Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Howard Phillips posted:

Yeah, I'm just bitching cause I'm surrounded by nothing but Navy for most of my waking hours.

Are people able to maintain civilian friendships as you rack up years of service?

I have one friend, would have two but me and Christoff mostly just cuss at each other in video games. Everyone else is a civilian (mostly because all of my friends that I made during A and C school got kicked out for one reason or another).

599 days til I get out of this poo poo show, and it might get hosed up because there's going to probably be a transfer of some motto rear end 2nd class to my clinic that just picked up. I don't think my "We're not in the real Navy because dudes in a hospital promote off of cookie sales and car washes" spiel won't work on this one. What do I do, shipmates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Oh god, I remember my time on a barge in that one map on Call of Duty. Got a sick double tap.

What happens at a dry dock? Do you guys just keep doing poo poo as if you were at sea or is there a boring down time of just loving people over?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Boon posted:

Civilian friends? How?

He's probably one of those spice dealers that powerpoint was telling me about.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Booblord Zagats posted:

No dude, I mean to make an NFO, one of the arguably coolest jobs, dislike the Navy, means the Navy itself has some serious issues it needs to address. I'm not giving you the least amount of poo poo, I legitimately mean the Navy seems to really need to unfuck itself

For that you'd likely need someone to actually demonstrate what it is to be a leader that isn't just howling at someone to get something done or scratching enough backs to get looked at favourably. They'd have to take away all these precious NKOs that tell us how to live when it should just be second nature from training and mentorship. But no, let me complete the same GMTs and NKOs for the second or third time this year because different people want to wear the pants in the Navy family.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

There are plenty of cool fun jobs in the Navy and probably good number of cool good divisions with chill DIVOs and CPOs. The problem goes back to bootcamp. Remember the idiot who could not loving get a stencil right to save his life? Remember how you had to hold his dick just to keep him from pissing all over the place? Well you helped that idiot graduate, and every other division that went through bootcamp helped one of those idiots graduate. And now you have to cater Navy-wide to that LCD.

PS: in our division that kid was a corpsmen.

The dumbest motherfuckers I've ever encountered were corpsmen. Had one that recently picked up second look at me with a confused stare as the two rocks in his head tried to click a thought into existence when I told him I wasn't going to fill out a "buddy" card because I already have a card, looking back and forth between my card and the blank one he had in his hands wondering what to do. Whenever we stood duty he was absolutely clueless and I'm glad that it isn't life or death with our current watchbill. Thankfully most of the idiots that were with me in boot camp and HM school were kicked out for various reasons, some negligence in patient care and others just being idiots. I only hated boot camp because out of the 60 dudes in my division, 50 of us were corpsmen, and it was the same way with our brother division.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

itsrobbiej posted:

Put in for orders in April. Heard nothing and finally got my rear end set-up with CMS-ID. Status? Posted...at the end of April. So as far as I can tell, nothing else has been done. Guess I will have to get on it when the selection period opens back up.

Gonna get a sweet hot fill or what?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

As an E5 how bad of an idea is it to irresponsibly buy a new truck. My PRD is March and I could go to Hawaii so I won't buy a truck if that's the case, but if I end up at some place like Texas then I will NEED a truck to fit in.

BTW, the new truck would be a Raptor b/c I am a military stereotype.

It'll be totally cheaper if you just got the payments off with a credit card. Free money!

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

I don't know how anyone making any level of enlisted pay can afford a raptor

It's pre-approved! Special Military Financing! Even Admirals are approved!

There was a guy now that I remember. E-3 with a Raptor and a Harley. When one of the Chiefs caught wind of it, he got all excited about putting the kid up for Mast for poo poo, turns out he comes from a rich family and his parents pay for everything cash.

Analogical, that's hilarious. Make sure you show them a copy of the orders the office gave you before you left authorizing every dime.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 10, 2014

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

I'll be out by the time any of the new uniform poo poo is required (I hope).

This is what I'm praying for. I'll be damned if anyone is going to make me buy poo poo 2 months before I get out. I'll go to DRB again, gently caress it.

I have never worn my peacoat, wonder if it's super sweet. You can wear them with the NSUs and that's about it right?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Analogical posted:

"Shipmate; what were you thinking? You're out here cokin' and jokin' meanwhile we got sailors comin' home in pine boxes"

"CHIEF, I WAS POUNDIN' 40s IN THEIR HONOR, CHIEF!"

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Getting my psych tech cert to have a part time or something while I finish school, maybe moonlight and get some extra :10bux: on the side but drat am I glad I didn't pick some dead rate that would have me leaving with nothing but the GI bill. Then again, I'd be out by now.

Honestly, if you're looking at a job that pays 90k+ and you're just waiting to get out, you could be laughing every morning while you get ready because time's in your favor.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

Jesus. So when did all of the women in Boston become smoking hot? I must have missed the memo for the ugly girl purge here that happened since my last visit.

