Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

gleep gloop posted:

Lmao Bragg started doing that right before I left in 2010. PT HAD to be 630-745, work call at 900 aka 845.

It eventually became PT 0630-0800 but work call wasn't until 0930, which ruled. I routinely took twenty minute showers and 15 minute naps. What didn't rule were the asswipes guarding the exits to stop people from driving off, because yeah it's not like people have legitimate poo poo to do like gate guard/life guard/equipment testing details. If units can't get accountability of their people to the point where there needs to be loving staff duty blocking the roads with a clipboard then maybe go after the first sergeants instead of inconveniencing and hassling people.

Hour and a half long PT is just ludicrous and half the time the fuckers that come up with that idea/enforce is just burn off most of the time going around "inspecting the troops" or bullshitting on a row machine the whole time while the actual units are forced to just think up the dumbest poo poo to do to fill time. gently caress 5+ mile runs and doing pushups and situps until the magic time limit is up, making PT be an hour would force units to actually come up with effective PT plans rather than thinking about how to fill the time with the longest timewasters.

What makes matters worse was when fuckin crossfit because the new big thing for motarded PLs to introduce, now we get to fill up an hour and a half with a series of exercises meant to be completed in ~15 minutes. We once had a PL who made a "workout" for PT that involved doing like loving two hundred Turkish get-ups on top of hundreds of repetitions of other various crossfitty things like burpees and pullups. God forbid we do a realistic/effective workout and be done a little early, it's much better to have everyone halfass the entire thing because nobody in their right mind would even attempt to do two hundred Turkish get-ups at proper speed/intensity. It just became a game of waiting for people to start getting up and calling it done. Even the moto PL that made the workouts would be like "okay let's just do fifty instead" once we started because even he realized how dumb/impossible it was.

Then, when we (Joes and ATLs/TLs) were tasked with developing our own PT plans, they were never adhered to. We made a kickass PT plan involving 3 days a week spent exclusively in a weightlifting gym doing two bodygroups a day (back/bis chest/tris legs/shoulders) using a routine cribbed from what our little group of gym dudes usually did in their offtime, one day in a pool doing pool PT, and the requisite one ruck and one run a week. We were all extremely satisfied with it because it was an effective plan which let you track progress and self-improve, and it was conducted at squad level which helped with morale, yet we only did it for like two weeks before it was abandoned completely because something something sergeant major says no going to the gym during PT something something brigade footprint unless rucking or running. Eventually they wouldn't even let profile PT go to the gym, so instead of working around their injury to keep up their strength in other areas they get to flail around in the dirt and "stretch" for an hour and a half.

We all figured it was because brigade staff and above routinely went to the gym so they didn't have to sweat outside or do the same dumbass fuckshit the battalions would do (like overhead press those dumb brown ramp looking things in the gravel pit by the pullup bars like a bunch of stupid children) and didn't want a bunch of people hogging their sweet, sweet row machines considering how literally every time we went to Tucker (the stupid crossfit gym at Bragg) we 100% always saw 3BCT's CO and SGM on the row machine. EVERY. TIME. And this was over the course of at least 6 months to a year. One time we watched them since we were curious what they were doing all the time at Tucker, and they no-poo poo sat on the row machine rowing halfassedly for 45 minutes before leaving.

Thank gently caress that at least combat arms units at Bragg don't do PRT for anything other than warmup (which I actually prefer to stretching), that poo poo is the opposite end of the intensity spectrum and isn't enough if you do more than sit at a desk all day.

tl;dr army is gay and people with no understanding of physical fitness or conditioning/training are also gay but make the rules

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Cole posted:

Campbell started doing that. We did squad PT and would be done by 715 every day. It owned

Unfortunately once you got back to your room you were pretty much stuck til 0800 but it was nice to shower with hot water.

Campbell was doing that back in 2009

The best is 173rd started doing that with drill and ceremony practice authorized for filling in the time if you finish your PT plan.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Jarmak posted:

The best is 173rd started doing that with drill and ceremony practice authorized for filling in the time if you finish your PT plan.

Oh god I remember doing drill and ceremony after PT. I think my PSG had us do it twice before he just said "go back to your rooms and don't be seen for half an hour".

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
i only ever did PT from 0630 until 0800

gently caress the rakkasans.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
We are getting the same kind of dumb poo poo at the moment.

A while back, some dickhead got his nuts in a knot because he came down to inspect some people doing PT, but they decided on a different place. This immediately translated into NO ONE IN THIS BRIGADE DOES PT EVER.

So PT got stretched out to 0600 to 0730.

We just spent the last week using PT to practice for a change of command for a commander who saw gently caress all people doing PT in the footprint, so decided to place first sergeants at the entrance to the car park to write down names of anyone pissing off early.

