Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I'm just going to go ahead and say that the cold war campaign was the best of those risk-map ones. Nuke the Americans, nuke the Russians, nuke Australia! Sure, you lose, probably, but it's fun as all hell to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The Armageddon counter in normal matches was an interesting feature, although it did allow one player to just force "haha gently caress you we all lose" if he had enough nukes and was going down anyway.

...that player was usually me

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010
And launched

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
It's live, hooray ! I've set up a group at http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rongoons. Send me a message and I'll let you in.

EvilHobo
Dec 28, 2008
It has been, well, almost a decade since I played this game and all I really remember is "your arrogant nation must be crushed before it is too late!" Even though somewhere in my home there are the CDs for this game, I might pick up the Steam version just for the hell of it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

EvilHobo posted:

It has been, well, almost a decade since I played this game and all I really remember is "your arrogant nation must be crushed before it is too late!" Even though somewhere in my home there are the CDs for this game, I might pick up the Steam version just for the hell of it.

Basically have to get the Steam version if you want multiplayer. It's easily my favorite single player / coop RTS ever (I like AoM a bit better for competitive multiplayer). I had so much fun with this game back in the day -- coop'ing 2 vs 5 hard AIs with very slow + expensive tech made for epic 3 hour+ games.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

So the data folder is like it was in the CD version. Modding the game should be a piece of cake.

Oh, and if anyone wants to see what the game is like, I'm streaming for a bit : http://www.twitch.tv/quantumcycle .

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
DEY KEEP ON RIIIISIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNN'. loving best game ever, Rise of Nations. Best. Ever. I used to play with the Goons all the time, back when RoN was new and then when T&P launched and all. God, such great times.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Has anyone tried to slow setting yet? Does it still just straight up slow down the animations and everything?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
How does the 'new full-screen anti-aliasing' look? Can't tell in the twitch stream.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

Note to self : a 8 player free for all on big huge with expensive and slow techs will take a lot of time. It was a loving nuclear apocalypse out there. Fun times.

splifyphus posted:

How does the 'new full-screen anti-aliasing' look? Can't tell in the twitch stream.

I hope you guys enjoyed the stream. I didn't really notice the antialiasing, I was way too busy playing :v: (Also, sorry for the low quality : my connection doesn't allow me to stream higher than 480p reliably.)

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
The game looks great now and they definitely smoothed out the animations in general.

The multiplayer is really fun too. Pity the AI's still braindead.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Man I'm quite excited about this. I think I'll wait for the summer sale. 20 bucks for a 10 year old game is a bit much imo.

That being said, this is probably my all time favorite RTS. Hell, even after all these years I still remember the shortcut keys.

I'd be in for a few goon games when I get around to buying it.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

I'll probably play a bit this evening (european time).Does anyone else want to get a multiplayer game going ?

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
Finally got my key from GMG this morning. Played a bit of conquest mode, the game is just as fun as ever!

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Guys I forgot this was already out and have 3 hours of driving to do but I cannot wait.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Anyone have a 4-pack going? I'm interested in getting this but some part of me is not wanting to pay the full $20. Toss me a message on steam if you start one / have one available.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Marund

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I remember always choosing China in this game because the instant citizen creation was so good in the early game.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Anyone have a 4-pack going? I'm interested in getting this but some part of me is not wanting to pay the full $20. Toss me a message on steam if you start one / have one available.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Marund

I just added you. I have a copy left over from a 4 pack.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Just like old times.

Although I'm just about to finish 1491 by Charles C. Mann. This compels me to play a New World civ but it also makes me see just how many liberties games take with history. New World civs shouldn't have domestic animals or the wheel.

Basically: Muh immersions :qq:

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I remember always choosing China in this game because the instant citizen creation was so good in the early game.

Yeah, I did that too. They could also field an instant partisan army if things got really hairy.

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
How does the matchmaking work in the remake? All I've seen online is that it has steam matchmaking, but is there arranged team matchmaking like sc2?

