Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's 5/$9.5 with three team options that could bring it to 8/$35.

I'm going to be at the game where he debuts :toot: So excited

Man if he pans out that's worse than the Evan Longoria deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Crion posted:

What do you mean by "panning out" here, because he's going to have to do far more than be a serviceable/MLB average 1B for that deal to be better team value than Longoria's first buyout contract

This is true. Singleton hasn't played a single game at the major league level so yeah it's a bit early to make a statement like that

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

After all the Grossman and Peacock callups I'm a bit overly excited to first see Springer and now Singleton, the guys who are actually expected to make something of themselves are arriving! Give me a break here, I haven't had anything to be excited about for years now

Well, except Cosart I guess

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Pussy Boss posted:

SECOND BASE
1. Robinson Cano, Mariners: 726,158
2. Ian Kinsler, Tigers: 649,926
3. Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox: 540,515
4. Brian Dozier, Twins: 360,089
5. Howie Kendrick, Angels: 247,353

Altuve :(

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No way, Jason Lane is pitching in the majors? Last I heard he was pitching (and an ace) for the independent league Sugarland Skeeters

Also look at this loving first pitch from Robocop. Embarassing

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24579965/video-robocop-throws-out-the-first-pitch-in-detroit

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

Surely this will lead to Tracy McGrady, future MLBer??

Also :neckbeard: yay Jon Singleton homered in his debut

Also two strikeouts and two errors :pwn: But hey, baby steps! Springer had a ton of errors when he came up too, could be nerves

canadianclassic posted:

They could have at least got some college pitcher or someone who could throw a decent strike from the mound. That's just embarassing.

Although to be fair, it's probably hard as gently caress to throw in that suit

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

This is your reminder that Jon Singleton was traded by Ruben Amaro for one year of Hunter Pence. Thank you

Domingo Santana was the PBTNL in that trade, and according to a "Philly official" he was included on the list of available players by accident. Amaro denies it's true though

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

LordPants posted:

And the Devil Rays lost Josh Hamilton in the rule 5 draft too.

There was one extremely angry Rays fan here who was always fuming about the success he found after leaving the Rays

The second grand slam the Astros hit today was Jon Singleton, and he mashed the gently caress out of it. Great swing, great batflip

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_06_08_houmlb_minmlb_1&mode=video&content_id=33559125&tcid=vpp_copy_33559125

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

From today's Twins broadcast of the Twins/Astros game

"I believe he'll make short work of Singleton"

*Singleton demolishes the ball for a grand slam*

"Oh jeez..."

http://instagram.com/p/o_8M2Mhes4

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros haven't lost a series since the May 19-21 series against the Angels, I know that's not that long ago but it's really exciting compared to the last few years

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Wait are those actual announcers? Why would you ever make such a stupid homer prediction as an announcer?

It was Tom Kelly, I don't think he's their normal color guy and was just a guest in the booth

Intruder fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 9, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

It wouldn't shock me at all if they didn't finish last this year the way they're playing right now.

Last in the division? Because they're already pretty comfortably out of last in baseball

(he says in early June)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Tom Kelly is way better than Bert in basically any regard and that includes baseball analysis. he just happened to get that one really wrong in a one at bat sample size :shrug:

Yeah I'm not saying Kelly is horrible or anything, I just thought it was hilarious timing

God that Singleton can sure mash the ball

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Springer has a higher SO rate than Chris Carter though. Hopefully he can get that under control

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

But Manny being Manny was him being a lovable goof not a raging rear end in a top hat :smith:

I could totally see "Manny being Manny" including spectacularly failing to throw your bat in the direction of the mound after a brushback

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Man I forgot how bad those calls were that lead to the Lawrie incident

The first was bad but the second was just atrocious, absolutely reeked of the umpire sticking it to Lawrie for "showing him up" by trotting to first

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Still better than NFL suspensions :v:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No one is classier than Cardinals fans just ask any Cardinals fan

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FairGame posted:

I would. We don't think that many GMs are really good.

Like...who's on that list? Billy Beane? John Mozeliak? Friedman?

Luhnow :v:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jon Singleton has some pop

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I really wish the Astros were still in the NL.

Me too :(

:golfclap:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 13, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Reminder that Singleton and Springer were both Ed Wade acquisitions :v:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

leokitty posted:

Springer was drafted by Wade.

And taken ahead of Jose Fernandez. Ed Wade! :argh:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Moving out of the city to keep the poors away

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jon Singleton had another homer today, unfortunately this time it was a cheapie to the Crawford Boxes so no point in posting a video/gif

365 ft true distance, pathetic compared to his previous 411, 392 and 429. DFA the man

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I wonder what Carlos Correa is up to, maybe they'll call him up to AA soo-

:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

Sustained a possibly serious ankle or leg injury sliding into third on a triple

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Carlos Correa has a broken fibula and is out for the year :qq:

All from getting his spikes caught on third base. Time to start a campaign for breakaway bases in the minors!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Storm posted:

J.D. Martinez since the beginning of this month:

.369/.382/.815

(he's totally the next Boesch)

In the 3 days the forums were down, V-Mart now has 2 more Ks than HRs (22-20) :(

Chris Johnson did the same thing when he first got to Arizona (well, not quite that hot), it appears that guys are so happy to get out of Houston they just start tearing the cover off the ball

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Even as a fan of a team now in the AL I still think the DH is garbage :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Still? The Astros have gone like 2-9 in their last 11 or something like that, how is that possible?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zakharov posted:

http://m.astros.mlb.com/hou/video/t...t_id%3D34178203

RIP this baseball, brutally murdered by George Springer.

Seriously just close your eyes and listen to the crack.

Funny time for this to happen given the current discussion

(I'd still have made the Giancarlo trade)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

How's his batting average? He could be the new Mark Reynolds.

.245/.353/.482 slash line

He swings as hard as he can every time he swings so yeah he might be

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Springer also got off to a somewhat slow start. After his first 12 games his slash was .170/.264/.213

Since then, over the last 53 games it's been .263/.373/.545 which yeah isn't Stantonesque but he's been very good over that time frame

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MourningView posted:

Springer is also a really good athlete so he can provide value beyond his hitting, which isn't true for the other guys y'all are comparing him too.

Isn't Stanton a pretty elite fielder?

I keep bringing him up obviously because of the leaked stuff

e: You're probably referring to the Reynolds comparisons though

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MourningView posted:

Stanton is fine, I meant the people comparing him to Mark Reynolds and poo poo like that.

Well I wouldn't say a Stanton comparison is fine, but for the opposite reason of why a Reynolds comparison isn't fine :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

tadashi posted:

What's funny is Springer is 2 months older than Stanton.

E: For accuracy

Yeah it wasn't Springer's inclusion that would have killed that deal

Though Springer is going to be cheaper and for longer than Stanton, who's due a huge payday right at the time the Astros are hoping to be entering the conversation for contention.

Who knows, maybe they can make a play for him on the open market :v:

• Locked thread