Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mafoose posted:

My old postman was a lazy gently caress. Everytime he left a "we missed you" note, someone was home.
What I ended up doing is every time I got the note, I'd call the post office and they'd tell me to come in after a certain time and I would go pick it up.

One time they called him on his route and made him go to my house and hand me the box. Oh the death glare I got...

Saturday my new brakes for the MS6 were due to arrive. I rescheduled my whole morning so I could be there to receive them. I'm sitting patiently on my couch waiting for the knock for 3 loving hours. FInally I had to go to work, trotted down the stairs and on a lark check the box to find the "Sorry we missed you" slip. Fucker didn't even try to carry the box upstairs. And just now he put a loving reminder slip in there about it. Because the loving PO is open on Sunday.
I'm all worked up over this because I'd set yesterday aside to install those new brakes and today I'm waiting for the Civic exhaust which was going to be my night project. Now I'm out an entire day of car time because he's fat and lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

loving bastard Postman didn't bring me my package even though I left the "redeliver" slip in the box on Friday. I'm getting fed up with his fatass.

mafoose posted:

My old postman was a lazy gently caress. Everytime he left a "we missed you" note, someone was home.
I never get tired of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWB1u4Ej2wc

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

loving bastard Postman didn't bring me my package even though I left the "redeliver" slip in the box on Friday. I'm getting fed up with his fatass.

Call the post office and tell them. Seriously.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

I have to go and pick up my original package (if UPS would ever get here) and I'll file a complaint when I get there.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

kastein posted:

I did this when they lost my dash cam. I was told five different times that it would be delivered "tomorrow", the package has been scanned as delivered seven times, and it's still yet to make it to my mailbox or the apartment office where larger packages end up. I tried to use the online thing to report a lost or stolen package and it said my taking number was ineligible to report as lost or stolen.

gently caress USPS, I hope they go out of business forever.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
trying to convince myself about switching to 3.31s.

just more money down the drain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo.

So I went and grabbed the box and asked if I could file a complaint. The woman gave me the form and tells me "Just FYI, if you fill that out you'll probably never get any mail again. That's just how it is."

Your United States Postal Service ladies and gentlemen.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Pro Tip: You can write whatever the gently caress you want on USPS slips and they'll probably be down to oblige after they fail the first delivery attempt. My delivery guy will open my gate and drop things like tires and poo poo on my back porch for me. No complaints here.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
USPS owns, gently caress the haters.

(I've only gotten mad once and it was amazons fault for not making sla or whatever)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, can't say I've ever had a problem with my post office that was actually their fault.

Once again, Indiana proves to be full of assholes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Why did I write SLA for "guaranteed delivery date"? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've left 6 or 7 notes over the last year, it's the postman who's just too lazy to walk up a single flight of stairs.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I've left 6 or 7 notes over the last year, it's the postman who's just too lazy to walk up a single flight of stairs.

Do you live in an apartment or is he too lazy to even carry it up there and leave it? I'm sure it's a combination of laziness and fear of being sued or something when they decide to just leave your new TV or laptop or something on the porch in plain sight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Do you live in an apartment or is he too lazy to even carry it up there and leave it? I'm sure it's a combination of laziness and fear of being sued or something when they decide to just leave your new TV or laptop or something on the porch in plain sight.

He didn't even come and knock. Not on Saturday, not on today.

Edit: here's a stupid question. Looks like i'm getting dicked on the rotors & pads combo I bought so I'm just returning everything and going elsewhere. So here's the dumb part, how many rear pads usually come to a box? All the listings for front pads clearly say "FOUR PADS" but none of the listings for rears say 4, and most just have two pictures by the box. Help?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've never heard of being able to buy pads for a single wheel, I'd imagine it's a full axle's worth, ie 4 pads. Unless something's really weird on your vehicle (miata? i forget what all's in your stable)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

In doing research last time I needed brake pads I said gently caress it and bought from Advance. Rock Auto's stupid shipping policies pissed me off enough that it wasn't worth it. I think it was like $8-9 shipping for some $10 a set brake pads or something making them equivalent to AA prices and I could just go 2 blocks to the store and have them in hand within the hour.

On larger parts it seems to work out more favorably but it really irks me that every single item is shipped from someone new and for relatively expensive prices. Amazon Prime has completely ruined ordering from most websites these days.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Amazon Prime has completely ruined ordering from most websites these days.