Little does he know, the first sergeants are pissing off early at 0700 because it's really loving dumb. I know this because I time my 5 minute walk out into the woods, sit down and bullshit with whoever isn't a complete a social miscreant and on profile PT at that time, then my 5 minute walk back and drive home for a nap.

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
We train to standard. That standard is time.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

manchego posted:

i only ever did PT from 0630 until 0800

gently caress the rakkasans.

Was this only a rakk thing?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Jarmak posted:

Was this only a rakk thing?

It was a division policy but not necessarily a policy at lower levels as long as you had cool leadership and no one ran their mouth about dipping out early.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
gently caress NTC gently caress 2/2 gently caress OC/Ts um who else.. gently caress 2nd bsb and the cssb we fell under and gently caress that one... Fuckity gently caress of a gently caress who hosed a duck.

But in reality the Nebraska National Guard are chill as hell and I would totally move out there and join if I wasn't super reservist back home. Someone donated to them a pallet of organic jerky and a pallet of water cases. Not a box, a pallet. "They really love the guard in Nebraska." Was the quote.
What did we get? Cut in half and had to do the same mission with 38% of my required strength. I needed 36 and I had 14. 14! NTC is a huge set up.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

White Chocolate posted:

gently caress NTC gently caress 2/2 gently caress OC/Ts um who else.. gently caress 2nd bsb and the cssb we fell under and gently caress that one... Fuckity gently caress of a gently caress who hosed a duck.

But in reality the Nebraska National Guard are chill as hell and I would totally move out there and join if I wasn't super reservist back home. Someone donated to them a pallet of organic jerky and a pallet of water cases. Not a box, a pallet. "They really love the guard in Nebraska." Was the quote.
What did we get? Cut in half and had to do the same mission with 38% of my required strength. I needed 36 and I had 14. 14! NTC is a huge set up.

as the forward-of-the-lines reconnaissance element that was supposed to be the first ones to see the enemy main effort attempting to attack our task force in JRTC, we had a wait time for call-for-fire of around 36 minutes. 36 loving minutes to call a fire mission and get rounds on target

we called artillery on the entire enemy special forces platoon + their insurgent fighters they were "advising" as they were assembling at some staging area in an intersection we were watching and had to cancel it because they left (they were there for at least 15 minutes milling around in the open outside their vehicles). gg thanks a lot faggots, i understand we aren't priority because some BSTB fuckstick freaks out when they take contact and has to hit it with a jdam/HIMARS barrage but when we say we have a high value target can you at least take our word for it

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 28, 2014

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Way earlier. It started when Colonel Steele first got to the Rak.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

Lol no more nike boots? Glad I got the gently caress out. Every other boot feels like iron boots from zelda.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I saw that picture almost a year ago, though. It's been around. Just depends on whether or not your leadership decides to enforce it. I thought I'd outsmart the system by just buying what my 1SG was wearing, but now he's leaving and I have to hope whoever comes in also wears comfortable boots so my plan can continue.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
I heard some brand new butter bar say "I think we should go back to black polished boots. They look so sharp!" the other day. It's too late for me. I'll hold them off as long as I can. Run, while you still have a chance. It's only going to get worse from here.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
It really seems like 2010 was the prime time to get out of the army. Stupid uniform policies were about to start, PT times got stupid, there was no threat of stop loss, re-enlistment bonuses were gone, deployments were slowing down, BAF/KAF had basically become Fort Bragg/Fort Campbell Afghanistan.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

gleep gloop posted:

It really seems like 2010 was the prime time to get out of the army.

Every day is the best day to get out of the Army.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Every day is the best day to get out of the Army.

Well yeah duh, but except for just about missing the contractor gravy train I think I spent the perfect time in the army, if you had to go in. I joined in 2007 when the surge was in full swing. Anyone could get in then, felons, high-school dropouts, legit crazy people, people with reconstructed elbows, who cares welcome aboard! Bonuses were sky high, there was just about a 100% chance you would deploy (unless you pulled some poo poo like strategically getting knocked up), the worst of Iraq was winding down, and after three years you could get out just in time for the post 9/11 GI bill and not worry about getting stop lossed.

Anansi The Spider
Jan 30, 2014

loved basic so much I decided to stay
I was just reassigned to infantry school cadre.

god damnit

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Have fun at peacetime Benning.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

pictured: Anansi The Spider in the field.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

elite_garbage_man posted:

Lmao wtf is this?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

gleep gloop posted:

Lmao wtf is this?

Whatever it is looks mandatory, and therefore retarded.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

gleep gloop posted:

Lmao wtf is this?