They probably shipped them all to Lemoore.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

buttplug posted:

This is not unique to the Navy...this is young people in general. As a general rule, fresh out of high school or college you won't have much creditworthiness until you actually have a history of making some money. It doesn't have to be a lot of money, you just have to be able to be somewhat consistent with it and pay back what debts you do accrue. Even if it's only a credit card with a 1k limit...

Nobody expects (nor should they) 19y/o FN Timmy to have a 750 FICO score.

However, the sensible thing to do is do what most young people *don't* do - especially in the military - buy a reasonably priced (25k or less) relatively fuel-efficient sedan (like a Honda Sonata/Accent/Elantra, Kia-anything, Ford Fit, Fusion, etc) and make *above* minimum payments on it. It's still reasonable, good on gas, and will - over time - build credit history.

But it's much cooler to go out and buy a loving Raptor or a Camaro or some other poo poo that an O-3 or an E-7 with 10 years in might be able to afford and make the minimum payment because gently caress it I'm gettin' paid on the 1st and 15th.

Again, this is not sailors or the Navy...this is "dumb loving young people doing stupid poo poo".

So many of my friends are in debt because of their cars and I always laugh at them. Guess I was the only one that decided to use some of the Navy's poo poo and put some of my money into investment eggs (loving around with some stock that an HM3 friend out in Naples tried out and is working pretty well for him). Definitely don't want to stay in this Navy as an HM.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

You can do RAP duty only once per enlistment correct?

I think so, I had one friend do it when he was PCSing from one coast to the other and wanted to take like 14 days of leave in El Paso to chill with friends and family. All they had him do was shred paperwork and workout with the DEP kiddies. I thought Camp Pendleton was going to be your last duty station. Reenlisting or just taking leave and doing RAP duty to not have it counted?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

A bunch of kids were looking at Hawaii or San Diego since they had a couple orders for them, then the detailers dropped a shitload of FMTB with 1st and 2nd MARDIV along with their Med battalions, everyone's scrambling to avoid them. It's beautiful.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

So, day four of Med Lab Tech C-school and I already hate it. Hopefully it gets better. gently caress.

At least you're not on the first floor getting psychology thrown at you and have prospects for outside employment. :unsmith:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

buttplug posted:

I know it's Michael Bay and all, but didn't prime-time TV learn their lesson with "Last Resort"? This is going to get old after about 2 episodes and people will lose interest. So much for being the "Last Ship" when they run out of loving gas and food because they haven't UNREP'ed in 2 whole weeks.

Then they become what every sailor dreams. :yarr:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

Honestly, I think if the system broke down and it was pretty much just a single ship then there would probably be mutiny, followed by hangings at mast.

Keelhaul all Chiefs.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Angry Fish posted:

Now that our forum is back, let's talk about the medical board process.

it is a relevant topic for me. :smith:

Enjoy your LLD while you're waiting for the results! Congrats on making through the PEB process without the civilian losing your package also!

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

poopkitty posted:

Why in the gently caress does the hospital not enforce rules? I spent 2 miserable hours at the hospital for an uncomfortable and stressful procedure and while I waited the 50 minutes past my appointment time I was stuck in the waiting room with LOTS of kids. In a clinic where it says "please do not bring children" on the walls. And their fat moms were all oblivious and pregnant. drat, goons, teach your dependa some courtesy.

Because when we do they complain and our supervisors get up our assholes because officers freak out about complaints.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

It's a vicious cycle. Dudes want BAH or extra deployment cash and they want healthcare for all their issues and 4 kids all from different dudes.

Sometimes you see the sadness deep in their eyes that maybe he did marry a solid 7/10 but she gained 100 lbs over deployment and turned into a baby mill.

It's even worse with Marines they need e-6 to get BAH. Out of the 800-1,000 or so people where I work I think there's 2-3 single e-5s? One of them recently divorced. Command functions are entertaining if only to laugh at all the fat crazy wives.

One of my Navy co-workers married a 49 year old just last week. He's 24 I believe.

As far as stories I got the usual obese dependa coming into medical because her husband Is complaining about her smelly taint multiple times during sex and you know where this story goes. Weeks old tampon.

One came up and asked if herpes was transmittable to her face from dirty stuff at the food court with her husband. Ever since they closed the ICC at this hospital you get a lot of interesting cases asking random poo poo at the information desk. They think a corpsman is able to diagnose everything and get pissy when I say I'm actually going to call the nurse on duty.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

All I see on the Shellback and FC groups are people trying to get other people to buy their lovely Teespring shirts, and of course with the mentality that makes up those groups, most of those loving awful shirts get sold.

Well how do you expect me to fake my sea time without a shirt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Seqenenra posted:

My chief used to get in my poo poo about glorifying booze.

C-school dude used to do that, he'd make fun of people that drink and then on his 21st he got hammered, DUI, lost his orders to San Diego and is now in China Lake I think.

• Locked thread