Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I use a wheelchair, so I can't vacuum the floors etc. I also have a dog (corgi) that sheds and has the rare accident.
What kind of Roomba should I get? I know next to nothing about these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
You should get a Neato instead, especially if you like nice vacuum lines in carpet.

They're also on sale on woot.com all the time it seems, its where I got mine.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Frinkahedron posted:

You should get a Neato instead, especially if you like nice vacuum lines in carpet.

They're also on sale on woot.com all the time it seems, its where I got mine.

Thanks a bunch. Any suggestion on models? I'm seeing a bunch of different ones. Which one do you have? What are you experiences with it?

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
I got the xv pro (i think...) It is the animal hair version. I'm happy with it, easy to set up and reasonably smart. Loud, but not exceptionally so. The big issue is that it is really...aggressive...

It tries to shove itself under our couch and gets stuck some places. You'll need to pick up rugs and have a reasonably clean floor. They sell extra magnetic strips that are used to block out from areas...get the extra roll, or two if you have lots of obstacles. Once you find out where it gets stuck, you'll see what you need to do to optimize it. It takes one run, a charge cycle and a bit more to finish up about 1500 sq ft. Does well on carpet and tile. Picks up lots of dirt.

Got mine from bed bath and beyond because of their good return policy and 20% coupon. They do break sometimes, so keep that in mind.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
It's not a vacuum, it's a sweeper - there's no suction, just brushes.

They work really great on hard floors (tile, wood, vinyl, concrete, etc), and less good on carpet.

I have a Roomba and swear by it, I don't know how I could live in a 2,000sf house without one.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I live in a 650 sqft apartment, I can't clean though. It's kind of a health hazard.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

photomikey posted:

It's not a vacuum, it's a sweeper - there's no suction, just brushes.

They work really great on hard floors (tile, wood, vinyl, concrete, etc), and less good on carpet.

So what do they actually do? Just push all the dust/pet hair/etc somewhere for you to sweep/vacuum up later? I just moved into an apartment with all hardwood flooring so it sounds like something that might be convenient for me to get.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

It is a vacuum. It does indeed suck stuff up off carpet, tile, etc. the neato that i have picks up a TON of stuff. That being said, they are expensive and maybe overkill if you have a small place and aren't disabled. I have a ton of room to clean so it is worth it to me.

Tysn
Jan 15, 2008
I've had a roomba 770 for about a year now, and it's really nice. By far the best thing about the robot vacuums are that they scheduled to run automatically. I have mine set to vacuum Mon-Fri in the afternoon while I'm at work, so all of the floors are being cleaned 5 days a week without having to do anything or even listen to it vacuum.

Frinkahedron posted:

I think the random behavior of the roomba is sort of an advantage, as it will continually make multiple passes at different angles to clean thoroughly. It takes a long time, although if you schedule it as above it doesn't really matter if takes 1-2 hours to clean the area. However I can see the value if you can't schedule it, as if you have to be around it you don't want to listen to it bump into things for a few hours.

I can't speak for pets, but I'd be paranoid about something like this happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbOqsp3oUQI. Since if you're not there to watch it nothing is going to stop it from smearing poo poo all over the house. I'm assuming pet owners run it manually? Or keep the pets out of the area it's scheduled to vacuum.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Tysn posted:

I've had a roomba 770 for about a year now, and it's really nice. By far the best thing about the robot vacuums are that they scheduled to run automatically. I have mine set to vacuum Mon-Fri in the afternoon while I'm at work, so all of the floors are being cleaned 5 days a week without having to do anything or even listen to it vacuum.

I think the random behavior of the roomba is sort of an advantage, as it will continually make multiple passes at different angles to clean thoroughly. It takes a long time, although if you schedule it as above it doesn't really matter if takes 1-2 hours to clean the area. However I can see the value if you can't schedule it, as if you have to be around it you don't want to listen to it bump into things for a few hours.

I can't speak for pets, but I'd be paranoid about something like this happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbOqsp3oUQI. Since if you're not there to watch it nothing is going to stop it from smearing poo poo all over the house. I'm assuming pet owners run it manually? Or keep the pets out of the area it's scheduled to vacuum.

Crate training would make this a non-issue.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Can the Roomba handle multiple room? Like if I set it off in the living room, will it eventually get to the rest of the appartment in its bouncing around? I there a way to make sure it doesn't just wander out of a room and leave it unfinished?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Can the Roomba handle multiple room? Like if I set it off in the living room, will it eventually get to the rest of the appartment in its bouncing around? I there a way to make sure it doesn't just wander out of a room and leave it unfinished?

Most Roomba models will come with "virtual walls" which are basically just little laser eye thingamabobs that tell the Roomba, "No bro, don't cross through this doorway." You can set them up in a way that a Roomba can't leave a room and thus will do a better job of cleaning it. Also it'll run out of battery way, way before it does your whole house/apartment, so your best bet if you don't want to think about it is to get one that comes with the automatic docking/charging station and have it run every day or every few days. That way it'll get a little bit of every room eventually. Roombas aren't really smart despite what the ads lead you to believe, they just bump around randomly. They don't "know" if they've finished a room or not.

