Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Patema Inverted is a 2013 sci-fi adventure film by Yasuhiro Yoshiura, best known to the rest of us as the person behind Time of Eve, Pale Cacoon, and Aquatic Language.

I went into it relatively blind, and I kind of suggest you do so as well, so just to be safe I will spoiler tag the synopsis:

(Even though the poster kind of gives it away) Patema is a member of an underground society whose gravity has been reversed. After an incident, she finds herself on the surface and meets a boy named Age who decides to help her out. The two try to find a way to return Patema home while evading the soldiers of the oppressive fascist state that exists upon the surface.

It's a different sort of movie from this director; I would liken it to Makoto Shinkai's attempt to go into a similar genre with Children Who Chase Lost Voices. Like that film, it feels similar to something out of Ghibli, with characters finding themselves in a different and strange world from their own. This time around however I feel Yoshiura has succeeded where Shinkai did not, and it has resulted in a very entertaining film. The characters are mostly memorable, the cinematography is breathtaking (sometimes literally), the premise is fairly unique, there are some pretty good twists that I didn't see coming, and overall it is just a whole lot of fun. Some issues I have with it would be that there are one or two side characters that were kind of pointless, the villain is very much mustache-twirling (although it could be argued it's a throwback to older Ghibli and Disney villains), and the ending is kind of weird until you sit down and think about it (Click here after you've finished the movie*). Obviously these are small complaints in my mind against the film as a whole, otherwise I wouldn't be posting about it.

*Thanks pandaK

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
UK folk: All the Anime has gotten the licence and is marketing it aggressively, with a bunch of cinema screenings and a just-concluded Kickstarter for a super-duper deluxe edition, with translated Official Design Works and everything. Of which I was one of the folk who got said super-duper deluxe edition for £35. :smug:

But yeah, UK cinema release is ongoing, and it'll be available to buy on disc this coming Autumn. I understand that GKids has the US licence, but right now the UK is probably the easiest place to see it without resorting to :filez:.

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 1, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I'm watching this, I am only a little bit in and Half Life vibes aside this has me going :aaa: I'm almost actually don't want this explained.

e: Holy shiiiiiiiit. You know that episode of futurama where they burnt down a house underwater with a lit cigar? That's how much my mind is blown. I think this movie had the greatest red herring of all time.

I was completely convinced the inverted people actually somehow managed a society in the sky as some kind of ringworld-dysonsphere and so I was confused as to why they didn't meet anyone up there. So did anyone survive to continue living on the actual surface though?

e2: Yeah holy crap Nate RFB, I thought the exact same thing.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 1, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I probably should have mentioned that this may not be quite the movie for you if you have extreme Acrophobia.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I was completely convinced the inverted people actually somehow managed a society in the sky as some kind of ringworld-dysonsphere and so I was confused as to why they didn't meet anyone up there. So did anyone survive to continue living on the actual surface though?
The impression that I got was the damage was so catastrophic (it would take far more than one city to produce a ring around the moon) that the human population had been reduced to a point where it was just the scientists (Patema's people) and the survivors they were able to find. The world is a big place of course so there could be pockets elsewhere. And then so much time had passed that both societies effectively rebuilt themselves as something entirely different.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

I probably should have mentioned that this may not be quite the movie for you if you have extreme Acrophobia.
The impression that I got was the damage was so catastrophic (it would take far more than one city to produce a ring around the moon) that the human population had been reduced to a point where it was just the scientists (Patema's people) and the survivors they were able to find. The world is a big place of course so there could be pockets elsewhere. And then so much time had passed that both societies effectively rebuilt themselves as something entirely different.

I also got the impression that the Chief and the older people are still "in" on the actual history though some of the details may have gotten a bit vague over time. I think Lagos intended to see if through Age's father to see if he could reintroduce the truth to that society.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I'd have to say the biggest surprise in the movie was the properly spelled, grammatically correct English in Eiji's dad's journal. Kind of wish they'd told us what Lagos wrote in it, though.

Also, How did nobody on either side figure out the idea of weighted belts or something?

...man, this thread looks like a CIA document or something.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Sandman posted:

I'd have to say the biggest surprise in the movie was the properly spelled, grammatically correct English in Eiji's dad's journal. Kind of wish they'd told us what Lagos wrote in it, though.

Also, How did nobody on either side figure out the idea of weighted belts or something?

...man, this thread looks like a CIA document or something.

I think its up there with the Future Animator's movie with the spider girl to be honest, the movie has its claws in you from the start.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hadn't even realized before I watched the movie, but apparently like Time of Eve this was also based on a series of ONA episodes? Is there any reason to watch them as well? It seems like unlike Time of Eve they're literally just the first 20 or so minutes of the movie when put back-to-back. I'm guessing it was more like some sort of prologue/promo for the movie.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Yeah, as far as I know there's no point in watching them if you've seen the movie.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I first watched the onas and they were decent. The movie really pulled things together and is better because of more scenes that make it more consistent.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
Now this is a neat concept to apply to a movie. Thanks a lot for sharing! And goddamn does the villain's 'I steal candy from children and kick little puppies' schtick get old fast. Like his MO in each scene can be summarized as 'How can I be the most irrepressible piece of poo poo possible,' which depresses me, because everything else was written so much more competently.

I also like how reckless all the characters are with their gravity hijinxs. Are you sure you don't want to tie a harness, or at least a rope to each other... you know, just in case your hands slip or whatever? No? Alright, only a couple hundreds of thousands feet drop to your death if anything goes wrong, no biggie.