Yeah, I mostly just use Rock Auto for part number checking these days, most of the time my orders are small and the shipping is outrageous. Last time I bought car parts Amazon's prices beat Rock Auto by over $100 once I factored in shipping costs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fucknag posted:

I've never heard of being able to buy pads for a single wheel, I'd imagine it's a full axle's worth, ie 4 pads. Unless something's really weird on your vehicle (miata? i forget what all's in your stable)

Yeah, every box of pads / shoes I've ever bought has been an axle set.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just thought it was odd. I've also never done my own rear brakes before which why I asked.

So I bought a 4 corner rotor and pad deal from Protege Garage. $300 for everything. My order came in and has been altered being just rotors. The listing has also been altered to being just rotors now (and $100 more). Dude is insisting it was never a combo. I'm inclined to just return the rotors and go elsewhere right now unless he comes through on the pads.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 2, 2014

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Shampoo posted:

Can't get an IT manager job without IT management experience. Can't get IT management experience without being an IT Manager. :psyduck:

My wife is having the same problem Re: her recently completed Paralegal Associates of Applied Science. Despite a Paralegal Associates and 10-15 years experience as an Administrative Assistant/Office Manager, if she wants to do paralegal stuff, she;s going to have to take a step back and start as an office assistant of legal office receptionist. And leave an office admin job for a small drywall and paint company that's actually pretty good in terms of job security and working environment. We both want her to eventually make more money, but she's pretty happy with her current job. I don't really want her to leave a job that's working for her so well(they're a family owned business, great folks, small office, no politics), but: Student Loans. And she does want to move into something a little more rewarding/challenging.

Also, thank you May thread for new musical choices.

edit: sonofabitch - Pandora doesn't have Laserhawk in their database!

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 2, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rhyno posted:

I just thought it was odd. I've also never done my own rear brakes before which why I asked.

So I bought a 4 corner rotor and pad deal from Protege Garage. $300 for everything. My order came in and has been altered being just rotors. The listing has also been altered to being just rotors now (and $100 more). Dude is insisting it was never a combo. I'm inclined to just return the rotors and go elsewhere right now unless he comes through on the pads.

I've never seen pads sold in anything but a complete set per axle. On the pads/rotor combo don't you have an email with your original order or something? Either way that's BS if there was a deal and now they aren't honoring it, return the stuff and don't buy from them again.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So some news about Squeak.

We took him to the regular vet today. They saw the bloodwork from the emergency vet and agreed he was in bad shape, but they want to try to hospitalize him for a few days. I agreed.

Talked to them a little while ago - he's definitely feeling a little better, he's making one hell of a racket and generally making life hell for their techs. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've never seen pads sold in anything but a complete set per axle. On the pads/rotor combo don't you have an email with your original order or something? Either way that's BS if there was a deal and now they aren't honoring it, return the stuff and don't buy from them again.

I didn't get an invoice until it shipped at which point it was altered. So I have no proof of the original deal at this point.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

People who are complaining about ROCKAUTO shipping: have you noticed that it'll tell you what warehouses stuff is shipping from? once you add items to your cart it'll show little truck icons next to parts in the catalog that are coming from the same warehouse. More than one warehouse in the cart and it'll assign a letter to each warehouse so you can optimize to the max! Takes a little work but ends up saving mad $$.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is there a way to access older, cached versions of a website? Specifically this link

http://www.protegegarage.com/1593-product-1593.html

The google cache has it from May 23rd, when I was linked to that on FB is was a rotor and pad combo on May 19th.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CountOfNowhere posted:

People who are complaining about ROCKAUTO shipping: have you noticed that it'll tell you what warehouses stuff is shipping from? once you add items to your cart it'll show little truck icons next to parts in the catalog that are coming from the same warehouse. More than one warehouse in the cart and it'll assign a letter to each warehouse so you can optimize to the max! Takes a little work but ends up saving mad $$.

I've played the Rockauto shipping game plenty - I've had two items in my cart, both from one warehouse; when I add a third item, suddenly each item is coming from a different warehouse. Remove that third item and it's back to 1 warehouse.

There's something really screwy with their ordering; it's enough that I mostly use them to look up part numbers and buy from Amazon instead, unless Rockauto is significantly cheaper.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

some texas redneck posted:

I've played the Rockauto shipping game plenty - I've had two items in my cart, both from one warehouse; when I add a third item, suddenly each item is coming from a different warehouse. Remove that third item and it's back to 1 warehouse.

