Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Talked to the girlfriend about how I'd get a Miata one day. She looked at me like I was crazy. Maybe I am. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

8ender posted:

My bad. What is the worthless parts equivalent for the Japanese car world?

Valucraft.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Today I booked a couple motels for my road trip around the Adirondack mountains in a few weeks. I have nothing specific to do, just wanted a nice scenic area to drive around in for a few days. Yes I waited until gas was $3.80 a gallon and I was driving a V8 to go on a road trip.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

bandman posted:

Anything decent that they produce is a result of the blind squirrel -> nut principle.

Or the "even a broken clock is right twice a day" principle, whichever you prefer.

A broken clock is right twice a day, but a sundial can be used to stab people even when it's dark.

8ender posted:

OEM :v:

(don't kill me, I'm mostly making fun of the Subaru non-STI head gaskets here.)

I've spent most of the day putting our new-to-us dyno together at work, since we got the rest of the parts in today. Except this time they gave us extra things from someone else's dyno and some other equipment as well, so we'll get a call asking for those back soon I bet!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

8ender posted:

Anchor

gently caress I have gone through so many Anchor engine mounts in my Celica it isn't funny.

e; although sometimes even they get it right. The Subaru engine mounts I got from them looked better than the OEM ones, and have held up very well so far. Their transmission mount was hilariously loving bad though, all the bolt holes were 1/4" out of spec, and the brand new OEM one was softer than the 15 year old used part. :fuckoff: That's why I have a Group N trans mount.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 30, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jesus loving christ gently caress Anchor straight to hell with an exploding razor dick on fire.

I have been dumb enough to buy two sets of their mounts (one because they were cheap, two because my friends told me they had good luck with them 3 years later so I figured I should give it another shot) and they are loving awful.

The first set I never even installed, they were softer than the worn out ones like TR said and the rubber was already peeling off the metal shell. Oh, and the rubber was so gummy and screwed up right from the factory that they left nasty sludgy black marks on the insides of the shipping boxes.

The second set I installed because the factory ones were literally broken in half, it was 3AM and I had to have the drat thing out of the shop in *three hours*, I hadn't slept, and it was all I had. I had to actually stack washers between the ends of the inner sleeve and the engine block bracket (the one shaped like a fork that the through-bolt goes through) were literally about 0.2" apart even with the bolt fully torqued. loving assholes, do you even know what a digital caliper is or did you measure the original with a defective harbor freight yardstick?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Audi v8q talk time. I drove it to work and noticed it accelerates weird. It sorta surges up 300-400 rpm at a time. The oscillations are at about 2 per second. Some times it more pronounced than others. Given that my wife indicated to me that it puffs black smoke randomly and there is sooty residue all around the exhaust pipe, I'm guessing the surging is cause by some sort of fueling condition. Thoughts?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
its a german v8. give it blood. pure blood, not that tainted half-rear end dollar store poo poo.

lovely parts for rovers:

which was lovingly massaged into this:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sounds like it's running rich. A small dry shot of nitrous should even out the extra fuel.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd set it on fire and cut your losses now :v:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

leica posted:

I'd set it on fire and cut your losses now :v:

Don't worry, it'll probably self-immolate any time now.

Kidding! Or maybe not! Yay 25+ year-old German luxury cars! :supaburn:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Tear that goddamn 'puter poo poo offa there 'n slap a Holley on it. :banjo:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

its a german v8. give it blood. pure blood, not that tainted half-rear end dollar store poo poo.

lovely parts for rovers:

which was lovingly massaged into this:

Thanks once again to STR:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Motronic posted:

Sooo...I just bought this on cafepress. I don't even own a British car.

30% off sale until midnight! code: patriotic (it's at the top of the freakin' webpage)

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I sort of did a thing today.

I put down a deposit on a 2014 Subaru Outback.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Did you know there's a new one coming out in the fall, or is that part of your plan?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Did you know there's a new one coming out in the fall, or is that part of your plan?

The new ones are out already. I got a manual and they discontinued that in the 2015s.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Motronic posted:

I can't believe you STILL have that on there. That was really the joke of the joke of the gift :v:

trouser chili posted:

I've had a rotisserie attachment sitting in my basement for a decade now. Never use it. I should though, for I have learned how to make gyro meat.

I've had a rotisserie attachment for ages as well (10+ years on a very, very nice natural gas DCS grill in its own island, with a 2 burner side range). The only thing I've ever used it for is the built-in halogen light (since there's no lighting directly over the grill) - it's been long enough since it's been used that the motor is seized, and the thermocouple for the rotisserie burner is long dead. The only way to keep the rotisserie burner going is with duct tape over the valve :supaburn: and gently caress ripping the whole thing apart to replace the thermocouple.

All 3 igniters are also dead, and apparently special snowflakes - I haven't found an off-the-shelf one that will work with either the grill, rotisserie burner, or the side range (all because of size issues). I lose a bit of arm hair lighting it every weekend :haw:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 1, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I ended up getting a new grill (its the house brand, but feels sturdy enough) and a rotisserie motor for 160 out the door. 3 burners and a side burner... Need to hit the grocery store tomorrow!

