Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
From what I've seen, mil marriages can do OK if you:

- met her when she was past the 'formative years' that used to mean 'not a teen' but now reaches to like 26
- met her in a way that had absolutely loving nothing to do with the mil or anyone within three degrees of separation of any other DOD employee
- keep her completely and totally separate from everything and anything mil, including the base, PX, medical, and absolutely any and all social functions. Like you're a regular husband with an odd schedule and poor corporate choice in dress code.

Violate any of those and she immediately gains 300 pounds, destroys your credit cards and stocks your front porch with Tide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
You'd think getting married would be punishment enough, but then they go and have 3 or 4 kids. Congrats, now your wife is fat and bitchy, and you don't get to sleep ever again.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
The worst is having a chief who despises his home life/family and thus stays at work purely because of that fact.....navy leadership isn't childish at all no sir!!

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I joined the Navy when I was 18. My wife and I married when I was 25 and she was 27. It's our 6th anniversary today. We have an awesome (almost) 4 year old. We all have an awesome time, all the time. Marriage rules. Just don't marry a lovely person and you won't have a ton of problems. The things Snowdens Secret mentioned do apply in my case. She hates FRGs, spouse outreach anything, hates going to the NEX (overpriced) and Commissary (lovely food). Having to go to medical sucks too, because some of the civilians are absolute wastes of space, and a lot of the corpsmen are doofy motherfuckers. We stay the hell away from pretty much anything Navy.

Edit: Readability

DustyNuts fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 28, 2014

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Angry Fish posted:

I keep hearing about unhappy marriages ITT, but let's not forget those of us who have married our best friends. :)

The wife and I are incredibly happy together, and we make one another happy. She works hard at her E.E. job, and I work hardly at all at 9502'ing up et "a."

3 years and counting. The dependapotamus is not the normal relationship in the navy, from my experiences.

9502 x 3 years = no deployments. Keep telling yourself you're different.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

buttplug posted:

poo poo like this is exactly why I'm still single.

Lol

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Wife and I joke about the dependas in mil housing all day long. No kids for us.

I followed the rules

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Angry Fish posted:

I work hardly at all at 9502'ing up et "a."

You should pm me and tell me who you are. I'm at fc a.

Unless you're Phil and this is your parachute account, then I don't want to know.

You said med board earlier, wife with an ee job and how you've been there for almost three years so I'm pretty sure this is just Phil mk 2.

If that's the case your marriage works because you married a mail order bride.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

poopkitty fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 30, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:wtc:

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Sorry, I'll give her a counseling sheet tomorrow at work.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Well thats one way to get on my ignore list.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Why are there horses dressed up as Marines in the Navy thread? Nasty poo poo...

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
Somebody go move it to the Marine's thread.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
http://teespring.com/bamfsailor

posted to facebook by a guy who sits at a desk all day

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Fart Sandwiches posted:

http://teespring.com/bamfsailor

posted to facebook by a guy who sits at a desk all day

elite ntcss operator

practically a seal

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
thank you for our service

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
All I see on the Shellback and FC groups are people trying to get other people to buy their lovely Teespring shirts, and of course with the mentality that makes up those groups, most of those loving awful shirts get sold.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

All I see on the Shellback and FC groups are people trying to get other people to buy their lovely Teespring shirts, and of course with the mentality that makes up those groups, most of those loving awful shirts get sold.

Well how do you expect me to fake my sea time without a shirt?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Welp, in Hawaii for a few weeks for Rimpac. Open to suggestions for the Pearl/Honolulu area. I already met my goal of "get an enormous plate of horribly delicious food" in the form of a Loco Moco.

Apparently there's an off-limits establishment called "Sexopolis". So now my plans are pretty much shot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Depends on what you're really looking for. I lived there for 3 years. Boon lived there for quite a while, as well.

Go to north shore to see some waves. Also go to giovanni's shrimp truck and ted's bakery while you're up there.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
^^^
Listen to this man about the shrimp truck and bakery - they're great.

Should be the perfect time of year to go free-diving/snorkeling at Shark's Cove - there are a ton of lava tubes up there just to the north of the cove that you can dive down into and swim around and explore. Some will lead you into the middle of the bluffs.

Get some chocolate chip pancakes with coconut syrup.

Nightlife? gently caress Waikiki, Chinatown was always more fun and had my favorite Chinese restaurant - Little Village Noodle House on Smith Street. Murphy's had some great Irish/American food and is on Merchant Street.

Go hike the valley floor trail in Palolo Valley (follows a creek up into the mountain, up and over three waterfalls and ends in a giant crater where you can continue to hike the ridgeline which will overlook the north part of the eastern island or turn around). Palolo Valley is east of Manoa valley, all north of Honolulu proper.

