Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hand Knit posted:

Mark Buehrle is going to start the all star game lol

That will be interesting considering all the years he tormented the Twins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

GZA Genius posted:

Can someone explain to me why the giants are so successful right now?

Even year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dozier turned a pretty cool 4-3 double play yesterday if you haven't seen it:

http://m.mlb.com/video/v33370293/must-c-clips-brian-dozier-turns-amazing-double-play

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jerkface posted:

Are the Twins teaching Hughes any secondary pitches? I know that throwing 95% fastball is enough to stop the Yankees, but surely his luck will run out vs the rest of the majors without a useful offspeed pitch. His curve looked as lovely as ever and I read in ST that the twins ditched his slider.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx?playerid=7450&position=P&type=6&gds=&gde=&season=2014

It apparently also works against Boston and Detroit :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What the hell is a cheer card?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Antifreeze Head posted:

Who are the other two?

The Yankees and Red Sox get to enter twice.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Justin Morneau starting the ASG in Target Field for the NL would be the biggest kick to the balls :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

Morneau is total Coors field though. It's not like hed have those Numbers in Target.

You're trying to apply logic to sports fans.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

I have a feeling Wright will win the NL 3B slot in the end. Ballot stuffing seems to still be working, though.

Wright will win the NL 3B starting spot when a sudden influx of votes from South Korea come in at the last minute.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Next week they're getting the guy from Deus Ex to throw it out

Did they ask him or are they just making him show up?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FairGame posted:

Can someone please explain why the "Super Two" deadline doesn't creep later and later each year the same way that states try and gently caress with each other on voting first in a primary?

As I understand Super Two, there's no "deadline," but rather a generally accepted guideline of when a rookie, if called up, wouldn't have enough service time remaining in the year to be in the top x% of rookies that year.

Given that, wouldn't a bunch of teams all be reluctant to make the first promotion, since it's to their advantage to wait for all the other teams to move first?

Is it just that there are enough teams with deep enough pockets/immediate competitive needs that they don't care about gaming Super Two?

Teams only care about super two status with the prospects that are supposed to be really good and make a bunch of money in arb. When the Twins called up Michael Tonkin in April they didn't give a poo poo because if/when he hits super two he'll make like 750k instead of 500k. If George Springer hits super two then he'll be making 5-ish million (I think? Someone else will know better what he'd hit in Arb1 if he plays up to expectations).

So the reason Super Two doesn't constantly get later is because all the org filler prospects keep getting called up at a normal rate.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DoctaFun posted:

This would actually be awesome, if there was an entire all-star team of Minnesota Twins castaways. Who is there besides Ortiz/Morneau/Liriano/Garza?

Cuddyer was an all-star (and in the dinger derby) last year. Hunter was an all-star for the Angels and Tigers.

I don't know that they count as castaways though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LaTroy Hawkins was a superb reliever in Minnesota, too, when he wasn't closing.

tadashi posted:

Don't forget JJ Hardy.

On that note, I didn't even notice Gomez wasn't on the original list because he's as obvious as Ortiz :negative:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Politicalrancor posted:

You could field a pretty competent team of Ex Twins.

To be fair you could probably do this for a lot of teams.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Politicalrancor posted:

Yeah but twins fans use the "No One Wants To Play Here" excuse the most outside of basketball fans

1: I'm not sure how that's relevant, and 2: I'm not sure I've heard that before. At least not to the extent that would classify it as more than any other fanbase that does it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Everblight posted:

We should have a mascot draft.

TC Bear first overall pick because DINGERS

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Anybody placing bets on the eventual destination of Kendrys Morales? I'm worried there might actually be a mystery team and that mystery team might be the A's.

Yankees or Rangers would be my guess.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Explosionface posted:

Second question: if he goes to the Rangers, how long until he hits the DL?

I did a quick google before I posted to see if there were any rumored teams that made more sense to me (or if I was missing an obvious one) and one of the first hits was a team requesting his medical records so I guess maybe a month.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Twins literally have five starting pitchers in AAA that are better/can't be worse than Kevin Correia and they refuse to replace him and it makes me sad. Three of them are even on the 40 man roster!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wait

zakharov posted:

Kendrys Morales signs with...the Twins????

