Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Bilbo Bellend posted:

YES!

I grow tons of hots and superhots (Ghosts, Carolina Reapers et al) and make a mash (http://www.pickl-it.com/410/3-way+pickled+peppers/) that I'll usually let sit for 3-6 months before adding distilled vinegar (I'm a purist for the fermented pepper flavors, and find that cider vinegar gives it too much of a "winey" taste), shaking, and butt-chugging. If you have a source for fresh peppies, this is the only way to fly.

I followed a recipe to make a fermented mash but I don't think it's working. The recipe called for red jalapenos, but I used habaneros instead. Otherwise I followed it exactly.

The recipe said after 1-2 days, the mason jar they're in would start fizzing and overflow, while the peppers will shrink. It's been almost a week and it hasn't done dick.

Anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
It's been fairly cool, like 60F. I should've mentioned the instructions are to loosely cap the jar so the water can fizz out.

The full process was: mash up 2lbs of peppers, stir in 1/4 cup pickling or sea salt (thinking back I just used Morton's), then let them sit out overnight, uncovered. Next day put in the jar and wait.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yes, that is the recipe I'm using! Thanks for the info. I have noticed a very small brown puddle on the paper towels, but I assumed it was from me opening the jar to see if I need to add more water. Definitely no visible fizzing, and I've needed to add maybe a total of 5mls water to the jar.

The peppers have not shrunk at all. I couldn't fit them all in the jar and have been waiting to add the extras (as instructed in the recipe), but there's still no room after 6 days. Hmmm. Maybe I'll give them another week or so. Should I put it in my windowsill or something?

I quite like the book, but this only the second recipe I've tried. The pico de gallo recipe on page 42 is quick and easy and delicious, I will vouch. I'm planning on trying the salsa verde on page 32 next :)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I've never seen pepper shrinkage either, but again I just roll with it. The peppers do get softer as they ferment so you can squeeze more in there if you want. I haven't tried doing that though, nor have I tried putting them in direct sunlight.

I was going to tell you to try other peppers besides red jalapenos but I see you're already doing that. I've done it with red fresno peppers and green jalapenos as well and it worked on both, the green jalapenos turned out particularly well. Gonna try some long hots next. Also, try the peanut sauce recipe near the back of that book!

Update! I gave the chiles 2 weeks to ferment, then added the vinegar and threw them in the food processor. I tried it afterward and...holy poo poo I did not expect it to be that salty. I mean, yeah, you add a lot of salt during the process, but the book said you could use it as a sauce right away and I don't see how.

However, I did make the peanut hot sauce you suggested. I'm not a huge fan of hoisin but the end product was quite tasty; the peanut did not clash with the heat like I thought it might. Making your own hot sauce is fun! :)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah I didn't type that very well, did I? It was the Morton's pickling salt.

C-Euro posted:

Also BONER since we're using the same technique I'll give you a tip I learned yesterday- the chloride compound in tap water is designed to not boil off, so if you have a Brita filter or other charcoal filter for water use the liquid out of that. Chloride doesn't play well with bacteria either.

Huh, that's good to know, thanks!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I've got an issue with adding peppers to my dishes. I keep adding them until the food is at the spiciness I want, but by that point the pepper flavor is predominant. This happened when I added some serranos to salsa, and thai peppers to a tomato sauce. I mean, I like the flavor of a pepper but I don't want it to override the rest of the dish, I want the spiciness. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, am I somehow impeding or damaging the spiciness? It usually takes significantly more peppers than I expect to give the food the heat I want. The pepper flavor seems to get stronger as the dish ages, when I ate some of the tomato sauce next day it was even more noticeable.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

wormil posted:

Are you leaving or removing the pith/seeds? Leave them in for more heat.

Yep, I'm leaving them in. I'm still working off the same batch of Thai peppers and have quite a few left. They've been frozen, if that matters. If I eat a raw Thai pepper, it has a distinct but not overpowering peppery taste, but hoo boy it is a little bit out of my comfort zone for heat. Which is a good thing!

I ended up adding about 40 Thai peppers to my tomato sauce (chopped into very small pieces) before the heat level was where I wanted it, but by then the pepper flavor overcame all the garlic, onions, oregano, etc in the sauce.

I wish I knew what was going on! It's like, when I eat the pepper raw, the spiciness is the dominant characteristic, but when I put it in a dish, the pepper flavor becomes dominant.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, that stuff sounds real intense. I'll give it a try! Thanks! :)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Khablam posted:

How would it not be dominant if there's loving 40 in a dish?
Use a hotter pepper instead of adding a whole plant.

Sure, I get that. But the question isn't so much "why did the pepper flavor override the entire dish" and more "why did the pepper flavor / heat ratio change", if that makes sense.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I guess today's National Hot Sauce Day, as I got an email from iBurn.com stating that they are having a 10% off sale for all hot sauces. No coupon codes necessary, valid until 1/23/18, 11:59 CST.

http://www.iburn.com/Hot-Sauce-s/1814.htm

Anyone have recommendations?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Haha, that's fair enough. I like a vinegary taste and a good deal of spiciness, like ghost pepper level or so.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

Picked up a bottle of locally made Trinidad Scorpion hot sauce today. It's really good.

I impulse bought their habanero sauce at a Fareway once, but it was way too garlicky for me. Like, totally unreasonably garlicky. Everyone else who tried it said it was good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I got a bottle of The Last Dab. It's got a predominant pepper taste but once you get past it, you notice the other flavors. Pretty tasty and it's a nice burn--fairly intense but not cruel. I wish it wasn't so thick, it's kind of a pain to get it out of that tiny bottle mouth. Tapping on the neck helps a lot. It tastes really good on baked potatoes!

Only real problem is if I eat too much of it, my stomach hurts afterwards :(