There's something really screwy with their ordering; it's enough that I mostly use them to look up part numbers and buy from Amazon instead, unless Rockauto is significantly cheaper.

Exactly. I love rockauto but something is rotten in the state of Denmark. I've had 4-5 items coming from one warehouse, then I add one more item and there are suddenly 3-4 warehouses involved.

On the other hand, summit racing will give me free shipping if the order is over $100, so I've been known to eliminate warehouses from my rockauto order by moving enough stuff to my summit order that I hit $100. Summit charges more for the parts, usually, but I come out ahead... and I use the comment box on rockauto to let them know that. No response yet.

I've jokingly said before that I dare to order a fifth item from RockAuto and suddenly my five items are shipping from 6 warehouses, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

tl;dr: NINE WAREHOUSES ON MY ORDER? :wtc:

e: Rhyno, try archive.org.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 2, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cat Terrist posted:

Well huh. First time 5km run under 30 minutes. Not going to argue with that.

Nice. I always seem to just miss out. Either get 30mins 20 secs or 31 mins

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Interesting - I haven't had that happen before. My orders are usually pretty small, tho - most everything I get comes from worldpac, ROCKAUTO is just for the stuff they sell that's way cheaper than anywhere else.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I haven't really had the warehouse problem with rock auto before, however it seems like everytime I order Moog parts, I get two different versions of the part. Either version will work, but usually one is beefier and has grease zerks. I don't get it....

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I love my truck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOQ1N6S-0Es

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I'm looking for brake rotors that don't suck, won't rust like a motherfucker, and won't cost me a hundred bucks a rotor. Any of you fine gentlemen have any suggestions? Are Raybestos worth a drat anymore? For a 2000 camaro by the way.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm looking for brake rotors that don't suck, won't rust like a motherfucker, and won't cost me a hundred bucks a rotor. Any of you fine gentlemen have any suggestions? Are Raybestos worth a drat anymore? For a 2000 camaro by the way.

Well, if you don't want rust, you're SOL with any rotors made of iron, aka the vast majority of them. You could get ceramic rotors; those definitely won't be a hundred bucks each. :mmmhmm:

Honestly, stopping power is mostly in the pads and hydraulics, rotors are just a heat sink. Maybe get slotted rotors if you wanna get fancy.

Are you having any specific brake issues?

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
My AC compressor learned how to make a very deceiving knocking noise today. It's loud as gently caress and sounds like my rods want to come out and play.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The downside of me accepting that I have to sell my E39 is that I have stopped babying it, and have started hooning the gently caress out of it, and now I don't want to sell it.

I wonder how adept i can get at unbolting and rebolting a driveshaft. (It's being sold because I can't figure out a non-trailer way to pull it behind the motorhome).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I saw a real nice IH Scout today. Painted bright orange. Wish I had a pic.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

SlimManFat posted:

My AC compressor learned how to make a very deceiving knocking noise today. It's loud as gently caress and sounds like my rods want to come out and play.
They do, they're just swashplate compressor rods not engine connecting rods.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

The downside of me accepting that I have to sell my E39 is that I have stopped babying it, and have started hooning the gently caress out of it, and now I don't want to sell it.

I wonder how adept i can get at unbolting and rebolting a driveshaft. (It's being sold because I can't figure out a non-trailer way to pull it behind the motorhome).

I apologize if this is really naive, since I haven't ever towed a car behind an RV before, but since your car has a manual transmission (I think), what's preventing you from towing it in neutral, on a dolly or flat? I've retrieved a couple manual cars with a tow dolly and did just that without issue.

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 3, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fucknag posted:

Well, if you don't want rust, you're SOL with any rotors made of iron, aka the vast majority of them. You could get ceramic rotors; those definitely won't be a hundred bucks each. :mmmhmm:

Honestly, stopping power is mostly in the pads and hydraulics, rotors are just a heat sink. Maybe get slotted rotors if you wanna get fancy.

Are you having any specific brake issues?

No issues. These are for a brand new braking system.

Centric has some rotors with painted hats that may stay nice looking for at least a little while. I already have a set of their pads, so hopefully they'll play nicely together.

I just want to hear if anyone here has had experience with a particular brand that was just utter crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Cat Terrist posted:

Well huh. First time 5km run under 30 minutes. Not going to argue with that.

I weigh around 250 pounds, and am obviously not really built for running.. managed a 28 minute 5km when my brother and I were doing a mini competition. Needless to say I was surprised (and exhausted).

• Locked thread