Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Hellfire First Blood is thick, but not like Sriracha. Despite the edgelord name and very high heat, I was super happy with the flavor of it. Small number of ingredients, not that vinegary, really showcases the peppers with just a hint of cumin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I bought the Bravado Crimson Special Reserve. It's alright, but there's a lot of vinegar so it is very watery and with the large opening you could easily add a fourth of the bottle to something by accident. It does not feel as good value as something like Hellfire First Blood. If it came in a dropper bottle like Tabasco it would make for a good replacement.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

How Wonderful! posted:

I'll probably quite happily use up the rest of the bottle, I just don't know if I'll order another. Very very solid, just not a showstopper.

yepyepyep

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

kazr posted:

The seeds and the white part of peppers contain the majority of capsaicin. The flavor is a a little more bitter but if you're looking for heat don't remove it

The seeds don't produce (or hold) any capsaicin. It's in the white bits, the membrane, and to a much lesser extent, the flesh.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
So, I think the original Marie Sharp hot sauce is pretty good. It's fruity, has a good sweet-sour balance and just enough habanero heat to make it interesting while not keeping you coming back for more.

I am also a big fan of smoked hot sauces. I think the Chipotle Tabasco is pretty great for both tacos and wings, even if it is a bit sweet. So, I decided to try the Smoked Habanero from Marie Sharp and it's just too weird. The smoke is a straight up campfire like smoke, I am pretty sure I read something about the source being kind of unique, but yeah, very different from most culinary smoke flavors I have encountered. It's also not integrated in the sauce at all. This feels like eating liquid smoke with a bit of heat coming in at the end. It's not horribly bitter or anything, but I cannot really recommend it.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 19, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I wanna do a habanero and carrot sauce. Do I adds fresh carrot after fermenting the pepper mash or do I ferment the carrots as well, possibly together with the peppers?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I ferment saurkraut, kimchi, and sour beer for 1+ years no problem.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Do you pastureize?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Do you wanna share a recipe for one of the fermented ones? They look nice.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I am moving in a month, and it's the first time in a while I will have an outdoor space for growing poo poo. Maybe I will stay growing American super chilies again, it's the only hot pepper I had much luck growing in this part of the world.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Tried this Midsummer Flagship sauce from Stavanger, Norway. It's interesting that it's made with habaneros grown here (inside, I assume). It's very expensive, but the presentation is nice. The sauce itself is very pineapple forward, quite thin in consistency. Tasty, but not hot at all.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Do people have good suggestions for smoked chili sauces or chili sauces made with smoked peppers? I love chipotle sauces, but it's hard to find ones that are not too sweet or taste like a cuminy blended taco. I love the Chipotle Tabasco, something like that with more heat would be great.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
A friend convinced me to buy a strawberry hot sauce from some podunk town in England. It also has garlic and spices in it and comes in a glass monkey skull. It is awful.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Kaddish posted:

https://freakshowfoods.bigcartel.com/

I like this one a lot but it’s fruity rather than chipotle.

I tried Marie Sharps smoked habanero and it was really disappointing. Tasted like they added liquid smoke. The only Marie Sharps I’ve disliked.

Yeah, I also tried that Marie sharp one and it was disgusting. Will check our your recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Marie Sharp's habanero pepper sauce is an excellent sauce. Not too vinegary, but got some extra zing from the lime, good sweetness and a little body from the carrots, and lots of great habanero flavor without being too spicy.

If you want something just a bit rounder Marie Sharp's Belizean Heat adds some tomato and a touch of cumin to that recipe. The difference is pretty subtle.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 30, 2022