Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Dumb question, but do hot sauces have to be refrigerated, or can they safely sit unsealed on a pantry shelf? Do they spoil, or does the vinegar content keep that from happening?

I have a couple of 1 - 3 month old bottles that I want to use but I'm not too sure about...

edit: Also, I want to try my hand at making my own hot sauce! Is there a recommended starter recipe, or should I just dive into making NosmoKing's recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Ended up trying the following. It was... okay. Not much of an initial kick, but it's there in the aftertaste.

2 habaneros
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup white onion
4 oz serrano peppers
4 oz diced tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1 cup water

simmered for 20 minutes, then put all ingredients in a blender along with 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp brown sugar.

First taste of it was way too much like the apple cider vinegar. After it was refrigerated it tasted more peppery. Would probably go good on pork. Next time I'll probably use white vinegar instead, and add more habaneros.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 13, 2015