WHAT?

quote:

‏@JonHeymanCBS

Kendrys Morales reached agreement with the #Twins

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mks5000 posted:

Now they might win 75 games!

I think Morales is worth more than -2 wins, though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bob Shabazz posted:

Basically the only position Minnesota doesn't need to fill is 1B/DH so, okay then.

Not accurate, our DH has been terrible after Colabello came back to earth (and AAA).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bob Shabazz posted:

It seems like a waste of Josmil Pinto to reduce him to backup catcher, especially since he can't catch.

It's a waste to keep pitching Kevin Correia too but I'm evaluating it from a "what they actually do" standpoint, not "what everyone thinks they should do."

Rosenthal says that it's a one year deal with money similar to Drew.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

All I can definitively say is that if they try to spin this as trying to be competitive and Correia makes another start then they're full of it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't see why not. They just wouldn't get a draft pick.

They can't get a draft pick anyway.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

a rowdy mullet posted:

The Mariners are 4 games over .500. In June :suspense:

He's not hitting dingers but in the last 30 days Cano is hitting nearly .400 so that probably helps.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

Tom Kelly, manager of the 1987 and 1991 World Series-winning Minnesota Twins.

Honestly, I'd probably pick Perkins in any similar situation, but I'm not saying poo poo after a HBP to load the bases. That's just dumb. And yeah, Kelly isn't their normal color guy, that's usually Hall of Famer Bert Blyleven, who also makes some really, really dumb predictions. But he's also Bert Blyleven, so I'll let it slide.

Tom Kelly is way better than Bert in basically any regard and that includes baseball analysis. he just happened to get that one really wrong in a one at bat sample size :shrug:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

Honestly, my only complaint about Kelly in the booth is that he's so incredibly passive all the time. That "Oh jeez" is probably the most animated I've ever heard him. It's like listening to Garrison Keillor in the booth. But to each his own.

I think Bert talks too much is all. When he actually analyzes (especially pitching) he can be really good but

Harlock posted:

The biggest skill is staying quiet to let the action unfold at the right moments as opposed to just dead air.

he's really bad at this. Kelly is pretty softspoken but generally when he opens his mouth he has something worthwhile to say.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Yeah I'm not saying Kelly is horrible or anything, I just thought it was hilarious timing

God that Singleton can sure mash the ball

On Friday or Saturday (I forget) Springer hit an opposite field bomb to right field over the wall that was even more impressive, imo.

Astros future lookin good.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

But Manny being Manny was him being a lovable goof not a raging rear end in a top hat :smith:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rand alPaul posted:

The number 1 and 2 worst GMs in baseball are so loving delusional. Working for them must be like the last days in Hitler's bunker.

"Yes, of course, AJ Burnett is the last piece of the puzzle!"

MLB July N/V - Like working in Hitler's bunker

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cole posted:

Joe Maddon brought in a witch doctor or something to try and turn the rays fortunes around. The espn comment section is actually pretty funny.

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=11056541

If they don't get a soundclip of the DotA2 Witch Doctor shouting "Look at it go!" for when they hit dingers they are missing out on a huge opportunity.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ok then

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Screen Door Slams posted:

N: Matt Harvey grew facial hair and is sitting next to Jimmy Fallon at tonight's hockey game.

V: Shave. Now.

don't listen to the stupid Yankees fan, Matt

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Infidel Castro posted:

I'd take him over Kevin Correia. Make it happen, Terry.

What? No gently caress that just call up one of these guys they'll be better and cost like 500 times less.

IcePhoenix posted:

The Twins literally have five starting pitchers in AAA that are better/can't be worse than Kevin Correia and they refuse to replace him and it makes me sad. Three of them are even on the 40 man roster!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

YodaTFK posted:

You realize they're just going to call up Scott Diamond again, right?

Also who is Yohan Pino and is he for real?

I don't think Diamond is on the 40 man anymore. May, Johnson, and Darnell are the three that are, I believe. I think the latter two have made spot starts for the Twns this year because doubleheaders.

I have no idea and probably not.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr. Cool rear end posted:

Just once I want to see 4th of July hats that shoot real fireworks.

The Orioles one does if you pitch inside to Manny Machado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rand alPaul posted:

Pineda got 10 games for pine tar :laugh:

That's because there is an actual rule that say the minimum suspension is ten games for that.

• Locked thread