Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

euphronius posted:

Appointment television

I met Talmage Boston in a Barnes and Noble a few years ago. He was really mad that nobody knew who he was, since he was there signing his "Baseball for the Baby Boomer" book. Bought one just so I could give it as a low-effort gift. Dude was a complete dickhead.

Wife was nice, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Is anyone else in a "my team is going to easily win a wildcard spot, but gently caress if I want to watch them do it" mood?

Hello there! I, too, am an ungrateful fan of a team likely to go to the playoffs!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Can someone please explain why the "Super Two" deadline doesn't creep later and later each year the same way that states try and gently caress with each other on voting first in a primary?

As I understand Super Two, there's no "deadline," but rather a generally accepted guideline of when a rookie, if called up, wouldn't have enough service time remaining in the year to be in the top x% of rookies that year.

Given that, wouldn't a bunch of teams all be reluctant to make the first promotion, since it's to their advantage to wait for all the other teams to move first?

Is it just that there are enough teams with deep enough pockets/immediate competitive needs that they don't care about gaming Super Two?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

e: Delmon Dogg! gently caress I forgot he was traded for Garza

LaTroy Hawkins has been a superb reliever for years and if you take out his numbers as a MIN starter, he's even better.

Also,

IcePhoenix posted:

Teams only care about super two status with the prospects that are supposed to be really good and make a bunch of money in arb. When the Twins called up Michael Tonkin in April they didn't give a poo poo because if/when he hits super two he'll make like 750k instead of 500k. If George Springer hits super two then he'll be making 5-ish million (I think? Someone else will know better what he'd hit in Arb1 if he plays up to expectations).

So the reason Super Two doesn't constantly get later is because all the org filler prospects keep getting called up at a normal rate.

duh, of course. Thanks.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Well if we're counting guys that were traded to the Twins, then Joe Nathan makes the list.

e: AJP and Lohse are originals!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'm sure that'll work out great

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ForbiddenWonder posted:

I just got MLB.tv for $50 bucks, i'm beyond pumped. Gonna OD on baseball for the rest of the season. It seems like the app for the PS4 is a piece of poo poo, I can't get it to output HD at all. Anyone else have some experience with this? My PS4 is wired directly so that shouldn't be a problem.

Mlb.tv on 360 loving sucks this year too.mi suspect your ps4 problem is less to do with you and more to do with a poo poo product.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Politicalrancor posted:

im honestly not sure what's better, the ineptitude of clerical work or ineptitude of player evaluation. Probably the latter.

The pirates forgot to protect a bunch of players in the rule v draft some years back and other gms were literally laughing at their ineptitude as they plundered.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

How is this not Tim and eric

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Mugwump posted:

What number were people expecting for Machado? Comparing his suspension to pitcher suspensions is being willfully obtuse if you have even the slightest idea of how baseball is played. What's the longest non drug related suspension ever?

Cueto got 7 games for kicking Jason Larue in the head, allegedly ending his career. (allegedly because while I'm sure the concussion is a Big loving Deal, I rather doubt Jason Larue had much MLB time left anyway).

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Well, uh...

Tyler Lyons probably only needs 1 more rehab start before he's available?

gently caress. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Is Cespedes a lovely outfielder or not? Both of the highlights I've seen show a ridiculous arm that he wouldn't have needed to use had he not flubbed the ball in the first place.

Reminds me of watching Rick Ankiel in the outfield.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

stuart scott irl posted:

Ruben Amaro was in the Phils TV booth today and they were talking about how Rollins was going to tie Mike Schmidt in hits. Ruben noted that Rollins was doing this in about 1,000 less plate appearances, and then said, on live TV, that their batting averages were about the same, which was weird, and he didn't quite understand that.

Ruben Amaro doesn't know the difference between plate appearances and at bats.

edit:

This is amazing.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tadashi posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of GMs we think are really good are actually just really lucky.

I would. We don't think that many GMs are really good.

Like...who's on that list? Billy Beane? John Mozeliak? Friedman?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Scob posted:

cards sent oscar t back down im pretty sad about it

Well Jon jays gotta play

No really his like .750 ops is needed.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Neodoomium posted:

Can we fire Dombrowski yet

How dare he engineer a tigers team that will win the central

The fister trade was terrible. The fielder trade surprisingly good.

Oh and the tigers have been World Series contenders for years.

So, uh...why do you want to fire him?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Crion posted:

Honestly you could hear the warning signs around Joe Nathan all the way up from Texas, the Rangers tried to give him away while they were still clinging to Wild Card hope and then when that didn't work basically told him to stop coming to work. If the fact that he's 39 or that he's lost 2 MPH off his fastball over the last couple years didn't spoil me on him, Ron Washington losing faith in him sure did. Like, when does Ron Washington ever NOT like old dudes? Exactly

What am I missing here? Nathan's usage in August and September seems virtually identical to every other month other than last season, and the worst ERA he posted in any month was 2.25.

I barely follow the AL at all, and certainly not the Rangers, but his usage and performance seems to indicate that the Rangers had no problem using him all season, and that he was great when they did.

So...what gives?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Infidel Castro posted:

Sacrifice flys are counted in OBP despite not counting as an AB.

and bunts

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

mentholmoose posted:

Sac bunts aren't. I think the reasoning was it's a managerial decision for the most part, so they aren't counted against a player.

Well poo poo. I did not know that. Today I learned something!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tony Phillips posted:

Grandma was awesome.
http://www.webcitation.org/5yvmTYCkx

He got his name because his grandmother liked unique and unusual things and, with a last name of Million, she wanted her grandson to stand out. She talked his parents into naming him Ten for that reason. When the daughter of Ten and Christine was born, the grandmother bribed Christine with $50 into naming her Decillian Million for the same reason. Later on, Decillian began to use the name Dixie but in her early years she was known as Decillian Million, daughter of Ten Million.