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
drat, did I put a lot of time into this game way back when, I'm glad it's getting a new lease on life. I liked the British best, that 25% commerce cap bonus really helped you tech and build faster than anyone else. I really loved teching up to age 8, building a full expeditionary force including Rocket Artillery and just sweeping across the map like a gigantic, explosive curtain of death.

Also gently caress Spies, now and forever.:argh:

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
Sooo is multiplayer dead on this? Been checking the multiplayer and I am not seeing any game rooms (messed around with near, far and worldwide).

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Eararaldor posted:

Sooo is multiplayer dead on this? Been checking the multiplayer and I am not seeing any game rooms (messed around with near, far and worldwide).

I saw only five multiplayer games with the "worldwide setting".

I hope the MP picks up a little since I was a dumb teenager when this game came out so all I did was play skirmish against the AI.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
The taunts in this game are the best

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I bought this the instant I saw it on Steam.

This was a lot of fun back in the day. I only played the multiplayer a couple of times though. Maybe I will have to try it again if I can.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
I would like to play again this gem, any 4-pack ongoing?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/itaknightsoul

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I don't suppose any veterans know of a grid hotkey mod or something? SC2 spoiled me.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Does anyone know when Steamworks goes online for this game?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I've been trying to do the cold war campaign as america, how the gently caress do you win that korea mission? It's just a huge clusterfuck.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I was just playing the cold war campaign as the soviets. I took over the middle east and it switched places with afghanistan on the map so now the middle east is in central asia and afganistan is in the Arabian peninsula. What the

Edit:

"Douglas MacArthur" posted:

how the gently caress do you win that korea mission? It's just a huge clusterfuck.

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 16, 2014

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Agean90 posted:

I was just playing the cold war campaign as the soviets. I took over the middle east and it switched places with afghanistan on the map so now the middle east is in central asia and afganistan is in the Arabian peninsula. What the

Same thing happened to me. One of the first things I did when I loaded up this game was jump right into that campaign as the Soviets. What should any player do when playing as the cold war Soviets? Immediately invade Afghanistan of course! Then that happened... :(

Oh well. Maybe I will try the Alexander the Great thing or something. Or the New World one as the Spaniards. I had fun with that one back in the day.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

I've been trying to do the cold war campaign as america, how the gently caress do you win that korea mission? It's just a huge clusterfuck.

it's been years but iiirc you gotta game it either so that china doesn't interfere by keeping out of their corner or immediatly massing troopsand going by the sea to where they appear to stop them before they get really dangerous. North-Korea itself shouldn't be a big problem.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

paris no what are you doing

stop that

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Is Steamworks supposed to be online for this or not, because it still doesn't work for me?

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
In my Cold War campaign Cuba and East Africa traded places. I was a bit confused when that happened. Now I get a vertex batch error every time the US (try to) invade my glorious Soviet. I take Egypt, they get miffed, game crashes to desktop.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Datasmurf posted:

In my Cold War campaign Cuba and East Africa traded places. I was a bit confused when that happened. Now I get a vertex batch error every time the US (try to) invade my glorious Soviet. I take Egypt, they get miffed, game crashes to desktop.

Working as intended. World ends as global thermal nuclear war cleanses the unclean.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
So as some one who loves the Age of Empires/Mythology games but was busy being an alcoholic graduating highschool when this came out. Is this worth getting? Me and my buddy have been enjoying the AoE/M rereleases. We like to co-op comp stomp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Bum the Sad posted:

So as some one who loves the Age of Empires/Mythology games but was busy being an alcoholic graduating highschool when this came out. Is this worth getting? Me and my buddy have been enjoying the AoE/M rereleases. We like to co-op comp stomp.

A friend and I used to co-op comp stomp all the time in this game. Its fun to see how many cpu's you can take on or at what difficulties, I think we got to the point we could take 1 tough and 3 moderates or something. We are currently working our way back up but the steam game is much better since it doesn't get out of sync ever. The game has aged very well.

• Locked thread