Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
I created a character who I'll need to type up again because I was stupid enough to close my text editor before ensuring that my cut and paste had actually worked properly. The general gist is that he's a very talented mechanic (I took the artificer talent advantage at level 3), who's also a pretty good martial artist (using a style of Pentjak Silat that includes karate, judo, knife, shortsword and two handed sword), but who has pacifism (relucant killer), post combat shakes and, depending on just how badly it's likely to screw me over, charitable. The first two I plan to buy off at the first opportunity.

The general idea is that he's a mechanic by trade (and enjoys it), who does the martial art primarily as a hobby. I was hoping for him to have a katana (or at least a bokken) in his house, since that's actually the kind of sword the style I was talking about uses, but if not I'm sure he'll eventually be able to find something. He also had teaching at 12 - something that means he can at least help people learn how to use a knife properly - and a single point in Armoury (melee weapons) to represent knowing how to take care of whatever weapons he owns. He has never fired a gun in his life, and what little he knows about their use comes from playing Rainbow Six.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
My idea for using that art came from Martial Arts - what's the point of having a list of martial arts from all over the world if you don't use some of the less well known ones from time to time?

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
This build is assuming I get the 5 points for reluctant killer; if not, I can always drop a level each of nightvision and karate.

Edit: dropped the aforementioned five points worth of stuff.

Jacob Barnes, 25 year old mechanic

pre:
Attributes 40

ST: 10  HP:   10
DX: 11  Will: 11
IQ: 11  Per:  11
HT: 10  FP:   10

Disadvantages -27

Charitable (12 or less)     -15
Post Combat Shakes          -5
Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) -5

Quirks

Humble
Alcohol Intolerant

Advantages 21

Luck 1                 Free
Talent: Artificer 3    15
Night Vision 3         3

Perks

Style Familiarity - Tapak Suci Pencak Silat
Sure Footing - Uneven

Skills 30

Karate             DX/H    DX+0    12  4
Judo               DX/H    DX+0    11  4
Knife              DX/E    DX+1    12  2
Shortsword         DX/A    DX+0    11  2
Two Handed Sword   DX/A    DX+0    12  4

Armoury (Melee Weapons)    IQ/A    IQ+2    13  1
Computer Operation         IQ/E    IQ+0    11  1
First Aid                  IQ/E    IQ+0    11  1
Games (Chess)              IQ/E    IQ+0    11  1
Housekeeping               IQ/E    IQ+0    11  1
Mechanic (Cars)            IQ/A    IQ+2    13  1
Teaching                   IQ/A    IQ+1    12  4

Talents 16

Armbar (Judo)          Average Judo+1      12  1
Breakfall (Judo)       Average Judo+1      12  1
Counterattack (Karate) Hard    Karate-2    9  4
Low Fighting (Karate)  Hard    Karate+0    11  3
Kick (Karate)          Hard    Karate+0    11  3
Leg Kick (Karate)      Hard    Karate-1    10  2
Arm Punch (Karate)     Hard    Karate-1    10  2

hectorgrey fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 3, 2014

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jacob Barnes is a fairly serious young man who finds it really, really hard to ignore those in need. He's had a fairly normal, working class upbringing. He did fairly well in school, though he didn't get straight As, and he went straight into work rather than going on to college. His first employer was a friend of his father, a local car mechanic named Ray. As it happened, Jacob was actually really good at this job; he learned quickly and picked things up at first explanation. Ray's getting fairly close to retirement now, and he's looking at letting Jacob take over the shop.

When Jacob was in school, he wasn't the fittest or healthiest around, and between this and actually being good at a subject (shop), he got his fair share of bullying. As a result, his mother had him enrolled in a martial arts school run by her yoga guru, an Indonesian man that everybody just called Pete. Jacob has been studying that style since then, and has gotten pretty good at it. He even helps teach classes when Pete can't, but he loves his job as a mechanic too much to just give it up.

Jacob has had a few short term relationships; none has lasted longer than a year. He's currently dating a young woman named Gillian Cooper and, as the poo poo hits the fan in Times Square, that's who he's on his way to meet at a nice Thai restaurant nearby. He's wearing his best clothes (a nice looking suit bought from a charity shop), and he has some money (enough to pay for the meal out and a taxi home), ID, house keys and a cheap smart phone in his pockets. At his house, he has some good quality mechanics tools, some more durable (and more comfortable for running) clothing, all the things you'd expect to see in a standard kitchen and a bokken.

While I see Jacob probably picking up a kitchen knife or two, I don't imagine them lasting for too many fights, just because they aren't designed as weapons, and as such won't be as durable as a hunting knife or similar. The bokken is much more likely to end up being his weapon of choice.

• Locked thread