Man, I'd hate to be named "Dicks a Million" which is exactly what that would have sounded like.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

TenaciousJ posted:

Has anyone been to a game at Nationals park? I'm going to my first game there tomorrow. I have seats 3-4 rows back from the visitors dugout.

E: is there anything notable I should know or go check out?

There is a surprisingly good vegetarian/vegan cart right by your seats.

Bens chili bowl and shake shack are overrated.

If you want a good place to hang out before and after, eastern market is walkable and has cool bars and restaurants. Matchbox, in particular, is very good pizza, and the tapas place is good too.

Taking the metro to the park is fine. Taking the metro away is not. Walk to capital south or eastern market, may have a margarita at tortilla coast.

Yes, I know I mostly suggested stuff external to nats park, but the fact is that nats park kinda sucks for a new ballpark. Like...it is leaps and bounds better than rfk, but as parks built in the last ten years go, it blows.

You will have a good time though. Those seats you have rule.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

zakharov posted:

Michael Wacha and Jaime Garcia hitting the DL with some sort of shoulder injuries.

:rip:

Well...that sucks. Garcia's shoulder was always a ticking time bomb but I hope wacha doesn't have anything serious

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

How many players have been hit in the face vs. hit in the head? I feel like your last reaction on a ball to the face would be to turn and turtle, and make it more likely you'd get hit where the hat would do some good.

I really have no idea though.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

toe knee hand posted:

Oh, so Wacha wasn't just skipping a start to save him for the playoffs.

Shocking.

I am shocked.

I legit believe the cards didn't see this coming.

But thank goodness wacha didn't loving break his arm while pitching.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Glad it worked out for you. Nice weather today, too. Usually muggy as poo poo this time of year.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

IcePhoenix posted:

It's probably an awful lot of information for it to stream through even a 4G connection.

He said listen, so I assume he means audio, which really shouldn't be that difficult. Like...Pandora behaves itself just fine without wifi.

I have a terrible time with it too, but it usually behaves itself if you switch onto/off of (whatever the non-default is) shoutcast. Then I can get like 20 minutes at a time before I have to gently caress around again.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Is Ernesto Frieri an insane person like Jason Grilli?

Because Grilli is crazy as poo poo and incredibly entertaining

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

It is just an elaborate setup to troll kershaw, who went 0-4 against the cards last year.

Including like giving up three xbh to pete kozma

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

lmao I forgot about that

it's also probably not even like one of the dumbest 100 Things Written About Sports that year.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

bawfuls posted:

Thanks for the anti-jinx! I had a great time at the game yesterday watching Kershaw strike out 13 and the Dodgers offense come alive for 6 runs.

Happy to help.

...my goodness the Cardinals are weird this year. I still enjoy watching this squad more than the various "ok, we'll lead through 7 innings but then the bullpen will completely poo poo the bed" squads we've had over the last decade.

Plus I'm pretty sure the Cards will still make the playoffs, and if Wacha's shoulder doesn't tear off or whatever, could make some noise.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

That's the frustrating thing, though. I have no idea how you fix a poo poo offense that is comprised of dudes who were key components of a non-poo poo offense in the recent past.

Molina's irreplaceable, and even if he regresses to 2007-2010 offensive levels, that's still a loving good catcher.

Carpenter hasn't replicated his 2013 season, but .280/.370/.380 seems perfectly acceptable from a 3b, and very good if he's playing 2b.

Peralta rules, and is surprisingly good at defense, too. He's arguably the 2nd-most-valuable shortstop in the NL. Even if he weren't, he's signed for another 3 years, so he's not going anywhere.

2b is a black hole; hopefully Kolten Wong gets healthy soon. Descalso will almost certainly be non-tendered after the season, and Ellis walks after this season. So there's room for improvement there (or at 3b, if you shift Carpenter over, I guess).

Matt Adams rules and is fat. He probably should be platooned, I guess.

Matt Holliday is making a shitload of money through the end of 2016. Maybe his age is catching up with him; I don't know. He's not coming out of the lineup, anyway.

Bourjos sucks, and Jon Jay can hit you a nice empty .300. Definite room for improvement there.

I think Allen Craig may be broken. He hasn't had power since August 2012.

Oscar Taveras probably solves ONE of the corner outfield problems; apparently he's completely lost in CF.

So that leaves "improve 2b, fix CF, find a platoon partner for Adams."

There's no good solutions on the free agent market unless you pay Hanley a shitload of money and move Carpenter to 2nd.

Thankfully, I'm pretty sure John Mozeliak is clever enough to figure something out where Random Forums Poster can't. But holy poo poo this is a tough problem to solve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tadashi posted:

Adam Wainwright has a higher OBP right now than Allen Craig. Baseball.

It must be frustrating to be Jon Jay. He doesn't play himself in center field, is perfectly serviceable outfielder, but people keep trying to find ways to replace him.

Jay's fine as a 4th outfielder, or as a starting CF if the OFs flanking him can make up for the fact that he's not very good defensively. Dude has a career OBP north of .350, I think. He's valuable.

But he's also entering his 2nd arb year, and I'm not sure it's worth it to pay a 1-tool player arb2 money. I like Jon Jay a lot, but I'd totally understand if the Cards went in a different direction after the season.

In other news, scroll to the bottom of the page here:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/split.cgi?t=b&lg=MLB&year=2014

why the gently caress are there stats for a 4-2 count, and only 1 such plate appearance. Did some ump gently caress up somewhere and lose track of the count?

• Locked thread