One thing to know about Roombas is that their batteries will be worthless after a year of average cleaning, and 3-6 months of daily cleaning. Replacement batteries are like $70 for brand name, or about $30 for knockoffs. You'll also need to replace the filter pretty regularly, especially if you have pets. Maintaining a Roomba is about the same price as buying a cheap vacuum every year.

e: Also, if you have a thick rug it'll get stuck on it. I have a rug that's maybe 3/4 of an inch thick, an half the time that the Roomba tries to climb up it it'll high center and run itself to death.
e2: Also also, you have to be really careful about not leaving anything on the floor or else it'll suck it up and get stuck on things. Cords hanging down on the ground or socks under your bed will knock it out of commission until you come home and find it playing its little "I'm dead" tune.

kedo fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 3, 2014

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
What are the difference between the different roomba models, other than hundreds of dollars?

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

A robot vacuum is excellent incentive to keep your floor clean...otherwise it will eat something or get stuck. My neato tried to slice through a phone charger cord.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

FrozenVent posted:

The Neato can. It'll map out the maximum extent it can get to in the room it starts out in, then finish that room before exiting the door to go to the next area where it repeats the process. If it runs out of power before it can finish, it'll go back to its charging station, then continue where it left off when it's recharged (and will also return home once its done to recharge fully). You don't have to leave the room or anything while it's doing its thing, it can tell the difference between you walking by it vs actual objects to avoid.

It can also be bounded off with a magnetic strip that you can lay down on the floor, comes in a big 20 foot roll that you can cut down to size if you want.

(The Neato uses SLAM to do its mapping, but I went to grad school for robotics, so I get more of a kick out of a semi-smart robot vacuum than most people. :haw: I'd still recommend one to all my friends.)

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I've got a neato, and a friend has a roomba (her mom has a neato as well). Consensus vote is that neato does a better job, faster, more consistently. Cheaper too, depending on if you go for the top of the line roomba vs top neato.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Beastyfella posted:

It is a vacuum. It does indeed suck stuff up off carpet, tile, etc. the neato that i have picks up a TON of stuff. That being said, they are expensive and maybe overkill if you have a small place and aren't disabled. I have a ton of room to clean so it is worth it to me.
A vacuum creates... vacuum. Suction. The Roomba does not. It sweeps dirt into it's attached bin, which you empty into the trash.

On hardwood, to me, this makes little difference. In carpet, it's a different story.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

photomikey posted:

A vacuum creates... vacuum. Suction. The Roomba does not. It sweeps dirt into it's attached bin, which you empty into the trash.

On hardwood, to me, this makes little difference. In carpet, it's a different story.

Seriously? Wow that is a huge negative then compared to the neato, which actually vacuums...

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

Beastyfella posted:

Seriously? Wow that is a huge negative then compared to the neato, which actually vacuums...

Apparently, the later models have some sort of a suction technology but not as good as Neato's.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The Roomba definitely vacuums. It's not just sweeping stuff. Granted I also wouldn't really recommend one unless you have a couple hundred bucks you want to waste. Unless the neato is just mind bogglingly effective, your dream of having a robot house cleaner is not yet reality.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

The neato is pretty darn effective, but i wouldn't want to have it as the only vacuum in the house due to the limitations of any robot vacuum.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Valicious posted:

I use a wheelchair, so I can't vacuum the floors etc. I also have a dog (corgi) that sheds and has the rare accident.
What kind of Roomba should I get? I know next to nothing about these things.

Have you looked into a small battery powered vacuum? Dyson makes a few that are well regarded and I have a little one from Makita that I love. If you have the mobility to use it something like this:

might work so clean a smallish place.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

bunnielab posted:

Have you looked into a small battery powered vacuum? Dyson makes a few that are well regarded and I have a little one from Makita that I love. If you have the mobility to use it something like this:

might work so clean a smallish place.

This looks really cool. I couldn't use it though since I can't use my hands either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have/had a neato and love it, but have had no other robot vacuums to compare. I don't have a neato right now because THE THIRD NEATO I HAD SENT TO ME (all 3 were in warranty) died just after it got out of warranty. When it worked I considered it the best purchase of the last 2 years: we have cats and they spend time under the bed which is hard to get at. I love the neato and it cleaned really, really well but it's just unreliable and breaky (this is the first editions of it, the normal, the pet hair version and the some slightly upgraded model but not XV or the newest kind). Things that went wrong:
-never docking/charging properly, after a few months. When it loses all charge you have to reprogram it. this is the main error
-updated firmware and from then on battery life went from 30 mins to 5 mins.
current problem: lidar does not spin up at all, so it cycles up the engine then dies. Neato said I could send it to them for repair and it'd cost 34 bux. If it's too expensive to repair they'll sell me a cheaper refurbished one. At this point I don't loving know since I don't like buying things I know will break really soon.

edit: I bought the neato in May 2011 and the 3rd replacement died around December 2013. I bought battery replacements ($70) once.

• Locked thread