Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, the point of Theon failing to decapitate cleanly was less to imply physical weakness, more to imply lack of skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not an expert on this by any margin, but intuitively, I'd guess the emotional impact of seeing a character you like die can be a net boost. Sure, you'll lose some, but GoT isn't the kind of show people watch because they dream of marrying Peter Dinklage or Kit Harrington (even though certainly many watchers find either of them very attractive). I think what gets people back to watching GoT is caring for what happens to the characters, and keeping the stakes high will probably help more than it hurts.

Unless you only care about the loss in viewers, not the net loss.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Pablo got cast as one of the leads in Neflix's new drug war series so that's good :unsmith:
I want to see him in space, or swashbucklin' it up elsewhere. He could do an awesome Han Solo-like character.

Preferably in something PG-13 so we're absolutely sure he won't have a death like that again :(

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: In retrospect the really long tracking shot of the aftermath was more than a cool shot too. After watching reaction videos I bet they figured (rightly) people would, quite often, turn away and close their eyes during the kill it got so horrible.. they wanted to make sure when you opened them, you still got a good look.
This is exactly what happened when I was watching the episode with a friend. I was on point to tell her the next screen would probably be a viking without skin, but missed the long take of Oberyn's brains.
I too could have done without that, actually. Oberyn's head looked awfully like rubber, but it still made the point quite well.

My girlfriend won't watch the show with me ever since season 1 Mountain (whatever happened to season 2 Mountain by the way?) killed that horse.

• Locked thread