Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

havenwaters posted:

Pretty much minus the Safari part since that won't work on PC either. It's just ios, osx, or your apple tv

Interesting, when they first announced the live stream, it said Quicktime 7 for Windows was supported, but that text is gone now.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/27/apple-to-live-stream-exciting-announcements-from-june-2-wwdc-2014-keynote-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They did the same thing last year. Quicktime 7 is a general requirement for normal streaming videos on their website -- live streaming isn't supported by Quicktime 7 for Windows though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah yes, it does now say "Live streaming video requires..." vs. "Streaming video requires." And the WWDC 2013 keynote page supports Windows, since it's not a live stream.

Annoying though, since I'd rather just watch it on my work machine, and pretend to still work.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It'll magically appear tomorrow as its own channel. No worries.

Oh wow, an "Apple Events" channel just appeared.

Thanks!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Come on, 12-inch Air.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Super disappointed if that's their approach, basically just copying and pasting elements of iOS over OSX. Blah.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

McFunkerson posted:

I've bought into the hype and I'm expecting the best Keynote since the initial iPhone launch.

Holographic Steve Jobs?!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Super disappointed if that's their approach, basically just copying and pasting elements of iOS over OSX. Blah.

Hating the frosted glass look if that's real. I don't understand their new obsession with frosted.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I want my iOS/OSX notification sync :mad:. OSX notifications are still a gong show.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
You can make out updated dock icons in the Verge's photo:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Don Tacorleone posted:

Hating the frosted glass look if that's real. I don't understand their new obsession with frosted.
Should have expected it really, but I was still holding out hope.

I know they want to unify the OSX->iOS experience and vice versa, but having them be carbon copies of one another isn't really the way to go.

Then again this is the same company that brought us LAUNCHPAD and touted it as a revolutionary new way to access apps.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Molten Llama posted:

Holographic Steve Jobs?!
To perform California Love with Dr. Dre!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Say what you want about launchpad, my mom loves that thing and hates finder.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

ZShakespeare posted:

I've no problems with launchpad since you don't even have to use it if you don't want to, and I've noticed it's very accesible to people coming from iOS. Just not sure what's their obsession with frosty glass look. I don't love it on the iPhone either.

This WWDC is an hour earlier than usual, right?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Molten Llama posted:

Holographic Steve Jobs?!

With Dr Dre, Holo Tupac and Holo Reagan performing as a barber shop quartet.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ZShakespeare posted:

The future of computing.

:negative:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Don Tacorleone posted:

This WWDC is an hour earlier than usual, right?

No.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ZShakespeare posted:

Coming from the world of CONSUMER Linux (oh boy), my only Launchpad complaint is that my Command-Space shortcut for it keeps coming unstuck.

It's otherwise just the same executables-only panel that also exists in Linux DEs like Gnome3 and Unity. And I've never had a problem with such things, because the old MS Start Menu was full of non-executable junk and vertically arranged.

However, I usually just type in a few characters of the app I want and hit enter/return, so to me it is just a system level replacement for what I was doing with the Quicksilver extension back in the Panther days.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
That wallpaper is Half-Dome in Yosemite National Park.

I'm totally going to change my hard drive icon to this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

My memory's the worst

Anyway I said I was going to be late for work today just to watch this, I need to reevaluate my life choices. I ordered some food and I'm still in my underwear.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Then again this is the same company that brought us LAUNCHPAD and touted it as a revolutionary new way to access apps.

Wow I totally forgot that was a thing. Maybe if I organized it, it could be useful... Oh wait, I just realized I can just start typing and open apps that way. poo poo, I really should use it.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

If nothing else, I'm happy that the days of the Leopard faux 3D dock are finally over.

Going back to Tiger's design is good in my book.

Not holding my breath that they restore Exposé to its pre-Snow Leopard glory though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Launchpad the thing with some but not all of my program icons that I occasionally invoke and have no idea how I did it?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is Launchpad the thing with some but not all of my program icons that I occasionally invoke and have no idea how I did it?
That's the one.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Drastic Actions posted:

Wow I totally forgot that was a thing. Maybe if I organized it, it could be useful... Oh wait, I just realized I can just start typing and open apps that way. poo poo, I really should use it.

Or you could just use spotlight.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Plorkyeran posted:

Or you could just use spotlight.

That's what I do. I just did not know that launchpad did the same thing.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Yes, it's the iOS looking window that you can launch with the little Rocket icon or if you have a macbook you do a 4 finger gesture bringing your fingers together. It's pretty nifty

I'm looking at the Apple Event images and they generally don't hint at what's coming. WWDC 2013 image kind of hinted at the ios7 redesign, the Sept 2013 event hinted at the iphone 5C colors, but mostly they don't telegraph anything.

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 2, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Don Tacorleone posted:

Yes, it's the iOS looking window that you can launch with the little Rocket icon or if you have a macbook you do a 4 finger gesture bringing your fingers together. It's pretty nifty

It must be the 4 finger thing that does it.

And it seems funny that GUIs have come all this way, but I exclusively use spotlight to launch apps and open documents. I no longer pay attention even to where I'm saving documents.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Huh, still hasn't leaked. Go us.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

rjmccall posted:

Huh, still hasn't leaked. Go us.
What?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Stream is active now.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Stream is live, showing some huge nerds getting ready and some lovely background music

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Don Tacorleone posted:

Stream is live, showing some huge nerds getting ready and some lovely background music

Pompeii is not lovely. It's actually really good.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Geez... Moscone Center is freaking big.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

horse mans posted:

It sounds like a cross between Mumford & Sons and Imagine Dragons.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Blackhawks jersey spotted. :v:

Gonna keep count of the number of "show us the new poo poo already, Tim" complaints.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

horse mans posted:

Let it be known that I disagree with this more strongly than any changes actually announced at this keynote.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

It sounds like a cross between Mumford & Sons and Imagine Dragons.

Sure, if you're deaf.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

horse mans posted:

This guy has worse taste than Scott Forstall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Stream works on Wii U with user agent switched to iPad, I'm guessing it works on any browser that can switch agents and view HTML5 video.

• Locked thread