Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilbo Bellend
May 18, 2004

Comb Your Beard posted:

Is it cool to talk about making hot sauce in this thread?

I usually make hot sauce with formerly fresh frozen whole peppers (minus the stem and the core where it attaches obvi). Then whole garlic, salt, vinegar, blend, minimal filtering. Then I bottle it in old 12 oz Crystal hot sauce bottles thinned out a bit with a thinner commercial brand like Crystal or Goya.

Got some dried chile de árbols that are quite hot. Thinking split them lengthwise, destem, dump, rehydrate in white vinegar, then use them the same way I would the thawed ones, reserving vinegar for later. Good plan or nah?

Cholula uses árbols and that stuff is quality in my opinion.

YES!

I grow tons of hots and superhots (Ghosts, Carolina Reapers et al) and make a mash (http://www.pickl-it.com/410/3-way+pickled+peppers/) that I'll usually let sit for 3-6 months before adding distilled vinegar (I'm a purist for the fermented pepper flavors, and find that cider vinegar gives it too much of a "winey" taste), shaking, and butt-chugging. If you have a source for fresh peppies, this is the only way to fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU