Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Human Tornada posted:

Best hot sauce for eggs is Habanero Tabasco. Second place is Valentina Black Label.
I'm surprised more people aren't on the Valentina/Valentina Black train. It's not that hot, as far as hot sauces go, but oh my god there's so much loving flavor there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Flaggy posted:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/hot-sauce-collection

Dude has 8000+ hot sauces in his collection. Anyone want to Ocean 11's some of that?

I'm in. Dibs on being the distraction.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

Valentina is almost thick enough
And a huge-rear end 34oz bottle of the black label costs like $5. Valentina's the best hot sauce :colbert:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Heatonist forgot to send me my Last Dab Redux pre-order, never refunded me, and the replacement they say they sent when I bugged customer service over and over never arrived. That might not be everyone's experience, but I'm soured on them as a company.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I reached out to Heatonist again about the Last Dab they never sent me back in fuckin' October, even though they never got back to me the five other times I tried. They responded, and I got a bottle of the Carolina Reaper variant of the sauce.

Y'all this is a drat tasty sauce. I've had plenty of extreme sauces that just taste like boiled rear end, but there's serious actual flavor in this and while it's not "war crime" hot it's still really, really hot - way hotter than I'd normally use outside of like, a dare, or whatever.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

pahuyuth posted:

What's your go to hot sauce when you want to add heat but not a lot of flavor? I have some medium salsa that I really like but it just isn't hot enough. All I have on hand are Louisiana and Cholula original both of which I use on pretty much anything else but they add too much sweetness to the salsa.

He;lp

Frostbite

http://www.pepperheads-hotsauces.com/shop/frostbite-clear/

It's not flavorless, but the flavor is miiiild. The heat's not amazing but it does the job good enough.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Human Tornada posted:

You're right, he's probably a naturally quiet or reserved guy who is forcing himself to be jocular and chummy and it's juuuust not quite working. Hey, I can certainly empathize.
This is like... pretty much everybody on First We Feast. Everyone on the team seems like they really do give a poo poo about food, they're just all kinda too low key to be themselves on camera. It used to annoy me but now I'm just like, gently caress it, hell yeah, a whole channel of awkward people hiding how unsure they feel about why they're as successful as they are but rolling with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

nwin posted:

That one was pretty good, but how do they coat the cauliflower?

In a few of them, it seemed like it just had a few drops of hot sauce on the breading, which makes sense because I can’t imagine trying to coat the wings like you would if you had frank’s.
I make this dish pretty drat regularly. You do a dual coat; it's less that you're breading the cauliflower and more that you're baking it in a batter. I use 50% hot sauce mixed with water in the batter, then after it's cooked, I toss through more hot sauce. If you didn't want to do a dual coat, you could just use the hot sauce as the liquid in your batter.

And it's not a wildly difficult batter; it's like, water, milk, hot sauce, flour, cumin, garlic, paprika, salt, mixed until kinda thick-ish, baked for about 20 minutes, taken out, drizzled with more hot sauce, put back in until done. My guess is Hot Ones probably cuts back on the other ingredients and sticks with just flour/water/milk/hotsauce/salt (or maybe even avoiding the milk) to get a more 'pure' version of the flavor, but I have no clue what they specifically do.