Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
As a teacher, I never thought to grow peppers for classroom plants... That's an awesome idea.

Why is it that every habanero sauce I try has a burned taste to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Had a student bring me some real salsa verde today. So good and it's got a nice kick to it. I can smell jalapenos and cilantro and I'm pretty sure it has some serranos in it too. And tomatillos, of course.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Jmcrofts posted:

I had the ghost pepper griller or whatever it's called. It was hotter than anything else I've had at taco bell but not that hot considering it has "ghost pepper" in the name.

That was my experience, too. It's spicy, but not ghost pepper hot.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

xergm posted:

Eat more hot sauce until it knows who's boss.

The only time I've ever had a problem with that is when I eat something at my heat limit. The burning butthole is actually the relieving part, just wait until you eat something hot enough that your whole intestinal tract hates you. You can actually feel it work it's way through.

I felt that with some hot chicken I ate a while back. So good, but so much heat. I felt it the entire night. It's nice knowing your limit.

On the other hand, I never felt so alive

E: just bought a giant bottle of Valentina for 2 bucks

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 1, 2015

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Just picked up some ghost pepper salsa from a local farm, Jones Orchard if you're in West TN, and it's pretty good. Has a nice kick to it, but it's not too extreme. It doesn't feel too hot, but still gives a nice rush.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

BraveUlysses posted:

This poo poo fuckinnnnn OWNS

I bought a bottle of their hot level. It isn't hot at all, unfortunately. It is pretty tasty on leftover turkey, though.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

But Not Tonight posted:

Should've gone with the extra hot. Not insanely spicy but it has a pleasant piquancy and heat to it.

I couldn't find any. They had something like a mild, the hot, and then a garlic-y one. It's not a bad sauce, really, just kind of different than what I'm used to.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

CommonShore posted:

I like that valentina stuff either way, hot or not. I sometimes use it instead of salsa for dipping corn chips.

This. It's a giant bottle for 2 bucks. I like it and it's got a good flavor. No heat, but it's still tasty on chips or in eggs.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I wanted something hot, so I got some Dave's Ghost Pepper sauce. It's definitely hot but doesn't taste good. Any ideas for improving the taste?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

snyprmag posted:

Crystal is the best with southern food, especially fried chicken catfish.

Louisiana and Crystal are both just standard good sauces. Not the best nor the hottest, but just good.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Okay, as someone that enjoys Nashville Hot Chicken and lives in Nashville, I'll share what little I know. Like BBQ rubs no one shares their recipe.

This is a pretty close idea of the process:
http://m.nashvillescene.com/bites/archives/2008/07/31/bites-exclusive-winning-hot-chicken-recipe

Typically it's a spice blend of some really hot poo poo, not just cayenne.

Also, it's not greasy, so I don't know if they fry it again or if the crust absorbs the lard some. It ends up more like a dry rub.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I know it isn't hot sauce, but anyone have recommendations for hot mustard?

I'd like to find some good Asian style as well as a more German(?) style. I guess that's the way to describe it. I like Chinese hot mustard and the sort of spicy brown mustard you would put on a hot dog or bratwurst. I don't think those are the same thing though; maybe they are.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Jmcrofts posted:

Try Chipotle Tabasco. Even if you hate regular Tabasco (like I do) the Chipotle version has great smoke flavor and just the right amount of heat.

So does the smoked jalapeņo version. I don't like regular Tabasco I guess because of the fermented-y taste it has.

Also, El Yucateco (green) isn't as hot as it seemed to be in the past. I had some tonight (fresh bottle, even, since the one on the table was empty), and it barely seemed hot.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Pickapeppa is delicious. Got a bottle of it and Dave's Ghost pepper sauce and both are good. Pickapeppa is so very good. No heat, but still good.

E: Used Dave's to boost the heat of a generic buffalo sauce I bought and made quesadillas. Easily best decision I've made in a while.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 10, 2016

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Jose posted:

there are a few which hit that description here which am i after?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...id=CR3O7E63HAAS

This one is the one I mentioned earlier.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I will try it. I picked up some generic Asian mustard from an international market. I grabbed two different brands, but they are about the same flavor wise. A little heat, but mostly sweet.

They did have cheap sambal, though.

I was gifted some "zombie" hot sauces I've yet to try because they look so gimmicky.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
My parents had a bottle of Tabasco sauce at their house, and it lacked the fermented taste I hate and it seemed spicier than I remember. The bottle was probably old, so maybe that had something to do with it?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I am thinking of doing peppers in containers on my deck this season (we rent so I can't have a proper garden like I want). Where do you get your seeds? I'd really like to grow some habaneros, ghosts, and maybe some Trinidad scorpions.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
It's great but not worth paying that much, jeez.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I bought some Captain Rodney's Corazon del Fuego Hot Sauce tonight thinking it'd be spicy since it has scotch bonnets in it.... And it really wasn't. Granted, they're about fourth on the list after some sweeteners and vinegar. Still, I figured it'd have a little heat to it anyway. I got nothing really. Tapatio has more heat.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Just got a bottle of Secret Aardvark Drunken Jerk sauce in the mail. This stuff is great, I can't wait to put it on everything.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I plan to put it on some pork carnitas I made yesterday. :3:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I bought Secret Aardvark Habanero hot sauce thinking it was a marinade (even though it clearly says hot sauce). It says it can be used as a marinade, has anyone ever tried it?

