Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

SylvainMustach posted:

In preparation for tonight's impact, here's a photoshop that TNA's site has so graciously given us. It's kinda creepy.

What the heck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
When did Ryback stop going to the gym?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
EDIT: Whoops, forgot Impact was actually on

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

joshtothemaxx posted:

Spike is on basically every company's basic cable lineup. It's in almost every home in America, but it basically just shows poo poo like Cops and lovely mma most of the time.

Here in Canada it's now on a higher tier package that a lot, maybe most, people don't have. It used to be on the one tier above basic but now it's packaged with some other junk.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Suben posted:

TNA Faithful. :geno:

You have made my day.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Up until like 2000 Spike was called The Nashville Network. As in Nashville, Tennessee. It was country music videos, episodes of The Dukes of Hazard and monster trucks. Then they got the rights to WWF, turned into The National Network for a couple years where they showed shows that would be popular to the non heyseed/cowpoke population. And then became Spike, which is only for men (no bitches allowed).

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Still the best show to ever air on any iteration of TNN/Spike:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqu0lT27DfA

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Thats a strange way of saying MXC

Suben posted:

TNA Faithful. :geno:

This is the best

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I remember when they had a good chunk of the NASCAR schedule before the big money poured into the sport in the '90s.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Spike should replace TNA with a real sport like Slam Ball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Or5RCy0J4

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

bartok posted:

Spike should replace TNA with a real sport like Slam Ball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Or5RCy0J4

And RollerJam. Even though that was TNN.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Bryan Alvarez is having a hell of a time watching Impact so hopefully the show he records is fun.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The more I see them, the more I feel that the Bro-Mans and Zema Ion should be plopped into NXT when this rinky, dink craphole closes down. They know how to play annoying douchebag heels.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Testekill posted:

The more I see them, the more I feel that the Bro-Mans and Zema Ion should be plopped into NXT when this rinky, dink craphole closes down. They know how to play annoying douchebag heels.

Throw in Ryder, Enzo and Big Cass and we got ourselves quite the stable.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I was watching tonight and finding myself thinking that Jessie Godderz of all people might have a higher ceiling than TNA. For not having had a lot of training that I know of, he's not that bad.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Xerzes posted:

I was watching tonight and finding myself thinking that Jessie Godderz of all people might have a higher ceiling than TNA. For not having had a lot of training that I know of, he's not that bad.

He has improved a lot more than I'd expect from a guy who was hired based on his tenure on one of the worst seasons of Big Brother ever (which is really saying something) but is still pretty far from good. Looks alone would probably get him a chance or two if he ended up in NXT though.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Jessie Godderz understands perfectly what makes a great heel. He acts obnoxious and then goes all-out when it's time for him to look like a fool and get his rear end handed to him. He's wonderful.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Great White Hope posted:

Jessie Godderz understands perfectly what makes a great heel.

No he's just an incredibly massive douchebag in real life.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Great White Hope posted:

Jessie Godderz understands perfectly what makes a great heel. He acts obnoxious and then goes all-out when it's time for him to look like a fool and get his rear end handed to him. He's wonderful.

cosigned

He's not great in the ring but pretty much sense the moment he debuted he's been game for eating poo poo and looking stupid when the moment calls for it

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

No he's just an incredibly massive douchebag in real life.

One of the most beloved figures in professional wrestling is Shawn Michaels.

If being a massive douchebag in real life is what it takes to be a great on-screen heel, then so be it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Is the stable of black authority heels really going by the acronym MLK? Is this something that's actually happening?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Deadpool posted:

Is the stable of black authority heels really going by the acronym MLK? Is this something that's actually happening?

I actually have no idea, but the three members are MVP, Lashley, and King, so....

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Deadpool posted:

It is TNA so I guessing yes.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Joe is taking an independent date for the first time in years, so I'm guessing he's next out the door

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

Joe is taking an independent date for the first time in years, so I'm guessing he's next out the door

I would do horrible things to see Steen vs Joe in today's ROH.

They worked each other before when Joe was ROH champ and Steen was starting to break out from the Quebec indies. But Steen has pretty much become world-class since then.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 6, 2014

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I like all three of the Bromans; since they're sports entertainer-type guys with good looks and they don't have a lot of miles on them they have to be around the top of the list for NXT signings from the TNA roster. The problem is that WWE has a good record of killing their comedy acts with the "THIS IS SO ZANY" commentary as well as having them do the same exact thing every week.

I can see Zema Ion randomly going on to have a great career for some reason. Must be the hair.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Deadpool posted:

It's like the opposite of Vince's love for MLK.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Gaz-L posted:

It's like the opposite of Vince's love for MLK.

MLK was also a Jr with a dream.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRegQZ4dgKg

cross post from the ROH thread

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

I was just about to post this. I'm so glad both of them are going to a company that allows them to spend the autumn of their careers with a bit of dignity.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I'm watching last nights edition of Impact and it's just terrible from a production stand point. I'm 15 minutes in, and the opening segment was like in fast forward.

MVP and crew interrupt Joe, announce the career threatening match. Within 10 seconds of that announcement, they cut to Bram and Magnus in the middle of a conversation. No moment to absorb the blow of what should be a huge announcement. It was TO THE BACK! as quickly as possible. Magnus was acting like a conflicted baby face.

Now, Bram vs Willow.

Good god. Willow does a move and it's REPLAY REPLAY REPLAY replay and then the next spots for like 5 minutes.

