Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

tuluk posted:

longtime navy dudes
...barring the movie Mister Roberts(every enlisted guy was a buddyfucker), whats the most accurate to the real navy movie or book you've seen or read?
I starting re-reading Thomas Pynchon's "V", and the US Navy small boat bits in it are so full of bizzare, stupid, inane things that it screams legit US NAVY enlisted experience to me.

Stalking the Red Bear. The closest you will come to knowing some of the crazy rear end poo poo real subs do without actually serving on one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Christoff posted:

Are there "real" subs? Is there a POG version of subs?

As opposed to hunt for red october ect. :rolleyes:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

Why not SEAL? Or cook?

I thought that was the same school.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

vulturesrow posted:

For those of you who have done time on a ship in the yards, where do the nobles house themselves when they can't use their staterooms? This may or may not be relevant to a set of orders I am looking at.

Should have officer barracks and if those are not available they would put you in a nearby hotel.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

vulturesrow posted:

On the Navy's dime or not?

I know chiefs that were able to get it fully paid when this happened. Should be easier for a noble.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Belowdecks watch in drydock was pretty cool. It took about 3 minutes to check the 5 or 6 things that were not secured on the log.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

buttplug posted:

In Yoko they pull up a berthing barge alongside where ships company generally does their day-to-day work when they can be aboard ship helping/overseeing with yard-work. The one they typically use in Yoko is loving ancient (WW2 era) and makes the creepiest, scariest loving noises ever.

It saw action in Korea and Vietnam. Terrifying.

Ya I forgot about those things. I think the only time we ever used one was for the duty crew when they had to close berthing for whatever reason. But this was subs not a carrier.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Fart Sandwiches posted:

The second I got my final dd214 I gave away threw away all my navy poo poo. I kinda wish I had kept my coveralls to cut into a sleeveless shorty short onesie for yard work. crackerjack dress blues to give to my kid for Halloween use.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Octopode posted:

I'd favor San Diego over Hawaii, but I've only been out to HI to/from my deployments, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Bonus in San Diego is that you've got much better range of platforms to choose from. I did both my first two tours as a SWO on amphibs out of San Diego and it's definitely the way I'd go again given the choice--relaxed lifestyle of the Best Coast combined with the lower stress amphib lifestyle is a good combination--especially if you want to get away from people taking the Navy way too seriously.

On the flip side of this, you will constantly have your junior sailors being loving retards down in TJ.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

genderstomper58 posted:

By the time I left they banned everyone from tj

pick san diego tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christoff posted:

Mexico has always been off limits as far as I've known? But I've been in since like breakfast so

Lots of things bad about El Centro but being literally right next to Mexico and not allowed to go would suck.

Hawaii vs San Diego is a tough choice but I think the above posters covered all the comparisons

Ya sure it is. But does that really stop retards? At least it would mostly be a thing for his chief to worry about.

Personally I would say San Diego. Since I grew up in California and was stationed in Hawaii I would say overall SD is a better choice for the simple fact that if you get sick and tired of the area you are in you can drive for an hour and be somewhere that is NOT the island.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
BRAVO ZULU SHITMATE ON YOUR SUPERIOR USE OF INTERNET TECHNOLOGIES TO FURTHER ADVANCE YOURSELF IN THE SPIRIT OF THE UNITED STATES NAVY

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

KetTarma posted:

I know a guy that came back from deployment to discover that his wife had

1) cleaned out his bank account
1a) bought a car in his name
1b) bought a house in his name
2) was living there with another guy
3) wanted divorce

He lost his clearance, got transferred to work in deck department, then was unsuccessful in suicide. I guess it's kind of a sad story.

Visualize the least assertive person you've ever met. Imagine a rather buff woman that looks miles out of his league. Naturally, the wife was cheating on him. To win everything he owned, she told the command he beat her when he found out. He moved into the barracks, got into legal trouble, etc.

However, shortly after that, she got pregnant from her trainer at the gym. Babby daddy said he didn't want to have anything to do with her anymore. She then offered to drop charges and asked him to accept her back. He did. He managed to convince himself that the baby is his despite not having sex with her for 2 years prior.

This is pretty much the classic story that happens several times every year on each boat.

Arione posted:

Yep, never getting married, confirmed

Seeing it happen all the time was one of the big reasons for me to get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Well thats one way to get on my ignore list.

• Locked thread