Going to try it on a pork tenderloin. Thinking I'll just coat the loin and let it marinate for about four hours then grill it. Planning to do the same with the Jamaican jerk sauce/marinade too.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
It is delicious. I won't use all of it for marinade, that's for sure. I'll be grilling it tomorrow, so I'll share the results.

E: Used about 2/3 the bottle to marinate one tenderloin. Used the Jerk marinade to do the other tenderloin. They should be ready to grill in a few more hours!

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 18, 2017

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Here goes. Jerk on the right, hab on the left.

E: Turned out pretty good. The habanero was good, but definitely not a marinade and I wouldn't do it again. I don't feel like it was a waste, but it could be better. The Jerk was great and I'll make it again for sure.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 18, 2017

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Got a bottle of Bravado Spice Co Ghost Pepper and Blueberry hot sauce for my birthday. Can't wait to try it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

uber_stoat posted:

I've had their jalapeno and green apple flavor. pretty good. be careful when pouring it, the bottle doesn't have a dasher top, or at least mine didn't, and when I first opened it I poured like 1/3 of the bottle on the plate because I assumed it would just dribble out.

Thank you for the warning on this. It's super liquidy and without the dropper I definitely would have dumped out half the bottle.

It's a very good sauce; not as hot as I thought it'd be, and it is dry the same way red wine is dry. I really like it a lot and I'm glad I got this as a gift.

Doom Rooster posted:

Marie Sharp's sauces are all amazing. This one is the most "pure habanero flavor" one that I have tried.

Going to second this brand. I bough a bottle of the "Fiery Hot Habanero Sauce" at the store a few nights back, and it's really good. Has a nice heat to it, which it should as habaneros are the first ingredient. It is vinegar-based, so it's like a chunky habanero Louisiana in a way.

Secret Aardvark Habanero Hot sauce is also good; it's got a decent flavor and heat level to it, but not overwhelmingly so.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Sounds good! Not a fan of the extract taste so that one sounds palatable at least.

The only time I've ever put myself in gastrointestinal distress was with extracts though. I can eat fresh peppers with little to no issue and I have a ton of dehydrated habenero flakes that I put on just about everything.

Had some Nashville hot chicken a while back and got the hottest heat level and I could tell it was just a few drops of an extract on the chicken. I woke up at like 3 in the morning feeling like I swallowed molten lead while sweating profusely.

I guess the moral of the story is that if you're using extracts, make sure you're the one applying it and that you know how much is being added. Overdoing that stuff is a recipe for puking a fireball in the middle of the night.

Whose hot chicken? I have a suspicion about a couple of places here in Nashville that use extracts instead of peppers.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

It was pepperfire. Only reason I suspect they had extract is because they look entirely identical to the "hot" except they are slightly more bitter and it had no extra pepper flavor, just heat. Felt like my mouth and lips were sunburned lol.

:supaburn:

I was afraid of that. I like them a lot because the heat levels are so consistent, but I've also not eaten their hottest.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
My new favorite thing is adding a drop or two of Mad Dog 357 to a quart of hot and sour soup. Makes it nice and spicy, but not overpowering.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Those are good, so is Secret Aardvark's.

Melinda's is a pretty close sub for Crystal. It's chunkier but similar to me.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
We are iced in, but in desperate need of necessities, so I went to the Hispanic grocery store right by my house. Surprisingly (not) they had a large variety of hot sauce, so I snagged a few I'd not had before:

The El Yucateco and Valentina are ones I've had before, just took the opportunity to restock. The others are new. Really looking forward to the No Wimps Allowed.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Enjoy your Cholula, those are quality.

I like them. The chili garlic reminds me of PeriPeri, and the Chipotle is awesome in the chili I just made. The Marie Sharp's I like better than the comatose level version of their sauce. Same heat level but the extract flavor (at least, that's what I think I taste in the back of my throat) is less.

At least, those are my impressions based on tasting off a spoon. I also mainlined some Da Bomb to see if that throat feeling/taste was the extract. It was.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
That looks delicious. The tienda near me has tomatillos, so I thinking of making some salsa verde here soon.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Louisiana is the best general purpose hot sauce.

Hot Ones pissed me off. Every time I tried to order their chipotle sauce it was out of stock and now they've up and decided to quit making it. Bullshit imo.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I use Aardvark's jerk sauce as a marinade, it's too salty for me to use as a sauce. The habanero I just use as a sauce on whatever.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah I like hot pepper jam on top of cream cheese on top of a Ritz cracker. I usually just make each cracker a la cart, I'd be too tempted to eat an entire block of cream cheese otherwise.

Pepper jam/jelly + cream cheese is a thing my wife's family does, too. It's a good party food.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
No one mentioned Louisiana or Crystal on eggs? That's a staple in the South.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I had a similar event happen after eating some "shut the cluck up" level Nashville hot chicken. It clearly had a bunch of extract and wasn't too bad going down but later that night I woke up at around the same time with magma/battery-acid wanting to come out both ends.

I never order gimmicky hot stuff anymore. The "hot" level is plenty spicy.

I had the same experience with that same chicken. It's not got a good flavor, very heavy on the extract. I'd rather have some with actual peppers and flavor, even if it's a reaper or something else super hot, over extracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Marie Sharps Green Habanero Sauce is now in my top five, I think. Valentina Black is great. The regular habanero sauces from MS are great, I like their 'bite', but this green hab sauce is just stellar.