Looks like the big dumb Fort Jackson 4th of July "picnic" we got to go to in BCT. They sold candy, soda, and whole pizzas. Dumb fucks were eating two whole pizzas by themselves and getting sick. :lol:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 30, 2014

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

WHERE ARE YOUR REFLECTIVE BELTS

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Anansi The Spider posted:

god damnit

the gently caress is a cadre?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

WHERE ARE YOUR REFLECTIVE BELTS

It looks like basic training. We didn't have reflective belts in basic.

Which is a failure at the most basic level right??!??

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

the gently caress is a cadre?

Basically, it means he's gonna be a supply sergeant's bitch somewhere on Fort Benning for the next several years, I'm guessing.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

DoktorLoken posted:

Basically, it means he's gonna be a supply sergeant's bitch somewhere on Fort Benning for the next several years, I'm guessing.

i was thinking it meant something like that

fuckin d-d-d-dusted

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

god damnit

lmao

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I've never really heard people say they got reassigned. It's always "I got orders to..."

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Oh basic training mandatory fun? At fort sill they had a rodeo thing. I asked to skip it, has to wash canteens for an hour, but then got like three free hours of sleep. #winning.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

hahaha "Cadre," more like "permanent party." gg

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol

gleep gloop posted:

Oh basic training mandatory fun? At fort sill they had a rodeo thing. I asked to skip it, has to wash canteens for an hour, but then got like three free hours of sleep. #winning.

I had to go to the rodeo thing, it was dumb, would have rather had sleep.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Name any activity up to and maybe including sex with Katy Perry, and probably most people in Basic would rather sleep. The drill sergeants know this, but gently caress you here's a lovely country music concert with the speakers turned up nauseatingly loud.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 30, 2014

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I went to 3 or 4 Padre's games when I was in the broke dick platoon in boot camp. I honestly don't remember the actual games because I'm not into baseball, but I'd rather be out there than in a loving squad bay full of broken recruits or on suicide watch another day. Plus there was hot dogs, soda, and all the people you had to turn down that offered to buy you beer.

We wore cammies instead of pt gear, so it was slightly less dorky too.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

White Chocolate posted:

NTC has ALWAYS been loving retarded. I went with Worst Cav in 1992, and before that I went with some loving unit I didn't care about in '88 because God hates me and I obvious touch myself or some poo poo. They flew me out of Rhien-Mien to some retarded rear end air strip, put me on another jet wedged between some fat mouthbreathing MSG who drooled on himself and some fat gently caress CWO who snored and kept grabbing at his crotch in his sleep. When I got to Fort Erwin without being molested by these two preemo specimens of humanity, I was slapped in a loving CUC-V, driven out in the desert, and handed off to some loving unit to "oversee NBC deployment practice", got told that nobody needed me, and slept/jerked off/wandered around for 2 loving weeks.

In 92 we had this loving NCO who was deathly afraid that coyotes would eat him (He didn't need to worry, coyotes don't eat poo poo) and refused to leave his tent. We'd go out and make bullshit rear end coyote barking and howling and he'd be in the tent panicking. During the day he'd brag about what a badass he was and how he was totally going to be a snake eater and poo poo. At night, he'd hide in his bunk and cry over the coyotes.

Hey, as far as the PT goes, aren't the Master Fitness guys in charge of that poo poo any more? You had to go to some 3 week class teaching you about nutrition, proper way to exercise the whole unit, how to build up PT programs that even include the guys on profile, and poo poo like that.

Or did they get rid of that because obviously the god's gift to the military jewelry wearing faggots strutting around know everything about everything and of course they can whip up a PT plan and don't need no loving buck-toothed mouth-breathing enlisted/NCO telling THEM what to do. Did they go to West Point so they could wear that faggy ring? No.

Just wait, you guys are going to be wearing black boots and have to have them highly polished within 2 years.

Hope you know how to starch and press a uniform, because creases will be mandatory too.

PEACETIME ARMY BEST ARMY!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

I went to 3 or 4 Padre's games when I was in the broke dick platoon in boot camp. I honestly don't remember the actual games because I'm not into baseball, but I'd rather be out there than in a loving squad bay full of broken recruits or on suicide watch another day. Plus there was hot dogs, soda, and all the people you had to turn down that offered to buy you beer.

We wore cammies instead of pt gear, so it was slightly less dorky too.

woah they let nasty recruits leave the depot :wth:

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
I was chatting with the BC at NTC, and he said that while these days NTC is just a block to check, back in the day it would no poo poo make or break your career. Commanders that "failed" at NTC would never get promoted.

I can't even imagine having to take NTC seriously.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

iKon posted:

I can't even imagine having to take NTC seriously.

Peacetime Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

god damnit

hahahahahahahahahahahahah loving owned

I can't imagine what your reaction was upon hearing that news. Now you get to be that pace guy during BCT PT tests and get to do inventory and set stuff up for training events except you are going to do it for your entire initial contract hahahahaha

• Locked thread