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I'm employed again! :toot: I'm back to doing Internet sales. I've also got my dog back and the keys to my new apartment so things are looking up for me, but it's never too early to start a betting pool on my next breakdown!

mariooncrack posted:

I sort of did a thing today.

I put down a deposit on a 2014 Subaru Outback.

I like that generation of Outbacks and I would buy one as a mom-wagon if I ever met a dude dumb enough to knock me up. You made a fine decision.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
E: thanks radium, you really broke the forums

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phone fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 1, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Show up for work, no partner, so I've been sitting for six hours watching Top Gear. Six more hours to go.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Apparently they're calling it FREEDOM FRIDAY and that's loving dope.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mariooncrack posted:

The new ones are out already. I got a manual and they discontinued that in the 2015s.
Ah I didn't realize they were here already. I just wanted to make sure you aren't paying too much for the outgoing model ;)
Yeah I noticed there's no manual. On the new Forester there is a manual available but only on the base model and it's mileage rating is worse than the auto (or CVT I forgot). I guess they decided not to even bother with this one.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Iowa City got 4-5" of rain yesterday. My wife hit a puddle that was a great deal deeper than she expected. This is what it did to my poor Maxima's air filter:

The bottom of the airbox was FILLED with water..probably 3-4 quarts. Some obviously made it past the air filter. Of course my project last night was changing the oil/filter (for the 2nd time in 500 miles now), pulling plugs, and tearing apart the 6-7 piece intake system. Good poo poo.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Ah I didn't realize they were here already. I just wanted to make sure you aren't paying too much for the outgoing model ;)
Yeah I noticed there's no manual. On the new Forester there is a manual available but only on the base model and it's mileage rating is worse than the auto (or CVT I forgot). I guess they decided not to even bother with this one.

Ah, thanks for looking out for me, sorry if I sounded a little hostile. I was between a fairly loaded impreza and this base outback but the outback was going to have cheaper payments and cheaper to insure. I've always wanted a station wagon so I went with that. More car for the same amount of money. :)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I want to kick every Hollywood sound guy in the face who doesn't know how to properly normalize an audio track. Fucksakes a comedy flick should not have me constantly fumbling with the volume button just so I can hear all the dialogue without waking up my neighbours and setting off car alarms on the next scene. It was Get Him to the Greek btw

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I just turn on subtitles and tell anyone who complains to not hearing-shame.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

angryhampster posted:

The bottom of the airbox was FILLED with water..probably 3-4 quarts. Some obviously made it past the air filter. Of course my project last night was changing the oil/filter (for the 2nd time in 500 miles now), pulling plugs, and tearing apart the 6-7 piece intake system. Good poo poo.

Good news is that if any engine is going to survive inhaling a shitload of water it's the VQ.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

angryhampster posted:

Iowa City got 4-5" of rain yesterday. My wife hit a puddle that was a great deal deeper than she expected. This is what it did to my poor Maxima's air filter:

You are lucky the engine is ok. My dad's M35 did this and he got a new motor (thankfully, insurance pays for temporary stupidity).

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Boss X5 update. Dealer says it's the fuel pump.

He's looking to get rid of it ASAP.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I saw what I'm pretty sure was a Bugatti type 57 a couple hours ago. Given that they're valued at close to a million dollars I imagine seeing one out and driving around is pretty rare.

I wish I could have gotten a photo but it was going the other way. It was a red roadster.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Tommychu posted:

I want to kick every Hollywood sound guy in the face who doesn't know how to properly normalize an audio track. Fucksakes a comedy flick should not have me constantly fumbling with the volume button just so I can hear all the dialogue without waking up my neighbours and setting off car alarms on the next scene. It was Get Him to the Greek btw

Has anyone ever explained this? I assume its intentional but why?

Its usually only the surround sound track so I set the player on stereo and have my receiver figure out what needs to go to which speaker.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

angryhampster posted:

I had to ford a couple of rivers in the old ladies E46, as I was moving during the midst of it. First day home ownership was bailing out the sump as the power had gone out.

It appears to be perfectly fine, however.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

gently caress! Replaced the damaged subframe/engine cradle and took it to the VW dealer for alignment.

It won't align! Looks like the steering knuckle was bent in the accident... Wasted $90 on an alignment but at least a new knuckle is an easy job. FML :(

(Holy poo poo I hope there isn't frame damage...)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CountOfNowhere posted:

gently caress! Replaced the damaged subframe/engine cradle and took it to the VW dealer for alignment.

It won't align! Looks like the steering knuckle was bent in the accident... Wasted $90 on an alignment but at least a new knuckle is an easy job. FML :(

(Holy poo poo I hope there isn't frame damage...)

Won't they realign it after you replace the part? Every place I've been to before has offered that to me if there's a part that's keeping it out of alignment...

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Won't they realign it after you replace the part? Every place I've been to before has offered that to me if there's a part that's keeping it out of alignment...

I will ask but not too hopeful since it's the dealer. Worth a shot, of course!

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

CountOfNowhere posted:

I will ask but not too hopeful since it's the dealer. Worth a shot, of course!

The next question is going to be why are you going to the dealer for an alignment. So why are you going to a dealer for an alignment?

$90 buys me 6 months worth of alignments on my car from a chain place with a guy who really knows his poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh God, this is how my life feels half the time:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Onward and forward

• Locked thread