But like I said, cool concept, very pretty movie, definitely worth watching.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Shark Tower posted:

Now this is a neat concept to apply to a movie. Thanks a lot for sharing! And goddamn does the villain's 'I steal candy from children and kick little puppies' schtick get old fast. Like his MO in each scene can be summarized as 'How can I be the most irrepressible piece of poo poo possible,' which depresses me, because everything else was written so much more competently.

That is by far my biggest complaint about the film and why I just don't like it nearly as much as I do Time of Eve. That and Patema herself isn't as strongly written of a character as I would have liked to see.

The central idea of the world and the way some of the scenes were presented was very interesting though, even if I'm not going to be thinking of it as a classic in the same way I do his earlier work.

Some (a lot) of the visuals were fuckin' great though!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That first gif is kind of a spoiler too :v:

The villain kind of reminded me of Muska, which I guess is appropriate since the movie does seem to be relatively inspired by Laputa.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I thought it was ok. The premise was pretty neat and well executed, but all the characters were so loving bland I couldn't get into it. No where near as good as Time of Eve.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

So...er... uh :psypop: What were the radar dishes on Age's side supposed to be? Why was there an entire, err, set of factories on Age's side of the "sky?" Why didn't they explore further to see if anyone lived there? I mean, come on those things can't run by themselves.It makes... no... sense. :psyduck: One shouldn't even think that the thing takes place on Earth, the crust etc. wouldn't make any sense.

I guess the radar dishes and the mystery factory world was left as a mystery on purpose

I had slight difficulties navigating my browser's back/forward buttons for a few seconds after watching the film because the entire concept of inversion left my brain on a loop.

edit: Holy loving poo poo, I just watched the spoiler image again about the composition of the Earth and I think I got... uh. No. It doesn't make sense. It would if the ruins on the moon's side wouldn't be the original ones, or were they ripped with the entire layer of crust as a whole and the factory world is the "original" Earth unearthed?

...I need to stop thinking about this, there is no "right" answer, right?

Dessel fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 9, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I liked it. I kinda wish it were more about Patema and her people and less about Age's incredibly boring school life.

Dessel posted:

So...er... uh :psypop: What were the radar dishes on Age's side supposed to be? Why was there an entire, err, set of factories on Age's side of the "sky?" Why didn't they explore further to see if anyone lived there? I mean, come on those things can't run by themselves.It makes... no... sense. :psyduck: One shouldn't even think that the thing takes place on Earth, the crust etc. wouldn't make any sense.

I guess the radar dishes and the mystery factory world was left as a mystery on purpose

I had slight difficulties navigating my browser's back/forward buttons for a few seconds after watching the film because the entire concept of inversion left my brain on a loop.

edit: Holy loving poo poo, I just watched the spoiler image again about the composition of the Earth and I think I got... uh. No. It doesn't make sense. It would if the ruins on the moon's side wouldn't be the original ones, or were they ripped with the entire layer of crust as a whole and the factory world is the "original" Earth unearthed?

...I need to stop thinking about this, there is no "right" answer, right?

I assume the factories on the deep down below are responsible for managing the environment for the Aigans. The clouds and the sky and the sun and stuff. They are probably automated and controlled from the radar dishes.

It is really simple:

Surface
I##
I##
Patema's people
|##
|##
Aigans
(Clouds)
Fake sky
I##
I##
Deeper underground

What I don't really get is why there is a ring around the moon...

Fangz fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 9, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

You're overthinking this. The factories on the "sky" are for the artificial sun and stars for Age's world, which is inverted with the "sky" in a direction towards the Earth's core. The ruins around the moon are the parts of the Earth, i.e. land, buildings, grass, trees, people that had their gravitation switched at the time of the accident.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Furious Lobster posted:

You're overthinking this. The factories on the "sky" are for the artificial sun and stars for Age's world, which is inverted with the "sky" in a direction towards the Earth's core. The ruins around the moon are the parts of the Earth, i.e. land, buildings, grass, trees, people that had their gravitation switched at the time of the accident.

But why would the inverted ruins be attracted to the moon?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fangz posted:

Because anime-handwave-physics. They obviously wouldn't but Yoshiura wanted it that way.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fangz posted:

Because it allows for a neat visual. It also helps confirm which direction up actually is.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Fangz posted:

It's probably just whats left of normal-gravity debris that got caught in the upward explosion of inverted gravity debris. Also, unfortunately dead people.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
I just saw this and I absolutely loved it. I hope the US Release has something anywhere near as cool as you UK guys get...

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Delusibeta posted:

Of which I was one of the folk who got said super-duper deluxe edition for £35. :smug:
Make that two of us :smug: Shame that we didnt hit the stretch goal for the OST. So close too!

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

FiftySeven posted:

Make that two of us :smug: Shame that we didnt hit the stretch goal for the OST. So close too!

Gratuitous bump since Zorak linked this thread in the Fall 2014 thread.

Update: actually, yes, the OST is included. Ultimate Edition exclusive, though. :smug:

Bad news: All the Anime has continued their unfine tradition of delays and winding up behind a backlog of stuff at the printers, so delivery has been punted to End of October, which would bring the UK general release roughly in line with the US release (i.e. mid-November). Also in second link: preview of what the Ultimate Edition looks like. Yum, yum. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Delusibeta posted:

Gratuitous bump since Zorak linked this thread in the Fall 2014 thread.

Update: actually, yes, the OST is included. Ultimate Edition exclusive, though. :smug:

Bad news: All the Anime has continued their unfine tradition of delays and winding up behind a backlog of stuff at the printers, so delivery has been punted to End of October, which would bring the UK general release roughly in line with the US release (i.e. mid-November). Also in second link: preview of what the Ultimate Edition looks like. Yum, yum. :dance:

You brits suck. I'm so jealous of your millionaire edition.

• Locked thread