Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

horse mans posted:

He, as usual, posited there wouldn't be any consumer hardware releases for WWDC, which, you know, is a developer conference.

OTOH, the last two years, they announced updated Macbook Airs at the developer conference. And last year they announced iTunes Radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'd rather be surprised in a few hours than look at leaks now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

havenwaters posted:

Pretty much minus the Safari part since that won't work on PC either. It's just ios, osx, or your apple tv

Interesting, when they first announced the live stream, it said Quicktime 7 for Windows was supported, but that text is gone now.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/27/apple-to-live-stream-exciting-announcements-from-june-2-wwdc-2014-keynote-

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah yes, it does now say "Live streaming video requires..." vs. "Streaming video requires." And the WWDC 2013 keynote page supports Windows, since it's not a live stream.

Annoying though, since I'd rather just watch it on my work machine, and pretend to still work.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wouldn't be WWDC without Coldplay.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ZeeBoi posted:

Well it is the developer's conference so it should focus on software.
Well, could be new hardware that requires new software.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

When they have a lot of stuff to talk about, they usually cut the long generic "Yay Apple" videos and just put them on YouTube.

So...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting that the Ars live stream is ahead of my iPad's live stream. By like 30 seconds.

http://live.arstechnica.com/apples-wwdc-2014-keynote/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, Mavericks is only 51% despite being free?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, 12 minutes from start to talking about stuff we want to see. That's a new record.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Who here still has the translucent title bar turned on in OS X today?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ZeeBoi posted:

Goodbye skeumorphic bullshit

Craig sure keeps talking about "translucent material."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ZeeBoi posted:

Spotlight is now alfred

Or Quicksilver.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Crowd doesn't seem that impressed that they moved Spotlight to the center of the screen.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The "iCloud document picker" on iOS? What's that?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Isn't Mail Drop essentially a GMail / Google Drive feature too?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Searching your favorites bar by clicking and typing seems to be missing the point of the one-click favorites bar.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

"HTML5 Premium Video" == DRM, right? Gotta love Apple's branding.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ha, so new Safari will cut Google out of the loop if you are looking for a Wikipedia page.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I really do wish they had this Markup button for screenshots. So I wouldn't have to Google the screen capture key commands every time I wanted to use it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wonder if this stuff works in non Apple apps.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dre is losing cool points in realtime.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This is classic preaching to the choir right here.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hope you can turn that "frequent people" noise off.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nice, they ripped off the gestures from Mailbox. Since that is my favorite part of Mailbox...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Gestures in mailbox?

Mailbox, the iPhone mail app that Dropbox makes.
http://www.mailboxapp.com/

It has the swipe to delete gestures.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

"Please use our game APIs so that you are locked into iOS and can't port to Android."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This kind of technical thing doesn't go well with the keynote format. The stuff they can demo isn't meaningful, and screenshots don't help.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

It's Worldwide Developers Conference, not Worldwide Consumers Conference.

It's both, is the confusing bit. The WWDC keynote often feels indistinguishable from the old-school MacWorld keynotes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Web pages are up:

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/
http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

maduin posted:

Yup, worked perfectly and is downloading. I'm wondering if Apple requires 10.10 to update a phone to iOS 8 in an attempt to cut down on the tons of people who buy UDID slots and stuff..

Do they let you download 10.10 if you only have an iOS dev account?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The old Photo Stream wasn't really cloud storage, it was more like cloud distribution. So you uploaded a photo to Photo Stream, and Apple held it for a while until it was downloaded to all your devices. Ideally one device was a Mac running iPhoto, so it got added to your iPhoto library, and that was the archived copy. The limit of cloud stored photos was 1000, but it could have been 100 and Photo Stream would have worked pretty much the same.

The problem is that's a very "Mac as media hub" solution, and the new world expects the phone to be a first class citizen. Also Apple was terrible at explaining it.

So, the new iCloud Photo Library just says "ok, whatever, we'll store your stuff, but it counts against your iCloud quota."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

bumnuts posted:

I thought I had read somewhere that they are streaming the State of the Union talk this year, is that true? If so, anyone have a link?

Yeah, the only reference to them streaming it is in the original press release announcing WWDC. I can't find a link, but I'm not even clear where it would be. In the WWDC app? On the developer website?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Its like the NDA is there for giggles.

Pretty much. It's certainly not enforced in any way. And now with the public OS X beta it's going to be even more of a joke.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

andyf posted:

The State of the Platforms stream is live at https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/videos/

(Also in the iOS wwdc app)

Personally I can't find it in the iOS app. They sent me an alert, but there's nothing on the videos tab. Web page is working though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Leathal posted:

I'm somewhat confused about iOS 8's extensions and how they compare to Android's intents.

The Pinterest example from the demo is really slick if it works like a beefed up intent - but the pretty specific VSCO example that followed made me wonder if extensions might be more limited than intents on an app-to-app basis (eg: "can only call Pinterest from a WebView").

It's a very specific list of extension types: Share, Action, Today, Photo Editing, Storage Provider, and Custom Keyboard.

Action is the most generic and is like "use some other app with this data." Today is the notification center widgets.

One interesting thing is that extensions are separate app binaries that are bundled/distributed with their parent app, and you can't have an app that is only extensions,

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, they list a bunch of areas missing translations in the iOS 8 release notes: https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/releasenotes/General/RN-iOSSDK-8.0/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40014223

Also, they actually have the iOS 8 release notes on a public URL this year. Guess that a lot of that NDA really is gone.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh, yeah, that's a fun little note... you can't use third-party keyboards on password fields.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That would be a good iPhone 6 feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

Even if Apple seriously enforced the NDA, its supposedly worded a lot less strictly this year anyway. Apparently you don't even need to sign in with a dev account to watch the WWDC session videos through the WWDC app this year.

http://oleb.net/blog/2014/06/apple-lifted-beta-nda/

quote:

Further, Apple agrees that You will not be bound by the foregoing confidentiality terms with regard to technical information about pre-release Apple Software and services disclosed by Apple at WWDC (Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference), except that You may not post screen shots, write public reviews or redistribute any pre-release Apple Software or services

Makes sense, since the SDK docs are all public this year. No dev logon required.

• Locked thread