Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'm on week one of fermenting some garden grown jalapenos, 10 Trinidad scorpions and a few habeneros with star anise, half cinnamon stick, caramon pods, fennel, garlic, scalinons etc
I wonder what I should finish it with I'm gonna try for 2 weeks. I was thinking carrots or mango but they'll be too ripe by the time its fermented..

Sorry I spelled words wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Excellent advice! I also bought some xanthan gum just in case I needed it.

I was able to buy everything from a farmers co-op market so like I bought micro amounts of just what I needed, for instance I weighed 10 grams of salt out.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

My fermented hot sauce was still active months later and when I shook it it exploded in my face, thankfully I was wearing glasses!

I took it home from work because it's safety hazard and I'll be damned if it didn't explode again when I was trying to be careful.

I've since cut it with the last of my Marie sharps hottest grade habanero and a thimble or 2 of apple cider vinegar.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Trader Joe's standard habanero has more heat than Marie sharp's hottest habanero sadly and I think there are 3-4 levels.

Marie sharp's has better flavor though, so I mix them.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Dumb questions:

•How do I know when the peppers have fermented long enough?

•When I blend them, do I drain off the brine?
Pour the brine into an ice cube tray to kick up a 2-4 person meal a notch at a later time...

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

There was a GBS chicken wing thread that was actually good recently, that I can't seem to find.

It was alluded to in the slow smoking meats thread.

It would answer a lot of the last page or two's questions.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Just as easy as a tincture make some pepper tequila. The longer it soaks the spicier it gets.

I remember adding cardamom pods and star anise to my Trinidad scorpion ferment, and finished with carrot.

Some say shallots give a better onion flavor than onion in one as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I got 3 bottles from gifted peppers this year.
I'm a fan and convert of the vacuum seal food saver bag method.

I was lazy and didn't add my normal 10 "secret hobo spices" because I lost my recipe.

It tastes a bit metallic from the amount of reapers but fermenting them with like 8 other kinds of peppers mellowed it to a decent heat.