoor greenhouse" to be the step 1 tip.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Welp, just put in an order at Puckerbutt... 10 different seed varieties, from Aleppo and an heirloom Jalapeno, a couple varieties each of Scotch Bonnet and Habaneros, and up to some 7 Pots, Scorpions and Reapers.

Hope I'm not getting too ambitious but I figure unless I get to building a greenhouse, all of this is cheap compared to racing.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

This afternoon's project. 12 different varieties planted. A lot of jalapenos of a couple different varieties plus two varieties of Scotch Bonnet, two of Habanero, Serranos, Aji Colorados, Aleppos, 7 Pot Browns, Chocolate Scorpions and because gently caress it, Carolina Reapers too.

I'm narrowing in on my first recipe, which is supermarket based but tasty - got the idea for Cutino's Chipotle but diverged significantly. Chipotle, pineapple, habaneros, all sorts of good stuff.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Nice! That sounds like a tasty combination.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Lacto pickling a couple pounds of habaneros for hot sauce experiments and hot a whiff of them... holy cow, that's a delicious funk. Explains a lot of the flavor notes Matouk's stuff has. Going to try to do a batch of my hot chipotle sauce with it this week, I think.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Secret Aardvark's one of my "always keep handy" sauces. I found out about it last year and have gone through 4-5 bottles since.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

What is it like being so wrong?

Though they're even better if you pickle them.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I mean, Secret Aardvark, but I just tend to think it's lovely.

Unrelated, just put 4 pounds of jalapenos into the smoker. Excited to see if this works!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

https://www.magicplantshop.com/pepper-mash/pepper-mash-pepper-puree-bulk/carolina-reaper-mash-puree-55-gallon-drum/

Hmmmm...

(this is influencing what I'm growing vs buying next year)

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Flaggy posted:

Holy poo poo.

Wholesale prices only, I want to know what that costs.

The 1 gallon buckets are like, $88.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Has anyone seen something about like... sort of a bunch of "core" styles of sauce? I'm just doing some thinking... like (very broadly) the Louisiana style ones are similar in concept, a lot of the Caribbean ones follow some basic ideas, Mexican ones likewise... just wondering if there's ever been though into sort of figuring out the fundamental sauce styles or if I'm crazy.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Just got some Exhorresco and Exitium from Burns & Mccoy due to their memorial day sale. The Exhorresco is drat good, but the Exitium is exactly my jam. Would recommend.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

My favorite recipe so far has fermented habs and applewood smoked jalapenos plus other stuff. Components are fermented not the whole thing; honestly I'm not sure jalapenos would ferment after smoking but might be worth a try some time. I literally just use a BBQ smoker.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Atticus_1354 posted:

The plan was to ferment the peppers and smoke the garlic seperate. I had the same concerns about fermenting after smoking. What's your recipe look like? I want to try all this with store bought stuff so I dont waste my garden haul in the spring.

I'd have to find my notebook for proportions, but it's all storebought. Smoked jalapenos, fermented habaneros, pineapple, garlic, key lime juice, vinegar, curry paste. Worked that recipe out before I had a garden, will probably be trying some other stuff now that I have more access to peppers.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Atticus_1354 posted:

Now I'm wondering about smoking the pineapples too. I'm going to have some tinkering to do. I will try to report back.

Sauteeing pineapples is good. Smoking them could be too, haven't tried it; may have to now. I just develop recipes based on the "but what if...?" and then chucking stuff in the blender until it tastes good, being careful to take notes. I'm not going to make money doing this stuff, but friends locally like it?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I was wondering how the Gringo Bandito is, being an Offspring fan. Been deep on a Karma sauce kick lately - that and Matouk's Scorpion sauce.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Calypso is beautiful too. I've just experimentally found that scorpion sauces are about my upper-fun-limit on heat which of course varies. Similar flavor profile between the two aside from pepper flavor differences.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Scorpions are weird for me, I can take reaper sauces and pepper x no problem but there’s a ton of scorpion sauces that ruin me. I think most of the pepper x/reaper ones go easy on the pepper and cut it down with other ingredients, and the scorpion ones tend to just go hog wild.

For me, 7 Pot sauces wreck me whether or not they're theoretically hotter than Scorpions or not. I have two different varieties of Last Dab handy, and I find them more pleasant than Exhorresco which is theoretically not as hot.

I should actually try more Reaper sauces; I've been hesitant. Also because Karma's Funken Hot Yellow is so goddamn good.

Jhet posted:

This thread was linked in the gardening thread, and I'm so very happy to have found it. Are there any good online hot sauce stores that aren't heatonist or amazon? I'm always looking to add more to my collection and I have a move coming up and I can't take all my homemade fermented sauces with me. Don't worry, I'm donating them to a good home.

https://heathotsauce.com/ is a pretty good one. https://www.dochotties.com/ too. I also tend to order directly from Karma Sauce.

Also <3 fermented sauces... I have a mason full of fermented habaneros I'm waiting for inspiration on.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Oh yeah, a lot of hot sauces go into the dumb "rear end" thing. Heat Hot Sauce provides a lot of ways to look for stuff - I'd try any of the ones on their front page for example.

I should grow Datils next year, I remember them as lovely. This year I've got Aleppos, Fatalliis, Yellow Morugas and 7 Pot Mustards growing. My favorite recipe so far is Applewood smoked Jalapeños and fermentation Habaneros for the peppers, which I can just get, but I want to branch out.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Matouks is good stuff.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Cynic answer - just make up a number it's probably what almost everyone else does.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I love Matouk's so much, my only regret is the last time I ordered it online, both bottles had the safety buttons popped up and sauce past the seal on the cap and into the threads. Uhhhh no.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I'm a big fan of Karma and Bravado; Karma does some stuff that's pretty out there that I love, while Bravado is ... like, less complicated but really well executed and more pepper-forward. Never had a bad one from either of those, but some of the 7 Pot Primo stuff from Karma hurts too much for me to enjoy. Aardvark is great but even more eclectic.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I know some people are tired of some people ranting about Secret Aardvark, but there's a trio of new sauces, Chipotle, Scorpion and Reaper. So if you thought the Habanero stuff was too spicy or not spicy enough there's alternatives. The Reaper one is definitely Reapers; Aardvark flavor profile has a lot of other stuff so it's not a showoff doom sauce, but it's delicious and noticeably spicier, and Chipotle is delicious and something my wife enjoys.

So, you know.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I order the Aardvark online because gently caress it. And hard same on 7 Pots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I have never had a bad sauce from Karma.