Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
I think the blueberries are a disgusting, lovely waste of money and have zero functional purpose whatsoever. They aren't professional, don't fit well, fall apart, and generally just plain suck. Believe it or not, there isn't a particular admiral to thank for that clusterfuck. You can thank MCPON Terry Scott (before Campa), a handful of Master Chiefs and probably a handful of terminal O-5s who all were teetering on retirement and had sweet, sweet contracts lined up for themselves for after they got out.

We should do what the USMC does: wear the type IIIs in the winter, and type IIs in the summer. Desert boots (pick your brand). The IIIs/IIs actually fit a bit better than the type Is and are a slightly thinner material. Also, velcro, not loving button pockets that don't even open all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Fart Sandwiches posted:

True story now E-6 and below march. 2nd and 1st classes don't have to be in the formation and can just walk beside the group but they still have to muster.

That was one time I truly relished being an O. loving marching in Pensacola summer heat 100 yards and having to wait for every swinging dick to get in formation before you depart anymore? Yea, no thanks.

Could be worse though...when I was there, Army guys at their tech school (A-school equivalent) were doing heat acclimatization and walking around in full body armor with kevlar helmets and M4s...

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ded posted:

Should have officer barracks and if those are not available they would put you in a nearby hotel.

In Yoko they pull up a berthing barge alongside where ships company generally does their day-to-day work when they can be aboard ship helping/overseeing with yard-work. The one they typically use in Yoko is loving ancient (WW2 era) and makes the creepiest, scariest loving noises ever.

It saw action in Korea and Vietnam. Terrifying.

http://www.ussnueces.org/

Howard Phillips posted:

Do you guys also suffer some of the following symptoms WRT life or am I the only one and if so am I basically getting Stockholmed into this organization?

1. Feel like I can't relate to anyone outside Navy.

2. Whenever I'm not at work I feel anxious and nervous.

3. At work I'm stressed but it's the only place I feel like I belong.

4. Prospect of working a civilian job and building a family outside the military terrify me.

Honestly, this will pass after you've been in for a couple years. At first, everything feels weird and out of place, but eventually you will find loads of friends who are non-military in order to maintain your sanity. What I found worked for me was to do my best *not* to hang out with Navy folks off-duty, otherwise you just end up bitching about work. While the Navy "is a lifestyle", it does not have to be your life. At the end of the day, for most people, it's a job. Yes it can be demanding and stressful - but that's nearly any job. You will (and have to) figure out ways to carve yourself a life outside of your job. Give it time.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 7, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Boon posted:

USAA regularly offers some fantastic rates on auto loans FYI.

Also, debt may be a hassle, but you should always carry a manageable amount of it.

The *right* kind of debt, you mean. Credit card? No.

Personal, mortgage, auto, or student loans? Yes, as long as you're making all of your payments on time and a model loving shining star of fiscal responsibility it will help build credit.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
What was its hull number?

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

I tried to grab a pic but I managed to jack that up while I was driving. I remember it had "33". It wasn't a Burke, and now that I google I realize it was the USS Barry.

So I'm back to never having seen an active navy ship again now :smugjones: I got sent TDY a few months ago and then they announced a fleet familiarization week and sent a bunch of CTIs to Norfolk to see how the other half lives. I'd been pleading with my chain for two years to let us do that and instead I got to watch everyone else do it through facebook. I know the grass is always greener but poo poo, if I wanted to live at a desk my whole career I'd have joined the air force.

Mmmm the Barry is a Burke, and it's DDG-52...not 33. We don't actually have surface vessels in the Navy that have a hull number of 33. DDGs start at 51, CGs at 47, FFGs at 7 but 33 has be decommed.

Was probably either coast guard, or foreign. I actually have absolutely no clue why a US Navy ship would be pulling into DC....

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Boon posted:

Sure, but even credit card debt is fine if it's paid off month to month. In fact, everyone should have one credit card. Part of your score is the type of credit account.

Yes and no. Your credit card balance-to-limit ratio should be no more than 30%. If you've got a card with a 10k limit, it will hurt your FICO score if you consistently have more than 30% utilization regardless of whether or not you're making your payments on time. But yea, generally as long as you're making payments on anything it's a good thing. However, credit card debt is one of those things that you really don't *need* to carry to have a good FICO score (if you have other sources of good debt like I mentioned previously to demonstrate fiscal discipline).

The really problem is that a lot of people don't just have 1 credit card, they feel they have to have 6 and carry a 50% balance on 3, and max out the other 3.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

Junior sailors, especially ones living on ship / in the barracks, aren't going to have a lot of sources of 'good debt' like rent/mortgage. They will have a cell phone, though, and putting that monthly bill on a CC, setting up autopayment and then tossing the CC in a drawer and forgetting about it is about the best thing they can do for their credit, sticking to a check card for everything more day to day.

The only other thing they can really do to build credit is buy a car and pay %rape interest rates on a loan, and they usually gently caress up that whole process eight different ways anyway

This is not unique to the Navy...this is young people in general. As a general rule, fresh out of high school or college you won't have much creditworthiness until you actually have a history of making some money. It doesn't have to be a lot of money, you just have to be able to be somewhat consistent with it and pay back what debts you do accrue. Even if it's only a credit card with a 1k limit...

Nobody expects (nor should they) 19y/o FN Timmy to have a 750 FICO score.

However, the sensible thing to do is do what most young people *don't* do - especially in the military - buy a reasonably priced (25k or less) relatively fuel-efficient sedan (like a Honda Sonata/Accent/Elantra, Kia-anything, Ford Fit, Fusion, etc) and make *above* minimum payments on it. It's still reasonable, good on gas, and will - over time - build credit history.