Then Magnus comes out and beats up Willow for a DQ.

And in the middle of the beat down, TO THR BACK! MVP is talking to the wolves. I was typing this sentence after MVP announced Edwards vs Richards and it cut to Anderson walking around backstage like a goofball. TO THE RING. The bell barely rings and king is on the stage.

All of this happens so fast, it feels like nothing matters so who loving cares. I'm turning this off.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Did you have ads cutting in to give you the absorption time?

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 6, 2014

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

hahaha, That's how you mock your former employer without burning up a bridge.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

that is beautiful.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

993,000 viewers

Thanks to the NBA finals, that's the lowest viewership since Thanksgiving

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vertical Lime posted:

993,000 viewers

Thanks to the NBA finals, that's the lowest viewership since Thanksgiving

Next week it'll be 992,998 thanks to old no Impact Alvarez.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

this is the best TNA monthly thread of all time

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Bryan signing off from reviewing TNA:

quote:

From todays Figure 4 Weekly
"Fare thee well for the time being, Impact
by Bryan Alvarez
I was thinking about this, and I don't believe that in the 19 years I've been writing this newsletter I have ever boycotted a television program because it sucked so goddamned bad. That changed this week.

After all these years, TNA Impact finally broke me. The show on Thursday night was up there with the worst pro-wrestling programs I've ever seen in my life. It might have been the worst. Maybe, top-to-bottom, objectively there has a worse show historically. But no show ever caused me to command a one-month (at the moment) boycott before, so I think the evidence is in that this was the worst pro-wrestling show I've ever seen.

I don't care if this is "my job," or if people want me to watch it and suffer through it so that they don't have to. I don't care. At the end of the day, while it is my job, it's also my company, so I can make my own decisions, and my decision is that I am not watching Impact for at least one full month.

I had considered watching the PPV next Sunday since a PPV is more important than television, but come on now. No one is buying this PPV, and the idea that I'm going to have to pay $34.95 for it is reason enough to skip it. I'll be 39 years old when that show airs. I don't need this in my life. There is plenty of actual pro-wrestling to watch.
The more I think about it, the less guilty I feel about not watching this product. Even if one were to argue that this is "my job," technically my job is to watch all the major pro-wrestling shows on US television, and you know what? At this point it is tough for me to classify Impact as a pro-wrestling television show. I don't know what the hell it even is. It's a variety show that features people fighting, only part of which actually takes place in a pro-wrestling ring, and none of which anyone could possibly care about because the majority of the characters are so completely unlikeable, and the **** they do makes no sense.

I read an article on why it's tough for the people writing Impact. It was written by Vince Russo. Yeah. So, as one would expect, it was filled with 9 million bull**** excuses. I liked the one about how the building at Universal Studios is not a good building for wrestling because so many tourists show up. I was unaware that pro-wrestling fans were restricted from attending. That's like saying the crowd at Full Sail University for NXT sucks because only college kids go. Except it appears plenty of wrestling fans manage to attend at Full Sail, plus the NXT crowds almost never suck. It is ironic, because Russo claimed that the crowd sucked because sometimes Impact had to tape one and a half shows per taping. Last time I checked NXT taped four shows per taping. They seem to be doing all right. Come to think of it, they're doing great.
Russo claimed it was tough because you had to balance everything out to make sure people weren't involved in too many segments on a particular show. I nearly pissed my pants reading that. I saw EIGHT STRAIGHT SEGMENTS involving talking on Thursday night. EIGHT. You can read Vinny's review, but I think I saw MVP in at least five different segments on one show. Maybe ten. I lost track.

Russo had his usual litany of excuses. At the end of the day, it all boils down to this: the show sucks. Everything about it sucks, with the exception of some talented people who actually try to have good matches. There is zero understanding of what pro-wrestling is or why people—live or on television—would want to watch the show. They have no idea how to build interest in any of the matches or feuds, they have no idea how to pace a show, they have no idea how to make characters likeable or dislikeable. Russo ranted about fact vs. opinion. This is not opinion. This is fact. The quarter-hour ratings plunging throughout the show is an embarrassment. The buyrates are an embarrassment even compared to THEIR OWN BUYRATES several years ago, and they are ONE-TENTH what they were getting during their peak (60,000 for two Joe vs. Angle matches). Their house show attendance is an embarrassment. This is not fact vs. opinion. What they're presenting is not what people want to see. And don't even get me into the MVP vs. Dixie Carter storyline. I'm pretty sure this is the only storyline I've ever seen in my entire life where there is no way more than one single solitary person (Dixie Carter) could possible care about it. To think this worst Impact ever went off the air with the tease that the Dixie vs. MVP war was going to escalate. Who gives a ****? As a viewer, I hate them both. Two heel factions, two completely unlikeable groups of people, WHO LARGELY DO NOTHING BUT TALK TO EACH OTHER INCESSANTLY ABOUT **** NOBODY CARES ABOUT, are going to war, and I'm supposed to care. LOL.

I have better things to do. You should too. It's summertime. Enjoy the cool Thursday night air. Read a good book. Chat with your loved ones, enjoy a light meal. But don't watch this show. "

http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/27igc6/tna_impact_wrestling_finally_broke_bryan_alvarez/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I don't know why Dave puts up with Bryan. He could do the site with Mike and lose very little subscribers.

• Locked thread