Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

June 2014 Schedule

June 5-7
MLB Draft

June 6
75th Anniversary of Little League Baseball

Middle-End of June
Super-Two deadline

It's June, your team probably sucks, but hey - so does everyone else in the AL/NL East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Gonna go see the Nationals/Giants game on the 12th. I love day games.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

gently caress the NL East :smith:

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
The Marlins still are 2nd in the NL with runs scored and I'm confused as heck!

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Liam "only three hits" Hendricks got optioned to Buffalo.

Pat Tabler weeps.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Harlock posted:

It's June, your team probably sucks, but hey - so does everyone else in the AL/NL East.

WRONG

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Mark Buehrle is going to start the all star game lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

vegeta dentata posted:

The Marlins still are 2nd in the NL with runs scored and I'm confused as heck!
I'm even more confused, that infield in particular is hitting way over their heads

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
Casey McGehee has 34 rbis. :psyboom:

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
McGehee pulling a Vogelsong is p cool.

In other Marlins news, Salty is out with a concussion. Instead of giving us the Jeff Mathis experience, the Marlins are calling up middle prospect JT Realmuto.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Mark Beuhrle has been like average or a bit better in every year of his career so far, if there was a Hall of Consistently Above Average he'd definitely be in it

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The Rangers are all but a bunch of zombies at this point and yet are still a game above .500. They also lead the majors in shutouts yet have also allowed the 4th most runs.

This is such a weird(and terrible)season.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Phillies are a dumpster fire.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hand Knit posted:

That will be interesting considering all the years he tormented the Twins.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Continuing competitive balance pick chat, the competitive balance picks are awarded with the following process:

1) Take the set of teams formed by the union of {10 smallest markets} and {10 lowest revenues}.
2) Select six in random order. These teams get a bonus pick after the first round.
3) Remove the selected teams and add in any that received revenue sharing this year.
4) Select six in random order. These teams get a bonus pick after the second round.

In the case of 2014, there were 7 teams that are both among the 10 smallest markets and 10 lowest revenue teams, which makes for an original set of 13. The Mariners also got revenue sharing, so they were added in step 3. So, 12 picks for 14 teams, and the A's and Reds got left out.

e: From a Pirates perspective, I like the trade. Morris has some potential to be a decent reliever, but his results are nowhere near where they need to be and he's now 27. The pick gives the Pirates 4 picks in the top ~75 and brings their draft pool from 21st to 13th. It does throw some previous decisions into question, like why they needed to try to pass Phil Irwin and Vin Mazzaro through waivers in the last week. The new draft pick will inherit from Morris his status as "last remnant of the Jason Bay trade," which turned out pretty bad for the Pirates despite being seen as excellent at the time.

It might be interesting to comp this trade to another Pirates/Marlins pick swap in 2012, which was Gorkys Hernandez + 33rd pick for Gaby Sanchez + Kyle Kaminska. I think the Pirates won both, though if the Marlins see a way to help Morris put it together then this one might change.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 2, 2014

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The Cardinals and Tigers have both received competitive balance picks, which, lol

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

News: The Mariners are at .500 in June
Views: :yotj:

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
This season is going to mean Mark Buehrle will be able to add "All star game starter" and "20 game winner" to the arguments to vote him into the hall of fame in 2021 and that's awesome.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
With May in the books, the Brewers are still on top of the NL Central. What fantasy world am I living in?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

DannoMack posted:

This season is going to mean Mark Buehrle will be able to add "All star game starter" and "20 game winner" to the arguments to vote him into the hall of fame in 2021 and that's awesome.

Mark Buehrle will still be pitching in 2021

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

MassaShowtime posted:

Mark Buehrle will still be pitching in 2121

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
in 2021 Mark Buehrle will be the only pitcher, as all other pitchers will be injured

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
Dickey obviously enrolled Buehrle in the "How to become an elite pitcher when your really old" course.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

DannoMack posted:

He already started the ASG in 2005

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Can someone explain to me why the giants are so successful right now? I'm not living in the bay area right now so its hard to consistently watch them play.

Is it just good pitching?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Harlock posted:

He already started the ASG in 2005

Then he's a lock!

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

GZA Genius posted:

Can someone explain to me why the giants are so successful right now? I'm not living in the bay area right now so its hard to consistently watch them play.

Is it just good pitching?

Nope! The pitching has been above average (the bullpen especially has been lockdown), but the offense has really taken off, with Micheal Morse leading the charge with a slash line of .295/.351/.574 and 11 homeruns. Also they've been insanely lucky with 2 outs. The team is also fourth in homers, with 63 overall.

In short, dingers, fairly good pitching, and luck.

Also Hudson have been pitching outta his mind.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ambassador of Funk posted:

In short, dingers, fairly good pitching, and luck.

Its the true recipe for success.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

It's why I like watching the Jays and hope for their continued success.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

MassaShowtime posted:

Its the true recipe for success.

"The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

--Earl Weaver

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Its strange that the best team in baseball doesn't have a single player hitting over .300.

E; I mentioned pitching because I saw Bumgardner torched may. And Hudson is rocking it.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

GZA Genius posted:

Its strange that the best team in baseball doesn't have a single player hitting over .300.

E; I mentioned pitching because I saw Bumgardner torched may. And Hudson is rocking it.

I think you're forgetting this sexy motherfucker.

.325/.365/.448 baby.

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
Angel Pagan is hitting .325 currently

e: f,b

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

.325/.365/.448 baby.

God he is so handsome

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Why can't you just flat-out poo poo-kick teams to the curb, Cleveland?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

GZA Genius posted:

Can someone explain to me why the giants are so successful right now?

Even year.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

I at first thought he was talking about the As. Who have Jaso hitting just over .300 but doesn't qualify for rate stats.

N: Angels are hopefully getting Hamilton back this Tuesday.

V: We'll probably send CJ "Mini-Trumbo" Cron back down and keep Raul Ibanez's veteran presence and .150 avg DH bat on the team.

Maybe they'll ditch Ibanez like they did their last awful slumping ancient lefty DH bat and it'll like 2012.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Red Sox just called up Garin Cecchini. If Drew gets back soon he won't be up for long, I would imagine.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

.325/.365/.448 baby.

Heaven truly is missing an Angel :swoon: :angel: :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Red Sox just called up Garin Cecchini. If Drew gets back soon he won't be up for long, I would imagine.
He was called up for today, played in the game, and was sent back down already

• Locked thread