But it's much cooler to go out and buy a loving Raptor or a Camaro or some other poo poo that an O-3 or an E-7 with 10 years in might be able to afford and make the minimum payment because gently caress it I'm gettin' paid on the 1st and 15th.

Again, this is not sailors or the Navy...this is "dumb loving young people doing stupid poo poo".

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

tuluk posted:

current/former Navy SWO officers, question(s) for you.
Do any of you have a copy of "An Essay on Naval Tactics" (1790) by John Clerk?

As a non-Academy grad who hit the haterade today, let me ask the obvious: who gives a rat gently caress about an essay on Naval tactics written in 17-loving-90? Is that the poo poo they're teaching you at the Academy these days? How is that even *remotely* applicable or current?

They should be teaching loving AEGIS, BMD, COLREGS, CWMD proliferation, moboards, basic RT prowords, and unconventional warfare.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Get a grip dude. Go reverse engineer some malware or something.

Didn't you get passed up for O-5 already? Some good the boat school did you...

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Boon posted:

I assume you're a SWO because you responded to a guy asking for help from a SWO.

So from one SWO to another, slow your roll man, you're being a douche.

Nope. I'm an 1820. I was a SWO before I lat transferred. That being said, having actually been a SWO DIVO and seeing how hosed up the training system (or lack thereof) is, I can't help but laugh that people sit at the Academy for 4 years and come out equally as lost and confused about nearly everything as us OCS or ROTC folks.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 15, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Calling out buttplug for being a buttplug is hardly a sign that leadership has no idea what they are doing.

As far as the conversation you are having goes, making the officer transition is a pretty good thing for a sailor to do in my opinion. Kudos to the guys who advance to the E7 level and are actually competent leaders though because we need them but most guys would be better off getting out and using their GI Bill. But if you want to stay in it makes sense to put in that officer package.

Believe it or not, I agree. People say stupid, obnoxious poo poo on the Internet - that's what the Internet is for. I highly doubt anybody that posts in this thread regularly says or does any of the poo poo they post here and if so, most of it is some pretty forehead-slapping-worthy poo poo.

Also, to the guy whose commander said he needed "more experience in his AOR before he was ready for Annapolis" - your CO sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

krispykremessuck posted:

gently caress off human being the cg thread stopped being cool when the only other coastie w/ a sense of humor decided to swing from the rafters over some goonette. that leaves a fat airsoft nerd, a long-legged pissed off puerto rican, some old gay, a mustang rear end in a top hat idiot bitch, and some guys that like never, ever post. also me, and I pretty much hate everyone

Wait, who offed themselves?

buttplug fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 19, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

nwin posted:

Quarterly Prophet.

Oh, I didn't realize it was over some goonette (loving bitches man)... I was thinking he was talking about somebody else, sorry.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
I know it's Michael Bay and all, but didn't prime-time TV learn their lesson with "Last Resort"? This is going to get old after about 2 episodes and people will lose interest. So much for being the "Last Ship" when they run out of loving gas and food because they haven't UNREP'ed in 2 whole weeks.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Cerekk posted:

JAG was hugely popular and spun off one of the most successful dramas of all time. You can't really blame TV execs for biting on a Navy show.

Wasn't the main character a lawyer-SEAL-F-18 pilot?

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Cerekk posted:

Dependent health care should have a deductible. Except for sterilizations. Those should have a cash incentive.

I was waiting for a prescription for strep throat the other day (loving awesome...who gets strep throat in July?) and saw the no-poo poo Navy Stereotype. Giant, like 5'11" fat-gently caress dependa with screaming brat and a scrawney, like 5'6" coke-bottle-glasses-wearing 3rd class. He was so small and she was so big you would have thought she was HIS loving mom too. Nope, he was the sponsor.

"What did you need again" he said, right before ambling back up to the prescription window. "Ahhh sayddd valeeeummm". Jesus, of course you need valium.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Christoff posted:

They all have fibromyalgia

Is that really a "thing" that dependa like to throw out for valium prescriptions or something? Never heard of it..

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
We need an entire thread dedicated solely to dependa stories, we'll call it "Dependa Gone Wild".

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

KetTarma posted:

I know a guy that came back from deployment to discover that his wife had

1) cleaned out his bank account
1a) bought a car in his name
1b) bought a house in his name
2) was living there with another guy
3) wanted divorce

He lost his clearance, got transferred to work in deck department, then was unsuccessful in suicide. I guess it's kind of a sad story.

Visualize the least assertive person you've ever met. Imagine a rather buff woman that looks miles out of his league. Naturally, the wife was cheating on him. To win everything he owned, she told the command he beat her when he found out. He moved into the barracks, got into legal trouble, etc.

However, shortly after that, she got pregnant from her trainer at the gym. Babby daddy said he didn't want to have anything to do with her anymore. She then offered to drop charges and asked him to accept her back. He did. He managed to convince himself that the baby is his despite not having sex with her for 2 years prior.

poo poo like this is exactly why I'm still single. I got all sorts of poo poo leaving Asia after 5 yrs (2 Japan, 3 Korea) still single. But you know what my retort always was? "I've been listening to you married fuckers tell enough horror stories for 5 years and bitch about your wives so much that it has sterilized me of the idea of getting married". Absolutely true.

There's also something to be said about buying a brand new home before 30 and having money in the bank. Home many married folks (even dual-income) my age can say that? Very few. gently caress 'em.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Why are there horses dressed up as Marines in the Navy thread? Nasty poo poo...

• Locked thread