Grouplove is playing there on the 21st if you're still there. Go see them, they're a lot of fun.

Go get tumbled in the waves at Sandy Beach just to the north of Hanauma Bay on the eastern end of the island. Don't think you're better than those waves though, that beach has the most broken necks per year than any other. Fun though.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 30, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boon says gently caress waikiki, but I don't. I'm partial, though, because I used to live down there.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Haha, yeah, I used to live just outside of Chinatown so I'm a bit partial as well. Seriously though Waikiki is a lot of fun, but it's more touristy.

What was that one bar down on the beach, Rumfire? That was always pretty sweet. Also, take a booze cruise while you're there.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 30, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boon posted:

Haha, yeah, I used to live just outside of Chinatown so I'm a bit partial as well. Seriously though Waikiki is a lot of fun, but it's more touristy.

My favorite places in Wakiki in no particular order are Irish Rose, Hideaway, King's Pub, and Arnolds. I know a lot of the staff still at these places. I miss it from time to time.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Snappers was my (terrible) go to because it was a Packer/Badger bar. I watched the Fail Mary at that place.

drat man, miss Hawaii.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 30, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boon posted:

Snappers was my go to because it was a Packer/Badger bar. I watched the Fail Mary at that place... there was much Jaeger consumed all around.

drat man, miss that place.

Snappers is amazing because of their deep friend cheese curds. There still have a mug or two hanging there with my name on it. I like Da Smokehouse as well, not so much because of the food, but once again because I'm friends with the staff and would hang out often.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
O'Toole's in Chinatown was my haunt. Irish rose when I didn't feel like walking as far.

Go to steak plate right on pearl harbor next to the hickam gate. Cash only but one of the best steak plates on island.

If you get overnight and want a cheap decent hotel the Mali Skycourt is great when the Hale Koa is booked up.

Senor frogs and Moose McGillicuddy were full of marines all the time.

maitai cruise is a great idea. Leaves from the outrigger area

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
Yard House is pretty good for a bar and grill. Half yard tall beers and something like 60 beers to choose from. Not that I am encouraging you to drink.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Seqenenra posted:

Not that I am encouraging you to drink.

That's a terrible thing to say. Just not Sailor like at all.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
My chief used to get in my poo poo about glorifying booze.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Seqenenra posted:

C-school dude used to do that, he'd make fun of people that drink and then on his 21st he got hammered, DUI, lost his orders to San Diego and is now in China Lake I think.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Seqenenra posted:

Without knowing your rate or that particular Chief, I'm just going to say he's a bad Chief. Straight up :chiefsay:

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
He was the chief that would yell at me for glorifying drinking, yell at the division for drinking on liberty and then come in at about 0600 from the Honch stinking like booze with red eyes and barely able to stand. :chiefsay:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Seqenenra posted:

He was the chief that would yell at me for glorifying drinking, yell at the division for drinking on liberty and then come in at about 0600 from the Honch stinking like booze with red eyes and barely able to stand. :chiefsay:

It always amazed me that there are people that think telling sailors not to drink when you pull into port was worth nything more than farting in the wind. My standard spiel was along the lines of "I know you're probably drink no matter what anyone says. What isn't ok is to not take care of each other and not coming back together." Amazingly, I never had to deal with any ARIs.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
We pulled into Port Canaveral (which was about the best port we ever saw, for what that tells you) one time during a particularly unpleasant underway, and I can't remember if it was the captain or the cob but one of those guys got on the 1MC before dropping liberty to give us a speech about how they didn't want to see us drinking ourselves blind and spending the night passed out in a ditch. IIRC we marched across the brow shouting "To the ditch!"

Getting a hotel room in a town like PCan when you're pulling in barely before dusk anyway is a non-happening event, we were lucky to have a duty van to shuttle guys around, so sleeping in the ditch was hardly a metaphoric event. I remember one guy came back from conking out on the beach, with half his face still covered with sticky sand, and the other half badly sunburnt.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Snowdens Secret posted:

We pulled into Port Canaveral.

You know a port calls going to be bad/good when the local tittie bar's marquee says "WELCOME USS ______" and all the girls are coming in on their day off.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

That's almost every port

Yes I will take my pitcher of rum and coke thank you

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yardhouse is overpriced yuppie poo poo, imo. Then again, I prefer places like King's Pug, Arnolds, and the Hideaway, so my tastes might be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
To be honest, I was there for the giant beers. There I go glorifying alcohol again.

• Locked thread